test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Reason People Skip Dungeon Content

jellichojellicho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Because it's unrewarding and uninteresting. Players feel like their time is being wasted so there is zero incentive to fight through the trash.

Yes, the biggest reason is to get the boss and chest loot in the fastest time possible, but that's the root of the problem.

The vast majority of the game is boring and unrewarding. If the only valuable portion of the dungeon is to get to the boss fight, then why force players to waste time doing things they don't want to do? I'm sure they will fix bugs and whatnot to make the dungeon time longer, but is that really helping things?

How about trash mobs drop more runes, enchantments, coins, things that people actually want. Then doing a full clear of a dungeon won't be such a waste of time and there will be less incentive to rush through it or bug their way past it.

Fixing the bugs only forces people to play boring content they don't want to play in the first place.
Post edited by jellicho on

Comments

• serpentttserpenttt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    I'm all for trash mobs dropping more gold and enchants. Oh, and blue crafting mats, green crafting mats in an epic dungeon? Weak.
  • yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Add rank 5 runes/enchants and triple the drop-rate and it may begin to be worth it to clear trash. Otherwise, nope.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    serpenttt wrote: »
    I'm all for trash mobs dropping more gold and enchants. Oh, and blue crafting mats, green crafting mats in an epic dungeon? Weak.

This.This and this.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • dizznutzzdizznutzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But, but...I love getting greens and buying scrolls with my AD! Only to turn around and sell for 5 silvers! So fun guys! Cmon get on the bandwagon!
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dungeon loot is worthless, especially outside of delves. At the very least dungeons nodes and trash should reward with much larger and higher level amounts of crafting loot, more gold and enough scrolls to identify all the junk without going to the AD vendor.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • jellichojellicho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    The devs are going to be working their hardest so people can't skip content, but that is a band-aid for the bigger problem:

95% of the content is boring.

Forcing players to grind trash mobs with little reward is a fast way for this game to die.
  • hammerhardwarehammerhardware Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    agreed i stopped running dungeons and playing cos its pointless , i pretty much just log on and do my praying and professions then log out :(
  • onehappygnadeonehappygnade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jellicho wrote: »
    The devs are going to be working their hardest so people can't skip content, but that is a band-aid for the bigger problem:

95% of the content is boring.

Forcing players to grind trash mobs with little reward is a fast way for this game to die.

Oh god that will just make the game into a grind fest.

All they have to do is raise the level queue for everything, and make Skirmishes a manual entrance as an option T.T
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Definately, on top of that I wish trash was more interesting, like give them more mechanics.

I want to see this be sorta like Burning Crusade heroics. It needs to be tough but interesting, even the trash, and make them rewarding.

ESPECIALLY let trash drop more vendor trash items, like blue vendor trash that sells for 2g and what not. It makes sense for trash to help fuel pots/kits expenses for boss fights.

Would be good if they put vendors in dungeons too, let's say you run out of gold and pots or something, go back and clear more trash lol.
  • forumname012forumname012 Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2013
    And some randomness. Mix things up!
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If you make it so that trash mobs drop valuable items, then what you start seeing is solo players (or smaller groups) farming everything BUT the boss.

Enter dungeon -> kill trash -> exit dungeon -> reset instance -> repeat

We've seen this happen in other games (In Vindictus, if you didn't kill the first boss, the instance would reset the moment you left. So, you could easily farm gold by entering a level, killing everything except the first boss, then leaving, and repeating that process as often as you like.)

You have to find a way to prevent players from farming the trash mobs, before you allow trash mobs to drop valuable end-game items.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Dungeons are fun to me.
    I love exploring every nook and cranny.
    It's just that some people enjoy whipping through dungeons as quickly as possible to beat the boss. And bypassing and exploiting provides a feeling of strategic satisfaction.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If foundry didn't exist this game would be a ghost city.
    But we need BOSSES on foundries and at least (AT LEAST) blue drops for daily eligible foundries. (+15 minutes). Otherwise those foundry quests will die as quickly as the main content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Bad Q/A testers + bad loot reward system + unrewarding, endless waves of annoying trash mobs + lazy devs that don't feel like fixing exploits when reported to them + company that don't consistently permaban exploiters + non-existent GM support = rampant exploiting all day, everyday. It's Cryptic's fault for not fixing most of these shortcuts and exploits in a timely fashion. They've all been reported to them for weeks, and some, even months. They simply don't care.

