test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cat vs Ioun Stone of Allure

nighthalasnighthalas Member Posts: 55
edited February 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
What advantages and disadvantages do the cat and the ioun stone of allure have for a control wizard when compared with each other? Is it better to get the cat or the ioun stone for the wizard?
Post edited by nighthalas on

Comments

• Options
    valdoraxvaldorax Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a cat, and in my personal opinion, the disadvantage of the cat is that for some reason they put the snout of a puppy dog on it instead of the nose of a cat. Whoever designed that cat was an idiot (no offense PWE). lol They need to flatten the face.

Besides that, I would say just compare the base stats of the two companions along with their runestone / equipment slots and see which would be more beneficial stat-wise according to the stats you need as a CW. That's all you really need to do in choosing these static companions because all they do is provide you with stats.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Are there any exact numbers how much stats each one adds to the player character? Is it true that cat adds more critical hit and recovery, whereas ioun stone adds less critical hit and recovery but compensates by adding other stats?
  • Options
    agiletalentagiletalent Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't have a cat, I have an ioun stone.

The ioun stone gives absolute passthrough of the stats on the stone to the character. So, if you slot it up with 400 points each of four different status, then your character will get 1600 points of stats added to it. More, if you use an eldritch rune with the "X percentage of the companions stats go to the character" added in.

My understanding (from what I've heard) is the cat only does the pass through of a couple of stats. I don't know if that's true or not, as I haven't dumped the almost 1M AD necessary to get one on one.
  • Options
    kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    Bull****. Cats gives recovery and crit while stone give recovery, crit and power. Both grant 100% item stats.

cat is better.
  • Options
    jango974jango974 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cat does not give power so for me and my use Ioun > Cat
  • Options
    rainger2rainger2 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lots of misinformation here.

The ONLY difference is in their 'passive buff' and one equipment slot.

The cat:

225 crit/recovery buff
    has a belt slot.

The stone of allure:

150 crit/power/recovery buff
    has an icon slot.

Both companions will give you 100% of the stats from ALL items you equip (except for the +maximum health stat).

See the below for more information:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?322732-Questions-about-the-cat-companion
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kashimaa1 wrote: »
    Bull****. Cats gives recovery and crit while stone give recovery, crit and power. Both grant 100% item stats.

cat is better.

You said that cat gives crit + recovery and stone gives crit + recovery + power. Why is the cat better than stone in that case? Does the cat add less to other stats but substantially more to critical hit and recovery instead?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    rainger2 wrote: »

The cat:

225 crit/recovery buff
    has a belt slot.

The stone of allure:

has an icon slot.

Both companions will give you 100% of the stats from ALL items you equip (except for the +maximum health stat).

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?322732-Questions-about-the-cat-companion

Thank you very much for the info! That's what I was looking for. :)
  • Options
    mageor0lmageor0l Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2013
    depends on what you want from it.

Stone gives power/crit/recovery, cat gives more crit/recovery but no power.
    Both pets give all their stats to you.

Cat has ring/belt/neck slot, while the stone has ring/neck/icon slot.

The Icon slot is superior to the belt slot IF you don't use a very good blue belt on it (be prepared to pay something like 600k on the AH, atleast the last time i checked).

Stone is cheaper, and will come out with ~ the same stats if you don't use a good rare belt on the cat.

If you have a BiS rare belt in your stash and you don't know what to do with it, the cat is better for sure.
    Otherwise i'd go for the stone because it is cheaper and gives you ~ equal results.
  • Options
    arashiwatanabearashiwatanabe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    By definition, the stone will be better, simply because of the 150free power it gives.
    And for the stone to lose 75crit and recovery passively is not a huge burn, due to the 150power it does give you.
    You can argue however, that crit and recovery will be better lategame.
    But that depends on your economy as a whole.

Do you have the $$$ to sink into maximizing your companion?
    Yes- Take the cat
    No- Take the stone, it's pretty simply.

