test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launch Respec: Allow us to change intial Attribute rolls please ;)

13»

Comments

• apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This falls under the same basic category of race changes.

You're free to ask for it but such a system shouldn't be added in my opinion. Some choices you should have to live with.

In any case it likely won't be changed before the 20th even if they add such a system in the future.
    I don't think you are reading carefully what he said though.

It is a known fact, that the RECOMMENDED primary stats...are not nearly as good as the secondary stats. The game (Cryptic) misled players into believing that the primary stats were the most important...when clearly...they were not.

Cryptic was supposed to be the authority on the matter. They were supposed to be operating with both knowledge and good intent. It turns out however, that they did not have at least 1 of the two (knowledge of best attribute).

What sense does it make to say:

"Well, you listened to who should have known best...and now you have to pay the penalty"?

That doesn't seem like a reasonable response or even philosophy at all...and that is precisely what you are saying here.

Your response would make sense IF it were the case that truly, the the recommended stat was the best for that class. But it simply is not. Players should absolutely NOT follow the recommend stats (at least for some of the classes). The benefits received from them are quantifiably less than that which they would receive from focusing on a secondary attribute.
  • apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I don't see why making any decisions made at character creation permanent for all time can possibly be good. In what way does punishing new players for making mistakes in their earliest moments of playing the game (and potentially anyone when the game changes on us) improve the game in any way?
    Agreed. The problem with that mentality (that no changes ought to be allowed, such as the mod there and probably many in Cryptic), is that they are either refusing to understand (or for some reason, simply incapable of understanding) that paper format =/= digital mmo format. And NW =/= DnD. NW is inspired by paper DnD...it is not synonymous with it. So to apply the mindset of a paper game to that of a digital MMO, well, it's just an exercise in very poor reasoning IMO as it fails to take into account all the relevant differences that set the 2 apart. Just because 2 entities share a few similarities does not mean that the similarities are relevant for for any and all decisions made about one...to apply to the other.

It's an odd "dogma" IMO. Times, players, genres, format...all change...so to use antiquated, misapplied reasoning to that changed system...is to abandon reason and apply "tradition." And of course...the 'appeal to tradition' is fallacious. It's a mistake in reasoning, and has its consequences.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »

His word on the subject has no more weight behind it than any other random forum user. The forum mods are not PWE/Cryptic employees.
  • veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    I admit I rerolled because of this. I originally did the 20/8 thing thinking that was best but apparently it is not. I didn't do it to min/max, rather to have a more well-rounded character in case I want to switch paragons.
  • sarezarsarezar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A paid option would suffice, either included in the full respec or as a separate option.

Just the fact that the descriptions at character creation are not telling you anything is more than enough reason. The fact that they will be making money from the rerolls is an extra reason. The fact that people will be happy and be playing the game more is another reason.

Believe me, if I have to choose between rerolling a character with full gear, expensive mounts and companions, etc and not playing the game anymore, I will choose the latter. It's not a threat, just a fact. I'm quite OCD when it comes to my characters, and if I feel that they are "not as I want them to be", I just go and play another game.

Just add a paid option: done.
  • carrotpakcarrotpak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I want this... please implement
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tkwan1 wrote: »
    This is slightly off topic of the OP, but I have to ask.

When I got on, I only saw a respec button for the powers. The feat respec was not highlighted. Did we not get a feat respec with this as well?

Yes. The power respec does the feats. It resets powers, feats, and even ability points that you chose after the initial character creation 'roll'. They just have the button under the powers tab for some reason.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • zaarel2zaarel2 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You're free to ask for it but such a system shouldn't be added in my opinion. Some choices you should have to live with.

In any case it likely won't be changed before the 20th even if they add such a system in the future.

I think ordinarily I would agree with you. However with the VAST changes made in the patch I do not. Many of my stat decisions as a CW were made based on a DPS build. I think now that I am an under-powered and under-controllng toon I would likely choose my stats differently. If I chose to stay a CW I would likely max my stats around those that granted survivability and recovery

I believe the changes were so drastic you should even allow for a complete role change with respec.
  • marlzmarlz Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2013
    bumping, so the devs get the picture ~_~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marlzmarlz Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2013
    sarezar wrote: »
    A paid option would suffice, either included in the full respec or as a separate option.

Just the fact that the descriptions at character creation are not telling you anything is more than enough reason. The fact that they will be making money from the rerolls is an extra reason. The fact that people will be happy and be playing the game more is another reason.

Believe me, if I have to choose between rerolling a character with full gear, expensive mounts and companions, etc and not playing the game anymore, I will choose the latter. It's not a threat, just a fact. I'm quite OCD when it comes to my characters, and if I feel that they are "not as I want them to be", I just go and play another game.

Just add a paid option: done.

^ Completely 100% how i feel on the matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Bumping this, with a shout out for people to please help this thread aswell;
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?247612-Race-changes-and-why-they-re-needed
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Is there any way (Zen, Astral Diamonds, etc) to change your initial Ability Score point die rolls selections?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Is there any way (Zen, Astral Diamonds, etc) to change your initial Ability Score point die rolls selections?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »

No. Despite the original attribute descriptions being flawed and downright misleading or wrong. And no Race Change.
    But it's on their radar now, let's just hope they get the glaringly obvious need for these features.
  • syllvvsyllvv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would like to have this option as well or even better a race change option.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syllvv wrote: »
    I would like to have this option as well or even better a race change option.

While I am hopeful that Cryptic will change Respecs to allow alteration of initial ability rolls, I am guessing that a racial change would most likely be a separate paid option as in many other games. Still good to have of course.
  • fablernfablern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here's hoping that this topic gets noticed by the devs and we get to change the initial attribute roll when the next module launches... would hate to abandon a character who survived caturday and fought off Valindra's invasion.
  • myo86myo86 Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2013

why do we have to live with a choice given to us that had info lacking in determining our choices. This is not about race change this about the initial ability score reroll. Part of a characters build is not just decided at the beginning since you dont know how the end game gear is going to be like and what play style that works with such end game sets.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    myo86 wrote: »
    why do we have to live with a choice given to us that had info lacking in determining our choices. This is not about race change this about the initial ability score reroll. Part of a characters build is not just decided at the beginning since you dont know how the end game gear is going to be like and what play style that works with such end game sets.

Actually it is worse than that since the info given is totally misleading. right now for DCs STR and possibly CHR (the so-called 'secondary 'stats) are better than WIS, and for TRs STR and CHR (maybe) are better than DEX......

The very least Cryptic should do to fix this is to allow a starting attribute change in the respec token.
  • darkbladessdarkbladess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 57
    edited July 2013
    Totally agree they need to add respec to include starting stats,I have a fully geared lvl 60 TR i would love to be able to change my starting ability points.

As far as the moderators (opinion) thats his opinion,and i know it is a (minority) opinion at that.I agree the starting stats they recommend arent allways the stats that each player may want for his or her character.

Also and most importantly the min/max of stats and gear makes a big difference to many players,the ability to completely redo your character from any decision from creation to end game is a huge demand from most other online games.
  • hempyhustlehempyhustle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Anyword on RACE Changes & Total re-rolls?

If PW likes money this seems a great way to get some quick. Seems from reading this thread many many people would love this and it fits in with the lore.

NO BRAINER!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.NOLIFEGAMER.com
    Play: PILLAGER* of the DEAD! By: Hempy NW-DNV3R9B4J
    ~HEMPY'S CRIT-GEN GUARDIAN FIGHTER BUILD~
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yes, race change token would be so nice. Wish they would make some.
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • valeriob80valeriob80 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    It is very encouraging that we will be getting a free respec on the 20th However I think it would also be really helpful if these launch repecs enabled you to change our starting attribute rolls.

The reason for this is that for several classes the recommended primary stats at character creation are actually worse than the secondary stats, and there is no way to know this until you have played the game a lot and read up a lot on the forums, and certainly not at character creation.

For instance, I made a TR with DEX focus and a Cleric with WIS focus since those were the recommended primary stats, but it turns out that these are for some reason overshadowed by STR and quite possibly CHR for both classes. I am sure that there are many other players in this situation and for whom allowing us to change the initial rolls would be a great help.

+1, I'd like to see it in game too

plus cheaper respec tokens for powers only or talents only (100-150 zen max)
This discussion has been closed.