test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kevrlet's Guide to Gauntlgrym

thekevrletthekevrlet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
I had the (seemingly) unique experience of being online and in an eligible guild during the Gauntlgrym event today. Here's what I learned:
The Basics

Participation

To participate, you have to be in a guild that is aligned to one of the factions. It doesn't matter how large the guild is, and you don't have to party with members of your guild. The entirety of the event, save for the pvp portion, is performed on the same overworld map, which happens to be the one you enter when you go to Gauntlgrym from the map.

It seems a lot of people aren't getting this, so...
If you are in a guild that has aligned with a faction here, you can move to the map at any time just by going to the exit of a zone and picking the Gauntlgrym area. You do not have to queue for anything except the pvp portion in Phase 2. The rest is all done in an overworld zone, and you never have to party to accomplish anything in this zone.

The Map

I haven't marked the Grand Hall, because I simply don't remember where it was, sorry. My memory is exceptionally poor. Taken from my alt, so excuse the lack of exploration on this one. Will update when I get into the event again. Also, this is from the Delzoun side. If anyone can provide a map of the other side, I'll add it as well.
2n9cdxw.png
Phase 1 - The Iron Tabernacle
Time Limit: 30 minutes

NPCs

Duergar Miner
Hits for around 1500 on a partially T2-geared cleric, has about the same HP as T1 dungeon trash mobs. Drops Stolen Barding, Duergar Weapons and Dwarven Relics which are used for the Objectives detailed below.

Duergar Guard
Basically the same as a miner, drops the same stuff.

Duergar Rider
Hits for about 2-3k on my cleric, has as much HP as a T1 dungeon 'tough' trash mob (Eye of Gruumsh, etc). Has a dash attack like Deathpledged. Immune to CC and has high damage reduction until 50% hp, when it falls off its mount. After that it loses the CC immunity, damage reduction and dash attack. Drops the same items as the other Duergar.

Hellthorn Golem
Hits for about 4k to 7k, depending on the attack. Exceptionally easy to avoid, it has about the same HP as an Ogre in a T1 dungeon. It took my cleric about 10 minutes to solo all 3 at once. These defend the objectives for phase 1, and only 3 exist at each point.

Earth Elemental
Did not find these in the 15 minutes I had, but I expect they will be like the Duergar Riders in toughness. They drop Elemental Earth for restarting the pumps at the Stables

Fire Elemental
Same as above, only they drop Elemental Fire for the Forge.

The Blasphemer
I obviously didn't get to kill, or even fight, this boss. I expect him to be equivalent of a T1 dungeon end boss. Killing him nets a large chunk of points for your team. It also gives you points towards Amusud's loyalty for phase 2.

Objectives

The primary objective is to score as many points as possible. Points are earned by capturing and utilizing the Forge and Stables, collecting quest item drops (earth/fire/barding/weapons/relics), and possibly others. Wining this phase grants a buff for the pvp in phase 2.

The Forge
Located on the north end, the forge is guarded by 3 Hellthorn Golems. Once these are dead you need to feed Elemental Fire to the forge to relight it. Once lit, you can deliver Duergar Weapons to the forge to score points for your team

The Stables
Located on the south end, the stables are also guarded by 3 Hellthorn Golems. Once dead, you need to feed Elemental Earth to the pumps to reactivate the stables. Once active, you can deliver Stolen Barding to the stables to score points for your team.

Phase 2 - The Armories of Moradin

NPCs

The NPCs for phase 2 are the same as in phase 1, except they are significantly weaker (on the level of non-dungeon mobs). Also, golems and the Blasphemer do not exist.

Objectives

As with before, the primary objective is to score as many points as possible. This time, this is largely done through PvP and the other objectives simply support your pvp team.

Fight in the Armory
You queue for PvP, and go. That's all I know as I obviously couldn't queue for this, being the only person participating. I don't remember exactly, but I believe this was on a 10 minute timer for queuing.

Construct Catapults
Around the map you'll find carts, which contain lumber. On the west end of the map you will find catapults, on the north and south sections. Delivering the lumber to these catapults will eventually finish their construction, and they will help your pvp team somehow. You also score points by delivering the lumber.

