test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to enhance your experience with Neverwinter.

cwair01cwair01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 76
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've been collecting and experimenting a little with this game since the days of beta and now i'd like to share my finds with the community, i hope you will find them as useful as i do. Please keep in mind this thread is a work in progress!

I'm aware some of this things has been mentioned in earlier threads but i'm just collecting them all in one thread to make them easier to find.

Section (1); Console / Game Tweaks

First off, have you ever been annoying how close or too far your camera is?
There's a way you can set this to your preference, follow methods;

[Method - A]: Set it directly in your gamefolder;
Usually this path but it depends how you setup your computer/install
C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en_2002\Neverwinter\Live\localdata
Now locate the file called "gameprefs.pref" and open with notepad or program of choice

Now find the line called "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DefaultFov xx" and set the xx's to your choice.
[Method - B]: Execute it directly in the game by using the following command in your console;

"/gfxsetdefaultfov" with a value of 1-100
Fov50
kAw1h.jpg
Fov90
NX1zg.jpg

Do you want to see your fps or ping counter?
Simply enter "/showfps 1" to turn it on and "/showfps 0" to turn it off.
You can also see your ping by following command; "/netgraph 1" or "/netgraph 0" for off.

Would you like to reduce patching?
Here's how but it comes at a little cost, in your launcher there's an option called "disable on-demand patching" disabling this may make your game download a few more GB / MB but you wont have to worry about patching into dungeons anymore and it will reduce your loading times.

General tips
1. Tip: create a bind like,

/bind "Numpad4" "gotocharacterselect"

Now pressing numeric pad 4 and waiting 15s will bring you directly to the Character Selection screen instead of logging you out fully.

2. Clerics use Divinity, a sort of super Tab-slot, a LOT. I find it helpful to rebind this from the Tab key to a spare mouse button under Options->General->Keybinds->Special Power->Special Keys->Mouse Button 4.

3. You can mail anything mail-able between alts by Composing mail to "@handle" where handle is your account username (not email address).

4. You can send AD (and Zen) between characters by using the Zen-AD exchange, the 3rd icon at the top of your screen.

5. You can buy teleport scrolls and ID scrolls from 4th icon at the top of your screen.

6. You can access the AH (and mail) by clicking through the third icon from the right at the top of the screen.

7. The online Gateway at http://gateway.playneverwinter.com has a far easier to use and correctly functioning AH search engine than the AH in-game. You can even buy through it, though it does not update your total available AD currency correctly.

8. Gear score is affected by your Health Points, this includes Feats and Ability Scores that increase your HP.

9. You can change zone instances in three ways: one is by pressing M and using your map at the bottom, second is by clicking the blue/gray stone at top right of your minimap, third is by "Moving to Instance" of another player (*).

10. If you complete all the quests in the game, or to be more specific, the final instance boss in the final sub-zone in the final questing zone in the game (Whispering Caverns/Underdark), you get an occasionally useful invisibility cloak that lets you often pass by mobs in dungeons without being seen.

I have lots of others, but these are probably my top ten general tips.

(*) You may need to use this surprisingly often. For example, when dungeon queuing system does not seem to port you to the dungeon, changing instances lets you "Return to Instance". Another one is that sometimes NPCs in a zone disappear, e.g. in Rothe Valley's very first quest NPC. Changing instance you should find the NPC.

Thanks to fondlez for these tips!
I'm always friendly and will be happy any of your inquires via pm!
However i'm not a part of PWE and can't handle any questions regarding your personal details or account.
Please respect the forum ToS and keep a nice manner towards your fellow adventurers!

| Half Elf - Cleric | Good reading for Clerics |
Post edited by cwair01 on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Section (2); Performance / Video Tweaks
    Have you experienced that weird stutter and dramatic fps loss when in a dungeon?
    Here's how you solve it, go to your video settings and find the option named;

"Max physics debris object" - Now lower this dramatically to either off or experiment with lower values.
    (This seem's to be having to do with some of the coding in the game i guess).

