What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devoted Cleric Upcoming Patch Notes Ruin Class/Shield

2»

Comments

• baltavibaltavi Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    alaric63 wrote: »
    It doesn't change the facts. Clerics, and the other Classes will have to play differently. No sense exploring that, just stamp your feet in an attempt to get Cryptic to do it your way. I don;t care either way.

I think clerics are fine with changing up how they play. Clerics thought shield stacking was just as bad as everyone else. All we want is for other tools (heals) and encounter/add changes to make up the difference.

Personally I think leaving the duration of shield to leave no gaps, therefore leaving it as a default skill that you can't change out would be just as lazy dev design as streams of adds.
  • griennegrienne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hog-wash. Just admit it. You don;t care for my interpretation, so you bash me instead. I can live with that.

It doesn't change the facts. Clerics, and the other Classes will have to play differently. No sense exploring that, just stamp your feet in an attempt to get Cryptic to do it your way. I don;t care either way.

It is not an interpretation it's just wrong.

I have not bashed you, I think your explanations lend to the large possibility that you don't play cleric endgame. That's not bashing thats interpreting based on your sloppy statements about cleric healing.

Play Differently? Sure, and stamp our feets? The whole point of a test server is to provide feedback, not just worship the ground the devs walk on.
  • healsareophealsareop Member Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    Astral Shield is the End Game for Clerics... It's at the end of the Power Tree, it's how they survive 30 or more adds in a boss fight in epics. How does nerfing the end game encounter power for Clerics help anyone, especially when Clerics were having a hard enough time already? By forcing Clerics to use other powers from earlier on in the tree and completely trashing AS? If it's broken then I won't be using it...

I hope they were too irrational with this decision. They said they listened to player feedback, I don't remember anyone saying AS was OPed, just that stacking it was...
    Well apparently shield stacking and the duration was actually a bug.. so now they are fixing it. I say they keep it how it is now though but take off the stacking. Why must they kill the class, that is meant to be - not tanky - but seem tanky because of the heals and buffs. It is our end game skill, what else do we have...? FF is amazing but works when players are around that person or add. Sunburst is only for the AP build up and healing word wont save your entire party, it heals 1k ticks max for individual heals.
    grienne wrote: »
    Except there is low mobility.

Every fight is just a swarm of adds, over and over and over again.

Red Wizards hit like a freight train individually. Our damage is mediocre so the idea that we are hybrids isn't true.

Lol you can't just stand in the circle in CN. You will die.
    Lol people haven't played games where the cleric is so overpowered that they simply can't die except for attacks that are meant to one hit. In this game, they seem very underpowered and squishy. Shield stacking, I understand it really needed a nerf. But what does nerfing it this hard solve? The tank will die since we have no other group heals and individual healing when 30 adds are around him no to mention your teammates could be hard. I'm thinking it's going to look like this in CN now.
    2 DC / 1GF / 1TR / 1CW - Still no point of taking a GWF because now you need 2 clerics even more than before... it's stupid, the stacking was enough of a nerf imo.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    yult wrote: »
    By the way, in case anyone was wondering, threads on this topic are being moved from General Discussion to the Cleric class forums. Apparently Cryptic is trying to mitigate the uproar that this is causing/soon to cause, but that's unlikely to help them when people simply quit playing their cleric/quit the game.

it is still on General Discussion :D

The Temple already on the heat of the subject as well.

I think there real problem is that they nerf the AS but not giving anything as an exchange. hopefully the new GF and GWF could withstand the time gap cause some dungeon, not even an end-game dungeon, is hard enough even with the current AS
  • g0ld3n4c3g0ld3n4c3 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    grienne wrote: »
    I think its because, and I will say it as a Cleric player, I am happy to see No more blue stacking and I want them to remove Blue + yellow stacking. because it means no more double healing cleric runs.

I want them to make DPS clerics more viable. random tangent.

Anyways, make healing more difficult, make it more action packed, I want that, so nerfing AS is okay on that concept, but we just need them to buff the other things we can do

then do not complain about a Cleric who cant heal. Cleric class is broken as hell and you say cleric class should dps?
    really your whole post doesn't make sense to me.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They gave us Righteousness but gave us nothing; I expect them to take Astral Shield and give us nothing.