Appeasing Amusud
Time Limit: 15 minutes
In the center of the map is the Great Hall. Once you clear the Great Hall, you can deliver Scavenged Food (the fire pit) and Dwarven Artifacts (the chest) to earn Amusud's favor. After 15 minutes, the team with the most points gets Amusud to help them in the PvP map.

Load Mine Carts
After Amusud's mini-event is over, you can go downstairs from the Great Hall and deliver stacks of 5 Elemental Earth or Elemental Fire to the carts there for glory rewards.

Phase 3 - The Crypts of Delzoun

Basically, there's 2 dungeons here. Losing means you can only enter the T1 dungeon, Fardelver Crypt. Winning means you can enter Fardelver Crypt or the Dwarf King's Crypt. The entrances are to the north and south of the Gauntylgrym entrance. Entering requires shares (which you get if you participated in the first and/or second phase). The Fardelver Crypt requires one of either of the shares. The Dwarf King's Crypt requires one of both shares. This means to enter the Dwarf King's crypt, you need to have participated in both phases of the event.

Also, note the time limit. You only have 30 minutes once this phase starts to enter the dungeons.

So...why bother?

The answer is two-fold. One, it's something new to do. Two, there are new gear rewards. Some of the gear is very nice, some of it is garbage. The sets for the Grym Coins (obtained during the dungeons, or possibly the pvp map, not from the overworld events), which happen to be the new PvP gear, are thus:

Control Wizard
2296 HP
7 AC
1271 Power
1271 Recovery
574 Armor Penetration
521 Defense
2 piece bonus: 450 Recovery
4 piece bonus: 30% shorter cooldown and 5% extra damage on spell mastery spell

Great Weapon Fighter
13 AC
1271 Power
1271 Critical Strike
574 Armor Penetration
1762 Defense
2 piece bonus: 1800 HP
4 piece bonus: 5% deflect chance, encounter powers slow enemies 5% (stacks 3 times)

Guardian Fighter
2296 HP
14 AC
574 Power
2608 Defense
1271 Deflection
2 piece bonus: 450 defense
4 piece bonus: 25% more guard meter and 10% faster run speed

Trickster Rogue
2296 HP
8 AC
1271 Critical Strike
1271 Armor Penetration
644 Defense
574 Life Steal
2 piece bonus: 450 Life Steal
4 piece bonus: 25% more stealth meter, deal 5% more damage while stealthed

Devoted Cleric
12 AC
1322 Power
1322 Recovery
990 Defense
1047 Life Steal
2 piece bonus: 450 Recovery
4 piece bonus: 25% faster divinity gain, 5% more healing
Post edited by thekevrlet on

Comments

• Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    I play a GWF and I'm crying for our set.... why power ? Power is useless for a GWF. Should be armor penetration and recovery. Seriously who is designing this doesn't have a clue.

Should instead be:

Great Weapon Fighter
    13 AC
    1271 Armor Penetration
    1271 Critical Strike
    574 Recovery
    1762 Defense
    4 piece bonus: 5% deflect chance, encounter powers slow enemies 5% (stacks 3 times)
  • Options
    serpentttserpenttt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    I play a GWF and I'm crying for our set.... why power ? Power is useless for a GWF. Should be armor penetration and recovery. Seriously who is designing this doesn't have a clue.

Should instead be:

Great Weapon Fighter
    13 AC
    1271 Armor Penetration
    1271 Critical Strike
    574 Recovery
    1762 Defense

Wouldn't say useless, just not worth stacking to extremely high numbers.
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    why Lifesteal for a Cleric?

do Clerics even use Lifesteal a lot?
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    serpenttt wrote: »
    Wouldn't say useless, just not worth stacking to extremely high numbers.

Power is the LEAST desirable stat for a GWF.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

You know, what struck me about that set was the 4-piece bonus. It's quite possibly the most useless bonus I've ever seen on an armor set in any game. In PvP the slow won't help. In PvE god knows it's useless because you generally don't need to slow mobs, and if you do you need a lot more than 15% for it to be any use (because mobs are so much faster than you). And that 5% deflect change basically correlates to a 2.5% damage reduction over time, unless you have a lot of deflection severity from potions or something. So for completing a whole T2 set you get 2.5% less damage and a useless slow effect.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    why Lifesteal for a Cleric?

do Clerics even use Lifesteal a lot?

