test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launch Respec: Allow us to change intial Attribute rolls please ;)

mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
It is very encouraging that we will be getting a free respec on the 20th However I think it would also be really helpful if these launch repecs enabled you to change our starting attribute rolls.

The reason for this is that for several classes the recommended primary stats at character creation are actually worse than the secondary stats, and there is no way to know this until you have played the game a lot and read up a lot on the forums, and certainly not at character creation.

For instance, I made a TR with DEX focus and a Cleric with WIS focus since those were the recommended primary stats, but it turns out that these are for some reason overshadowed by STR and quite possibly CHR for both classes. I am sure that there are many other players in this situation and for whom allowing us to change the initial rolls would be a great help.
Post edited by mconosrep on

Comments

• gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    /signed

+1
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Not likely going to happen. Respecs do not allow modification of the initial attributes.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agree..changes to what is important now too. +2 But old school..Leave with who you came to the dance with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Not likely going to happen. Respecs do not allow modification of the initial attributes.

Well, since the original Stats info was misleading to many, why not add the feature in to Respecs, or make a new little feature for it? More money for the Devs/PW, more fun for us - since we were the one who played misinformed while testing out your product, and helped you make it better. :)
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Except they should.
  • gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

That's why the OP is asking for Cryptic to allow us to respec our initial attributes.

If Cryptic didn't screw up how our initial attributes was to begin with, this request wouldn't even have been made. The primary stats Cryptic told us were important to put points in for Rogues and Clerics, really aren't. They're more like secondary stats.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

If a system change drastic enough, it should allow us to re-roll our attribute.
    Why?
    Many of the features are character base only. People are attached to their character and would like to tweak it. Make it a Zen item.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I'm pretty sure that's why the OP asked for it. Wouldn't need to request it if it already did this.

And while I am not a fan of respecing all the time. (Hate games that have you resetting your whole character for every dungeon/boss.) I also think they should let us change the rolled starting stats. Something they should consider at least.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    This falls under the same basic category of race changes.

You're free to ask for it but such a system shouldn't be added in my opinion. Some choices you should have to live with.

In any case it likely won't be changed before the 20th even if they add such a system in the future.
    edited June 2013
    This falls under the same basic category of race changes.

You're free to ask for it but such a system shouldn't be added in my opinion. Some choices you should have to live with.

In any case it likely won't be changed before the 20th even if they add such a system in the future.

Ambisinisterr still advocating a resounding "Nay!" to something so many people want, that's supported by the D&D he claim to want to protect, yet still he refuses! :D (Race Change)
    But Ambi; Informed choices are easier to live with than what we got; hidden information or just misleading, when rolling stats for instance.
    And the whole "Some choices you should have to live with"-argument... on a game forum online, talking about a fantasy MMO... falls abit short, imo. Not disagreeing in general with you, I just don't see what's so terrible about it. Nor do countless others.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    Ambisinisterr still advocating a resounding "Nay!" to something so many people want, that's supported by the D&D he claim to want to protect, yet still he refuses! :D (Race Change)
    But Ambi; Informed choices are easier to live with than what we got; hidden information or just misleading, when rolling stats for instance.
    And the whole "Some choices you should have to live with"-argument... on a game forum online, talking about a fantasy MMO... falls abit short, imo. Not disagreeing in general with you, I just don't see what's so terrible about it. Nor do countless others.

While I understand that the PnP version won't allow stat change because we have all these RULES laid out. In MMO, we don't have all the hidden numbers. We don't have the secret formula of what stats does what AND we don't know what changes will come. In PnP, a GM can adjust accordingly if a supplemental rule comes out.

Even "rolling" stat is not even RNG. It is a table of fixed stats. So I think re-stat should be available.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
    edited June 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    While I understand that the PnP version won't allow stat change because we have all these RULES laid out. In MMO, we don't have all the hidden numbers. We don't have the secret formula of what stats does what AND we don't know what changes will come. In PnP, a GM can adjust accordingly if a supplemental rule comes out.

Even "rolling" stat is not even RNG. It is a table of fixed stats. So I think re-stat should be available.

+1
    This. Spot on.
    Nail, a head is on it.
    **** it.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

So even thought the information given is at best, totally misleading, then you feel players should live with that choice.

Seems a very harsh attitude.......
    edited June 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    So even thought the information given is at best, totally misleading, then you feel players should live with that choice.

Seems a very harsh attitude.......

Great attitude for a mod to have, eh? Just deal with your character not being as strong as it can be, due to the ineptitude on Cryptic's part.
    edited June 2013
    I am entitled to an opinion. My vote is this shouldn't ever be added. Sorry if you disagree.

