What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

After quick testing on the test shard

2»

Comments

• uncannyluckuncannyluck Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    No decent cleric is dropping foresight or holy fervor for sooth. That much I can tell you.
    -15% AP gain or -11% DR for the whole party just so you can sratch a few adds? Nty. I'd rather have a CW spinning them on an endless arcane singularity.

You do realize that odds are you're NOT going to be giving your group foresight right? You only get that buff with active heals such as Healing Word, Sun Burst and whatnot. Astral Shield doesn't proc it.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If you're attentive you'll probably be sunbursting everyone on cooldown, coz they'll all be standing in the blue, surrounded by monsters. == lots of AP, DP and foresight proccing.
    edited June 2013
    And the foresight buff lasts for 3 seconds at most, IIRC, giving you ~5 seconds without it and meaning it has something like a 37% up time. This makes it have like... 4% effective DR?
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What about astral seal? That procs cleanse, so should presumably proc foresight. Stick that on a decent swathe of monsters and you're basically good to go.
  • madqhuemadqhue Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tested with a PUG and not a premade 'guild group' so running with who knows kind of players.

Group was DC, CW, GWF, GWF, TR

Result: Complete disaster

Aggro was noticeably less and yes I was running soothe, but I still ended up tanking more than half the mobs and getting beaten badly during the 5 second gap in AS coverage. Additionally the CW and the TR ended up tanking some mobs and so were taking much more damage than they would have on LIVE and getting crunched as a result.

Group wiped on trash in Pirates a few times before we even got to the first boss and broke up in anger with one of the GWFs raging "$%#% HEAL!" spamming that a few times and then rage quitting. This was more than a bit ironic as he was only taking damage after myself and the CW were already dead.

This change might work for static groups of people who are used to farming Castle Never, but I think it will be an abject disaster for the PUGs that make up the vast majority of the consumer base.
    edited June 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    What about astral seal? That procs cleanse, so should presumably proc foresight. Stick that on a decent swathe of monsters and you're basically good to go.

Ah right - yeah that does proc it and I forgot about it.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You do realize that odds are you're NOT going to be giving your group foresight right? You only get that buff with active heals such as Healing Word, Sun Burst and whatnot. Astral Shield doesn't proc it.

say what? every flashy green number generated by you procs it =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
    edited June 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    say what? every flashy green number generated by you procs it =/

I am 99% sure that is completely untrue - astral shield doesn't proc it at all. You can test that yourself if you don't believe me. Astral Seal does though, thank god.
  • thedeadstarthedeadstar Member Posts: 201
    edited June 2013
    Well, Astral Shield should proc cleanse and Foresight, if not now than after this patch (Reg of AS will be changed into a HoT).
    However, I'm wondering if cleanse will be of any use with 20s. Even currently I don't really feel like Cleanse is of any real use. Dots barely hurts, Stuns and knocks will happen anyway and it keeps a random proc.
    Shinis
    Tong Lv86
    Server: Jian [DE]
    edited June 2013
    Well, Astral Shield should proc cleanse and Foresight, if not now than after this patch (Reg of AS will be changed into a HoT).
    However, I'm wondering if cleanse will be of any use with 20s. Even currently I don't really feel like Cleanse is of any real use. Dots barely hurts, Stuns and knocks will happen anyway and it keeps a random proc.

It does not proc cleanse/foresight post patch either - I tested it last night but I can test it again later today.
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hashyjoe wrote: »
    Spike damage is fixed by potions. If someone is taking too much damage, and we have all our heals up, SOMEONE is doing something wrong. Potions are going to be the band-aid for the not-so-bright.

I hope you plan to only heal in guild teams... I can see the ranting of 'OMG you are the worst healer ever! I keep having to use potions!' and if it is at all possible to kick someone from a dungeons then they will. Or they will leave and everyone has to start over again... It's going to be a huge mess in PuGs...
  • elahndraelahndra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    That's when you use a Pot.

Trust me, Sentinel speced GWF on the adds, GF on the boss and the 3 other classes only need to worry about performing their roles. I know it wasn't a scientific test but with 3 1/2 hours of testing tonight with only 4 of us this patch just became amazing for group composition and Role defining gameplay.
    If this is true then I believe the patch did what it was supposed to. I don't really care that DC took a hit, as long as DC isn't taking a hit from everyone and their aunt in dungeons. Will probably balance out better than people expect. Not a moment too soon. Group stacking is and has always been kinda lame imo.
    edited June 2013
    shad99 wrote: »
    I hope you plan to only heal in guild teams... I can see the ranting of 'OMG you are the worst healer ever! I keep having to use potions!' and if it is at all possible to kick someone from a dungeons then they will. Or they will leave and everyone has to start over again... It's going to be a huge mess in PuGs...

You get that now but hey..if you want to kite circles around the room and not stand in AS or HG then Im not going to stress myself to keep you alive. Class awareness.
  • maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    That's when you use a Pot.

Trust me, Sentinel speced GWF on the adds, GF on the boss and the 3 other classes only need to worry about performing their roles. I know it wasn't a scientific test but with 3 1/2 hours of testing tonight with only 4 of us this patch just became amazing for group composition and Role defining gameplay.

ok now what if theres no GWF ?

look at the population mostly rogues, many of them dont even use smoke bombs
    edited June 2013
    elahndra wrote: »
    You get that now but hey..if you want to kite circles around the room and not stand in AS or HG then Im not going to stress myself to keep you alive. Class awareness.

Lol, the average person is an idiot. But even idiots could figure out 'stand in the blue healing circle' to some degree. But a 'fix' that makes everyone required means everyone has to be on their game. Everyone fails when anyone is an idiot... Now I refer you back to 'the average person is an idiot' and you'll see why this is an issue.

My own testing in a PuG was a horrible disaster. While I kept astral seal on just about everything, kept AS up with only a 4 second window, and tossed out other heals (I switched through all types of heals to try to find something that worked). Building divinity was a pain and I really wish we had more heals that did not need divinity to work. Or maybe even a feat somewhere that would allow building divinity on healing... Anyways... I can see the writing on the wall right now and I don't like it at all for my DC...

Oh and let me add pots are less than reliable... They have a fairly hefty cooldown themselves (15 sconds... 10 seconds...? It's forever in alot of fights) and I found that it was easy for a TR or CW to pull enough aggro to need to use a potion, then be unable to ditch the aggro and so they died before I could do anything to help.
  • maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can anyone test Divine Glow... and How many critters it hits
  • tarekvracktarekvrack Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    shad99 wrote: »
    Or maybe even a feat somewhere that would allow building divinity on healing....

There is a power "Divine Fortune" it will proc off AS, Healing Word, Break Spirit, and anything else that is non-damaging.
    edited June 2013
    tarekvrack wrote: »
    There is a power "Divine Fortune" it will proc off AS, Healing Word, Break Spirit, and anything else that is non-damaging.

this. With these changes i may swap this in now
    edited June 2013
    tarekvrack wrote: »

I don't need yet another power I have to find a space for. It's a good way of getting cookie cutter 'you must use this' builds... Besides that there are no respecs for me to even test the effectiveness on the preview server, so...
  • yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    madqhue wrote: »
    Tested with a PUG and not a premade 'guild group' so running with who knows kind of players.

Aggro was noticeably less and yes I was running soothe, but I still ended up tanking more than half the mobs and getting beaten badly during the 5 second gap in AS coverage. Additionally the CW and the TR ended up tanking some mobs and so were taking much more damage than they would have on LIVE and getting crunched as a result.

Group wiped on trash in Pirates a few times before we even got to the first boss and broke up in anger with one of the GWFs raging "$%#% HEAL!" spamming that a few times and then rage quitting. This was more than a bit ironic as he was only taking damage after myself and the CW were already dead.

This change might work for static groups of people who are used to farming Castle Never, but I think it will be an abject disaster for the PUGs that make up the vast majority of the consumer base.
    Thanks for this update and your previous post in the thread. You should also check out the other Astral Shield thread and post your thoughts there, if it suits you.

This is pretty much what I expected. I just posted in above mentioned thread saying that CN clearing groups defeating T2 instances on test server is meaningless. I am not remotely surprised to hear that groups who would normally find a dungeon moderately difficult will now find it very difficult to near impossible.
  • hyttehanshyttehans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013

im gonna steal this for another post (hope that is ok)
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's interesting. I am expecting the worst, and even various fixes only working in a half-assed manner- so nerfs overall, and more fail.. but I am prepared to be proven wrong.

I am copying my 11.5k-ish DC over to the test realm and will jump in some PUGs- that's the real acid test, as it's in PUGs where the tunnel vision applies. If people just ignore everything except one DPS target now, they won't be able to rely on the DC to keep them all alive and handle all the adds. It will be fun seeing how fast they learn, if at all.

It will be interesting to see what's up, that much is certain :)
  • warsirenwarsiren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yult wrote: »
    I was going to ask for your suggestions on how we are supposed to replace AS... and this is it? Really?

It's great that you want us to "test" until we find something that works, but unfortunately our list of healing abilities is quite short and there is no magic solution to find. AS was used for a reason, and nothing is going to come close to replacing it.

You'll have to do a whole lot better than a 5% single target attack debuff.

technically it's more than just 5% it's Over all Damage and 5% off of their Crit Chance, which I'm not sure if anyone's calculated NPC/Boss Crit chance yet but usually in most games it's in the ball park of 5-6% so if we can negate a boss mobs Crit chance or nerf it to 1% that's pretty huge, especially once aggro is proper. Again I don't know the exact crit chance Bosses have on this game, but if it is in line with other games, the second half of that feat alone can make it a game changer for our tanks.

It's not a magic solution, but I think once threat is normalized and fixed, the burst damage going to everyone every where will be down considerably, plus you have do have to figure a lot of the Huge spike damage right now outside of people not moving out of red is coming from the sheer amount of mobs granting combat advantage. Once tanks can control mobs attention better, theoretically over all party wide damage should go down (as positioning will become more important and used.), making that 5% a lot more useful than it sounds. Mind you all still theory craft at this moment, and a lot of it hinges on other classes getting fixed as well.

AS I think isn't going to be as big of deal in the long run as people think.
    Thori-Siggy-2_zps2ccf70bd.png
  • warsirenwarsiren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I think the real question that no one is asking is, what build were you running? Were you trying to use your old build and playstyle, or were you experimenting with a new one? If the answer is yes you were running your old build playing with the old playstyle all you confirmed is, yes the AS spamming builds and playstyle is done. Other variables are, what builds were your teammates running was either of your GWFs a sentinel or were they both damage set up ones?

Really this example isn't as solid as some of you are making it out to be. There's a lot of questions and variables no one is asking.

I'm not trying to discredit your experience by any means, but I really feel a lot of facts are missing from your post, and of course the people crying the sky is falling are going to take it and run without collecting further data from you.

I'm just saying we need to know everything that happened before we can confirm this is a we're screwed scenario. Game testing is just science it's a series of experiments and fact collecting however to post you failed an experiment without all the facts leaves little room for others to take your notes see what could be done differently and try to recreate the experiment with different variables to make it successful.
    Thori-Siggy-2_zps2ccf70bd.png
  • kevlintallfellowkevlintallfellow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If clerics were meant to keep Astral Shield down all the time, it wouldn't be an encounter ability with a cooldown, it would just be an innate aura they emit all the time.

Since it *is* an encounter, *with* a cooldown, it's obviously intended to be used strategically, when it's truly necessary. Not frivolously, so you don't get caught with a cooldown while the big bad boss makes it rain.
  • madqhuemadqhue Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No you are describing a Daily power. Encounter powers are meant to be used very frequently... notice how all of our heals are Encounter powers, or are you intending that Astral Seal be the primary bread-n-butter mechanism for healing in this game?

On LIVE I normally run Astral Shield and then use Divine Glow and either Sunburst or Daunting Light with Astral Seal and Sacred Flame At-wills

For the test I described above I was using Astral Shield, Forgemasters Flame, and Sunburst initially and then swapped in Healing Word or Bastion of Health for Sunburst as I tried to adjust. Talents loaded were Soothe, Foresight and Healer's Lore and I was swapping those around as well to adjust. I was offsetting the Forgemasters casts to try and fill the gap in AS coverage and/or throwing Healing Word around liberally to keep it on myself more than anything.

The build was meant for essentially pure healing / defense / buffing.

I am not disputing that the changes will work for well organized groups of skilled players, but the game is not built for well-organized groups of skilled players. It is built for mass market consumers with a free-to-play revenue mechanic that is contingent on keeping the consumer fat, dumb, and happy so they will buy keys and cute outfits to walk around town in.

The baseline needs to be PUGs are successful and then well-organized folk can focus on extreme efficiency or being able to complete bonus content.

Many of the changes implemented were intended to stop the DC stacking which creates a cleric shortage as well as shutting out members of other classes, yet the most viable strategy for PUGs with the changes is actually running two DCs again so that you can guarantee AS 100% uptime and the DCs can once again heal each other without the Righteousness debuff.
  • swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Since it *is* an encounter, *with* a cooldown, it's obviously intended to be used strategically, when it's truly necessary. Not frivolously, so you don't get caught with a cooldown while the big bad boss makes it rain.

Then the dungeons need to be (re)designed with that in mind. As it stands currently, this change pushes Clerics like myself who want to run 1 DC only into running 2 DC for numerous encounters.
  • daervondaervon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only potentially viable options for the downtime to D-AS, the way I see it, are the following:

1) Moontouched Hallowed Ground or
    2) Bastion of Healing, with the Warding Shield feat (which means you won't have points to take Moontouched too).

Hallowed Ground provides better damage resistance and better healing, as well as a bigger area of effect, and allows you to pick up whatever complement of Encounter powers you wish (well, Sunburst, Astral Shield and whatever else works for your third slot I suppose). On the downside, it'll mean that you have to be able to recast HG every 20 seconds, which can be a challenge in a lot of situations and will probably force you to spec into Holy Fervor and Healing Action.

On the other hand, Bastion of Health, when you've taken the Warding Shield feat, will give a small heal and 10% damage resistance for 6 seconds, which is pretty much the downtime of AS that you'll need to cover. Will that be enough to keep a party alive until AS can go down again? I suppose it depends on what other classes provide too, as far as damage resistance goes, and will vary from encounter to encounter...

Definitely not an ideal solution, and it'll force, even more, a one-way playstyle for most people, removing any element of choice when speccing your character at 60...

Not even going to start about how it'll affect PvP. :P
  • lampozzlampozz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hi guy i dont understand why AS was nerfed, i roll my cleric im now lvl47 and follwing Mewbrey build http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?188622-My-Cleric-Build, except i change Markof mendig for benefit of foresight. (shooth at moment is bugged and dont work good for me).

i have done all dungeon @ lvl 1-47 and i think healing spell for cleric is too low healing and too cooldown and shoot in bugged and many skill of cleric dont work very well, at Boos all adds spiked\damage me all the time, i want understand how to build my cleric after this change, i know im not pro Cleric but i dont total nub :D

i dont cry for change i like this game and acept all developer change in the game for one good future nice game experinece.

regards
  • thedeadstarthedeadstar Member Posts: 201
    edited June 2013
    daervon wrote: »
    The only potentially viable options for the downtime to D-AS, the way I see it, are the following:

1) Moontouched Hallowed Ground or
    2) Bastion of Healing, with the Warding Shield feat (which means you won't have points to take Moontouched too).

3) Forgemaster's Flame @Divine
    Our 2nd strongest encounter heal after AS because its an AoE HoT. Currently ticks for 1.5k-1.7k at me with Righteousness (it effects that right?), so its a 2.5k-2,8k HoT ticking 5 times (13k-14k heal @11s-12s CD). Bastion of Health heals 2k in divine Cant imagine that 10% DR is better than 10k more heal (while having a higher CD than AS).

So I'd stick to hallowed ground, AS, FF and Sunburst for AP/Divine generation like I do now, probably not even going to respec anything. Less aggro should be enough to not die within those 4-5 seconds if your team cares at least a bit about the adds. Well ok, have to respec for 2 things: invigorated healing -5 and +5 to linked spirit (no idea how I could miss that..) and -3 cleanse +3 Bountiful fortune to be able to stick to my old AP generation after Ethereal Boon nerf/fix.
    Cleanse just becomes useless imo. Removing "recently died" was the only important part about this, all other debuffs in this game PvE wise are just.. weak.
    Shinis
    Tong Lv86
    Server: Jian [DE]