test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Conclussion: The Phoera is useless! (aka phoera phailure)

killerellakillerella Member Posts: 215 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
After leveling this thing to max@30, I've played it in a lot of scenarios. End result, its terrible at everything. Its extremely underpowered, and it dies quickly. I've even tried dressing it up in all purple, thinking it would wake up the beast or something, but honestly the difference was negligible.

In all fairness, I didn't realize how useless it was until I started playing a bunch of other companions just to get a taste of what else was available. I thought, well, if this purple companion is this bad, I cant imagine how bad a white, green or blue companion must be...boy was I wrong! Even the White level companions are more useful at something than the poor purple Phoera, which just seems to have no purpose.

A low level wayward wizard was having nice standoff battles with casting mobs, which was great because it freed me up to do a little melee business. The Cleric was saving me a ton of money on potions as long as I could keep her alive. Its not even worth the effort of keeping the Phoera alive though...just so I can watch it die again?

Pitted against mobs, the high level "very rare" purple Phoera companion can barely hold its own against the weakest mobs available...add a 2nd weak mob, and he quickly becomes toast. Compare that to the blue level Wererat, and well there is no comparison...even a low level wererat was handily taking on a boss and 3 minions and doing a pretty good job of holding his own. That low level wererat is hitting 3X as hard as my top level super rare phoera, and seems to be 3X as tough too. I've read that the Galeb Dhur and the Honey Badger actually take companions to a whole other level, but I couldn't afford to take one for a test drive.

This all brings me to question of, what is the point of even having a Phoera? Aside from looking pretty cool, its pretty worthless, and seems to be more of a liability than an asset. Now that I've tried other companions, I feel like I wasted 44 player levels just training this crazy thing. Did someone maybe just forget to activate his attack powers so get more powerful as he grows? Is it possible to maybe "patch him up" later so he's truly representative of his purple brethren companions? Right now I give him the 2 thumbs down, and I wouldn't recommend him to anyone, especially when there are free companions that do a much better job at "something".

Feel free to share your stories of Phoera triumph, well, if any exist.
Post edited by killerella on

Comments

• Options
    grokcgrokc Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    Flaming chicken mob distraction..for a little bit anyway, lol!
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its not the worst companion out there. Free companions at endgame die after a few seconds because they are level 15 and everything else is 60. Worst companion I have is the Jagged Dancing Blade. For a companion that is supposed to be a weapon and therefore suicidal, it is a wuss. If I lead a mob up to it, it will start attacking, but likes to stay out of combat.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    grokc wrote: »

You solved it, It does have a purpose. I just forgot to take the BBQ sauce with me :D
  • Options
    kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    All pets beside the stone and the cat are plain broken.
    no life, No dps, No KI.
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I supose if u would be a cleric, and taking ALL the aggro, he would be an asset because of his AOE oriented damage no?...
    Not sure do havent tested him myself but it just sounds like hes a sort of off-mage, not capable of tanking mobs directly but inflicing good dps if he doesnt get's focused?...
    maybe test him with ure cleric?...
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kashimaa1 wrote: »
    All pets beside the stone and the cat are plain broken.
    no life, No dps, No KI.

This ^^^
    /10 char
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't mind if my Phoera got buffed. It's not the best pet out there, but I like it. It deals a decent amount of AOE damage, and it's true that it'll die if it aggros too many mobs at once, but i'm fine with that because it leaves me a few seconds for my CW to launch a Chill Strike and AOE DOT before they run at me and start taking me down.

But if Cryptic buffed it, I'd be even happier!
  • Options
    dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    People are missing the purpose of a companion, it supposes to help you lvling period. By late 50, no matter the companion, they are near useless. Would you really like a companion to clear end game for you ?

If you want a companion into dungeons, you get an augment companion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    People are missing the purpose of a companion, it supposes to help you lvling period. By late 50, no matter the companion, they are near useless. Would you really like a companion to clear end game for you ?

If you want a companion into dungeons, you get an augment companion.

Make GWF a companion and everybody wil want one in there dungeon?
    /jk :)
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    arlacharlach Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    <-- lv 60 cleric with lv 30 phoera (enchanted with lv 5 stones, and holding purple items).
    Bird hits for 1/5 to 1/10 of damage of my weakest aoe, accounting for crit and damage variation.
    Bird aoe cd is 15 seconds.
    Useless pet once you hit high levels.

Earlier today I just say my phoera being surrounded by 4 rotters (zombie things) and die :D

The one thing it does decently is that it draws aggro pretty decently with a group of mobs, as long as I don't hit them. Although, that's admittedly not much benefit since it dies in a few hits anyway...
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    grokc wrote: »

And that's exactly what companions are, mob distractions with a few gimmicks. Some of these gimmicks are useful, others are not and it depends on your class and playstyle.

The phoera's gimmick is that it has AoE damage, which helps in attracting the first few thrashmobs while my TR takes the mobs individually or deals with a stronger target first.