In any case I answered the question to the best of my ability. Even if this feature was to be added it's not likely to be added for the twentieth.
    edited June 2013
    Great attitude for a mod to have, eh? Just deal with your character not being as strong as it can be, due to the ineptitude on Cryptic's part.

Have you not yet noticed the magnificence, the impartial and reasonable nature, of our old Ambi? ;)
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I don't see why making any decisions made at character creation permanent for all time can possibly be good. In what way does punishing new players for making mistakes in their earliest moments of playing the game (and potentially anyone when the game changes on us) improve the game in any way?
    edited June 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I don't see why making any decisions made at character creation permanent for all time can possibly be good. In what way does punishing new players for making mistakes in their earliest moments of playing the game (and potentially anyone when the game changes on us) improve the game in any way?

Especially when the information given at character creation is badly misleading......
  • bioxragebioxrage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am entitled to an opinion. My vote is this shouldn't ever be added. Sorry if you disagree.

In any case I answered the question to the best of my ability. Even if this feature was to be added it's not likely to be added for the twentieth.

Would this be possibly added in the "Zen Shop?" or not at all as stated.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why the hell would it be a separate item at all and not part of the existing respec token? What is wrong with you?
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ambisinisterr - I have to agree that I'd understand the statement (by a developer not a community mod) if we were giving better information BEFORE starting the game. I understand this is your opinion but when you speak people do listen as though it is coming from a developer.

Right now, the information we have for attributes is vague for character creation. It seems as though Cry wanted the look n feel (at character creation) to be more toward the PnP game, however, when you enter the game world you see the attributes differently.

Here is the information we have a character creation and what it actually does in game for the Cleric. I know the Attributes affect different things per class, but I had to choose my Class before getting to the Attribute information at creation creation.

Attribute
    Character Creation
    In Game

Strength
    measures a character's physical power.
    Stamina Regeneration, Critical Chance, DoT Damage Resistance

Constitution
    represents a character's health, stamina and vital force.
    Maximum Hit Points

Dexterity
    measures hand-eye coordination, agility, reflexes, and balance.
    AoE Damage Resist, Deflection Chance

Intelligence
    describes how well a character learns and reasons.
    Recharge Speed Increase

Wisdom
    measures a common sense, perception, self-discipline and empathy.
    Damage Bonus, Bonus Healing, Control Bonus, Control Resist

Charisma
    measures force of personality, persuasiveness, and leadership.
    Recharge Speed Increase, Action Point Gain, Companion Stat Bonus, Combat Advantage Damage

The only attribute information at character creation that is even remotely close is the Constitution description. Now if I could see the in game information while at character creation (and attribute stat rolls), I'd understand not have any ability to reroll these. Also understand that there is an income option if a Zen item is created that would allow an attribute reroll. This applies for a Race change as well, look how long it took other MMO's to do create it, and all of them charge extra for it!

I'd personally keep your opinion out of the Community Developer account and create an account just for chatting with us. I only say this because it seems as though you are stating this from the Developers. Now this is my opinion; not an attack against you or Cry/PW.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1 yes please free reroll
  • alaric63alaric63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You will be able to reassign the additional Ability Score points you accrued as you leveled. You can adjust those values, but not the base scores that your character initially rolled. Everyone gets 8 assignable points, and twice you get an across the board increase to all Ability Scores. Anyone should be able to sort themselves out with that much adjustment available.
    edited June 2013
    alaric63 wrote: »
    You will be able to reassign the additional Ability Score points you accrued as you leveled. You can adjust those values, but not the base scores that your character initially rolled. Everyone gets 8 assignable points, and twice you get an across the board increase to all Ability Scores. Anyone should be able to sort themselves out with that much adjustment available.

If by 'sort yourself out' you mean make sure your character isn't hopelessly disadvantaged, then yes you can do this with the normal respec. However, right now for Clerics, STR is much superior to WIS and anyone who listened to CRYPTIC WHO STATED WISDOM IS A PRIMARY STAT and went at character creation 18+2 WIS 13 STR rather than 16 WIS 16+2 STR is at a noticeable disadvantage. I have two clerics at 60 and the difference is considerable.

Given that the primary stat as stated by Cryptic is a trap for both Clerics and Rogues then it would make sense to allow us to alter these choices especially as this is 'beta' and we don't get a wipe ;)
  • vhladervhlader Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    ambisinisterr - I have to agree that I'd understand the statement (by a developer not a community mod) if we were giving better information BEFORE starting the game. I understand this is your opinion but when you speak people do listen as though it is coming from a developer.

