test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Level 60 GWFs Assessment of Powers DEVS PLEASE READ

Comments

• brodmodebrodmode Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, workable isn't what people want. If your dps, you should be able to bring dps, or a buff that helps the group which everyone needs. I honestly think the aoe is great, but I haven't seen a wizards numbers to compare, gear wise. During PVP, I feel one on one has been fair, or I feel a bit overpowered, but that could be a gear difference as well. I mean the most ive hit for was over 10k for a daily. A rogue hit me for 27k. I'm like wth? I'ts okay to be a pure dps class, and do those numbers, but if they give GWF an option to be pure dps too, and not a tank, they should reflect those similar numbers or close to or per gearscore.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Oh I did want to touch on something else really briefly about the Unstoppable glitch. Specifically, that's not the only glitch with Unstoppable. They need to really take a good hard look at all the middling little errors that add up to some serious BS.

1) Tab skill can be rendered completely inoperable. This isn't just for the GWF, I've had it happen on my rogue and it should be obvious after looking at the forums for two seconds that GF are having issues with their block as well.

2) The first attack performed while Unstoppable often doesn't get the speed increase. Not noticeable unless you're really looking for it or if you use RS, then it becomes readily obvious.

3) You can be knocked back or prone during Unstoppables activation animation, thus cancelling Unstoppable. In the case of being knocked prone, it is the one CC that Unstoppable doesn't break. WTF?

I'm sure there are other issues as well, but these are my top three issues with Unstoppable at the moment.

EDIT:

I simply do not believe that you finished Epic Temple of the Spider without a healer on the team. Maybe if all five of your team-mates had top-tier enchants. Maybe. Even then the only way I can conceive of that possibility is with hardcore glitching of some sort.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • brodmodebrodmode Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll be back when they buff GWF, seriously
    edited June 2013
    brodmode wrote: »

Yeah, even with all of my defense of the class it does underperform when you compare the actual effort involved. I wish I was exaggerating when I said that a TR doesn't need to do much more than hold down Duelist's Fury while popping Lurkers assault to get #1 DPS in a dungeon, but that about sum's it up. It is a little more complicated than that, but not by much. If you can dodge decently those two things together will net you #1.

Far, far easier with so much less effort it's almost ludicrous. A TR in greens with half a brain will out DPS a full purple GWF that knows their class inside and out. You can beat crappy TR, and there are a lot of them, but a good TR? Never. Their bleed does more damage in one tick than a GWF can do in 6 seconds. The fact a rogue can end up with 175% or more to their crit severity at the same time as a 60% base damage buff is completely insane (while they are invisible for 10+ seconds mind you). 60k bleed crits means that in ten seconds a rogue can do 600,000 damage, not including the actual damage Duelist's Fury inflicts with the dagger strikes themselves.

Hell, it can be a challenge to out DPS a decent CW but that has more to do with their knockbacks than the actual AoE damage output of the CW.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, workable isn't what people want. If your dps, you should be able to bring dps, or a buff that helps the group which everyone needs. I honestly think the aoe is great, but I haven't seen a wizards numbers to compare, gear wise. During PVP, I feel one on one has been fair, or I feel a bit overpowered, but that could be a gear difference as well. I mean the most ive hit for was over 10k for a daily. A rogue hit me for 27k. I'm like wth? I'ts okay to be a pure dps class, and do those numbers, but if they give GWF an option to be pure dps too, and not a tank, they should reflect those similar numbers or close to or per gearscore.

Problem here reveals the critical issue with the TR now, DPS. They should be straight movability based on how the character was envisioned in actual AD&D many years ago. Make them quick, with quick attacks, lower DPS, makes more sense, that way their crazy movements, backstab, and invisibility become more of a tool instead of a death blow every single time. Fighter should be straight DPS, all the time, that's what it is. The GWF lacks definition at this point, it's like it doesn't even lift.
    edited June 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    Oh I did want to touch on something else really briefly about the Unstoppable glitch. Specifically, that's not the only glitch with Unstoppable. They need to really take a good hard look at all the middling little errors that add up to some serious BS.

1) Tab skill can be rendered completely inoperable. This isn't just for the GWF, I've had it happen on my rogue and it should be obvious after looking at the forums for two seconds that GF are having issues with their block as well.

2) The first attack performed while Unstoppable often doesn't get the speed increase. Not noticeable unless you're really looking for it unless you use RS, then it becomes readily obvious.

