test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Foundry Features on Test Server

agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Hey folks. So as mentioned in the patch notes, the Foundry did get quite a few bug fixes in the big patch now available on the test server. I just logged in, and checked out the new items. Specifically, these two items:
  • Many Illusionary objects have been added to the Foundry.
  • More Behaviors have been added for NPCs, generally dealing in non-combat behavior.

The "Illusionary objects" refers to walls and rocks that have no collision path and characters can walk through. Basically it's used to create secret rooms and paths and whatnot. Here's the list:

8rC8t1u.jpg

The "More Behaviors" essentially add two additional behaviors available for NPCs to to some of the existing ones - "ignore all" and "non-combat."

"Ignore all" means the NPC ignores all monsters (hostile NPCs, aka "Encounters") and is likewise ignored by all monsters. For example, the "One way patrol, ignore all" behavior is described as "Great for ghosts."

"Non-combat" means the NPC will not be attacked by monsters (hostile NPCs, aka "Encounters") but will "cower" if fighting is going on nearby.

So essentially, both types will avoid them from being attacked (and potentially killed) by hostile NPCs.

Here's a shot of the different combinations:
Ih23AEL.png

Some fairly minor, but welcome, changes. :)
Post edited by agentjaspor on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It will be good to allow an NPC to not be killed. In my case I have an optional NPC at end-quest that may or may not be there (often not there as he gets killed a lot). In my case I like this "random chance" - now I'll have to decide if I want him to always be there, which will now be easier to do.

Nice.

My one (three year old) Foundry request is still elusive: allow Place Markers to be triggerable (appear/disappear). Which to this day is still not an option. :(
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Did they fix the sound?
  • Options
    vaelicvaelic Member Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Did they fix the sound?

yes they did
    MY FOUNDRY QUEST

Quest Title: Don't "Count" on it - Ch. 1
    Short Code: NW-DQ3H4MXKG
    Duration: 15-20 minutes

DAILY FOUNDRY ELIGIBLE? Yes!
  • Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I didn't actually try it yet on the test server, but considering it made it into the patch notes and they seem to realize it's important, I'm hopeful it actually was fixed. I'll try it later today.
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not the biggest update, but any update is appreciated.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh, very nice. Illusory objects will work very nicely for stuff where currently I have objects vanish, and the nod thing will be great for making sure dead bodies don't cower at enemies... Heh.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love the fact that we can now fight through a street with npc's and the mobs will not be distracted. Cool!!!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "Ignore all" means the NPC ignores all monsters (hostile NPCs, aka "Encounters") and is likewise ignored by all monsters. For example, the "One way patrol, ignore all" behavior is described as "Great for ghosts."

"Non-combat" means the NPC will not be attacked by monsters (hostile NPCs, aka "Encounters") but will "cower" if fighting is going on nearby.

So essentially, both types will avoid them from being attacked (and potentially killed) by hostile NPCs.

So glad for this. I can delete some invisible walls now.
  • Options
    chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    So glad for this. I can delete come invisible walls now.

I was thinking the same thing, it could be done before but just makes life a lot easier.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I was thinking the same thing, it could be done before but just makes life a lot easier.

Same with the Illusionary items, the "Viewable" options already made it so you could make an item an illusion. I figure a lot of the problems we have are the ones we've made workarounds for and so will be the ones they fix first. Not exactly a good thing as some things we CAN'T get around, however, non-combat NPCs is pretty great as it opens up so many options.
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am sure I am not the only one, but some of those features could be useful on the project I am currently working on. Not that I don't have plenty of work to keep me busy in the mean time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What's nice about illusory items, if I understand it right, is that the illusion will REappear when you walk away... which is cool. Currently, you can only make something 'reappear' if you devote a lot of objects to it, and it will always be finite.

What would be nice is some sort of flag or modifier that makes any existing object 'illusory,' but that might be asking for too much.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    NPC behaviors are great addition. I can delete a few unneeded invisible walls now. Illusionary objects are great as well. I can put proper invisible walls into my RP map. Oh, and illusionary debris piles and walls are also great tool for making ambushes. A very weak encounter can be much more entertaining if player can't see it until it attacks.
  • Options
    oggbroxoggbrox Member Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    When will this patch work for the normal servers, too?

I'm on my first Foundry-Quest. I want to release it with music. :)
    Quests I like to share:

A CURIOUS DISAPPEARANCE by Sphecida: NW-DDLEOFL2Q
    A CRY UNANSWERED by obsidianw0lf: NW-DGNBAX3RD
    SIEGEBREAKER by ash4all: NW-DGDPWV2U5
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    oggbrox wrote: »
    When will this patch work for the normal servers, too?

I'm on my first Foundry-Quest. I want to release it with music. :)

I don't think they've said officially, but there's a lot of speculation that this patch will go live when they officially "launch" the game (and end open beta) in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    oggbroxoggbrox Member Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't think they've said officially, but there's a lot of speculation that this patch will go live when they officially "launch" the game (and end open beta) in 2 weeks.

