test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can We Just Do Away With This Stupid Celestial Coin Thing?

knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
It's such a pointless mechanic, making you lose all your coins if you don't invoke for like 24 hours or w/e.

It doesn't even work properly, I invoke ALL of my characters the same time every day and just logged in to have it say "Your celestials coins have been reset to 0" when I know for a fact I invoked this character like 3 times yesterday.

What's the point of this mechanic? It's still a DAILY, if you don't log in for 1-2 days you're missing 1-2 days of progress right there, so it punishes you anyway, so why then do you lose the **** coins? WHAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THAT? To randomly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people off?
Post edited by knoteskad on

Comments

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Technically I think its 29 hour so it is possible but unlikely that if you invoke one day fairly early and the next day fairly late then you can actually exceed the Celestrial coin grace period.

However, you still keep your Ardent coins anyway.
  • gimpinatorgimpinator Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2013
    It's definitely a pain in the ***. I'd be much happier if the window of opportunity was expanded to 48 hours.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its so people log in EVERY single day. Even if it is just a couple of minutes.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    starkaos wrote: »

And if they didn't they'd still be punished because it's a DAILY thing.

You don't log in the whole day, you miss that round of dailies.

Still pointless making them dissapear.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guess I'll give the medical folks the password. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    starkaos wrote: »

this. That is the point of DAILY login reward. If loging once every 29 hours is too much for you, then you won't get daily rewards, its that simple.
    Daily rewards doesn't provide anything mandatory for you anyway, just a small bonus once a week or once every 5 days.
    If you can't find time to play even few minutes a day, you don't deserve daily rewards, end of story.

edit:
    moreover EVERY invocation REFRESHES the timer, regardless if you got the coin or not, every invocation puts the timer on 29 hours.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Gah, No! Its the only cost effective way to get Cwards.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »

Actually, you'll be better doing dungeons and selling T2 pieces. Much more reliable then a chance once a week(that seems to get decreased some time ago from my observation).
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's a simple daily login bonus. I've got no idea how it's causing this much fuss. /confused

(except for the day they did the rollback + server downtime, I haven't lost coins. But, then, I refresh my invokes at night when I do my overnight crafting projects. But if I did miss a day, and lose them? Meh, no biggie. Losing your "daily login bonus" because you didn't login for a day is a pretty standard modern game mechanic.)

edit: also I must have terrible luck, since I haven't gotten a single blue ward yet, invoking on six+ characters. So I just sell the boxes now. 20k diamonds per box is better than a green enchant & green ward.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Actually, you'll be better doing dungeons and selling T2 pieces. Much more reliable then a chance once a week(that seems to get decreased some time ago from my observation).

Agreed. But just getting them here and there from praying is just one more way. Your right, but why take out the free option. It doesnt hurt to have that option as well.
  • athanshadowathanshadow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Technically I think its 29 hour so it is possible but unlikely that if you invoke one day fairly early and the next day fairly late then you can actually exceed the Celestrial coin grace period.

However, you still keep your Ardent coins anyway.

this is how i lost all my coins a few days ago.not good idea play early one day and then at night the day after.
    edited June 2013
    I invoked last night before I went to bed.

Woke up this morning and lost them all, so it's definately broken.

kiralyn wrote: »
    It's a simple daily login bonus. I've got no idea how it's causing this much fuss. /confused

(except for the day they did the rollback + server downtime, I haven't lost coins. But, then, I refresh my invokes at night when I do my overnight crafting projects. But if I did miss a day, and lose them? Meh, no biggie. Losing your "daily login bonus" because you didn't login for a day is a pretty standard modern game mechanic.)

How hard is this to understand? Even if coins didn't vanish you'd still lose coins not logging in DAILY to invoke DAILY, because it's a DAILY.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »

Yeah, that's definitely a bug. :(

Even if coins didn't vanish you'd still lose coins not logging in DAILY to invoke DAILY, because it's a DAILY.

...right. Because it's a daily login bonus. That involves logging in daily.
  • kt6ylz3qcikt6ylz3qci Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The coin is a reward for the daily task of logging in. If you don't or can't log in on a given day, you don't get a coin. I didn't do the task, so I don't get the reward. That's fine. That makes perfect sense.

But on top of that, the game also says that there's a penalty for not doing the daily task. The penalty is that it wipes out all the days that you did do the task.