Why take the cat if you have the money for it?
    - Yes, you get a belt slot, but the belt slot can also come with a very varied amount of stats compared to the Icon.
    - Yes it is defensive, but considering they have planned on making content harder, then preparing for the long run, you would also take the Cat over the stone.

That being said. If you really have so much AD that you can sink into it, you can have both aswell.

But on a ratio of 1-1
    Cat is better if you can afford it.
    Stone is better if you can't afford the cat.

Cat is better in the long long run.
    Stone is better if you aren't already at 'THE' endgame. (nobody is at the endgame as all the content for this game haven't been released, don't get confused by the simple facts that only because you've cleared the last dungeon/raid in one patch, does not mean you're at endgame.)

What would I personally use?
    Both of them.
    Why?
    Because of the above mentioned reasons.
    If your pet dies during an encounter, summoning a new one is faster than running to the other side of the encounter to resurrect it.
    No time to lose on dps right? =)

I hope my post was somewhat informative, even given the fact that most of this are my own theorycrafting around the companions for the CW, I can at least say that I've spent more time theorycrafting the best routes in terms of companions for the CW, than I've spent actually playing, so that does give my standpoint on them some solid ground.

Thanks for reading, and I'll maybe see you online :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What is the best belt for a cat and what is the best icon for the ioun stone? Can they wear purple items or is blue the best they can wear?
  • Options
    kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Here is another difference.

Ioun Stone of Allure = $20

Cat = 1 Mil AD or about 33 to 35 dollars, if you sell zen to get one. Unless you buy from a gold farmer or something, might be cheaper then.
  • Options
    granville7482granville7482 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Power is bugged Augment pets: it does not transfer over right now. (HP does not transfer over either pet but I assume this is intended)
  • Options
    ramzay81ramzay81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Stone costs 2000zen, which at the current exchange rate of 270 AD/Zen is about 540k AD. The cat costs almost twice as much.

They both give a total of 450 stats.

To me its a no-brainer: stone.
  • Options
    arashiwatanabearashiwatanabe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    I figured nobody would read and understand my post.
    Oh well... Not my problem at least. I laugh whenever people underperform so :D
  • Options
    kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Power is bugged Augment pets: it does not transfer over right now. (HP does not transfer over either pet but I assume this is intended)

Not sure where you are getting this information. I just tested mine by looking at the power stat on me, taking an item that had some power on it off of the pet and rechecking the power stat on me. It went down by an appropriate amount. Then went back up again when I replaced the item.
  • Options
    kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    There are belts with offensive slots availabe.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kiralia wrote: »
    Not sure where you are getting this information. I just tested mine by looking at the power stat on me, taking an item that had some power on it off of the pet and rechecking the power stat on me. It went down by an appropriate amount. Then went back up again when I replaced the item.

The pet gives power, and that's what he's saying is bugged.
    Not the items giving power.
  • Options
    hurk97hurk97 Member Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nighthalas wrote: »
    Are there any exact numbers how much stats each one adds to the player character? Is it true that cat adds more critical hit and recovery, whereas ioun stone adds less critical hit and recovery but compensates by adding other stats?

Base Stats at max Level:
    Cat - 225 Crit/225 Recovery
    Ion Stone of Allure - 150 Crit/150 Recovery/150 Defense

For me, I actually prefer ISA because for my TR and DC I am usually hitting pretty high diminishing returns on Crit and/or Recovery which means the extra 75 in each stat mean less. My TR is quite low on defense so the 150 defense will mean more to him than 75 in the other two. For my DC, I really want all 3 of those stats that the ISA offers.

ISA - Ring, Neck, Icon
    Cat - Ring, Neck, Belt
    Note - Health bonus does not transfer through from pet gear to character.