My main, as stated, is a cleric. We do not. The only attacking we happen to do is sunburst (for AP), Brand of the Sun (for AP/divinity), Forgemaster's Flame (for healing or divinity) and Astral Seal (for passive healing). None of these skills do damage even remotely worth mentioning. In fact, a crappy rogue can do more damage with one at-will than a cleric's entire skill set can do. Life Steal might equate to half a sunburst, during the entire battle, for us.
  • Options
    crystalyzedcrystalyzed Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    so did you actually play the gametype or just stand in the area look at what npcs said and wrote down what each set of gear does
  • Options
    jellichojellicho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    The Rogue 2 and 4 piece bonuses are worthless. Except for the life steal which MIGHT be ok in PvP, life steal as a stat for rogues is overall bad. Swashbuckler's set will still be bis.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    so did you actually play the gametype or just stand in the area look at what npcs said and wrote down what each set of gear does

I played it, as much as I could being the only one in the event. If there were enough people to actually attack the Phase 1 boss, or enter the PvP in phase 2 I'd have more to report.
  • Options
    crystalyzedcrystalyzed Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ah so ur still in my boat we have 20 ppl waiting for some other guild to round up 20 to see if we can actually play :P
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was actually looking forward to Gauntlgrym. But seeing as how I'm not in a guild it doesn't sound like I'll be able to participate. Which is disappointing.
  • Options
    verysadisticverysadistic Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lifesteal for Cleric's set? This has just confirmed my suspicion that the devs have absolutely no idea about the game...
  • Options
    finalwinterfinalwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are you kidding me???? Everyone else gets great gear with great stats/effects and the GWF is stuck again with garbage gear? WTF do these people have against the GWF? So sick of this BS...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thestatesmanthestatesman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited June 2013
    Holy ****, these fighter gears. Just delete those classes already, Cryptic. Jesus Christ.
  • Options
    odinspathodinspath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you for taking the time to compile these information! It definitely got me stoked for Gauntlgrym. However I have a couple of questions.

1. Would it be possible for you to post screenshots of the maps of the first and second phases of Gauntlgrym?
    2. In order to participate in the event, does it have to be 20 members of a guild? Or is it 5 members of 1 guild per party?
    3. How many Grym Coins can one earn per event?
    4. And lastly, I'm pretty sure that the giant fights for you. But what exactly do catapults do? I'm imagining they rain fire against the opponents but how exactly do they work?

Thank you so much in advance! I'm looking forward to your answers. :) And I'm also looking for a guild in the Public Test Shard to test Gauntlgrym, just so we/I can further advance my knowledge of the event before the live launch. If anyone is looking for another testing member please feel free to send me a PM!
  • Options
    darmathorndarmathorn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So we just finished all the phases and are sitting outside waiting to Q for the new instances. The Gates are labeled Tier 5(Fardelver Crypt) and Tier 6(Dwarf King Crypt) depending on what you enter.

We had a group of 4 that actually cleared all the phases. Because we did not have any pvp opponents we had to wait for that phase to complete. During that time if you are not pvp'ing you can gain Glory by adding earth or fire elemental items to the mining carts under the great hall. The Bosses have interesting abilities but nothing that a geared group can not handle.

We actually did not get any coins. I am going to say that was because we didn't get to enter the actual dungeons due to not having enough people with the Shares you need.

You can not invite someone who did not participate in the event to join the Q. Once you have won, you have 30 minutes to Q up for the dungeons before you are no longer able to Q anymore.

The catapults assist in attacking the Giant in the Great Hall.

Based on what we could see in regards to the instance, speed is your greatest weapon. Most of the mobs don't hit hard for the PVE side of things.

The gear that was listed earlier in this post is the new PVP Tier gear only. I was hoping to do a run today of at least one of the dungeons to find out if:

A) New gear is BOP
    B) New Stats
    C) Worth it :)

Hope this post makes since. I am pretty tired lol.
  • Options
    swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Are you kidding me???? Everyone else gets great gear with great stats/effects and the GWF is stuck again with garbage gear? WTF do these people have against the GWF? So sick of this BS...

It's PvP T2 items. The Cleric set has absolutely no draw to it to make me replace my gear for it either, but without things like resilience or diminishing returns, PvP items are already at an inherent disadvantage versus PvE gear.
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To be honest the old WoW 24/7 Alterac Valley is so far I would go with a PvE/PvP map with a attached DAoC Darkness Falls dungeon.