Isn't it sufficient that no work equals no reward? That part is perfectly reasonable. The "penalty" is built into that already. The penalty is self-imposed, and the system is self-regulating. I could have the coins in seven days but instead it takes me 10, 15, 30, or however many days to accumulate the 7, and that is entirely up to me.

Do you see what I mean? The system is already self-regulating without the need to destroy the coins already accumulated. If it takes me twenty days to accumulate seven coins, that is entirely on me. That was my choice and I accept it.

Only I don't have that choice. I have to make logging in to the game every day a priority or else I can't make any progress at all, and that's just not something I can do.
  • nonamesavaliablenonamesavaliable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013

How hard is this to understand? Even if coins didn't vanish you'd still lose coins not logging in DAILY to invoke DAILY, because it's a DAILY.

Either you blacked out for longer than 29 hours, or you seem to be the only one with that bug. I hope it's the latter one, in which the smart choice would be to contact Cryptic about it.
    Honestly, I have no idea why you're so aggressive about this (you almost remind me of my first experience in Lair of the Mad Dragon). It's a neat little implemented timer designed to incorporate the notion of you logging on daily on Cryptic servers. If you can't do it, you don't get the reward. You seem to be repeating the same word 'Daily' again, but obviously miss the entire concept of it. The daily rewards are both coins, ardent and celestial. You can redeem these coins as you accumulate them over time - time being the keyword here - for bonus items.

Fundamentally, it's an activity reward system. I can't make it any more simple or concise, I hope you understand.
    edited June 2013
    Either you blacked out for longer than 29 hours, or you seem to be the only one with that bug. I hope it's the latter one, in which the smart choice would be to contact Cryptic about it.
    Honestly, I have no idea why you're so aggressive about this (you almost remind me of my first experience in Lair of the Mad Dragon). It's a neat little implemented timer designed to incorporate the notion of you logging on daily on Cryptic servers. If you can't do it, you don't get the reward. You seem to be repeating the same word 'Daily' again, but obviously miss the entire concept of it. The daily rewards are both coins, ardent and celestial. You can redeem these coins as you accumulate them over time - time being the keyword here - for bonus items.

Fundamentally, it's an activity reward system. I can't make it any more simple or concise, I hope you understand.

Because it's a pointless mechanic that only serves to annoy people.

And I was annoyed.
    kt6ylz3qci wrote: »
    The coin is a reward for the daily task of logging in. If you don't or can't log in on a given day, you don't get a coin. I didn't do the task, so I don't get the reward. That's fine. That makes perfect sense.

But on top of that, the game also says that there's a penalty for not doing the daily task. The penalty is that it wipes out all the days that you did do the task.

Isn't it sufficient that no work equals no reward? That part is perfectly reasonable. The "penalty" is built into that already. The penalty is self-imposed, and the system is self-regulating. I could have the coins in seven days but instead it takes me 10, 15, 30, or however many days to accumulate the 7, and that is entirely up to me.

Do you see what I mean? The system is already self-regulating without the need to destroy the coins already accumulated. If it takes me twenty days to accumulate seven coins, that is entirely on me. That was my choice and I accept it.

Only I don't have that choice. I have to make logging in to the game every day a priority or else I can't make any progress at all, and that's just not something I can do.

THIS, THANK YOU.

Someone who actually gets it.
    edited June 2013

And if you choose to be inactive, isn't it sufficient that there's no reward? Why undo the activities already performed?
  • jacki3chan1jacki3chan1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »

Exactly, a possible free Coal ward every 7 days for somthing so simple. why remove it?
  • nonamesavaliablenonamesavaliable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because it's a pointless mechanic that only serves to annoy people.
    And I was annoyed.

That's your objective opinion. I can assure you that when Cryptic made it, the last thing on their mind was to 'annoy' people.
    And if you choose to be inactive, isn't it sufficient that there's no reward? Why undo the activities already performed?
    As explained in my previous post; you get both an ardent and a celestial coin. These two are your daily rewards. However, one you get to keep, the other is only used for bonus items which you can obtain over a longer period of activity. Everyone gets his daily coin, but the more active players are also rewarded. I'm sorry if you don't like this, but that's how the cookie crumbles. It's a daily in every sense of the way, you just compare it to a longer length of time. Hope this clears things out.
    edited June 2013
    Exactly, a possible free Coal ward every 7 days for somthing so simple. why remove it?

I didn't mean "remove celestial coins".