But I think the strongest companion by far is the man-at-arms. If that guy ever got buffed to purple he'd make a very decent tool to keep trash mobs busy with his AoE taunt.
  • Options
    jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My galeb rank 30 can tank a boss whit my AS -.- maybe your pet are failed only. My galeb do is job of tank :D and i love it *,*
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Phocus on what is important. He makes a cute peep and does an aerial.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited June 2013
    itheryel wrote: »
    Make GWF a companion and everybody wil want one in there dungeon?
    /jk :)

Perhaps it is merely coincidental, but the sellsword(GWF) is probably the worst companion in the game. Imagine a Phirechicken, only with even less damage and survivability, and nothing to do outside of melee range!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps it is merely coincidental, but the sellsword(GWF) is probably the worst companion in the game. Imagine a Phirechicken, only with even less damage and survivability, and nothing to do outside of melee range!

I call that balance.
    (sorry couldent resist :D)
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    blaumker wrote: »

There should be no "probably" in that statement. She can't heal, buff, control or tank and the damage she deals is beyond pathetic.
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    At any given time there are 30 pheoras floating around Protectors Enclave where people have logged out or queued up. Along with all of the other companions standing around, especially at the gates. No wonder people lag out, they need to fix that ASAP.

And ya, I'm dissapointed in mine too, I got a second one and gave it away. You can't even sell those things.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's because Phoera is considered a lvl 30 mob and is doing half the base dmg it should be against high level mobs.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    jacksoon wrote: »
    My galeb rank 30 can tank a boss whit my AS -.- maybe your pet are failed only. My galeb do is job of tank :D and i love it *,*

Only cost $30 bucks :) The phoera goes for 100K AD. Yes my lvl 30 phoera is a piece of worthless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. But it looks cool I guess.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    At any given time there are 30 pheoras floating around Protectors Enclave where people have logged out or queued up. Along with all of the other companions standing around, especially at the gates. No wonder people lag out, they need to fix that ASAP.

And ya, I'm dissapointed in mine too, I got a second one and gave it away. You can't even sell those things.

Yeah I can't understand how a junior level programmer (even an intern) wouldn't have immediately thought it was a good idea to have companions despawn from zones their masters aren't in the moment they started coding anything to do with companions. Makes you wonder what other memory/cpu resources are being wasted by needlessly processing things that should have been killed.

Even thinking about it from an aesthetics perspective instead of a resource one it should have been an obvious thing.

I love this game, but sometimes I'm just completely mind boggled at how some things are.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    daschla wrote: »
    Phocus on what is important. He makes a cute peep and does an aerial.

The only thing I do like :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    That's because Phoera is considered a lvl 30 mob and is doing half the base dmg it should be against high level mobs.

Yeah, for a lvl 30 "striker" companion , it should at least hit a lot harder, even if it still dies quickly.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    arlach wrote: »
    <-- lv 60 cleric with lv 30 phoera (enchanted with lv 5 stones, and holding purple items).
    Bird hits for 1/5 to 1/10 of damage of my weakest aoe, accounting for crit and damage variation.
    Bird aoe cd is 15 seconds.
    Useless pet once you hit high levels.

Earlier today I just say my phoera being surrounded by 4 rotters (zombie things) and die :D

The one thing it does decently is that it draws aggro pretty decently with a group of mobs, as long as I don't hit them. Although, that's admittedly not much benefit since it dies in a few hits anyway...

True, its his best feature drawing agro from small groups of trash mobs. The problem is he only lives for a few seconds, so what happens in these few seconds determines his worth. If he actually stuck with the trash mobs for his 10 seconds of glory it would be much more helpful, but as soon as I attack a tougher mob, he abandons the trash mobs and leads them all over to me, which compounds my fight since I end up agro'ing everything at the same time...and since he did very little damage to any of the trash mobs during his initial encounter, it really just ends up making the fight worse than it needs to be. At lvl 60, if you want more precise control of the battle arena, and better survivability, you are better off to just dismiss him for 90% of the fights you will encounter.

He will die in almost every single fight at lvl 60, so you either have to wait for him to heal up, drop a portable altar, or be a cleric, if you want him to go into the next fight with full HP. If you rush to the next fight before he is fully healed, he will die even quicker, and prove more useless. Its a shame that such a nice looking companion has to be such a thorn in your side. I believe there is some real potential there for Phoera if they tweaked his powers to at least get them on par with the other purple level companions.
  • Options
    jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The companions, like most other aspects of the game, will probably get some attention in the upcoming major beta patch. It's well known how underpowered they all are.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jpnole wrote: »
    The companions, like most other aspects of the game, will probably get some attention in the upcoming major beta patch. It's well known how underpowered they all are.

That would be totally awesome. I hope you're right :)
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »

Umm no it isn't 1 companion level = 2 normal levels. So a 30 companion is equal to a level 60 mob.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    Umm no it isn't 1 companion level = 2 normal levels. So a 30 companion is equal to a level 60 mob.

Um, yes it is, go test it.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?298701-Striker-Companions-Are-Useless-Broken-Please-Cryptic-D&highlight=companion+damage
  • Options
    akikisaragiakikisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I always use the honey badger because it's just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and doesn't give a s**t lol
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I always use the honey badger because it's just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and doesn't give a s**t lol

its on my bucket list, lol....or if I win the lottery, whichever comes 1st :D
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    at high end apart from the obvious (cat/stone) only galeb duhr seems semi useful. with a nice set of kit (def/regen) it can survive very well, as well as taunt mobs onto himself.

But i think the whole community can agree that companions (strikers) are just plain bad, their damage isnt good, but what makes them worse is there ridiculous slow attack speeds.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".