test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is my gear score dropping...

diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
...when I equip upgrades? I finally was able to afford my t2 boots and bracers and when i put them on for the 4 set bonus, my GS dropped 200 points. then when I equipped a T2 ring (replacing a T1 ring), I lost 50 more points.

What gives? nothing else has changed. i'm not grouped, just standing in PE, my companion has nothing new, i have no pots or buffs running. Why in the world would equipping legit upgrades lower my gear score so much?
Leader of Conviction: find me in game if you're looking for a friendly guild!

Looking for reviews (will trade)!
Arachnophobia
Code: NW-DMRQYIZQT
For all the spider-haters out there :p
Post edited by dioriel on

Comments

• Options
    vuelheringvuelhering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The *Recommended flag means nothing. Gearscore appears to at least give a reasonable guess at how it improves your equipment.
    Knights who say Ni!
    Foundry name: Vuelherring (with an extra 'R', matey)

"Bring out yer Dead" NW-DAI945C2G #humor #story #solo
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    well, the pieces i equipped improved every single stat, and i even used the exact same enchants. I'm not even talking about the "recommended" stuff. I'm saying, why is my swashbuckling captain's set, which has almost 20 more of the main stats, giving me a lower GS than my 2 pieces of elusive agents armor, my unicorn seal hat, and my drake seal chest? It makes zero sense, and it's really frustrating because now instead of being 10.5k when lfg, i'm 10.2k, and yes it makes a difference. Even though I have better gear.

Arachnophobia
  • Options
    gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vuelhering does not know exactly what he said/ was talking about, put back your gear you had before you equipped the new armor. and see what you had before, from there check carefully.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    Gearscore is really a joke. Different stats are "weighted" differently. Since you are gaining in some stat while losing some in others then your gear score is affected.
  • Options
    cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Things like maximum health points is weighted a lot. I took 1 point out of increased health pool in my TR spec and lost 500 gear score.... So if your old rings had maximum hit points on them or your neck... you will lose A lot of gear score. I have a blue bet that is awesome 133 power 133 cit 100+ recovery i have an epic belt with 500 max hp 125 crit and 125 life steal and i gain 800 GS by putting the Hp belt on
  • Options
    xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    if you have problems getting in pugs - just write that you have 11 or 12k gearscore... its not like anybody except you could see it lol
    if they inspect you then and see that you're running full T2 then they will believe you at some point that you have 'named' gs.
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Gear score isn't a perfect measurement.

For example, I was grouped with a rogue earlier who probably had an awesome gear score. Unfortunately his jewelry and belt were all lifesteal/defense/deflect items.

For your particular case, set bonus that don't give raw stats (i.e. +400 crit rating) do not add to gear score even though many of the set bonuses are quite powerful and arguably better than +400/450 stat especially if you are above the soft cap in that stat.
  • Options
    cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    Gear score isn't a perfect measurement.

For example, I was grouped with a rogue earlier who probably had an awesome gear score. Unfortunately his jewelry and belt were all lifesteal/defense/deflect items.

For your particular case, set bonus that don't give raw stats (i.e. +400 crit rating) do not add to gear score even though many of the set bonuses are quite powerful and arguably better than +400/450 stat especially if you are above the soft cap in that stat.
    right so if you had 2 piece your t1 set and 2 piece your t2 set you will lose GS because you lose the 400 crit/power from the t1 set
  • Options
    silence1k1llsilence1k1ll Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    dioriel wrote: »
    ...when I equip upgrades? I finally was able to afford my t2 boots and bracers and when i put them on for the 4 set bonus, my GS dropped 200 points. then when I equipped a T2 ring (replacing a T1 ring), I lost 50 more points.

What gives? nothing else has changed. i'm not grouped, just standing in PE, my companion has nothing new, i have no pots or buffs running. Why in the world would equipping legit upgrades lower my gear score so much?

As a Rogue, I've found that my PvP set is better, thus creating a better gear score than a combination of t1/t2 gear. When you look at found items, ignore the "recommended" text... it means little to nothing at the moment as if you have a great item that is blue, and a useless item that is purple, the engine assumes the purple is better regardless of how worthless the item is to you.
    I ENJOY PLAYING NWO
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the insight, folks. Either way, I know i'm doing more DPS than before.

Arachnophobia
  • Options
    banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    THAT was duly noted during the leveling time... pick up higher level greenie, look at it compare, your low level has MUHCO better stats and yet the higher piece gets reconmended to use, I sold all mine and wore low level stuff till I found what actually improved my stats. It's a wierd system for sure, but not uncommon in MMOs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
  • Options
    danxbxdanxbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I feel GS is broken.

When I respected, it reset my stats, powers and feats and my GS went up. As I reallocated my stats and feats, my GS dropped. No changes in the gear.
  • Options
    jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2013
    Happened to me too when I upgraded my epic ring with drake ring, same attributes but a slightly better stats, gear score dropped 50... what?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jipatsu wrote: »
    Happened to me too when I upgraded my epic ring with drake ring, same attributes but a slightly better stats, gear score dropped 50... what?

same enchant?
  • Options
    lednaillednail Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2013
    you're getting worse at the game... its reflective of how you play ;)
  • Options
    bellringer01bellringer01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Enchants also add to gearscore. If you swap an item with an enchant for another with no enchant your GS will most likely drop... unless the new item was much better than the old.

Cheers
  • Options
    zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Gear score is calculated by adding your "Attack/Healing" stat to your "Protection" stat.. So while you are actually improving your gear for w/e your build is, it may not improve your GS if it doesn't raise those specific numbers.

GS is meaningless beyond having the required amount to enter a dungeon.
  • Options
    danxbxdanxbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes. Nothing changed in my gear. Reset my stats and it went to 8800 and started redoing my stats and feats and it dropped to 8600.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    I noticed that stats like armor penetration isn't adding to gear score.
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Enchants affect GS, So if you took off a piece that was enchanted and replaced it with one that wasn't that's they your GS dipped.

Enchant your new piece and your Gs will be higher than it was. with your last enchanted piece.
  • Options
    fenicusfenicus Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    My recent gear upgrades took my gear score from 10.5 up to...9.8 lol...just have a good laugh at it all and keep on going.
  • Options
    advocadvoc Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only thing I've noticed with the Recommended tag, is it's always gone to the item that is able to be sold to the vendor for more coin. Even worse stats of the same type get recommended, just as long as it is worth 1 copper more. Haven't noticed anything else that would push it one way or another yet.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    danxbx wrote: »
    Yes. Nothing changed in my gear. Reset my stats and it went to 8800 and started redoing my stats and feats and it dropped to 8600.

if you lose an max Health point feat you will drop in gear score or like one that adds power based on how much guard you have left things that give raw stats and not procs will add to GS