3) You can be knocked back or prone during Unstoppables activation animation, thus cancelling Unstoppable. In the case of being knocked prone, it is the one CC that Unstoppable doesn't break. WTF?

I'm sure there are other issues as well, but these are my top three issues with Unstoppable at the moment.

EDIT:

I simply do not believe that you finished Epic Temple of the Spider without a healer on the team. Maybe if all five of your team-mates had top-tier enchants. Maybe. Even then the only way I can conceive of that possibility is with hardcore glitching of some sort.

****, didn't know that stuff about Unstoppable. Yeah, after lying prone, I mean, I guess it makes sense, but would be nice if it didn't. I mean, you are knocked out a little though, so logically it makes sense. Do you assert, sir, that I exploited something in a dungeon run? It was me, two TRs, a DC, and a CW. Very experienced players. I have to admit, I did feel a little lax in terms of what I had to offer, but it was a lot of fun. Call me carried, but I definitely didn't ruin the experience for anyone.
    edited June 2013

Why wait, at least learn how the class can function now, at this moment. When it's buffed and everyone wants in on it, you'll be one of the few that has a clue and literally unstoppable.
    edited June 2013
    It was me, two TRs, a DC, and a CW.

Then you did not finish the dungeon without a cleric, since I see that you included a DC in your lineup. Perhaps you meant beat it without double stacking DC, which is an entirely different claim. I of course believe you beat it with a cleric, but none? Not a chance.

But yes, Unstoppable apparently does not break prone status which means Unstoppable doesn't break every type of CC. If you see a GWF getting all big and angry, just knock him before he gets giant and you win. He's just as helpless as everyone else, and it makes knockdown even more OP.

Makes me wonder if Impossible to Catch breaks prone status...if so it's one more reason why Rogue's shouldn't even have Impossible to Catch in the first place. It's a better version of unstoppable with a slightly longer cool down. (Enough Recovery makes TR into better GWF WHAT?!?)
  • tmpemptytmpempty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well i came in here do decide what to roll as my first toon i guess it wont be gwf rofl
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    The last patch pretty much broke one of the feature of Unstoppable. You're suppose to be able to break out of CC during Unstoppable but you no longer can.
    edited June 2013
    The last patch pretty much broke one of the feature of Unstoppable. You're suppose to be able to break out of CC during Unstoppable but you no longer can.

I've never had that problem unless I don't have enough determination to pop Unstoppable. The only thing I haven't been able to break is prone status. Since the last patch was over a week ago, I think I'd have noticed this by now.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    I've never had that problem unless I don't have enough determination to pop Unstoppable. The only thing I haven't been able to break is prone status. Since the last patch was over a week ago, I think I'd have noticed this by now.

I think it was suppose to break all CC including prone ? I distinctively remember i was able to break out of any sort of CC. Maybe I'm just day dreaming. One annoying thing was the TR skill that creates a field of CC (Smokebomb which causes Daze) .. I remember I was able to break out of that with unstoppable, now it seems I can't.
    edited June 2013
    I think it was suppose to break all CC including prone ? I distinctively remember i was able to break out of any sort of CC. Maybe I'm just day dreaming. One annoying thing was the TR skill that creates a field of CC (Smokebomb which causes Daze) .. I remember I was able to break out of that with unstoppable, now it seems I can't.

Definitely can't do that now, didn't know that was a patch change, that shouldn't be. Should be a CC break.
  • bunzagabunzaga Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2013
    I mostly agree with your assessment. I would say that GWF needs more defense, not more damage... just my opinion. I also don't think our armor penetration from constitution is working at all, who knows if the gear armor penetration is working... They have horrid recovery, and not much to boost it other than gear. Their action point gain is also pretty bad.

I tried not using Take Down, and just went with Flourish, Indomitable Battle Strike, and Restoring Strike ( due to the range advantages ). As long as you play with skill, and tactics, I think you will notice a lot more wins with Take Down over Restoring Strike.

I currently use Slam and Crescendo as well.

The trick with Take Down, is knowing... or rather predicting when to use it. CW and DC will dodge at the drop of a hat (when you get into range) so don't use it right away, but after they dodge once or twice. When TRs port behind me, even if I can't see them, I turn around and Take Down. I am sure they are thinking 'wtf' because I just knocked them down while they were in stealth, but then I lay into a Flourish, then Battle Strike, and it is usually game over.

