test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Man, do I wish you didn't level so quickly in this game!

sirwatson8181sirwatson8181 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Neverwinter really is one of the funnest MMO's I've played so far. I love the "crunchiness" of it; as a GWF (one who is currently quite comfortable with his class performance so far, nevertheless eagerly awaiting his upcoming buffs to become even more productive), hacking through waves and waves of mobs and watching those orange crit numbers fly is very satisfying, yet the challenge factor is definitely still there.

I think the game would be so much more engrossing if XP gain were tuned down, though! I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I haven't read a thread stating the same thing since I started the game and reading/browsing here.

About a 10% or maybe even like a 20% reduction in overall XP gain (from mobs and especially from completed quests) would force and encourage more lingering in all zones, more repeating of skirmishes and dungeons, both of which very much deserve revisiting and enjoying more than once, and I think would balance out the game much more. I realize all dungeons can be repeated later in their Epic versions, but there are many of us who relish each experience's "first time". Having to or choosing to revisit each of the dungeons and skirmishes while on-level with them several times would implant the memories of themselves more into our brains, enhancing enjoyment IMO.

Of course there's nothing stopping us from visiting the dungeons as often as we'd like as-is, but once you're out of their queue range, it's really a hassle to do so -- and impossible for skirmishes.

My character is at level 57 now. I'm a very methodical player, some may consider "slow". I've leveled at this pace on purpose. It's been going way too quickly, especially when one considers the relatively small size of each zone. But they (the individual zones) are all so beautiful IMHO, and I really wish there were a requirement to adventure in each of them for at *least* a little bit longer.

The rush to 60 hasn't been by my choice. If only the ride were slowed down a little! Guess I need to start making alts for once in my MMO life?
Post edited by sirwatson8181 on

Comments

• Options
    jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why do people ***** about leveling too fast? Some of us aren't basement dwellers with 24/7 gaming lives.
  • Options
    sirwatson8181sirwatson8181 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The other thing I wish this game had less of are trolls. They regenerate way too quickly as well.
  • Options
    traveller5traveller5 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    agreed. mmos of late are catering to the I want it now crowd. they have to be the best. companies dont want to lose money to this crowd to they cater to them. after all the i want it now crowd is more apt to spend big bucks to do it quickly. too bad companies were not smart enough to make different servers for these differing needs
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm going to reiterate what I stated in another thread, I completely disagree with this. I spend 4 out of seven days a week in the field insuring that many of you have the freedom to play this game and the piece of mind to feel safe in your homes, I spend a few hours on those days I have playing the game and checking the forums for news and interesting little threads. I still have only reached 24 on one character with no other alts. I thank the gains I receive everyday, because it feels like I can get somewhere even though I have very little time to devote to this.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    c1arity83c1arity83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As someone with less and less time every year, I don't mind the fast leveling. The biggest thing that worries me is high level content. If you're going to allow people to level as fast as you can in this game you have to give them something to do at the max level.

The leveling is the least of my concerns right now. I'm personally more concerned about all the bosses essentially being the same fight.
  • Options
    grimaldesgrimaldes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jpnole wrote: »
    Why do people ***** about leveling too fast? Some of us aren't basement dwellers with 24/7 gaming lives.

While not stated very politely, I completely agree. You say a lot of people enjoy leveling up slower and repeating skirmishes and dungeons. Well a lot of us dont give a **** about quest content or story lines in the side quests. I work 60 hours a week, have a wife and two kids. The only thing I play mmos for is the end game content. I want to be there asap. That is where i find my enjoyment. If you want to linger in a zone or repeat runs then do so. Stay longer...it doesnt require an xp nerf for you to consciously make a descision to do that. For myself and those like me the only part of a quest log we glance at is how much xp it grants so we know how soon wd can move on.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    azlanfox, uh, thanks for your service I guess? But how many hours per day do you spend playing Neverwinter?

Personally I'm lucky if I get in 2-3 hours/day. I started playing on April 27th. Do the math. That averages gaining a level about once ever 1.5 hours worth of gameplay. Do you think that's normal?

If so, you must not play many MMO's.
  • Options
    illessenillessen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited June 2013
    If there was enough content at ALL levels of the game then I could certainly see slowing down leveling, possibly even to a major extent. But frankly there isn't, there's barely enough content at end game to keep most players who would rather run dungeons for their gear than buy it busy for more than a couple weeks.

Imagine if 1-20 took as long as 1-60 did, but had a set of dungeons and such you can level through and give you gear that will easily last you till the next tier from 21-40, then the same thing 41-60, and finally end game content. Instead of rehashing content as epic versions, each tier had it's own set of dungeons, level of pvp play, and value on gear used to level with because leveling would take more than a day for even the most hardcore people...

