test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can anyone explain this...

thatpsychogamerthatpsychogamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I used retrain token today to test out a slightly different build and came across something odd. For whatever reason, I have a difference in base stats such as Constitution, Dexterity and Intelligence. I never invested in those before or after I used the token and I'm actually kind of glad I got a screenshot or I wouldn't have noticed. But if you look, the difference between the first and the last is by 6 points. I've tried looking at other peoples scores but there are a wide variety of differences when adding up their total points. I kinda gave up on that since I guess that is just how it is (not a d&d player so don't know how it really works).

I've also noticed, in older screenshots for various builds, there were 23 heroic points and I honestly can't remember what it was before I respec'd. However what my screen is showing now is that I have 20. Maybe they changed this? I haven't leveled another character high enough yet to see if they have 23 or 20. So I am curious if others have 23 or ... 20. And can anyone explain the base stats? Is there a magical thing happening that I don't know about or is this a possible bug?

In case the other images are small...

Before
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7530/charactersheeta.png

After
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6853/charactersheetnewa.png
Post edited by thatpsychogamer on

Comments

• selethorselethor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Looks like an elusive case of a missing fireplace buff!
  • thatpsychogamerthatpsychogamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oddly I have the fireplace buff on both, wish I had the full image of that instead of the cropped down one. Does that really affect that anyhow?
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not much we could say unless you show us the ability score history.

I do know that every time I make a character the ingame stats start off 1 point higher than whatever is listed. For example if I pic a 16/16/12 build for my character... by the time I get to Knox (past the tutorial) those stats are 17/17/13.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
    edited June 2013
    Is there a possibility that you used Elixir of Fate? It acts as another fireplace buff. Other then that I've got nothing.
    I'm pretty sure that I've had 20 points to spend on attributes, 2 points on levels 10, 20, 40 and 50, and 6 points on levels 30 and 60.
  • thatpsychogamerthatpsychogamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know what the Elixir of Fate is so I would say no. I'm also not gonna respec again just to see what the original rolls were. All I know is that it's off by 6. I sent in a ticket but that could be days, if not longer, before I see a response.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know what the Elixir of Fate is so I would say no. I'm also not gonna respec again just to see what the original rolls were. All I know is that it's off by 6. I sent in a ticket but that could be days, if not longer, before I see a response.

Don't respec, just view your ability score history. It will show where you put all your points. Subtract those from your totals to see where you started.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
    edited June 2013
    I can look at my history all I want but the fact that everything is off by 1 (a total of 6) on the new sheet vs the old makes me wonder why all of the stats are off. 20 points is allotted no matter what so if you took that off then my base stats are different on both sheets.

The heroic points were for the paragon tree section. I'm just curious if you all have 23 or 20.
  • ixotlixotl Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Interesting indeed! I also see your GS and total health are higher in the 'after' shot than in the 'before' shot.

I can only surmise this represents tweaking of the character ability score creation from the client/server code version you used when the character was first created (when initial stats were rolled) and the version when you did the respec. Only DEVELOPMENT (hint hint :rolleyes:) can answer for sure.

D&D 4e describes 3 methods to arrive at your initial ability scores:a fixed set of 6 numbers to distribute among the 6 abilities'; a different fixed set but with 'points' to spend to increase individual abilities; rolling each ability score independently. Neverwinter appears to be using a modified version of the first fixed set technique. (I vaguely recall seeing something about this somewhere, but can't place it now.)

My two recent characters have only 20 Heroic points each so, unless a DC is different, I'd say this was also changed from the closed beta timeframe (which I suspect is when the other screenshots were taken/comments made that you've seen) to the open beta code.
  • teemoorteemoor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Before:
    STR 19, CHA 19, WIS 25 (fireplace buff) 23 total

After:
    STR 17, CHA 19, WIS 24 (no fireplace buff) 20 total
    STR 18, CHA 20, WIS 25 (fireplace buff) 23 total
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I used retrain token today to test out a slightly different build and came across something odd. For whatever reason, I have a difference in base stats such as Constitution, Dexterity and Intelligence. I never invested in those before or after I used the token and I'm actually kind of glad I got a screenshot or I wouldn't have noticed. But if you look, the difference between the first and the last is by 6 points. I've tried looking at other peoples scores but there are a wide variety of differences when adding up their total points. I kinda gave up on that since I guess that is just how it is (not a d&d player so don't know how it really works).

I've also noticed, in older screenshots for various builds, there were 23 heroic points and I honestly can't remember what it was before I respec'd. However what my screen is showing now is that I have 20. Maybe they changed this? I haven't leveled another character high enough yet to see if they have 23 or 20. So I am curious if others have 23 or ... 20. And can anyone explain the base stats? Is there a magical thing happening that I don't know about or is this a possible bug?

In case the other images are small...

Before
    http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7530/charactersheeta.png

After
    http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6853/charactersheetnewa.png

First point is likely that you are missing your fireplace buff (+1 to all attributes)
    Second, Humans get 23 heroic feats, all other classes get 20
    edited June 2013
    Oddly I have the fireplace buff on both, wish I had the full image of that instead of the cropped down one. Does that really affect that anyhow?

Yes it does. If you have the fireplace buff, you gain +1 to all attributes and it is visible on that screen.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Isn't there also a buff to certain stats that CWs give to party members? That might be the reason.