test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What nonexistent Foundry options would YOU pay for?

2»

Comments

• Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This reminds me of a thread elsewhere where a guy who makes handcrafted furniture was attacked because his stuff was too expensive.

The complainer said 'but the materials don't cost nearly that much!'

Right. Here's a pile of wood, screws, and some tools. I'm providing all of that, anything you do after doesn't require any real effort, right?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Ovaltine obviously goes out to the woods and looks for the perfect branch to whittle with his thumb nail when he needs a new paint brush.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zlainfurry wrote: »
    Ovaltine obviously goes out to the woods and looks for the perfect branch to whittle with his thumb nail when he needs a new paint brush.

I wonder if he makes his own TP to wipe his bum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great... I watch the thread degenerate into this...

I've seen people posting features they'd like to see in the Foundry so I figured... what if there were features that Cryptic offered up for sale? Like space for personal music/voice/sounds that you could purchase slots for? Everything we do takes up resources which is why we're offered limited slots for them.

Now we know we may NEVER have to pay for them. But if we want such features enough that we'd pay for them, maybe Cryptic would work on getting those editors to us. Who knows? Maybe the devs are looking at this thread to find out what we want most in the Foundry and prioritize which abilities they would work on for us.

We can all dream, right? :)

Back on topic, something I'd WOULD pay for... terrain editing tools. Because sometimes the premade outdoor maps just won't cut it and it'd be interesting to see what sorts of environments are in the creators minds. :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    ricktus1973ricktus1973 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't see why they can't have a limit hard coded into the foundry that allows you to put x amount of resources into your map. Like maybe a total of three for a large map and a total of two for medium and 1 for small. Make them randomize so it's not always the same one and make them only work twice per account in foundry missions. That or something similar. Don't know all the mechanics, but it seems like something could be done that way.
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zlainfurry wrote: »

That is not only false, it is a false comparison. 2 immaturity points for you. And as an added bonus, you gained a new friend who likes toilet humor. Congrats!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My name is Cornholio. I need TP for my bunghole. Boing-oing-oing-oing-oing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is only one thing the foundry needs.

The ability to import custom models made using 3rd party content creation tools, like maya or blender.

Custom Object slots, 120 zen each.

I would pay for that.

/dropsmike
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Member Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Flight in 3D editing

Custom NPC model saving/loading

Custom Music

Working Respec system
    In the meantime, THOMAS WAS EVERYWHERE.

CoGQIYG.png
    Those bios are outdated. Have some steam guides:
    *CYBERMIND!*
    *FIRE AND NOT FIRE*
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    There is only one thing the foundry needs.

The ability to import custom models made using 3rd party content creation tools, like maya or blender.

Custom Object slots, 120 zen each.

I would pay for that.

/dropsmike

You mean for 120 zen I can bring Barny to Neverwinter?
    trexcloseup.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ovaltine74 wrote: »
    You mean for 120 zen I can bring Barny to Neverwinter?
    trexcloseup.jpg

Just to be mean I made my friend's drow character fight a purple dragon named Barney in one of my campaigns. The dragon used his psychic powers to manipulate drow children, whom he would make say I love you repeatedly and sing songs about the sun which is ironic considering sunlight kills purple dragons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You are not making content. You are assembling assets that were created by someone else. Essentially you are just playing a game. You can argue with that if you want, but you'd be wrong.
    No offense.. but that is a really stupid argument. It's like saying that a musicians song isn't really art because they didn't invent the notes.. or that a painters masterpiece isn't really art because they didn't invent the paint.
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What do you think a tool is? Do you think because you can manipulate an object through translation and rotation, make it appear and disappear that you are using a tool? There are no tools in the foundry. You can't change the object's data properties, its size, color, how much it absorbs and reflects light. You can't alter the materials the object has. Make it shiny or dull, bumpy or smooth. Can you scan in a texture into your computer, map it to the surface of an object, and bake it on? No. What tools are you talking about?
    I am not implying anything. Criptic created the tools and the content. Art assets are content. A user interface for manipulating designed art assets is not a tool, it is simply hiding the tools so you can't break stuff. I was simply reacting to those who posted before me that had the nerve to say things like they are doing cryptic a huge favor and should even be paid for the foundry work they are doing. That is a ridiculous notion. Let's be honest. 99% of the work is done before you even open the foundry. What if you had to hand draw and sculpted, skin, create an armature. render animations. bake textures, create every building to scale. every bush, blade of grass, write all the music, record the sound effects, programing. In the grand scheme, foundry authors have done almost nothing. We are just doing the fun part. No way one should be paid for what we are doing. I hate it when people give themselves too much credit. Especially in the manner in which they were doing it. They literally have no clue how many hours worth of work went into creating the foundry.