For the button masher, Take Down is harder to use, I'll agree.

I messed up a bit on my passives, so I'm working on a Cleric now, and will be making another GWF later (as human). I originally went with Halfling and did Dex+Con as I leveled... I think that was a mistake. In retrospect, I'll be going Human, and then Str/Dex, with focus on Str at the character creation.

With weapon master, I have around 40-45% crit chance after I hit someone 3 times, not too bad (especially with 80% crit damage).
    edited June 2013
    I think it was suppose to break all CC including prone ? I distinctively remember i was able to break out of any sort of CC. Maybe I'm just day dreaming. One annoying thing was the TR skill that creates a field of CC (stun?) .. I remember I was able to break out of that with unstoppable, now it seems I can't.

I have no idea. Like I've said so many times before, with the current state of the combat system entering into PvP is knowingly going into an area of concentrated exploits that people will point to as 'skill'. If Neverwinter is open beta, than Neverwinter PvP is open alpha. I've never had Unstoppable break prone, it's always struck me as odd that there is a particular CC type that I'm not able to break out of.

If anyone played City of Heroes, or Champions Online, did you really expect Neverwinter PvP to be even a mirror image shadow of balanced? City of Heroes wasn't balanced in it's seven years of existence, and while a part of that was after Cryptic left the game, it is still true.

Hell, Champions is still around and it's still not even close to balanced. I'm zero surprised by any of this, and it is the #1 reason I will not enter Neverwinter PvP until far after it's official 'release'. Even then, I'll probably ignore it since it's PvP in a Cryptic game. It will never be close to balanced, people will just cope and say it's ok.
  • ardikus27ardikus27 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You described the power "Come and Get It" from a PvP point of view, so I'll give my opinion on it in PvE.

Come and Get It is a great skill for dungeons. It is an afterthought to most people, but pulling mobs in close to you will absolutely increase yours and your group's damage output by a substantial amount - it brings multiple targets in range of your WS or WMS, and will also clump mobs up to hit multiple targets with Indomitable Battle Strike. You can also use it to pull mobs closer to ledges to knock them off with Roar, or position them for your group members to knock off.

Aside from the utility which I just described, Come and Get It also gives you a damage buff on your next attack (From testing it's about ~1500 damage at level 60), and it will proc effects like Plague Fire, Deep Gash, and Steel Blitz on affected targets, adding even more damage to it.

It does have a few areas that could be improved; the cooldown is quite long, and the pull in radius seems small at times. The action point gain is pretty average (about 8-9% per cast), which is further exacerbated by the long cooldown and does not increase based on hitting multiple targets.
    edited June 2013
    bunzaga wrote: »
    I mostly agree with your assessment. I would say that GWF needs more defense, not more damage... just my opinion. I also don't think our armor penetration from constitution is working at all, who knows if the gear armor penetration is working... They have horrid recovery, and not much to boost it other than gear. Their action point gain is also pretty bad.

I tried not using Take Down, and just went with Flourish, Indomitable Battle Strike, and Restoring Strike ( due to the range advantages ). As long as you play with skill, and tactics, I think you will notice a lot more wins with Take Down over Restoring Strike.

I currently use Slam and Crescendo as well.

The trick with Take Down, is knowing... or rather predicting when to use it. CW and DC will dodge at the drop of a hat (when you get into range) so don't use it right away, but after they dodge once or twice. When TRs port behind me, even if I can't see them, I turn around and Take Down. I am sure they are thinking 'wtf' because I just knocked them down while they were in stealth, but then I lay into a Flourish, then Battle Strike, and it is usually game over.

For the button masher, Take Down is harder to use, I'll agree.

I messed up a bit on my passives, so I'm working on a Cleric now, and will be making another GWF later (as human). I originally went with Halfling and did Dex+Con as I leveled... I think that was a mistake. In retrospect, I'll be going Human, and then Str/Dex, with focus on Str at the character creation.

With weapon master, I have around 40-45% crit chance after I hit someone 3 times, not too bad (especially with 80% crit damage).

Good assessment. I think I'll give Take Down another fair shake, but flourish has the distance I prefer, TD doesn't.
    edited June 2013
    ardikus27 wrote: »
    You described the power "Come and Get It" from a PvP point of view, so I'll give my opinion on it in PvE.