I mean't remove the silly pointless penalty.
  • satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

The thing is you are completely forgetting there are TWO coins. You keep all of the other one you receive, and the other is 7 days in a row. It is to reward those who play daily, this is not the only MMO that follows this system, you miss one day and you lose the reward.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like it. I don't think they should change it. Just because it's not good for you doesn't mean they should change it,
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's a perfectly reasonable system. Log in most days, but can't everyday? You get your Ardents, and some day you'll get that Angel.

Can log in everyday? Chance for a C-ward. Can't? Oh well; life goes on. Why would you expect everything from the game?

Sorry your timer got bugged, but the bug's the problem (assuming there actually is one), not the design intention.
  • perfectblynperfectblyn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you're all forgetting that these coins are a gift from god:

if you abstain and dutifully gather wool scraps, you are rewarded.

if on the weekend you go out, get drunk and lay with a woman, you are punished.

just like god IRL.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I Actually Like The Celestial Coins, Its The Ardent Coins I Hate.

Seriously how do people type like that in full sentences? That was physically difficult.
    edited June 2013
    I Actually Like The Celestial Coins, Its The Ardent Coins I Hate.

Seriously how do people type like that in full sentences? That was physically difficult.

You Must Not Type Much.

Haha.
    edited June 2013
    As explained in my previous post; you get both an ardent and a celestial coin. These two are your daily rewards. However, one you get to keep, the other is only used for bonus items which you can obtain over a longer period of activity. Everyone gets his daily coin, but the more active players are also rewarded. I'm sorry if you don't like this, but that's how the cookie crumbles. It's a daily in every sense of the way, you just compare it to a longer length of time. Hope this clears things out.

And as explained clearly in my previous post, the downside of not logging in is already built in: If I can't or don't log in, I don't get a Celestial. As illustrated with a clarity one could only describe as crystalline in nature, the system is already perfectly self-regulating without the need for imposing the additional penalty of removing previous rewards.

If I don't log in, I don't get a coin. The minimum number of days required to accumulate the coins is seven, but it might take me longer -- which would be fine, because that would be on me. I accept that it took me ten or fifty days to get seven coins because it was in my own hands to get them in only seven. The only problem is, the game says it's seven consecutive days or bust. It's this last part and only this last part that sensible people find a bit odd and unnecessary.

It really is quite a simple matter and so I hope this clears things up for you.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    edit: also I must have terrible luck, since I haven't gotten a single blue ward yet, invoking on six+ characters. So I just sell the boxes now. 20k diamonds per box is better than a green enchant & green ward.

Interesting idea, actually. I invoke daily with eight characters and I have been getting one blue ward per week, but I think that was lucky. Selling boxes at 20k seems more stable income. Do they typically sell fast at that price?
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • magusatxmagusatx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    imo the problem isnt the daily login, nor the loss of the coins... the problem is... at least on my side... the 24 + 5 hours between the invokes... why not just make it once per server day... i dont have time everyday at the same time to log in... one day i can log in the morning ... the next day in the evening... that makes.... MORE THAN 29 hours... so i logged in and still lost my coins...

next day i can again log in the morning.... as it havent been 24 hrs since last invoke.... i dont get a coin.... again lost a coin....

what a crappy system!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i play other games where u have to log every day... including other PW games.... where the login timer is set to serverday not to ur last login.. there i never missed out on rewards except i really CANT LOGIN FOR A WHOLE DAY

just my 2 cents
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And as explained clearly in my previous post, the downside of not logging in is already built in: If I can't or don't log in, I don't get a Celestial. As illustrated with a clarity one could only describe as crystalline in nature, the system is already perfectly self-regulating without the need for imposing the additional penalty of removing previous rewards.

If I don't log in, I don't get a coin. The minimum number of days required to accumulate the coins is seven, but it might take me longer -- which would be fine, because that would be on me. I accept that it took me ten or fifty days to get seven coins because it was in my own hands to get them in only seven. The only problem is, the game says it's seven consecutive days or bust. It's this last part and only this last part that sensible people find a bit odd and unnecessary.

It really is quite a simple matter and so I hope this clears things up for you.

You use the term "self-regulating," but the purpose of the system is not to regulate the flow of items into the game: it's to drive user engagement by providing both positive and negative consequences to logging in daily. Not getting a Celestial Coin isn't a negative consequence, it's just a non-event. The loss of Celestial Coins is necessary to provide that.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev