test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

nerf 3 classes rather then buff 2?

reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
i cannot understand the logic on nerfing 3 classes that were perfectly balanced when it would of been much easier to just buff the other 2 and it would of made alot more people happy
Actual Join date: Dec 2007
Post edited by reilz1981 on

Comments

• griennegrienne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    i cannot understand the logic on nerfing 3 classes that were perfectly balanced when it would of been much easier to just buff the other 2 and it would of made alot more people happy

lol perfectly balanced? That's not true haha.
  • satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    TR and CW were not perfectly balanced at all.
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    would've or would have no such thing as would of :p
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    really how so a rogue is based off an assassin would you expect them to take several tries to kill their target i think not and as for the control wizard it depends how they are played and if they are high level yes they should have alot of power

zurkhon if all you can bring to the table is grammar corrections go teach english
  • zeromatrix01zeromatrix01 Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Once I read that the 3 classes were PERFECTLY balanced, I knew thread wasn't serious.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Rogues really aren't "assassins"

They will have more damage output than basically any other class to a single target at the current time frame but they are not actually assassins. They are actually supposed to, ideally, engage and disengage targets using "tricks." :)

Brining up classes to meet others isn't always the answer. Let's see how it plays out in game though rather than assuming that it was a bad choice without giving it a try. The test shard is up and waiting for you to log in!
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you make some good points ambisinisterr i am in the process of patching and will eat my words if it does prove to be a decent change
  • xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    really how so a rogue is based off an assassin would you expect them to take several tries to kill their target i think not and as for the control wizard it depends how they are played and if they are high level yes they should have alot of power\

Rogue is not based off an assassin ( Note the "Trickster" part ). Other way around. A rogue, in the D&D sense, is a scoundrel and a thief. Someone who specializes in trickery, deception and burglary. Hell, originally the ability to backstab was a secondary function of the Thief class in D&D. Assassin was a separate subclass onto itself. In DnD, you had a Thief in the party to take care of the dastardly things the rest of the party could not. Stealing, lockpicking, listening at doors, disarming traps, tricking NPCs and monsters. Lying or bluffing your way out of tricky situations, etc.

The rogue as an assassin is a trope of modern MMOs. Not of tabletop RPGs where they originated as a aming archtype.

But even within the context of a Assassin as they originally were; They were deceptive characters that specialized in surprise attacks and information gathering. But they used poison and disguises to kill or to spy. Neither class was a brawler like a TR in NW ended up being.
  • maxwelsilvermaxwelsilver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited June 2013

They will have more damage output than basically any other class to a single target at the current time frame but they are not actually assassins. They are actually supposed to, ideally, engage and disengage targets using "tricks." :)

Brining up classes to meet others isn't always the answer. Let's see how it plays out in game though rather than assuming that it was a bad choice without giving it a try. The test shard is up and waiting for you to log in!

I haven't been on in two weeks, but a friend told me about the nerf and I've been reading the forums for a couple hours since. So how is it we get to the test shard? As my main is a DC, I want to see for myself.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    When water is too hot, you turn the hot water down. Not the cold water up.:)
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013

These are not nerfs at all , they're just fixing the stacking of certain abilities are you really that spaced out ?
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GWF and GF did get buffs, as did most classes in some way or another.

Most of the 'nerfs' were fixing the stacking of certain abilities that made running with 2 or more of that class almost necessary (Yes, the devs want balanced teams rather than Defenders getting completely shafted in favor of DC, DC, TR, CW, CW).

And this won't be the final wave of balance patches, balance in an MMO is constantly changing and will be even more treacherous for the Dev team going fowards as new classes start to come out.
    edited June 2013

Assassin would be a kool class to add..... Bring back "Death Attack" maybe......:)
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I haven't been on in two weeks, but a friend told me about the nerf and I've been reading the forums for a couple hours since. So how is it we get to the test shard? As my main is a DC, I want to see for myself.

You can learn all about it here.

Just sign up, patch your launcher, load the game up.
    Just in Protector's Enclave you'll notice plenty of visual changes and even basic combat in different zones should give you a feel for the changes. As a cleric I actually found my ability to deal with higher level creatures on my own much improved.
  • renegademarshalrenegademarshal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    really how so a rogue is based off an assassin would you expect them to take several tries to kill their target i think not and as for the control wizard it depends how they are played and if they are high level yes they should have alot of power

zurkhon if all you can bring to the table is grammar corrections go teach english

Hah, no.

A Rogue should not be able to take out a 60% GF or GWF with a SE. Nor should they be able to take out a CW, DC, or other TR at 80% with a SE.

CW are not ranged damage dealers. That's the AR's role. CW's are meant to keep targets away from the party and keep them locked down for their allies. Damage CW's should not have nearly as much of an effect as more CC oriented Wizards.

Now, let's see.

DC's were broken. AS stacking along with its bugged duration made this game far easier than it should be.

TR's were given an execution that could instantly kill, not just down, a tank at 60% which cannot be dodged and can only be broken by a very quick CC at the beginning of the animation.

CW's are Control. Hence, their primary focus should be control. They're still going to push things off cliffs with their powers, they will still be vital in PvE. In PvP, they can no longer try and duel GWF (the mage-killer class) but are far more effective in teamfights than before.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    xhiven wrote: »
    Rogue is not based off an assassin ( Note the "Trickster" part ). Other way around. A rogue, in the D&D sense, is a scoundrel and a thief. Someone who specializes in trickery, deception and burglary. Hell, originally the ability to backstab was a secondary function of the Thief class in D&D. Assassin was a separate subclass onto itself. In DnD, you had a Thief in the party to take care of the dastardly things the rest of the party could not. Stealing, lockpicking, listening at doors, disarming traps, tricking NPCs and monsters. Lying or bluffing your way out of tricky situations, etc.

The rogue as an assassin is a trope of modern MMOs. Not of tabletop RPGs where they originated as a aming archtype.

But even within the context of a Assassin as they originally were; They were deceptive characters that specialized in surprise attacks and information gathering. But they used poison and disguises to kill or to spy. Neither class was a brawler like a TR in NW ended up being.

So rogues are supposed to kill people in PvP by picking locks, listening to dors, and disarming traps? Oh you control wizards better watch out, I'm gathering information! Once I'm done reading these scrolls, you're dead!
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    So rogues are supposed to kill people in PvP by picking locks, listening to dors, and disarming traps? Oh you control wizards better watch out, I'm gathering information! Once I'm done reading these scrolls, you're dead!

The point was that the original rogue wasn't a combat oriented class, it was later editions that gave it more combat focused abilities.
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Assassin would be a kool class to add..... Bring back "Death Attack" maybe......:)

Assassins were one of my favorite prestige classes which is part of the reason I am so quick to say trickster rogue aren't assassins. In fact in this implementation they are more like Shadowdancers which was another great 3 Ed class.

I have absolutely no control of which classes get implemented, though, otherwise we'd already have Dual Weapon Fighters, Dual Weapon Rangers and an Assassin Class. That's my core three. The rest could wait, haha. :p
    edited June 2013
    Assassins were one of my favorite prestige classes which is part of the reason I am so quick to say trickster rogue aren't assassins. In fact in this implementation they are more like Shadowdancers which was another great 3 Ed class.

I have absolutely no control of which classes get implemented, though, otherwise we'd already have Dual Weapon Fighters, Dual Weapon Rangers and an Assassin Class. That's my core three. The rest could wait, haha. :p

*smirks* oh thats dirty pool. I played an assassin in NWN2 and man was it fun. A deep gnome. Could take out Dwarven Defenders once i had epic dodge. They would fit in pretty easy with the current mechanics too. Dont think it would be a difficult class to bring in.
  • xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »

Man, you must be using Apple Maps to have missed the point that badly.