I also feel the ADD problem is dungeons is because of the old game client. It is based on CO which released September 1, 2009.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • griennegrienne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    g0ld3n4c3 wrote: »
    then do not complain about a Cleric who cant heal. Cleric class is broken as hell and you say cleric class should dps?
    really your whole post doesn't make sense to me.

learn to read.
  • arlacharlach Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    ranguren wrote: »
    it is still on General Discussion :D

The Temple already on the heat of the subject as well.

I think there real problem is that they nerf the AS but not giving anything as an exchange. hopefully the new GF and GWF could withstand the time gap cause some dungeon, not even an end-game dungeon, is hard enough even with the current AS

It's still here because a mod hasn't seen this thread yet =)
    All the other ones in general have already been moved to cleric section, and we all know everything in there gets ignored.
  • silentsinssilentsins Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't believe the game was designed to have the Cleric heal through all the possible incoming damage. With the emphasis the Dev's put on Mobility I'm betting the Dev's want players to avoid as much of the incoming Damage as they can. With the changes to Clerics we should see players conserving their HP's not expecting a healer to soak it up.

Heck, there's no need to even reach into endgame encounters to realize how incorrect this point is. Head into any foundry mission, gather up a bunch of common mobs, and try to run away as they catch right up to you and hit you with unavoidable auto attacks.

If what you are saying is the intent, then why are mechanics such as these in the game in the first place? Why are they even worse in endgame dungeons? The red circles and telegraphed attacks are EASY to dodge, no one's complaining about that.

This is a perfect storm of:
    Poor basic mob AI
    Poor encounter design
    Poor class interaction (i.e. GF, CW, GWF target capped, heals are not)
    and now, poorly thought out class changes.

Some people have stated that Astral Shield is propping up a shallow class. I say that it's propping up all of the above. "Fixing" AS with all of the above left unaddressed is just a terrible idea.
    edited June 2013
    silentsins wrote: »
    Heck, there's no need to even reach into endgame encounters to realize how incorrect this point is. Head into any foundry mission, gather up a bunch of common mobs, and try to run away as they catch right up to you and hit you with unavoidable auto attacks.

I think the initial intention was to have the cleric be a hybrid heal/dps with an over reliance on astral shield to make up the short comings in end game. Probably was an attempt to avoid the tank/heal/dps-control roles. I think this causes far more problems than it solves. A move towards traditional roles would do a ton to make end game structured and fun. This could actually be accomplished without a huge restructuring of the game.

Buffing heals to be competitive with astral seal would be the start. A role selection on the queue screen, tank/heal/dps (for pve) would allow dps spec'd clerics and gf to queue and have fun without significantly messing up role functions, and ensuring that every group has the proper roles covered. Encounters could be designed easier with the assumption of each roles being present. The re-queue system could fill slots based on role and not exactly by class. This becomes even better when multiple heal/tank class variations are introduced, and the group filling system is simplified.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    silentsins wrote: »

If what you are saying is the intent, then why are mechanics such as these in the game in the first place? Why are they even worse in endgame dungeons? The red circles and telegraphed attacks are EASY to dodge, no one's complaining about that.

This is a perfect storm of:
    Poor basic mob AI
    Poor encounter design
    Poor class interaction (i.e. GF, CW, GWF target capped, heals are not)
    and now, poorly thought out class changes.

Some people have stated that Astral Shield is propping up a shallow class. I say that it's propping up all of the above. "Fixing" AS with all of the above left unaddressed is just a terrible idea.

YES! Someone get's it. I love you.

This is exactly what makes this game NOT an action RPG.

Why give us dodge if 99% of the dmg in the game is unavoidable and spammable?

Oh that's right, because normal movement won't cancel animations and it's the only way to let us avoid red circles, gotcha.

Good design Cryptic.

Hopefully you understand why Astral Shield was mandatory now.

What's funny is Champions Online is even better in this regard, even normal weak minions there have telegraphed charged attacks which you can choose to "block" whenever. Although even their auto attacks add up fast, which is just annoying.

Minions need to be minions, weak, plentiful and easy to kill. Not the most deadly things in the entire game.

I found a hilarious example of this, Hotenow mobs, the f*cking minions in there hit like trucks and have a spammable teleport, and what's funny is the massive fire giant mobs in some of the instances are so easy to dodge they're literally 0 threat, but take forever to kill.