Something to note - Right now ISA costs 2,000 Zen and the Astral Cat costs roughly 3,500 Zen or 420,000 Astral Diamonds more.
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guardian:
    Ion Stone of Might (guards get mega defense by default, they don't need def slots for runes, having 3 offensive is preferable)
    CW focused purely on pve (CC):
    Cat - Recovery is #1 stat for such a build, and crit is a close 2nd
    All others:
    Ion stone of Alure

/endthread
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    mortmagemortmage Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rainger2 wrote: »

The cat:

225 crit/recovery buff
    has a belt slot.

The stone of allure:

has an icon slot.

Cryptic must have updated the stats since this was posted. Here are the Rank 25 stats provided by each as of 6/23/13:

Cat
    235 Critical Strike
    235 Recovery

470 Total Stat Points

Ioun Stone of Allure
    170 Power
    170 Critical Strike
    170 Recovery

510 Total Stat Points

The Stone gives 40 more points in categories that are valuable for most builds. It's pretty easy to adjust where points go with gear and enchantments, so total points is what I look for on an Augment companion.

Another thing in the Ioun Stone of Allure's favor is that it provides an Icon slot while the Cat provides a Belt slot. The most stat points you can get on a belt is 376 with a blue belt and 308 with a purple belt. Purple belts add HP, but I'd rather have the stats than HP. The offense slot on blue vs. defense slot on purple is a wash if you're careful about stat allocation. Meanwhile, Icons provide up to 463 stat points in useful categories like Power, Crit, and Recovery.

This makes the Ioun Stone of Allure the hands down winner in my book.
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mortmage wrote: »
    Cryptic must have updated the stats since this was posted. Here are the Rank 25 stats provided by each as of 6/23/13:

Cat
    235 Critical Strike
    235 Recovery

470 Total Stat Points

Ioun Stone of Allure
    170 Power
    170 Critical Strike
    170 Recovery

510 Total Stat Points

The Stone gives 40 more points in categories that are valuable for most builds. It's pretty easy to adjust where points go with gear and enchantments, so total points is what I look for on an Augment companion.

Another thing in the Ioun Stone of Allure's favor is that it provides an Icon slot while the Cat provides a Belt slot. The most stat points you can get on a belt is 376 with a blue belt and 308 with a purple belt. Purple belts add HP, but I'd rather have the stats than HP. The offense slot on blue vs. defense slot on purple is a wash if you're careful about stat allocation. Meanwhile, Icons provide up to 463 stat points in useful categories like Power, Crit, and Recovery.

This makes the Ioun Stone of Allure the hands down winner in my book.

Got here through google so just want to note these stats are incorrect.

Keep in mind the stats listed WILL be different for most characters because your Charisma increases your pets stats.

So most likely the character you put the stone of alureon, had higher charisma then the one you had the cat on.

The base amounts of stats of equal quality augment pets do not differ.
    Though note a Green one like the might stone, has 10% less base stats at the same rank as a blue. (This gets increased on a quality upgrade anyways tho, so a rank 25 might stone has equip total stats to a rank 25 alure).

I've just updated the wiki with most of the rank 1/max rank stats. Still needs the rank 30 stuff tho for when mod1 hits and we find that out. (tho someone who likes math can probably figure it out now anyways)
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    thegreeblerthegreebler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Yeah but lets talk about THE REAL ADVANTAGE OF THE STONE; It don't meow uncontrollably!!!

Edit; oops sorry for my Dark arts of Necromancy post! Didn't look!
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The active bonus of the cat is beyond <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So how would you folks compare the cat and allure stone against the new ioun stone of radiance, people will be getting through the zen promotion in a few days?
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    So how would you folks compare the cat and allure stone against the new ioun stone of radiance, people will be getting through the zen promotion in a few days?

Well, I absolutely love the stone for all my secondary characters - every new character I create will now start his/her life with 5 green promo companions - the only one that was missing was an augment companion and they will get it now. As for my main, well...that's a hard question. I currently have an Ioun Stone of Allure that I had upgraded to purple. The question is whether to put that stone aside and upgrade the new one to purple. On one hand it is expensive, but on the other hand, the stats are better and the active bonus is interesting - because, quite frankly active bonus of the Allure stone doesn't seem to do very much for me.