It really irks me to hear them say that they would pay nothing because they are generating profits for cryptic for free. Look man, as an artist, a professional artist, I don't do free work. what I am doing here is not art. I am using someone else's creation for my own entertainment. I am fantasizing that I can create a piece of a video game that hundreds of people around the world can play, do it in hours, and be praised for it like I actually did something. It is a fantasy though. I have no delusions that I have actually done anything that is worth a paycheck.

Wow... you truly are an idiot. I'm sure you are well intended.. but an idiot all the same. I, my friend am a professional artist.... a PROFESSIONAL musician. I did not design or build the instruments I play.. my tools. I mostly perform music someone else wrote. In venues I do not own. YET I GET PAID. If you don't think I'm a professional.... then don't come to my show. The same is true here in this game, in many respects. Although we did not design the tools (and yes, the foundry IS a collection of tools used to organize assets), but we do arrange the assets in a coherent and enjoyable way. If our work is not any good... it will become quickly apparent. If the work IS good... that also will become apparent. Are we doing the work for cryptic? Of course we are... duh.

PS..I think you should pull out a dictionary and look up the word 'tool' as well. I don't think you understand the word. Enough said.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    It's really sad to watch this topic dissolving into personal attacks. Here I thought that Foundry part of NW forum is less toxic than the rest.
    Silly me.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Wow... you truly are an idiot. I'm sure you are well intended.. but an idiot all the same. I, my friend am a professional artist.... a PROFESSIONAL musician. I did not design or build the instruments I play.. my tools. I mostly perform music someone else wrote. In venues I do not own. YET I GET PAID. If you don't think I'm a professional.... then don't come to my show. The same is true here in this game, in many respects. Although we did not design the tools (and yes, the foundry IS a collection of tools used to organize assets), but we do arrange the assets in a coherent and enjoyable way. If our work is not any good... it will become quickly apparent. If the work IS good... that also will become apparent. Are we doing the work for cryptic? Of course we are... duh.

PS..I think you should pull out a dictionary and look up the word 'tool' as well. I don't think you understand the word. Enough said.

Well I am not going to begin by calling you an idiot. I generally don't resort to calling people names to make my points. But let me explain my point in a way you as a musician can understand as it relates to my previous statements.

You are a musician, you know how to read music, you spent years learning to play your instrument. You can play your instrument well. I on the other hand am not a musician, cannot read music, and do not own a musical instrument. However, if you listen to the music playing in the background of the video preview to my quest, that was arranged by me. I used a program that has many thousands of prerecorded sound loops of instruments that you can mix and chain together to create something that sounds like original music. May I now claim that I have the same level of skill as you in the music field with vile pretentiousness and indignation toward anyone who claims otherwise? Could I expect anyone to pay me for that sort of effort? Sure I could, but I would be so wrong.

That example is the same thing as someone who uses the foundry to create a quest and then spouts off that they should be paid for their hard work. It is the same thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5

Video Preview
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You are a musician, you know how to read music, you spent years learning to play your instrument. You can play your instrument well. I on the other hand am not a musician, cannot read music, and do not own a musical instrument. However, if you listen to the music playing in the background of the video preview to my quest, that was arranged by me. I used a program that has many thousands of prerecorded sound loops of instruments that you can mix and chain together to create something that sounds like original music. May I now claim that I have the same level of skill as you in the music field with vile pretentiousness and indignation toward anyone who claims otherwise? Could I expect anyone to pay me for that sort of effort? Sure I could, but I would be so wrong.

Skill is different then talent. Many self taught people with no formal background in music make money from songs they wrote using programs on their computers at home, because they are talented.

On the other hand there are a lot of skilled audio engineers with degrees in music who will never do anything more then edit sound levels on TV commercials because they have no talent whatsoever.

If you are creating something unique it does not matter what tools you use.

This track was recorded in a tool shed on a laptop by two people with no formal training whatsoever. It has been on TV shows on FOX, which means they got payed for it.... thus making them professional musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWz00tNb2IU&list=PL966135FB87DDDDFD
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It could be special effects, but Electric President appear to be playing instruments.
    xhrit wrote: »
    If you are creating something unique it does not matter what tools you use.

It depends on your definition of what a tool is. If you consider (Human building #34) a tool, than you certainly are correct. By that same logic I can create a masterpiece of fine art by using only one tool.

(The Mona Lisa #1)

Walla, a masterpiece of art using simple tools. Pay me 700 million dollars please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5

Video Preview
  • Options
    rdxcyclordxcyclo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

That example is the same thing as someone who uses the foundry to create a quest and then spouts off that they should be paid for their hard work. It is the same thing.

DJ Shadow. 'Nuff said. But it would be nice to be able to upload ones own music/voice recordings - though I'm not sure how many "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR" zombie slaughter quests I could take...

Speaking of mona lisa http://www.oilpaintingfactory.com/oil-paintings/Monalisa/Sexy-Mona-Lisa.jpg :D
    Making my name with Foundry - @rdxcyclo

First installment of Gavin the "Lucky" series is live

Episodes:
    Gavin the "Lucky": Prologue - NW-DEZSTNUT7