The best part? Their hotbox is so massive it's impossible to target any of the "weak" minions next to them, and those minions are killing you so fast it's f*cking stupid, and you can't kill them unless you have enough aoe.

Oh look I managed to avoid 2 auto attacks that would've hit me for 30% of my health with my tiny tiny iFrame on my dodge. Too bad 1 second later they'll just hit me again.

What's also funny is that's when Clerics get Astral Shield, like the game is trying to tell you something.
    edited June 2013
    It's funny because parties are already wiping like mad, especially random parties in castle never. The dragon takes forever to kill, probably getting nerfed thought I read that somewhere but still, it's not even the dragon, it is the adds that just wipe your party. Without shield stacking and with less divinity gain its going to be near impossible to finish with pugs.
    edited June 2013
    healsareop wrote: »
    It's funny because parties are already wiping like mad, especially random parties in castle never. The dragon takes forever to kill, probably getting nerfed thought I read that somewhere but still, it's not even the dragon, it is the adds that just wipe your party. Without shield stacking and with less divinity gain its going to be near impossible to finish with pugs.

That's not true.

2x CW will become mandatory, that's all.

Hell you could probably just beat with with 4 CW's and no healer with 2 CW's rotating Oppressive daily, because let's face it, the ONLY threat in the ENTIRE game is the adds that spam <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> dmg.

X2 Oppressive would pretty much completely lock them down lol, hp pots would do the rest.

My CW can nearly perma lock adds with oppressive already with Archmage Set and certain encounters.
  • dddpunisher1dddpunisher1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i find it very ironic that clerics and TR's are freaking out about not being viable, when the GF and GWF were basically trash in the eyes of many over the past few months.

hits a little closer to home when its you doesn't it ?
    edited June 2013
    i find it very ironic that clerics and TR's are freaking out about not being viable, when the GF and GWF were basically trash in the eyes of many over the past few months.

For a healthy game it's in everybody's interest to not have any roles/class be useless in end game. Nobody was advocating that exclusion is a good thing.
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Always a good plan to enjoy nerfs to the only healing class in the game. Of course you may soon figure out that it isn't.....
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
    edited June 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    That's not true.

2x CW will become mandatory, that's all.

Hell you could probably just beat with with 4 CW's and no healer with 2 CW's rotating Oppressive daily, because let's face it, the ONLY threat in the ENTIRE game is the adds that spam <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> dmg.

X2 Oppressive would pretty much completely lock them down lol, hp pots would do the rest.

My CW can nearly perma lock adds with oppressive already with Archmage Set and certain encounters.
    No DC? Rofl, you've got to be kidding. It's funny because after this nerf what you're saying would be true, lets not take a DC since they are useless now. Do they provide well enough debuffs or buffs? Not really... and how are the heals? Trash and no group heals or single target heals that can keep up with massive aoe and damage from adds not to mention knockdowns and burn or poison damage.

You make no sense, GF and GWF were still good, it's just they didn't compete with CW/TR in a party, the setup is perfect as it is. GWF will still be useless because TR will still do more damage, and GF may be also, because you will need 2 DC more than ever now, so 2CW and 2DC and 1TR will still be the perfect PT setup for CN imo.
    lyaise wrote: »
    Always a good plan to enjoy nerfs to the only healing class in the game. Of course you may soon figure out that it isn't.....
    I don't understand this? Anyway, it's a bad idea to nerf their only move.
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't understand this? Anyway, it's a bad idea to nerf their only move.

Sorry I should have put /sarcasm at the end of my post. Copying a post I made in the Cleric forum:

Originally Posted by lyaise
    I like the way players from other classes drop the odd "get over it", or "lost your crutch" comment.

Sooner or later they are going to work out that they are the ones who will be affected by this AS change.

Seriously, do they think they are somehow immune to these Cleric changes when they come to join groups? That magically this won't affect them when they have increased threat, mobs all over them and crying out for heals? And at that time they'll hear this from the Cleric - oh sorry guys AS on CD, remember that change that you mocked us for ?

It's like the passengers mocking the bus driver for a having a flat tire - then realizing they're the ones who are stuck on it and not going anywhere.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • terenceqwy81terenceqwy81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    most of the cleric heal is kinda crappy to begin with, i agree to removing AS stacking, it's boring, but lowering the duration? you just kill a decent heal of a cleric class.
    bastion of health heals like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with a stupid long CD.. and target limit of 6, when companion is in the area as well, the cleric itself dont get the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> heal at all.. not considering -40% healing on the cleric itself.
    GF can tank properly only if the cleric is not using sunburst to agro, if cleric dont use sunburst, u can watch ur CW die in like 3-5seconds after aoeing. LOL
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They really should have took a more measured response. Just fix the stacking and leave the duration and see how things went from there. Instead its a one-two punch with nothing really to replace what was taken away. Anyway it should be interesting once this goes live to see how people respond. Personally I don't plan on playing my cleric other than to do the dailies. Hope you non-healers stock up on healing potions you might need them!
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    AS was obviously too powerful it needed to be nerfed. Clerics are still plenty useful. And no epic dungeons will happen without them.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lyaise wrote: »
    (colours stripped)
    Seriously, do they think they are somehow immune to these Cleric changes when they come to join groups? That magically this won't affect them when they have increased threat, mobs all over them and crying out for heals? And at that time they'll hear this from the Cleric - oh sorry guys AS on CD, remember that change that you mocked us for ?

It's like the passengers mocking the bus driver for a having a flat tire - then realizing they're the ones who are stuck on it and not going anywhere.

You can't expect lowest common denominator players who roll rogue in every single MMO to be an OMFGfacerollninja to bother themselves by actually.. you know.. considering stuff. If they wanted to do all that darned fancy-pants thinkin', they would would have rolled Poindexter, bro.

Yes, it is rather "LOL, you suck for being upset that one of the wings is coming off this plane", it's true.

Also, it strikes me that "measure twice, cut once" might be a good maxim. A few changes to this pivotal class, review, rinse and repeat with hotfixes would seem to make more sense.
    edited June 2013
    AS was obviously too powerful it needed to be nerfed. Clerics are still plenty useful. And no epic dungeons will happen without them.

Yes, it was beyond overpowered.

But it was necessary, the game is balanced around it, there is too much unavoidable dmg flying at you otherwise, so they need to make adjustments.

I would LOVE to see AS completely die.
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes as it is the nerf on AS duration is painful.

But I don't want to see that particular change be reversed. What I WANT to see is for healing to become a more active thing.

These are changes I personally would like to see.
    1. Major buffs to the heal amount of both Bastion and Soothing Light.
    2. Cut the CD of Bastion by 1/3.
    3. Cut the Divinity use of SL cut in half.
    4. Slightly buff the heal of Sunburst(only Divinity version).
    5. Change healing word to be a direct heal + regen on normal use, and AOE heal+regen (or some type of x players near target get affected) for Divinity version.
    6. Remove Astral Shield from invigorated healing and replace it with Healing Word.
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The other issue with the duration being cut, is that we are losing a chunk of healing from the divine mode too, so not only has our damage reduction (DR) been reduced, our healing output has been nerfed as well.

I have no problem at all with astral shield being reduced in effectiveness but bastion of health our other area of effect heal, needs to be buffed to make up for the loss of healing from our current other area of effect healing astral shield. On top of that bastion of health is under preforming due to a excessive cool down that needs to be addressed.

Another issue is that Healing word while a relatively good skill, is also under preforming due to a broken and the bizarre static cool down of 15 seconds. The duration of healing word could be cut by 33% as well to increase the effectiveness of each tick while keeping the amount healed the same.

There are a great many little bits that could be changed to assist in the healing reduction and damage reduction that we have received in this patch.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • snake0ilsnake0il Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One of the things I like most about healing in this game is the fact that I'm not forced to stare at the groups healthbars for however long it takes to complete a dungeon. I would be extremely disappointed if they changed the class so that you'd have to focus more on single target healing. Combine that with the difficulty of picking out (and targeting) individual party members in a sea of adds and the need to be constantly scooting around in a futile attempt to dodge every red spot on the ground and the angry pack chasing you...I just don't see how that would be fun at all.

I agree with the posters who say that the nerf to AS duration is not needed, removing the stacking is the only change that needed to be made. Every cleric who has solo healed T2 dungeons knows that in its current state the cleric has no way of keeping a group alive in high stress situations when AS is down (spider boss after an unlucky dispel for example) beyond throwing a divine FF, HG and crossing your fingers.