Uhh, Baby. I pray to the god of all MMOs that it will happen in 2 weeks.
    I ripped my *** off for the quest. It's already great, even without music. With music = rockin' the hell. :)
    Quests I like to share:

A CURIOUS DISAPPEARANCE by Sphecida: NW-DDLEOFL2Q
    A CRY UNANSWERED by obsidianw0lf: NW-DGNBAX3RD
    SIEGEBREAKER by ash4all: NW-DGDPWV2U5
  • Options
    drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It will be good to allow an NPC to not be killed.

Agreed. First thing I'd do is edit my quest so that the female rogue fights alongside the player, instead of having the player rescue her from the ground. Was never happy with that.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was wondering when they would let me make NPCs that are not afraid of their own minions.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

The official end of beta is June 20th.

These changes are currently on a test server. One and a half weeks for testing. Three to four days to finish implementing any changes needed from testing that had not gotten fixed already. Then launch the patch for NW official release. Seems logical this is what will happen.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey agentjaspor, can you take a look and see if they snuck any encounters or encounter models that were not mentioned in the notes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    nezroy123nezroy123 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    drakesigar wrote: »
    Agreed. First thing I'd do is edit my quest so that the female rogue fights alongside the player, instead of having the player rescue her from the ground. Was never happy with that.

Neither of the two new behaviors, as described, will allow you to do this.
    Quests: Fate of the Bonnie Kate (NW-DE6K6H63Q)
  • Options
    drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nezroy123 wrote: »
    Neither of the two new behaviors, as described, will allow you to do this.

I never implied they did, only that this is what I want to be able to do.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I only see one problem... ...all quests currently under construction will probably remain that way for two more weeks ^^;
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Looking good! Can't wait to play around with some of those illusions.

Thank you for posting this.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    So glad for this. I can delete some invisible walls now.

Will certainly make life easier in a number of situations, can't wait for these changes to make their way to live.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Hey agentjaspor, can you take a look and see if they snuck any encounters or encounter models that were not mentioned in the notes?

No new encounters or models that I noticed.

Music worked on two of my maps, though either it's a bit wonky still or I don't understand how sounds are supposed to work.

On my forest map, I have a "Background Sound Override" set in the Backdrop properties to play the "Forest ambiance, spooky" sound. Didn't hear that at all. And I don't have any actual sound objects placed on the map.

In the cave, there was music and it sounded great. But I'm not sure where it came from, lol. There's no "Background Sound Override" property in this map. I have a few Sound objects placed, but from what I could tell, none of those were actually supposed to be playing this music. And I didn't hear those sounds playing as I approached, but maybe that was because the music was too loud for them to be heard. And I have a sound object placed in the final "boss" chamber that's supposed to start up when that fight begins, and stop when the fight is over. Didn't hear it. It was the same music (which I couldn't find the source of) the entire time.

The final map (a small interior building) had a single sound object placed for some music (Tavern Ambiance 3). Heard that just fine through the entire map, so that seemed to work as expected.

Anyways, the music does add to the experience no doubt and glad to see it's working better now. But either it's still not quite right or I'm doing something wrong.
  • Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    What's nice about illusory items, if I understand it right, is that the illusion will REappear when you walk away... which is cool. Currently, you can only make something 'reappear' if you devote a lot of objects to it, and it will always be finite.

You can make very good illusionary walls now, which only disappear when you are close to them (or very far). See DM's Studio (NW-DHZ5DAV4R) for an example. But it will be nice to not have to fake it, yeah.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • Options
    sheyjinsheyjin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Did they make the House placables movable in 3D mode. I hate having to twitch back and forth just to move a house.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No new encounters or models that I noticed.

Music worked on two of my maps, though either it's a bit wonky still or I don't understand how sounds are supposed to work.

On my forest map, I have a "Background Sound Override" set in the Backdrop properties to play the "Forest ambiance, spooky" sound. Didn't hear that at all. And I don't have any actual sound objects placed on the map.

In the cave, there was music and it sounded great. But I'm not sure where it came from, lol. There's no "Background Sound Override" property in this map. I have a few Sound objects placed, but from what I could tell, none of those were actually supposed to be playing this music. And I didn't hear those sounds playing as I approached, but maybe that was because the music was too loud for them to be heard. And I have a sound object placed in the final "boss" chamber that's supposed to start up when that fight begins, and stop when the fight is over. Didn't hear it. It was the same music (which I couldn't find the source of) the entire time.

The final map (a small interior building) had a single sound object placed for some music (Tavern Ambiance 3). Heard that just fine through the entire map, so that seemed to work as expected.

Anyways, the music does add to the experience no doubt and glad to see it's working better now. But either it's still not quite right or I'm doing something wrong.

Nope, thats defintaly a bug I would report it, sounds like it's not working. No pun intended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Nope, thats defintaly a bug I would report it, sounds like it's not working. No pun intended.

Yeah, I posted it over on the Foundry "Preview" forum, but I'm going to mess around with it some more. Someone over there said the interior music is on the room level and not the overall map level, so I'll have to check that. Even if those are set, I would think that the placed sound objects would be able to be heard over the background music, and that doesn't seem to be the case.