test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Deleting characters

eag1e67eag1e67 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I tried to delete one of my toons but for some reason it won't let me. Also, why can't i obtain more toon slots atm?
Post edited by eag1e67 on

Comments

• Options
    nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When you delete, it asks you to type their name, (capitalization doesn't matter, but any punctuation will). If it's not allowing you to delete the character, submit a bug report.

As for purchasing more character slots, you won't do that from the login screen, you'll actually do that from a character logged in, access the Zen store, Services and purchase the slots. (Not sure why the login screen one isn't active yet...)
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nullwolf1 wrote: »
    When you delete, it asks you to type their name,

It pre-fills the name, but that's a lie - that's what gets most people. You have to type it again.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    You must type the character name.

It looks like it pretypes it for you which threw me and others off at first as well but if you type the character name it should let you delte it without any issue.
    If not, huzzah for Bug Reports. ;)
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I found that a rather elegant way of avoiding acidental deletions.
    (i feel they cant be bothered with "oops i deleted my own toon" reports atm :o)
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    It pre-fills the name, but that's a lie - that's what gets most people. You have to type it again.

I must just be used to that from CO / STO to not really notice it...
  • Options
    eag1e67eag1e67 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ya all right, however

this is how it works from what i seen.

You click on toon

you click on option to delete

Name is automatically inputted

BUT, the ok button is grayed out

Guess it's definately a bug. Thanks all for info, will submit a ticket
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    eag1e67 wrote: »
    ya all right, however

You click on toon

You need to type the name in even though it seems to be automatically inputted.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why post on a forum if you're not going to read the replies?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ya all right, however

You click on toon

You probably did not read what one of the previous posters wrote... you have to retype the name yourself...
  • Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ya all right, however

You click on toon

Why the hell would it ask you to type your name if it was already typed out for you? Take 5 seconds to think about it.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    itheryel wrote: »

True. But you know what would be a nice backup/insurance feature? If any diamonds on a deleted character went into your exhange pool.

...why, no. I didn't delete a character with, say, 20k diamonds on it. Why do you ask? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    True. But you know what would be a nice backup/insurance feature? If any diamonds on a deleted character went into your exhange pool.

...why, no. I didn't delete a character with, say, 20k diamonds on it. Why do you ask? :rolleyes:

100K Dilithium <.<

Luckily I hadn't spent any Zen on it.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    itheryel wrote: »
    (i feel they cant be bothered with "oops i deleted my own toon" reports atm :o)

You know in all my years of gaming I've never 'accidently' hit the deletion button, I have regret about deleting however. But at the time I meant to delete it.

But having to type out a name is minor, it's the games that when you click to sell or do something, it asks you if you are sure 2 or more times that really irritates me.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why the hell would it ask you to type your name if it was already typed out for you? Take 5 seconds to think about it.

The system is design to prevent accidental deletion by simply click "delete, ok" This way you have to type the name EXACTLY it is display in Gray letters and then press ok/delete. This way, if you submit a report saying "I accidentally deleted by character" it is highly unlikely since it require you to actually TYPE the name out (unless you have a 3 character name)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello,

As someone said, just retype the name that it auto-fills for you.

Why? You might ask, I think it is because there are some people who always use similar names in MMO's for their alts ( Less To Think About )

The client is just trying to make it easier for you showing you before hand as a re-assurance that is the Toon (Alt ) your wanting to delete.

Who!!!! Time to breath........ Just retype it already....Geesh......

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • Options
    melanko0melanko0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ya all right, however

You click on toon

Derp a little more?
  • Options
    jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ya all right, however

You click on toon

Wrong! Working as intended. That's pretty sad you couldn't figure out how to delete a character.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    galahad01 wrote: »
    Hello,

As someone said, just retype the name that it auto-fills for you.

Why? You might ask, I think it is because there are some people who always use similar names in MMO's for their alts ( Less To Think About )

The client is just trying to make it easier for you showing you before hand as a re-assurance that is the Toon (Alt ) your wanting to delete.

Who!!!! Time to breath........ Just retype it already....Geesh......

:)

Before the name type confirmation (before in other MMO it was just click ok and ok) I HAVE delete a high level character before by accident (in DDO) because I wasn't reading the name and just thought I click the right one.

this system is much better so accidental herp derp deletion doesn't happen.
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013

The name you see typed out for you in an answer key. It is letting you know what to type out in order to be able to delete the character.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Um, if the number of 'accidental herp derps' was so high for you, I have news for you... but I better not say it out loud ;)

heh. nah. it took only 1 delete to learn my lesson. I am always careful on deleting characters (rarely I delete them)
  • Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    The name you see typed out for you in an answer key. It is letting you know what to type out in order to be able to delete the character.

And another genius fails at basic reading comprehension.