I generally hate exploiting in games I play, but I don't mind taking shortcuts and doing certain "exploits" in Neverwinter. I won't do the fall through the window in CN exploit because it's too risky, asking to be permabanned, but I have no problem with almost everything else. I've ran every dungeon at least 100 times already so no dungeon is interesting or fun for me anymore. It's all about loot and making AD.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hehe forced Dungeons? meh I'd rather stop playing and go to another game, although as it is I barely play. so that'd probably just push me right on out the door.

I don't play Dungeons because mainly other players are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, secondly reward is usually <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and easily replaced in 2 or so levels. And the things inside a dungeon are so **** annoying it's best to just go around them. Annoying monsters should have a reward to make it worth while to be annoyed by them.
  • gakonastickgakonastick Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2013
    The only somewhat imaginative boss fight in the epics is probably super-Krang. It has independent tentacles and throws a mini-boss your way too.

Problem is, it's wayyyyy over-tuned for a T2. Should have been a end-end game boss.
  • illessenillessen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited June 2013
    Imagine what would happen if they tethered trash mobs to the bosses? Skip all the mobs and engage the boss only to have 200 trash mobs converge on your position :p It's been done in other games so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Though I'd have to agree, have some sort of incentive to actually killing mobs. I'd say blue profession items and blue 55-60 gear with tier gear as rare as blues are now for solo play. If you give gold, people stop selling stuff for gold and people will end up literally drowning in gold before too long even if the cost of med kits were 5 gold a piece.
  • jellichojellicho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    Each dungeon essentially is the same, you fight through trash for 1 hour (assuming no exploits or rushes) then kill a 20 million hp boss with 1000 adds.

They really couldn't have come up with something different for at least ONE other dungeon?
  • falonthasfalonthas Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    easy fix use real hp for pc and monsters with real xp values making this dnd and not another clone as it has turned into

but of course that doesnt suit the masses of i can level faster then you and ruins the game for actual dnd players trying it out
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why peeps want to skip delves? Is because its boring as frack after doing it a few times, I mean wtf who though this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> would be good endgame for pve?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • triggerlocktriggerlock Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I tend to agree with the opinion that it is because the drops are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Why they even have green equipment drops in epic dungeons is beyond me. Because of the inflated price of Greater Scrolls of Identification (125 AD at the Vendor you can buy them from) who is going to use a 125 AD scroll to identify level 60 greens that vendor for 10 silvers.

Making a 9 silver profit (as unidentified they vendor for 1 silver) does not seem to be a good use of 125 AD to me, given how easy gold is to come by anyway.

Additionally any Greater Scrolls that drop on the run you can probably sell easily on the Auction House for Astral Diamonds.

Great game design at work, it is not....
  • talung34talung34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    illessen wrote: »
    Imagine what would happen if they tethered trash mobs to the bosses? Skip all the mobs and engage the boss only to have 200 trash mobs converge on your position :p It's been done in other games so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Though I'd have to agree, have some sort of incentive to actually killing mobs. I'd say blue profession items and blue 55-60 gear with tier gear as rare as blues are now for solo play. If you give gold, people stop selling stuff for gold and people will end up literally drowning in gold before too long even if the cost of med kits were 5 gold a piece.

So pretty much exact same thing as we getting now.. Bosses with Billions of Adds... Where is this penalty you are talking about?
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    people don't skip the content because it's "boring" or "not worth it".

they skip content because they think there is a special prize or status for finishing the dungeon as fast as humanly possible. it's like that in every MMO, especially with PUGs.

basically the Epic Dungeons should just be a single room, where you fight all 4 bosses back to back. with no "trash" and no "adds".

that way the "have to rush through all the content right now" people can just walk in, pick up their epics, and leave within 10 minutes.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    jellicho wrote: »
    Because it's unrewarding and uninteresting. Players feel like their time is being wasted so there is zero incentive to fight through the trash.