This should make it stop
    Do you suffer from low frames per second?

If you have not already tried then find the option in you video settings tab called;

"Shadows" - Set this to low or off, this might seem weird at first but will boost your fps by 10-30 frames depending on your computer.

Defragmenting your game files
    Defragmentation of the game itself, decreases the overall loading times by around 20%. (on very old PC without an actual ssd). Cryptic games tend to get fragmented really badly, really quick. This is tested and approved. I'd recommend game booster 3 and upwards for it (betas).

Link to softwares can be found here; http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

Thanks to embracemysword for the tip.
    You should also keep in mind to never defragment a SSD, thanks to the posters who mention this!
    However i'm not a part of PWE and can't handle any questions regarding your personal details or account.
    Please respect the forum ToS and keep a nice manner towards your fellow adventurers!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Section (3); Make your everyday tasks easier / Binds
    Have you been wondering how to bind?
    Well here's how you do it;

Starting off with the simple "/bind (insertkey) :command:" type of lines there's a numerous of usefull things you can do here.

If you want to bind something to zone, for example a guild recruiting message it would be easy as typing; /bind Numkey1 z "Our guild is casual, we like pie" where the commands for part / say and zone would be "p / s / z"

You can go very advanced on bindings, here's a link on where to read more on it
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/GuideGDN_Keybinds

STO has the same engine as Neverwinter so i'm sure 90% of what you find there should work here as well.

Class specific binds;
    Cleric
    Here are some i use personally that i find use full in pvp and pve;

/bind Numpad7 p "[Astral Shield]: Has been dispelled / expired
    /bind Numpad8 p "[Warning]: >> I'm silenced! <<
    /bind Numpad4 /Team_leave
    /bind Numpad5 /Team_DeclineInvite

More classes to be added since i don't play any other (yet).

You can also load and save bind from files in your folder; see http://sto.gamepedia.com/GuideGDN_Keybinds#Bind_File for more information

I'm tired now and will continue on this thread later, please put some constructive feedback or add your own tips and tricks

• Options
    brutikusivbrutikusiv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Persuade the CEO of PW to add 10mil zen to your account for free ?!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    A defragmentation of the game itself, decreases the overall loading times by around 20%. (on very old PC without an actual ssd). Cryptic games tend to get fragmented really badly, really quick. This is tested and aprooved. I'd recommend game booster 3 and upwards for it (betas).

Peace.

Thanks for sharing
    brutikusiv wrote: »
    Persuade the CEO of PW to add 10mil zen to your account for free ?!

We all just wish don't we ^^

• Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After years of FO3 and FNV, you would think I'd go hunting for a preferences file :)

Nice tips, hope you get some props for it... a little cred hopefully. It seems a few don't respect unless you got Guardian or Hero of Neverwinter.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    odinspathodinspath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    [Method - A]: Set it directly in your gamefolder;
    Usually this path but it depends how you setup your computer/install
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en_2002\Neverwinter\Live \localdata
    Now locate the file called "gameprefs.pref" and open with notepad or program of choice

Now find the line called "PrefEntry GfxSettings.DefaultFov xx" and set the xx's to your choice.

My path (I installed from the NeverWinter launcher);

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Playtest\Localdata\Gameprefs.Pref

I hope this helps

Very nice cwair01 ,thanks for the info I vote sticky :D
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    A defragmentation of the game itself, decreases the overall loading times by around 20%. (on very old PC without an actual ssd). Cryptic games tend to get fragmented really badly, really quick. This is tested and aprooved. I'd recommend game booster 3 and upwards for it (betas).

It's worth adding to this solid suggestion that you shouldn't defragment an SSD, just in case the implication above wasn't clear enough. If your OS supports TRIM, it will do some housekeeping behind your back.. If it doesn't, the manufacturer will usually supply a utility that you can run to achieve similar things.