But then again there would be people crying that they don't have the time to reach end game content, that actually gets updated every so often and they're stuck with the old <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that no one wants to play so they'd have to also update all those previous tiers of content making the ones above it trivial...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    grimaldes wrote: »
    I work 60 hours a week, have a wife and two kids. The only thing I play mmos for is the end game content. I want to be there asap.

These facts shouldn't dictate how quickly the rest of the populace of the planet earth is able to progress in a game like Neverwinter. Please try to be somewhat reasonable about it.

If you want to reach endgame that quickly, maybe you should consider getting one of your kids to level your character for you while you're at work? Or your wife, maybe?
  • Options
    cripplefacecrippleface Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree i also would like level slower and perhaps get more in depth in the story instead of it just feeling like it's rushing me through.
  • Options
    traveller5traveller5 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azianfox thank you for your service. though i have to disagree with you. I am an old solder that was mmo'ing before it came popular. started out with PNP, if you screwed up you died and had to work for your levels. i was able to soldier and Mud at the same time. multi user dungeon. all text based. if you died you lost a level which at the higher levels could relate to weeks of work. it made you think and be careful. not just running into 50 mobs because you didnt have to worry about death. you would plan out strategy, had to have a balanced party. this game play is just not offered in the graphical world, so follks like us that like to work for our levels have no where to go. basically our market is gone unless we want to play text based muds again. and now we are butting heads with folks that want everything handed to them on a silver platter cuz they are too busy. and the game companies cater to them as they dont want to lose a source of revenue. why are we butting heads? we have two different ideas of the games we want to play unfortunately for us their are none so consquently some of us complain in forums like this, mostly just waisting breath.
  • Options
    icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem really is that the game tries to be all things.
    Campaign, dungeons, epic dungeons, and PvP are practically different games. Jack of all trades, master of none?
    And as a free-to-play game I'd expect the campaign to get the least attention because honestly there's no need to spend any money on that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I don't pay attention to the time between levels, I grab quest(s) go to objective(s), accomplish, and turn in. grimaldes and I are about the same in this aspect.

I will get maybe 4 hours spread between two days back-to-back. As for my MMO experience besides Neverwinter, I've played Guild Wars, Perfect World (Asian version not International), Sword of the New World, Cabal, Rappelz, Shaiya, and Guild Wars 2. Admittedly, other than GW, SotNW, and GW2, all others were fairly brief forays.

@traveller5: I can respect your opinion, if I understand it properly as the grammar is a bit rough, but the OP expressed an opinion and I wished to voice mine from my unique perspective. I also have a family and other responsibilities. I may not be as focused on the endgame as grimaldes, but I enjoy seeing progress every time I have some time to play.

• Options
    pansapienpansapien Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't mind the fast levelling but I would like it to be easier to find and complete out levelled quests. I'd like to be able to do the quest for (and queue for) the dungeon at the end of an area after running through the story that is supposed to lead up to it.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its all about options. The leveling seems fast now...mostly because everything is new and most folks want to do a bit of everything.

Not everyone is wants to do everything. And that want gets reduced after a play through or two.

I like it how it is. I can level by quests, I can run dungeons, PVP, or even craft my way up. If one path gets dull there are others. Id much rather have that, then a system that forces folks to do everything, in some cases even having to repeat it. Just to level up.

Personally, id like to see an option to disable xp. So if I wanna smell the roses or take a few runs at a dungeon i'm not going to worry about out leveling it. Id just hate to HAVE to do that dungeon over and over again just because im out of quests and i'm underleveled for the next area.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Its all about options. The leveling seems fast now...mostly because everything is new and most folks want to do a bit of everything.

Not everyone is wants to do everything. And that want gets reduced after a play through or two.

I like it how it is. I can level by quests, I can run dungeons, PVP, or even craft my way up. If one path gets dull there are others. Id much rather have that, then a system that forces folks to do everything, in some cases even having to repeat it. Just to level up.

Personally, id like to see an option to disable xp. So if I wanna smell the roses or take a few runs at a dungeon i'm not going to worry about out leveling it. Id just hate to HAVE to do that dungeon over and over again just because im out of quests and i'm underleveled for the next area.

This is a very good response. I agree with a lot of these points. One of the things I find that I love so far is that I am not tied to an endless grind of killing monsters and endless fetch quests.

• Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter really is one of the funnest MMO's I've played so far. I love the "crunchiness" of it; as a GWF (one who is currently quite comfortable with his class performance so far, nevertheless eagerly awaiting his upcoming buffs to become even more productive), hacking through waves and waves of mobs and watching those orange crit numbers fly is very satisfying, yet the challenge factor is definitely still there.