Come and Get It is a great skill for dungeons. It is an afterthought to most people, but pulling mobs in close to you will absolutely increase yours and your group's damage output by a substantial amount - it brings multiple targets in range of your WS or WMS, and will also clump mobs up to hit multiple targets with Indomitable Battle Strike. You can also use it to pull mobs closer to ledges to knock them off with Roar, or position them for your group members to knock off.

Aside from the utility which I just described, Come and Get It also gives you a damage buff on your next attack (From testing it's about ~1500 damage at level 60), and it will proc effects like Plague Fire, Deep Gash, and Steel Blitz on affected targets, adding even more damage to it.

It does have a few areas that could be improved; the cooldown is quite long, and the pull in radius seems small at times. The action point gain is pretty average (about 8-9% per cast), which is further exacerbated by the long cooldown and does not increase based on hitting multiple targets.

No, read it again, I mention by-proxy PvE. I had a Hexer knock me down and it negated the buff by the time I got up, never used it again. It's worthless for that. The GWF should be invulnerable for the duration. I definitely noticed the damage buff, but it's too risky in epics and 60 PvP.
    edited June 2013
    No, read it again, I mention by-proxy PvE. I had a Hexer knock me down and it negated the buff by the time I got up, never used it again. It's worthless for that. The GWF should be invulnerable for the duration. I definitely noticed the damage buff, but it's too risky in epics and 60 PvP.

CaGI can pull mobs off ledges and into pits.

CaGI helps position stragglers for CW to pop off cliff's.

It's a pretty decent damage buff, basically a guaranteed damage proc off your next attack.

I love this ability for PvE, but if the rest of your team is perfect I guess it's not a necessity. Still, there's a whole lot there to like.

Getting knocked down once when using it is the dumbest reason I've ever heard to not like something.
    edited June 2013
    CaGI can pull mobs off ledges and into pits.

CaGI helps position stragglers for CW to pop off cliff's.

Now THAT'S useful. 10/10 will try.
  • ardikus27ardikus27 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Okay so once in a while with bad luck you will get interrupted by mobs and you won't get the damage buff. Because of that the ability is worthless? What about the other half-dozen positive aspects that I mentioned about this ability? It's not like having your skill interrupted is exclusive to this skill either. I've had Flourish, IBS, Crescendo interrupted countless times by mobs because of some bad luck in the timing.

edit:
    Now THAT'S useful. 10/10 will try.

The post you're replying to said exactly the same thing as my original post, except mine was in paragraph form.. did you just read the first line of my post and reply immediately?
    edited June 2013
    The post you're replying to said exactly the same thing as my original post, except mine was in paragraph form.. did you just read the first line of my post and reply immediately?

People will read irregularly spaced posts because it breaks up the walls of text.

Also I pointed out some situations where CaGI does something really useful, such as instagib add's in some maps.

Of course this doesn't mean that people always ignore paragraphs and walls of text, I'm guilty of some of the most boring TL;DR drivel you'll ever read. It's because I'm bored and have too much time on my hands. Sometimes, I'm downloading Marvel Heroes and can't play another game until it's done.

That day is today.

(Also, I think he was being sarcastic. Tough to say.)
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Have to agree here, sorry to say. I really like my character, but with an overall class buff she'd be really good. Workable now, but workable is not where most players would want to strive to reach. Sounds like you need a good guild man, join us, you'll see the name in the sig below. We have one or two other good GWFs that play well, tonight doing some T2 Spider Temple runs.

So, nobody likes the GWF hence nobody takes them to high lvl dungeons yet those dungeons drop GWF items that in turn get put on the AH by those "leet" wizards/rogues/clerics. Way I see it, the game as it is now provides a lazy and quite cheap way for us GWFs to gear up. Nice
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    edited June 2013
    emilemo wrote: »
    So, nobody likes the GWF hence nobody takes them to high lvl dungeons yet those dungeons drop GWF items that in turn get put on the AH by those "leet" wizards/rogues/clerics. Way I see it, the game as it is now provides a lazy and quite cheap way for us GWFs to gear up. Nice

Hhaaha, yeah. That's why I'm patient with my gear purchases or make good deals on the side outside of the AH for keys.
    edited June 2013

Read it again. You were talking specifically about pulling people in for DAMAGE BUFF for most of it, not for casting them off of cliffs and such like a CW. You only mentioned that in one sentence, and I missed it, my apologies. But why use Roar to knock some off? The CW can do this much better and more efficiently, and you've just wasted a power slot on something you can only use intermittently for this purpose, bu something which the CW can use effectively outside of that context.

