test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF and TR clarification help please

ranethaesirranethaesir Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Ok so Ive been having a extremely lengthy discussion with a friend on this subject. According to my friend a Great Weapon Fighter is primarily control, and a secondary dps. Where as a Rogue is strictly dps. His reasoning is damage comes from dex not strength.

My thoughts on this are; a Great Weapon Fighter is primarily dps, but since he has a high hp total he can also be a tank. and a rogue is a dps/control hybrid. To me damage comes from strength.

Can we get some help on this one? How bout some one from Perfect World to help clarify. Id also like the thoughts of the community.
Post edited by ranethaesir on

Comments

• Options
    kumaburukumaburu Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In this game in particular your friend is correct. In games in general you would be correct. The Great Weapons Fighter is designed to be, basically, the Add Tank, keeping all of the assorted little nasties from swarming your Wizard and Cleric while the Rogue and Tank tag-team the Main Boss.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kumaburu wrote: »

Your not allowed to voice your opinion. We cannot sway the decision of others. Simply take in their feedback.
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    In this game in particular your friend is correct. In games in general you would be correct. The Great Weapons Fighter is designed to be, basically, the Add Tank, keeping all of the assorted little nasties from swarming your Wizard and Cleric while the Rogue and Tank tag-team the Main Boss.

I get the add tank part. Keep the focus on GWF to keep it off the wizard and cleric. But I still dont see how that backs him up. If anything it seems to back my opinion up due to my stance that a GWF is a dps/tank. His opinion is GWF= Melee wizard. While to me control=stuns/prones/etc.

(not swaying Kumaburu, just clarifying)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Your not allowed to voice your opinion. We cannot sway the decision of others. Simply take in their feedback.
    I had to clearify my position you messed it up
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »

One point for the Bear
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The way neverwinter currently works is that all classes have damage, control, and utility skills.
    So technically all classes can dabble in the other roles....but some better than others.
    Regardless, classes are still considered to be certain roles.
    I.E: TRs can CC through smokebomb but they're still considered a pure DPS class (striker).

Basically GWF is officially considered a mushroom.
    They're suppose to be DPS/offtank but in practice even though they have the HP, they can't really tank since they can't aggro well & they tend to do inferior DPS compared to rogues.
    So that makes them....off DPS/nothing.

Hilariously, CWs/DCs are the offtanks of Neverwinter. (Their AoE tends to do enough to draw mobs to them more effectively than a GWF can.)
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    Hahaha lol.

The way neverwinter works is that all classes have damage, control, and utility skills.
    So technically all classes can dabble in the other roles....but some better than others.
    TRs can CC through smokebomb but they're considered a DPS class (striker).

Basically GWF is officially considered a mushroom.
    They're suppose to be DPS/offtank but in practice even though they have the HP, they can't really tank since they can't aggro well & they tend to do inferior DPS compared to rogues.

Both GF & GWF are getting threat buffs in the balance patch if I remember correctly

2 Points Bear 0 for the Nor
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Both GF & GWF are getting threat buffs in the balance patch if I remember correctly

2 Points Bear 0 for the Nor

NO POINT FOR YOU! If anything thats a non-point because his said that gwf is SUPPOSED to be what I say it is, but failed to be that. So no the score is 1-0 you
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I get the add tank part. Keep the focus on GWF to keep it off the wizard and cleric. But I still dont see how that backs him up. If anything it seems to back my opinion up due to my stance that a GWF is a dps/tank. His opinion is GWF= Melee wizard. While to me control=stuns/prones/etc.