I think the game would be so much more engrossing if XP gain were tuned down, though! I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I haven't read a thread stating the same thing since I started the game and reading/browsing here.

About a 10% or maybe even like a 20% reduction in overall XP gain (from mobs and especially from completed quests) would force and encourage more lingering in all zones, more repeating of skirmishes and dungeons, both of which very much deserve revisiting and enjoying more than once, and I think would balance out the game much more. I realize all dungeons can be repeated later in their Epic versions, but there are many of us who relish each experience's "first time". Having to or choosing to revisit each of the dungeons and skirmishes while on-level with them several times would implant the memories of themselves more into our brains, enhancing enjoyment IMO.

Of course there's nothing stopping us from visiting the dungeons as often as we'd like as-is, but once you're out of their queue range, it's really a hassle to do so -- and impossible for skirmishes.

My character is at level 57 now. I'm a very methodical player, some may consider "slow". I've leveled at this pace on purpose. It's been going way too quickly, especially when one considers the relatively small size of each zone. But they (the individual zones) are all so beautiful IMHO, and I really wish there were a requirement to adventure in each of them for at *least* a little bit longer.

The rush to 60 hasn't been by my choice. If only the ride were slowed down a little! Guess I need to start making alts for once in my MMO life?

Problem is there isn't enough content. If they slowed down the leveling people would be forced to grind away.
  • Options
    ricktus1973ricktus1973 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Normally I would agree with the OP. This might be a different case here. It's going to depend on how fast they can crank out major updates with new content to mow through at higher levels. At the same time, if people do become bored, you can have up to fifty character slots (although, if you fill those up...wow). Not to mention, this is a story based game. D&D in general is story based. The foundry (if your not one to just skip through quest text) can offer hours upon hours of new content to check out even at max level, and if your not feeling like making an alt or going through other peoples creations, make your own. Foundry isn't as hard to use as the old NWN editors.
  • Options
    dizznutzzdizznutzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jpnole wrote: »

Because there is absolutely nothing to do once you hit L60 and get your crappy T2 gear by kiting around mobs during boss fights.... duh? At least the leveling was a bit enjoyable.
  • Options
    hann1bal13hann1bal13 Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    Leveling was very fast and I was surprised I never hit any kind of plateau but remained at a rapid pace the whole time. It was nice to constantly get new abilities but I leveled past most dungeons via questing and yet still hit cap before reaching the final zone. It would also be nice to see a different reward in place of exp once you are capped to encourage finishing up questing.
  • Options
    musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I think what most "so" freaking busy people (rofl to Mr "please, I save your lives so leave me My Super Fast leveling MMO", maybe you shouldn't have enlist to be a soldier with such a mentality... the poor guy collecting pets **** on the streets deserves less than you ?) did not understood here, which is what the op where trying to explain, is that you can totally level very fast in this game without doing everything.
    If you do : PvP + dungeons + skirmishes + prays + fundry quests as main story quests you'll just be 60 before even being able to spell it.
    For example : what's the point of earning XP while praying ? or earning so many xp thanks to PvP... since it's not a PvP game (only 4 or 5 PvP games lead me from early 21 to 22)

It's like just running around doing nothing makes you earning xp in this game. Easy and fast Xp, ok why not, but if it could be a little more challenging and relevant it wouldn't hurt.
  • Options
    ariakan1976ariakan1976 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Leveling has no rules.There is no rule that says that leveling must be slow or fast.Each company designs the leveling part as they like.
    However,why is it so important for some people if the game offers fast leveling?I mean,The content is all there.If you want,you can go again and again,no matter the lvl,and do it.For example i lvl together with my brother.We dont run like crazy from quest to quest.We search everything,we ready the quest dialogues,even the Lores.Then we always try at the end to do the area dungeon and skirmish.And honestly we became lvl 60 in about 15 days.

What i mean is,that you can play as you like,but dont force a game to become slow in leveling just because some of you want it like that.Respect those,who have no time and those who care for the most important part of the game.....the end game content.There,yes,i care if the gear up is not easy,or if the fights are hard and can keep my interest for long time.

The leveking,is just to have some fun and learn your character and is up to you how fast you can do it or not.

Cheers and with respect to all the opinions

John
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    From what I've seen, fast leveling caters to the people who want to get to max level ASAP in order to whine about how the end-game content is (too easy/too hard/too buggy/uninteresting/non-existent/not being put out fast enough)

Considering how those players tend to abandon their games for the next one as soon as it comes out, I can't understand why MMO companies continue to design for them.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What i mean is,that you can play as you like,but dont force a game to become slow in leveling just because some of you want it like that.Respect those,who have no time and those who care for the most important part of the game.....the end game content.There,yes,i care if the gear up is not easy,or if the fights are hard and can keep my interest for long time.

