test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Invoking! Is this correct?

2»

Comments

• stubbedtoesstubbedtoes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    In the land of Faerun, he'd be a Faithless... and his soul is doomed to be stuck into a wall and dissolved into nothingness after his demise...

Which leads me to wonder what happens to those denizens of Faerun who worshiped a god that was killed without their knowledge. Say they were a worshiper of Helm, who was killed. Does Ao recognize them as having been respectful to the gods or are they damned to Baator, or the walls of the eternal city?

On topic, I noticed after my first few invocations of the day I would only receive a buff and a little experience. I suppose a cap had to be placed on AD gain through invocation or some people would use scripts to keep their characters logged in to invoke each hour on cooldown.

Edit: Um, this forum does not like special characters, tried to use the "u" in Faerun and it cut off the rest of my post.
  • phoenixsolacephoenixsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In the land of Faerun, he'd be a Faithless... and his soul is doomed to be stuck into a wall and dissolved into nothingness after his demise...

AKA haha no rez for you!

and that just gave me a great idea!

Hardcore mode for some You choose no deity and therefore when your character dies he is gone forever!

Make an interesting variant to the game
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xratas wrote: »
    My character is an atheist and refuses to ask money from gods...

"Hi. I'm Kelemvor. I've got this big Wall that goes around my city that could use another brick. Your soul looks like it'll do just fine."
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Just looked up Faithless on the Forgotten Realms wiki. That's messed up.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • blomstenblomsten Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Back a week or two ago, I kept records of the invokes on my six characters, for three days. While there was a little bit of wiggle in the XP given, the diamonds seemed to be a straight number based on level. And the AD reward from the three invokes decreased consistantly - the second invoke was 2/3 of the first, and the 3rd was 1/3 of the first. Two characters in their 30's, got 500/335/165 diamonds. Two characters in their 20's got 375/250/125.

I haven't bothered keeping records since, but I Invoke consistantly on all my characters. First invoke of the day gives coins, AD, XP, and a buff. 2nd and 3rd invokes (1 hour later for each) give AD, XP, and buff. Every invoke after that gives a buff and sometimes a potion. Every day, on all six characters. It's really not all that random.

This fits my own observations perfectly. Thanks for the write-up, makes it easier/faster to explain to friends :)
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Which leads me to wonder what happens to those denizens of Faerun who worshiped a god that was killed without their knowledge. Say they were a worshiper of Helm, who was killed. Does Ao recognize them as having been respectful to the gods or are they damned to Baator, or the walls of the eternal city?

They're all Faithless, even if their patron diety has died and they didn't know about it, or if they never knew that they had to worship the Gods their entire lives. It's pretty messed up. And here's the kicker.... AO's worshippers (called Ministers instead of Clerics) are also judged as Faithless. Yep... huge unforgiving afterlife penalty for worshipping a dead diety, an overdiety, or just not worshipping any currently living dieties in the Pantheon in general.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • teykosteykos Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2013
    They're all Faithless, even if their patron diety has died and they didn't know about it, or if they never knew that they had to worship the Gods their entire lives. It's pretty messed up. And here's the kicker.... AO's worshippers (called Ministers instead of Clerics) are also judged as Faithless. Yep... huge unforgiving afterlife penalty for worshipping a dead diety, an overdiety, or just not worshipping any currently living dieties in the Pantheon in general.

Hmmm, could have sworn that if someone else picked up the deity's portfolio(s) though, they could pick up those faithful too?
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    teykos wrote: »
    Hmmm, could have sworn that if someone else picked up the deity's portfolio(s) though, they could pick up those faithful too?

As far as I know, if a person's patron diety has died, that person must switch to the new patron diety... something that just doesn't happen automatically (just in case the diety that now has that portfolio has an alignment that's too different from the worshipper). It's pretty bad for the worshipper if he/she isn't aware that their deity has passed on...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As far as I know, if a person's patron diety has died, that person must switch to the new patron diety... something that just doesn't happen automatically (just in case the diety that now has that portfolio has an alignment that's too different from the worshipper). It's pretty bad for the worshipper if he/she isn't aware that their deity has passed on...

Well...

In the Forgotten Realms, if you don't *know* that your patron deity has passed on, you might as well be Faithless anyway. The clergy of any given deity know, to the minute, when something awful has happened to their god. Their power no longer flows into them, their spells no longer work.

For you to not know your god had passed on, you would have had to have been almost completely ignoring him anyway. That's known as 'paying only lip service to the gods', which will also get you judged Faithless.

However, Kelemvor judges everyone on a case by case basis. If a truly Faithful person were to somehow perish, and he legitimately could not know that his patron deity had died (say, this person died a few minutes after their god did, for instance), he wouldn't be judged Faithless.

(Interesting footnote: There was a point in which Kelemvor was a slave to the letter of his own law, and this caused him to judge infants, children, and creatures who lived on other planes and couldn't have even *heard* of the gods as Faithless. He's much more reasonable in this time period.)