That's what I was referring to when I said I would try it. And yes, I feel the power is negated by being interrupted, because it happened to me more than once and it's suicide in PvP to try this skill. I get enough buffs from GFs and DCs around me, why waste time buffing some more when I could be killing? That's my point, and the point is also that the GWF needs an overall dmg buff because of this intuitive assumption on how it should operate.
  • maximegalonicusmaximegalonicus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Some additional observations:

- The Sure Strike has a slightly greater range than the other attacks.
    - Flourish as it is, made me think what it is about it. It is the only attack, that locks on the target. This makes it a minor daily.

Movability is harder to be calculated into any equasion, than any other skill. It is impossible to evaluate the possibility, to escape and tactically maneuver in a combat. Stats: movement, stamina-drain etc.

This can lead to, you ending up as the fire-brigade: Uncrowned "king of the assists", bindig the flanks, until they are killed by the wiz.

Like other classes the GWF at the moment, is a victim of the game-battle-statistics. When a dungeon is done, after the Pvp, The little "x" window pops open. Where will you see the GWF?

Who is making up the categories, that matter in this game? Is it "kills", "damage taken", "most points healed", that matter?

This list could be longer. In your mind open up an additional roster:

* Who did revive the most of his co-players? (The GWF is swiftly tanking himself, through the hordes and is the angel in the storm)

* Who kept the blue "combat advantage" indigo, for the other players?

* Who stalled the hordes on the flanks?

(Minor:

* Who brought the well served healing companion to the battle, that made him the second best healer, right after the cleric?)

Meaning, the GWF might not be a non-brainer anything kind of class. (In my opinion aswell, a lot of stats, might get slightly buffed.)
    It is not the class, not the stats, that make the character epic. It's all the GWF players, that put their time into this class.

As a GWF myself, I say: Stay awesome!
    edited June 2013

- The Sure Strike has a slightly greater range than the other attacks.
    - Flourish as it is, made me think what it is about it. It is the only attack, that locks on the target. This makes it a minor daily.

Can you explain what you're talking about with SS there? I mean, WS has a much greater range and attack radius than SS ever, ever would. And unlike WMS, you can miss with part of it. I can move out of the way of the last swing easily, whereas WMS always hits on the second swing because of how it locks on for that one. That's why I like Flourish so much. Try it on a TR who goes invisible, when they get hit they wonder.
  • maximegalonicusmaximegalonicus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can you explain what you're talking about with SS there? I mean, WS has a much greater range and attack radius than SS ever, ever would. And unlike WMS, you can miss with part of it. I can move out of the way of the last swing easily, whereas WMS always hits on the second swing because of how it locks on for that one. That's why I like Flourish so much. Try it on a TR who goes invisible, when they get hit they wonder.

Sure Thing:

Firstly, the ranges are in the first line, of the skill-descriptions. So, RS and SS have each 15' range. (Nominal - meaning, as in the description.) WS and WMS, have 12' of range each.

The cone or angle of attack is something different. On a single target you will mostly face it, making the angle of attack 0 degrees.

360 degrees means, that you even hit targets behind you.

Cheers
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Read it again. You were talking specifically about pulling people in for DAMAGE BUFF for most of it, not for casting them off of cliffs and such like a CW. You only mentioned that in one sentence, and I missed it, my apologies. But why use Roar to knock some off? The CW can do this much better and more efficiently, and you've just wasted a power slot on something you can only use intermittently for this purpose, bu something which the CW can use effectively outside of that context.

That's what I was referring to when I said I would try it. And yes, I feel the power is negated by being interrupted, because it happened to me more than once and it's suicide in PvP to try this skill. I get enough buffs from GFs and DCs around me, why waste time buffing some more when I could be killing? That's my point, and the point is also that the GWF needs an overall dmg buff because of this intuitive assumption on how it should operate.

One reason is more Determination.
    Another is AP.
    Third is threat.
    Fourth is to clear the adds.
    edited June 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    One reason is more Determination.
    Another is AP.
    Third is threat.
    Fourth is to clear the adds.

But again, if you're stunned in some way (which can happen very easily in PvP) or knocked over, all of what you just said doesn't mean anything.