Must be hard to get since most of you do not understand.

By lowering some xp gains (like for praying or lower xp from PvP) you will absolutely NOT level up slower. It will just allow you to do more things, things you'll probably don't have time to even test if you're short in time.

Thus people whom doesn't have much time to play could be able to do some quests, then a pvp game and then the skirmish of their tier, without lowering xp of some features you always miss dungeons or skirmishes of your tier, since you're too high level too fast.

For People just willing to go fast to end game, it will not change anything since they would level up super fast still thanks to quests, craft, dungeons and skirmishes the same as before.

We just would like the xp to be lowered (or even absent) in some feature to be able to have a more various and more rich experience. I don't have much time to play this game neither : I work, have a lot of activities (sports, long trekking due to my job, and so on) yet I would like not to ding each time a play a few pvp game + craft + prays without having had the time to play the dungeon or the skirmish of my tier at least once.

I think it's not far from understandable, and people whom like to rush could respect me as well.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    By lowering some xp gains (like for praying or lower xp from PvP) you will absolutely NOT level up slower.

Get less XP = level up at the same speed? I'm not sure I follow.

Honestly, if prayer exp is that egregious, just...stop praying? Or pray once a day for the coins and then stop?

It's also more than possible to level up crafting without also gaining exp, there are many tasks that award zero character exp.
  • Options
    kelanoriakelanoria Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am not a "basement dwellers with 24/7 gaming lives", I ve always been studying, working, enjoyed hanging out irl with friends and so on, even tho, i ve had my share of hardcore gaming while in EQ1 & 2 or EVE...

well in these games, back in the days (cuz there s been a lot of changes now) hitting the max lvl or finally putting your *** in a badassly equipped megathron was some kind of achievement - iirc it took me a full month to complete lvl 49 - 50 in EQ1 - before even trying the even more awsome achievement of let s say breaking through Plane of Fear, and then trying to kill CT would took yet another few weeks of attempts even playing every evening

in today's mmo's : create character, log in, play 30 mins, kill 50 undeads owns ya an achievement... nuff said.
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Fast levelling is better for MMOs. It makes the game more casual player friendly! When you think about it, a casual game can be enjoyed by both a casual and hardcore player! The hardcore player just needs to slow down a bit, go outside every now and then for some sun and don't play as much, and if you're body can't take it, play a 2nd game or MMO to feed your addiction if you have to!

But casual players can't enjoy hardcore games! If levelling is too slow, they are just gonna quit halfway through the game! Mike Monhaime, President of Blizzard said this himself several years ago, that the majority of players who cancel their subscriptions are new players who got bored levelling and never reached the cap level! So they sped up the levelling curve and Wrath of the Lich King ended up luring up to 12 million active subscribers! Blizzard proved that casual games = PROFIT, not hardcore games! Sorry, that's just how it is. Most gamers today have lives and don't want to spend the next 2 to 4+ months still levelling their characters to the cap level! They wanna be level capped like everyone else doing end-game content and worry about gearing up their characters!

Besides, if you don't skip zones, levelling isn't that fast! I'm levelling my 3rd alt right now, and this time I'm actually completing an entire zone before moving to the next one! It's not a waste of time either cause I get so much gold by finishing the entire zone!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kelanoria wrote: »
    in today's mmo's : create character, log in, play 30 mins, kill 50 undeads owns ya an achievement... nuff said.

I totally agree with you, and what else to add to the poster just above you : he just did not even bother to read my post (second being just some precisions of the first for people whom don't know the game or are pretty idiotic) and yet thinks he can answer and criticize.

Those new players generations are just ridiculous of lazyness and stupidity : they want everything, right away, without having to lift a finger... and after that they dare to complain games are boring and ill developped.

Welcome in the 12 yo Supah Moronic Childish new gen games : who's the best tard win the "ROFLMAOLOLILOL I'm teh roxor" contest !
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Most gamers today have lives and don't want to spend the next 2 to 4+ months still levelling their characters to the cap level

such a cliche

most hardcore players I been guilded with are adults with work and families, hence "lives", enjoying their good old rpg.

as it happens, in my mmo experience, and it s a long one, ppl that whine the most about leveling too slowly and not getting their T18 gear asap are ppl without lives or frustrated kids

edit : forum wont let you put an accent on the "e"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    edit : for some reason my previous post woudn show what i m writing :)
    edit again : fixed