After reading this, gauntlgrym seems a waste, skip....
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not a WoW player so I did not understand what you just tried to point out, x0y1. However, I believe you should most probably try it out before making that conclusion. :) For all we know it could be fun, and a different experience, as Neverwinter is a separate and completely different game from WoW, and has a lot of room for improvement.

I hope to see a lot of people later in the Public Test Shard who are willing to test the new Gauntlgrym content with other people!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you for taking the time to compile these information! It definitely got me stoked for Gauntlgrym. However I have a couple of questions.

1. Would it be possible for you to post screenshots of the maps of the first and second phases of Gauntlgrym?
    2. In order to participate in the event, does it have to be 20 members of a guild? Or is it 5 members of 1 guild per party?
    3. How many Grym Coins can one earn per event?
    4. And lastly, I'm pretty sure that the giant fights for you. But what exactly do catapults do? I'm imagining they rain fire against the opponents but how exactly do they work?

Thank you so much in advance! I'm looking forward to your answers. :) And I'm also looking for a guild in the Public Test Shard to test Gauntlgrym, just so we/I can further advance my knowledge of the event before the live launch. If anyone is looking for another testing member please feel free to send me a PM!

1. It's all the same map, actually. I can post a screen tomorrow (and more screens if necessary) when I log back on.
    2. The pvp, I honestly don't know. To just participate you only need to be in an aligned guild (even if the guild has 1 member). The map you do the phases on is the map you enter gaunt on, it's not an instance just an overworld zone. All solo players can help.
    3. You get no coins from the events themselves, just the dungeons.
    4. Once built, they operate independently and do...something. Since we can't currently enter the pvp part due to lack of players, that's all I know. Sorry. (apparently I was corrected here, they help with the main hall, possibly in addition to helping with the pvp. We'll find out later).
  • Options
    dethcorddethcord Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    Mage's 4 piece bonus is sweet, but for fks sake, why 0 crit?

If I'll swap my shadow weaver for this set - I'll throw away 1700 crit and 500 defence for like 600 more power and 2.2k hp. Plus, it's 2 piece bonus is uselss. So it's basically minus 2172 crit which would murder any fine-built mage's dps immidiately.

Honestly GWFs shouldn't whine, their sets are fine. Atleast they have crit.

Edit: Thanks for the info, OP.
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How do you queue for this ,we have 20 v 20 on the test server right now, and nothigns happening
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skipping this event as a whole , not worth it .
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thekevrlet wrote: »
    My main, as stated, is a cleric. We do not. The only attacking we happen to do is sunburst (for AP), Brand of the Sun (for AP/divinity), Forgemaster's Flame (for healing or divinity) and Astral Seal (for passive healing). None of these skills do damage even remotely worth mentioning. In fact, a crappy rogue can do more damage with one at-will than a cleric's entire skill set can do. Life Steal might equate to half a sunburst, during the entire battle, for us.
    I wouldn't assume that YOUR build is the ONLY way to play a cleric. So it's not "we", it's "I" for the entirety of the above quote.

That said, it's a very odd set indeed - I'd much rather see crit than lifesteal.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    However, I believe you should most probably try it out before making that conclusion. :) For all we know it could be fun, and a different experience, as Neverwinter is a separate and completely different game from WoW, and has a lot of room for improvement.

I would love to. But it sounds like I can't "try it out" as I'm not in a guild. Yeah I know, "join a guild". Thanks!
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2013

The GF gear is COMPLETE garbage too so dont think your the only one who isnt getting better sets.

Also this ISNT the drop sets its what you can buy correct?

OP can you answer this? I am assuming this is just the gear you can BUY for doing the event, but it sounds like it is not the same as the loot available INSIDE the dungeon and/or from the delve chest?
  • Options
    vlayde9vlayde9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So you have to be in a guild or you can't queue for this?
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    25% more Stealth meter for the rogue set...? If you're on the Saboteur Feat path, you just scored big!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    25% more Stealth meter for the rogue set...? If you're on the Saboteur Feat path, you just scored big!

Yeah, I was drooling over that. This makes the perma-stealth type builds even better.