(I play Neverwinter from a rather nice Samsung SSD, hanging off a dedicated PCI-express controller, and it certainly keeps things snappy)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    odinspath wrote: »
    My path (I installed from the NeverWinter launcher);

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Playtest\Localdata\Gameprefs.Pref

I hope this helps

Very nice cwair01 ,thanks for the info I vote sticky :D

Thank you very much i will try to add more as i find
    It's worth adding to this solid suggestion that you shouldn't defragment an SSD, just in case the implication above wasn't clear enough. If your OS supports TRIM, it will do some housekeeping behind your back.. If it doesn't, the manufacturer will usually supply a utility that you can run to achieve similar things.

(I play Neverwinter from a rather nice Samsung SSD, hanging off a dedicated PCI-express controller, and it certainly keeps things snappy)

I will try to add this on a side note

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nice thanks!
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. Tip: create a bind like,

/bind "Numpad4" "gotocharacterselect"

Now pressing numeric pad 4 and waiting 15s will bring you directly to the Character Selection screen instead of logging you out fully.

2. Clerics use Divinity, a sort of super Tab-slot, a LOT. I find it helpful to rebind this from the Tab key to a spare mouse button under Options->General->Keybinds->Special Power->Special Keys->Mouse Button 4.

3. You can mail anything mail-able between alts by Composing mail to "@handle&quot; where handle is your account username (not email address).

4. You can send AD (and Zen) between characters by using the Zen-AD exchange, the 3rd icon at the top of your screen.

5. You can buy teleport scrolls and ID scrolls from 4th icon at the top of your screen.

6. You can access the AH (and mail) by clicking through the third icon from the right at the top of the screen.

7. The online Gateway at http://gateway.playneverwinter.com has a far easier to use and correctly functioning AH search engine than the AH in-game. You can even buy through it, though it does not update your total available AD currency correctly.

8. Gear score is affected by your Health Points, this includes Feats and Ability Scores that increase your HP.

9. You can change zone instances in three ways: one is by pressing M and using your map at the bottom, second is by clicking the blue/gray stone at top right of your minimap, third is by "Moving to Instance" of another player (*).

10. If you complete all the quests in the game, or to be more specific, the final instance boss in the final sub-zone in the final questing zone in the game (Whispering Caverns/Underdark), you get an occasionally useful invisibility cloak that lets you often pass by mobs in dungeons without being seen.

I have lots of others, but these are probably my top ten general tips.

(*) You may need to use this surprisingly often. For example, when dungeon queuing system does not seem to port you to the dungeon, changing instances lets you "Return to Instance". Another one is that sometimes NPCs in a zone disappear, e.g. in Rothe Valley's very first quest NPC. Changing instance you should find the NPC.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you fondlez this are very good tips

• Options
    johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thanks man :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    johnygwapo wrote: »
    thanks man :)

Don't thank me thank the community ^^, i hope more people can contribute to this thread so it will help out everyone instead of seeing people doing topics asking for these kind of answers

• Options
    crashtestbongcrashtestbong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow this is quite helpful, thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here's some I use:

/bind numpad4 "startchatwith /party "
    /bind numpad6 "startchatwith /local "

This allows me to easily press 4 on the numpad, then start typing, to speak in the team channel, or press 6 on the numpad, then start typing, to type something in /say or /local chat. I also use it for some custom channels, too.

For instance, you might use:
    /bind numpad2 "startchatwith /c trade " to start typing into the trade channel with just 1 keypress...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    yramragyramrag Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello friends,

Reported. And mod, please ban this guy .. he is spamming this in every (EVERY) other thread.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think I'll be using returningfjacks email for signing up to spam adverts now.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    yramragyramrag Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That Char 10 is always up to no good, I'd report him too.

Oh you responded? I thought you are some kind of bot. In which case, please have some decency and not spam the forum.