test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Close Client and Restart!

magusryzelmagusryzel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I kept my launcher running for 3 hours straight, getting "Patching ..." at incredibly low speeds. The Dev Tracker post said *not* to restart the Patcher, so I kept it running.

Now keep in mind, 11 of my friends that started patching *after* me are all online playing, some for hours. Their secret? They all kept shutting down the client and restarting.

So, I restarted the patcher. It took 9 tries, but I am now getting almost-decent speed. I have patched 10% in less than 5 minutes. Yes, that's sad, but it's 10x better than previous performance!!!
Post edited by magusryzel on

Comments

• sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Update if you get past 11% ;)
  • fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    confirmed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • magusryzelmagusryzel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sirnamed wrote: »
    Update if you get past 11% ;)

42% and counting. FYI, it updated the launcher as well...
  • satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I tried it, got to 51% then took ages to hit 66%, I restarted and gained another 10% quickly but then it slowed down again.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it gets along, stops. I restart the launcher and when it manages to start, patches fast, then slows... and stops. Wash rinse repeat. But the mount to patch is less each time, so I'm making progress :)
  • harityharity Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    just closed and restarted launcher, it updated and voila decent speed 378 mb in 1 minut.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    . . . . . . Most likely, if you need to restart the launcher to get a better speed, than it is a router relay station (hops, pings, or packet loss) that is causing the issue and not the game servers. This method works for anything experiencing internet latency to an end server due to internet relay issues.

. . . . . Storms, heat, and many other factors can play a role in such and such will generally not be widespread unless it affects major relay centers and/or areas. Just as well, end server issues could compound things as well, for sure. When I cannot get a good speed to somewhere, I usually end up rebooting the modem and router.

. . . . .
    As well, I am sure the servers are under heavy load while many people (like myself) cram to get the latest patch.
  • betazeebetazee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Works like a charm. Five stop and go's and fully patched in under 15mins
  • rockstar022rockstar022 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They've just recently fixed something it seems.

I've restarted probably 50 times today. Just now though I restarted again, and it patched my launcher. Then when the launcher launched, it began patching notably faster. It's still not exactly screaming, but it's a lot closer to what one expect from a download server with a high load.

If you're still downloading at the speed of smell, try a restart now and see what happens.
  • realborealbo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you for this. I had 800mb left and I've been patching since morning. Cryptic told us not to restart patcher so I didn't.
    I tried restarting it and 800mb got patched in less than 15 minutes.
    Admiralsig.png
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agreed. It's just a shame it took so long to get this. Who would of thought the servers would had been so busy :P
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • rumpleforesk1nrumpleforesk1n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . .Most likely, if you need to restart the launcher to get a better speed, than it is a router relay station (hops, pings, or packet loss) that is causing the issue and not the game servers. This method works for anything experiencing internet latency to an end server due to internet relay issues.

Sooo... The "Internet" is slow today...

I'll call my ISP and ask them to reboot the "relay station" or ping the hops out of the internet box that's causing all of us this packet loss.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Sooo... The "Internet" is slow today...

I'll call my ISP and ask them to reboot the "relay station" or ping the hops out of the internet box that's causing all of us this packet loss.
    *chuckles madley*

. . . . . Your ISP may control one or more (Comcast has many) or they might not even own one, depending on what ISP you have. Think of it like a web covering the world (hence "World Wide Web, WWW"), where-every strand meets, there is a relay station. One downed station can cause a many users to be hopped through other relay stations to get to their destination, causing packet loss and latency.
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Restarting might choose a new path from client to server. But it also sends a new request to the patch servers. So one of the two is helping.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
    edited June 2013
    There are several things that restarting could do depending on how the Launcher is programmed.

In this case though, it allows the patcher to download an update which has somehow helped with the game patch speed. My guess is that they added mirrors.
  • sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    *chuckles madley*

. . . . . Your ISP may control one or more (Comcast has many) or they might not even own one, depending on what ISP you have. Think of it like a web covering the world (hence "World Wide Web, WWW"), where-ever strands meet is a relay station. One down station can cause a many users to be hopped through other relay stations to get to their destination, causing packet loss and latency.

I confess my lack of technical knowledge, so pardon my ignorance, but is it not wildly implausible that people all over the world experienced a simultaneous issue with their respective local ISPs?
  • dpglerchdpglerch Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Launcher just freezes been like this since last night
    edited June 2013
    I confess my lack of technical knowledge, so pardon my ignorance, but is it not wildly implausible that people all over the world experienced a simultaneous issue with their respective local ISPs?

Sir,

I work in the Satellite Communications industry, which is very similar. As a matter of fact, sometimes we do operate as ISPs. I also stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

As such I feel qualified to inform you that yes, that does seem implausible.

It is much more likely that the server network and/or connection to it was not sufficient to handle the demand of all of the users attempting to access it, and that something was recently implemented to correct this, requiring a patch to the launcher which was just pushed within this hour.
  • rumpleforesk1nrumpleforesk1n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I'm thinking my sarcasm was lost in translation.

Two realistic probabilities with something like this... the infrastructure hosting the primary patching servers is having some sort of issue that's affecting some, but not all of their download servers, or (more likely) They're mirrored to multiple locations and one or more of those mirrors are getting beat the hell up. Reconnecting gives you a chance to connect to a different mirror and/or server thus the vast improvement after reconnecting after X # of tries...
    edited June 2013
    I did not dismiss such a claim as server issues, in fact I even agreed that this may be a cause. Do please take in my whole statements and not just parts to argue about.
  • vulpushvulpush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1 it works this is INSANE ... I wanna hug you hard magusryzel :)

PS if however after a time the speed drops - RESTART launcher :)
  • rodostorodosto Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    . . . . . . Most likely, if you need to restart the launcher to get a better speed, than it is a router relay station (hops, pings, or packet loss) that is causing the issue and not the game servers. This method works for anything experiencing internet latency to an end server due to internet relay issues.

. . . . . Storms, heat, and many other factors can play a role in such and such will generally not be widespread unless it affects major relay centers and/or areas. Just as well, end server issues could compound things as well, for sure. When I cannot get a good speed to somewhere, I usually end up rebooting the modem and router.

. . . . .
    As well, I am sure the servers are under heavy load while many people (like myself) cram to get the latest patch.

Just make it peer to peer and this will be never happens again.

Im assuming you guys arent newbies. The torrent system far better than this direct download.
  • vulpushvulpush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They are limiting it ... or their ISP. Nobody wants HDs and modems / routers / etc. burned down
    edited June 2013
    rodosto wrote: »
    Just make it peer to peer and this will be never happens again.

Im assuming you guys arent newbies. The torrent system far better than this direct download.
    . . . . . I actually loathe peer-to-peer connections and such is disabled in this house-hold. I hope they never go this route for patching or at least offer alternatives like they do for the base download. On top of that, going P2P for delivery would restrict many users on school and campus networks as well as even possibly other Countries entirely.