Right now, the information we have for attributes is vague for character creation. It seems as though Cry wanted the look n feel (at character creation) to be more toward the PnP game, however, when you enter the game world you see the attributes differently.

Here is the information we have a character creation and what it actually does in game for the Cleric. I know the Attributes affect different things per class, but I had to choose my Class before getting to the Attribute information at creation creation.

Attribute
    Character Creation
    In Game

Strength

Constitution
    Maximum Hit Points

Dexterity

Intelligence
    Recharge Speed Increase

Wisdom

Charisma
    Recharge Speed Increase, Action Point Gain, Companion Stat Bonus, Combat Advantage Damage

The only attribute information at character creation that is even remotely close is the Constitution description. Now if I could see the in game information while at character creation (and attribute stat rolls), I'd understand not have any ability to reroll these. Also understand that there is an income option if a Zen item is created that would allow an attribute reroll. This applies for a Race change as well, look how long it took other MMO's to do create it, and all of them charge extra for it!

I'd personally keep your opinion out of the Community Developer account and create an account just for chatting with us. I only say this because it seems as though you are stating this from the Developers. Now this is my opinion; not an attack against you or Cry/PW.

Excellent post and I agree completely.

1. The information for ability scores at character creation is insufficient. Players shouldn't have to make a dummy character to inspect what ability scores actually influence in the game, and then make their real character after (especially since it's not clear that ability scores do different things for different classes). All of the information should be available during character creation (meaning, more detailed and accurate tooltips are required). For players who are unsatisfied with their choice, there should be a zen store item that enables ability scores to be rerolled and class ability score bonuses to be re-allocated.

2. Moderators should refrain from posting opinions or theories involving game features/development (especially controversial opinions that are probably disliked by most customers) under their official account. It's informative and useful for developers to talk about their opinions and design philosophies, but counter-productive (and potentially misrepresentative) for forum moderators to do so, unless the moderator has additional influence/authority within the actual company and/or is relaying official information that they have received.
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jetah wrote: »

Attribute
    Character Creation
    In Game

Strength

Constitution
    Maximum Hit Points

Dexterity

Intelligence
    Recharge Speed Increase

Wisdom

Charisma

exactly my point, we basically get dictionary descriptions @char creation and they expect us to get the optimum stats that we want for our character? really?

+1 for this

also please support my include stat reroll thread (link in my sig). It's already in its 13th page and are also full of ability reset supporters (actually only a couple or three naysayers) :D
  • kevlintallfellowkevlintallfellow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree that the mouseover tooltips during character creation should have the exact same information that the in-game tooltips have. Having said that...

I still say it looks like the people complaining about starting stats are the "munchkins" that tried to min-max at creation and *chose* to treat their secondary stats as "dump stats". Then, when they get in-game, they complain that their "dump stats" are too low and their "munchkin" stat is too high?

And after all that, when given the option to re-distribute the points they got leveling up, they put those points in the secondary stats instead of flat-out maxing the primary stat... just so they can now complain about having *balanced* stats, which is what they should have rolled in the first place?

Really, guys?

I think this is more of a perception issue than an actual game issue.
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ^

you said it yourself, the char creation ability definitions are vague and more like dictionary descriptions rather than actual bonuses. Under such circumstances, no one can make informed decisions about what their abilities should be. It's more like the game is trying to mislead people into going to a single ability build/choosing abilities that are inferior to another when it comes to a specific build that they're trying to focus on.

Again, yes all primary/secondary stats are useful, but that does not mean you wont choose one over the other especially if you are going after a specific build/role (a choice that you can still do at lvl 60 when you've already read guides or measured what you want to be- but you still cannot really optimize when you have already screwed up your ability rolls from the start). Here is where the issue of misleading descriptions of the abilities during char creations comes in, plus obviously the lack of perfect guides at the earliest days of the game when people were still experimenting.

Your third paragraph is not even an issue bec you can reset that even with the current state of our respec option. Some might argue that it's just 2 or 3 points that have gone onto diff abilities instead of the one you want, but that 2/3% recov/ap gain/crit chance that have been lost will drag you down, and the bonuses from those points that went lost won't ever make up for it.

really, kelvin?

i think this is more of a perception issue for you when it's obviously an actual game issue.

*mumumumumunchkin"
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Some people act against their own interest.

I think it's a valid request considering the crummy job Cryptic has done so far on the game, the flat out wrong descriptions apparently are something "we have to live with" huh? Sounds like fun <rolleyes>.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hkfrenchtoasthkfrenchtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Please, I am sure it's not that hard for Cryptic to allow reroll

/signed +1!
This discussion has been closed.