Yes, the biggest reason is to get the boss and chest loot in the fastest time possible, but that's the root of the problem.

The vast majority of the game is boring and unrewarding. If the only valuable portion of the dungeon is to get to the boss fight, then why force players to waste time doing things they don't want to do? I'm sure they will fix bugs and whatnot to make the dungeon time longer, but is that really helping things?

How about trash mobs drop more runes, enchantments, coins, things that people actually want. Then doing a full clear of a dungeon won't be such a waste of time and there will be less incentive to rush through it or bug their way past it.

Fixing the bugs only forces people to play boring content they don't want to play in the first place.

I would say that the main reason people skip dungeon content is that 99% of the dungeon is relatively easy to get through and hit a huge road block at the boss and wipe. Once that happens people start dropping the group and all of the time you spent getting through the dungeon to the boss is WASTED...

I think that it is a huge design mistake to make the "boss encounter" WAY WAY WAY more difficult than all of the fights getting up to that point. It is extremely frustrating to spend X amount of time moping up all of the trash and never be able to finish the dungeon... :(
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • xanquilxanquil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    The reason I don't do them, or any group content is the N/G/P system. It makes doing any group content painful (even with friends).
    I can live with trash mobs dropping <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. But having that popup to roll on every unidentified green/blue that drops has got to go away for me to want to party again.
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    what stops me from doing them is actually the queue system why does it take so **** long just to match up 5 people
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Dungeons are fun to me.
    I love exploring every nook and cranny.
    It's just that some people enjoy whipping through dungeons as quickly as possible to beat the boss. And bypassing and exploiting provides a feeling of strategic satisfaction.
    I would much rather explore the dungeon than rush through it. If all people want to do is kill the boss, just put him a black cube, with a door, and let people at it. Although the cube would have to be large enough to hold all the adds.
    falonthas wrote: »
    easy fix use real hp for pc and monsters with real xp values making this dnd and not another clone as it has turned into

but of course that doesnt suit the masses of i can level faster then you and ruins the game for actual dnd players trying it out
    Agreed
    jmadfour wrote: »
    people don't skip the content because it's "boring" or "not worth it".

they skip content because they think there is a special prize or status for finishing the dungeon as fast as humanly possible. it's like that in every MMO, especially with PUGs.

basically the Epic Dungeons should just be a single room, where you fight all 4 bosses back to back. with no "trash" and no "adds".

that way the "have to rush through all the content right now" people can just walk in, pick up their epics, and leave within 10 minutes.
    I'm sure the PLers and End Gamers would love it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darklodusdarklodus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    The thing that irks me about the dungeons is if I'm lvl 60 and decide to try and solo a low level dungeon for kicks, I should at least get to crack the boss chest if I kill him. Tried 3 different times and always had the same result, no chest :(

Darklodus
  • juanzq88juanzq88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    is almost a week i dont do dungeons too, i dont have much time, sometimes, and killing a lot of adds is not really tahta fun..., they are chaeting with the difficulty of the game, they only put a loot of hp, and more defenses, there is your dungeon....a and knokc backs
  • banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Have to agree with ALl comments... one other thing might be to put more than ONE item in a chest.. I know there are some blue enchants and whatnots, but really, I havent gotten in a grp YET that can clear the caverns on reg play, much less epic! & runs all fail.. people have no idea how this game works... control MOBS/adds first, then work boss... last 3 times in as Cw I died right off the bat as I had every add on me, when I look everyone, is on the bosses...Those 3 I simply left after the 2nd mini boss ended up the same, with me telling them to kill the adds first. ANyways PWE could put more goodies in a chest then one item. Say boots, gloves, then helm, weapon and chest rings neck.. would make running more fun if you had a chance at something. I do think I saw where some loot has gone BOP, or you cant even roll now as your class cant use it.. so thats a step up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!