Now, if I upgrade the Radiance stone, I expect to get this:

Hit points: 300
    Power: 153
    Critical Strike: 153
    Recovery: 153
    Regeneration: 153

(I expect the stone will give 153 points like the Ioun stone of might, not 185 like the Ioun Stone of Allure, as it has 4 stats, not 3). Compared to the allure stone, I would get slightly less power, cs and recovery (don't care about the recovery - being a DC I have far too much of it already) but I would get quite a bit of Regen - a very good thing.

Active Bonus:

Life Steal: 165
    Deflect: 165

(I expect the stone will give 165 because that's what the other 2-stat companions give when upgraded to purple). Now, for me those stats are interesting, being a DC with a GS around 16K, I have pretty much hit the soft caps on all the stats that really matter, and from my calculations it seems that increasing Life Steal and Deflect (where I currently have very few points) will actually benefit me most at this time.

Of course, I will lose one defensive runestone slot - where I currently have a R8 Eldritch stone, adding 9% of the stone's basic stats, but if I keep that stone I would get 220 ArPen instead.

So is it worthwhile to switch - quite frankly, I'm not sure. One thing I really don't know is how effective that 10% slow chance is - toes it really help my ream mate when I'm in a group, or is it too insignificant to notice
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    The question is whether to put that stone aside and upgrade the new one to purple.

If I was you I'd hold off upgrading until after the next module unless you have lots of spare AD , I'm pretty sure I read one of the developers say they were looking into the cost to upgrade companions and I think there could be a good chance that they will lower upgrade cost in module 3 .

Personally I wish they would give every companion the option to upgrade into a augment , maybe at the lvl 25 upgrade give the option to continue as a combat pet for one price or for a higher cost you can upgrade it to augment , it loses all offence and defense skills but starts to act like a augment , there are so many really cool looking companions but hardly anybody ever uses them because the Cat and Ioun stones are so much better and it's a real shame.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    If I was you I'd hold off upgrading until after the next module unless you have lots of spare AD , I'm pretty sure I read one of the developers say they were looking into the cost to upgrade companions and I think there could be a good chance that they will lower upgrade cost in module 3 .

Personally I wish they would give every companion the option to upgrade into a augment , maybe at the lvl 25 upgrade give the option to continue as a combat pet for one price or for a higher cost you can upgrade it to augment , it loses all offence and defense skills but starts to act like a augment , there are so many really cool looking companions but hardly anybody ever uses them because the Cat and Ioun stones are so much better and it's a real shame.

I very much doubt they will reduce the price of upgrading from Green to Blue by much if at all. Otherwise everyone who got a Ioun Stone of Radiance (and there were a LOT of people) would simply upgrade that instead of buying the Ioun Stone of Allure from the ZEN store. They might reduce the upgrade cost from Blue to Purple though.
  • Options
    ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I very much doubt they will reduce the price of upgrading from Green to Blue by much if at all. Otherwise everyone who got a Ioun Stone of Radiance (and there were a LOT of people) would simply upgrade that instead of buying the Ioun Stone of Allure from the ZEN store. They might reduce the upgrade cost from Blue to Purple though.

That's the whole point. Why have an upgrade system that no one uses because it's way out of line with value.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ashnvf wrote: »
    That's the whole point. Why have an upgrade system that no one uses because it's way out of line with value.

Actually people do use companion upgrades just not people like me (or I suspect from your post you either). The upgrades are useful and worth it but only to those with near maxed gear for whom the cost of upgrading companions for the passive bonus is better value than upgrading their runes.

Whereas if Cryptic reduced the upgrade cost in AD then no-one with the Ioun Stone of Radiance would ever bother buying the Allure Stone, which would cost them a fair amount of AD / ZEN eventually.