(not swaying Kumaburu, just clarifying)

No your mudding the water GWF is a control through the off tanking.... and the all the lay flats it can do but my point is that GWF is a control by "Controlling the adds" not because it has as much CC as a CW "even though it has the second most CC in the game"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No your mudding the water GWF is a control through the off tanking.... and the all the lay flats it can do but my point is that GWF is a control by "Controlling the adds" not because it has as much CC as a CW "even though it has the second most CC in the game"

Dude its you bringing the mud. You have even said directly that GWF= melee Control Wizard. Your not clarifying, your swaying. Be sporty and agree that neither of us shall post anything other than vote scores.
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As far as I can remember it's only the GF who will be receiving the 35% Threat Generation buff. GWF will be getting a lot of cooldown reductions in many skills though. After the patch, the GWF will most probably be a very viable source of DPS for dungeons, most specially if they spec for power/crit + recovery. But I can never really say for sure as I've never played a GWF before. I'm a humble player of a TR on the Mindflayer server.

I do have a GWF guildie, however, and he most usually excels in keeping adds in control and defeating them in the process alongside our Wizard guildies. GWF's deal a good amount of AoE melee damage, albeit it being a small but decent-sized cone range. TR's on the one hand excel in single target DPS, and they are able to deal tremendous and consistent amounts of burst damage against bosses. GWF's are mainly the DPS that is able to take blows, but most of their damage contributions come from beating adds. TR's on the one hand contribute damage to killing bosses.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Dude its you bringing the mud. You have even said directly that GWF= melee Control Wizard. Your not clarifying, your swaying. Be sporty and agree that neither of us shall post anything other than vote scores.

GWF has the second largest skill set of control effects in the game
    GWF can off tank "when threat is fixed"
    so yeah GWF is like a melee CW with a GF twist
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    As far as I can remember it's only the GF who will be receiving the 35% Threat Generation buff. GWF will be getting a lot of cooldown reductions in many skills though. After the patch, the GWF will most probably be a very viable source of DPS for dungeons, most specially if they spec for power/crit + recovery. But I can never really say for sure as I've never played a GWF before. I'm a humble player of a TR on the Mindflayer server.

I do have a GWF guildie, however, and he most usually excels in keeping adds in control and defeating them in the process alongside our Wizard guildies. GWF's deal a good amount of AoE melee damage, albeit it being a small but decent-sized cone range. TR's on the one hand excel in single target DPS, and they are able to deal tremendous and consistent amounts of burst damage against bosses. GWF's are mainly the DPS that is able to take blows, but most of their damage contributions come from beating adds. TR's on the one hand contribute damage to killing bosses.

I guess GWF really won't need the threat buff with the dps gain it will be getting and the fact that clerics threat is being corrected
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The idea, as nearly as I can tell, is that the GWF would "control" the Adds by keeping their attention away from the Cleric and Wizard, who would actually do most of the killing of the Mobs and healing of the Team. Hence the term "Control" rather than "DPS".

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited June 2013
    GWF is a beefy dps aka bruiser, Rogue is a high single target dps, CW (was) a high single target+aoe+ control class (being highly nerfed on the 20th, did a 60 CW can agree with nerfs) Cleric is a control + support class/ GF is a fail tank (bad aggro abilities not actually tanky, and cant function as a main dps role)

The main reason though GWF fail (since they were originally designed for adds) is the fact adds are stronger then the boss in most dungeons...play any T2 dungeon and watch how fast you die with 4-5+ (usually 10+) adds get on you compared to if youre tanking the boss...its silly...Id rather the GF tank the adds and the GWF tank the boss (if he had any aggro abilities in his kit)
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    My thoughts on this are; a Great Weapon Fighter is primarily dps, but since he has a high hp total he can also be a tank. and a rogue is a dps/control hybrid. To me damage comes from strength.

this is what make Neverwinter a bit "weird". notice that all class have their Damage Bonus percentage from their Primary Ability Score like Fighter from Strength, Wizard from Intelligence, and Cleric from Wisdom ... yet ... Rogue from Strength? why not Dexterity? come on, this is Trickster Rogue not Brawny Rogue
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I'm gonna be a bit lazy and just steal another person's answer:
    vold316 wrote: »
    This game is based on d&d 4e, according to that, there are 4 roles:

Defender : Defenders focus on blocking attacking enemies and focusing their attacks on themselves. Defender classes are typically focused on melee combat, however some classes such as Swordmages also have ranged combat capabilities. (wikipedia)

Leader: Leaders are focused on buffing and healing allies. Some Leader classes and builds are focused towards either melee or ranged combat, however the role as a whole is not. (wikipedia)

Striker: Strikers are focused on mobility, dealing heavy damage to single targets and avoiding attacks. Some Striker classes and builds are focused towards either melee or ranged combat, however the role as a whole is not. (wikipedia)

Controller: Controllers focus on affecting multiple targets at once, either damaging or debuffing them, or altering the battlefield's terrain. Some classes, such as Wizards and Invokers, are focused towards ranged combat, while Druids can specialize in ranged or melee combat. (wikipedia)

You can see the modified roles of each NW class in their wiki (curse):

CW - Controller
    GF - Defender
    GWF - Secondary Striker & Secondary Defender
    DC - Leader & Secondary Controller
    TR - Striker

So you should expect something like that about the classes.

Holy Trinity... Meh. It has certanly worked for many MMORPGs, but this system isn't far from it, and innovation is good in most of the cases, so evolve.

The thing is that they have to balance the game, so that the classes can play their role properly.

The GWF is a Striker with a splash of Defender mixed in. Slightly heavier in armor, lots of damage but it's mainly damage to groups.

After the changes to aggro the argument of being a "controller" will probably diminish greatly as currently the only reason GWF's don't draw much aggro is due to the heal threat which is being adjusted when the current Preview goes Live.

They are intended to be Bruisers (DPS Tank) whether you feel it fails at the role or not. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm gonna be a bit lazy and just steal another person's answer:

The GWF is a Striker with a splash of Defender mixed in. Slightly heavier in armor, lots of damage but it's mainly damage to groups.

After the changes to aggro the argument of being a "controller" will probably diminish greatly as currently the only reason GWF's don't draw much aggro is due to the heal threat which is being adjusted when the current Preview goes Live.

They are intended to be Bruisers (DPS Tank) whether you feel it fails at the role or not. :)

I wouldnt exactly say it fails at that role. But it took til I was lvl 48 to really feel like it. Really the problem I have with their dps ability is the seemingly low damage. Thats a big flipping sword Im swinging. It would seem like I should be doing High damage in a wide melee range arc, yet the speed of my attacks should be a little on the slow side.

An example of this would be: one attack from me deals 500 damage(just throwing numbers out there). One attack from a rogue deals 275 damage. But by the time I hit my target for a second time for another 500 damage, the rogue should have hit for its 3rd or 4th time. so by the end of my 2 hit combo for 1000 dmg, the rouge will have hit 4 times for 1100 damage.
  • Options
    agbadehanagbadehan Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    GWF is not supposed to do as much damage as TR. If you think they should do similar damage then you need to re-evaluate your perception of what a GWF is and what a GWF does. TR is meant to have the highest single target damage in this game, nothing else really compares. GWF damage is working as intended. The only thing wrong with GWF besides broken feats, which every class has to suffer through, is the fact that dungeons were poorly designed making GWF essentially unneeded in 60 PvE.
  • Options
    xenobiasxenobias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is one thing I have seen GWFs absolutely excel at.

Semi-AFK PVP.

Semi because they do need to move a little or they get kicked.

I have not played a GWF yet and at this time I am not inclined to do so. That may change as time progresses.

Out of the 3 classes I have played, CW, TR, Cleric. The Tr is the most fun for me, especially for PVE due to his speed and damage output. I PVP for diamonds mostly. CW is the second. Cleric is meh-I'm at lvl 22 and may stop leveling her all together.

The update patch may change my favorite class, but until then TR is tops for me.

GF is my next choice to try but I really want an elven ranger!