test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chartreuse Halls - Trading Reviews

myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
The Chartreuse Halls
NW-DGZ9J6Y2M

efmd8z.jpg

Hi all,

I've just published my first Foundry quest and I'd be really grateful for some playtesting and reviews. The quest focuses on set-piece encounters, with a small references to Forgotten Realms lore and a light touch of humour and references. The encounters are balanced for solo play and the entire quest can be completed between 10 to 20 minutes, depending on whether you read all of the dialogue and quest objects.

I'd be particularly grateful for any bug reports and feedback on the difficulty of the encounters. Due to fairly extensive use of timers in the first map and invisible walls in the second map, I'm concerned that some of the encounters might quite buggy. I'd also be very grateful for any general comments on any specific encounter or the quest as a whole.

If you leave your quest name and shortcode below, I'd be very happy to trade reviews and feedback!

The Chartreuse Halls (v1.1)

Rumours on the wind speak of a clandestine gang planning to orchestrate a prison break from an underground facility in the middle of Neverwinter Wood.

Shortcode: NW-DGZ9J6Y2M
No. of players: Solo (Groups not recommended.)
Duration: 15-20 minutes
Difficulty: Medium
Maps: 2
Style: Encounter focused with light lore elements
Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
Post edited by myrmecoleon on

Comments

• Options
    myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited June 2013
    To review

None.

Changelog

- Fixed trigger radius in Shadow Coil.
    - Fixed flashing flag decal in the corridor leading up to the Gauntlet and deleted bone pile decal in the Caldera.
    - Changed Shadow Coil quest objectives from "Flee from the Shadow Wolves" to "Escape or defeat the Shadow Wolves".
    - Slightly amended the final response to Jerek Kruger's dialogue.
    - Slightly amended Meighan's dialogue with references to the Cant to better reflect her Sigilite heritage.
    - Slightly amended Tannith's dialogue by foreshadowing the Perdition's Light encounter and added references to the Cant to better reflect his Sigilite heritage.
    - Adjusted the height of the second web platform in the Sarcossa Transformed encounter to be lower to the ground. Further adjustments still needed.
    - Adjusted the Perdition's Light encounter so that the invisible floor no longer disappears upon completion. Instead, the central tile disappears and the gap is highlighted by fire walls.
    - Removed one Shadow Wolf encounter from the Shadow Coil.
    - Slightly increased the difficulty of the Sarcossa Transformed encounter.

Encounter notes

General - If you die during an encounter, there should be portal rooms near each campfire which will take you back.

Encounter #2 (Gauntlet/Reflection of Despair) - Often gets stuck in the trench. Annoying, but it does make the encounter easier.

Encounter #3 (Kruger's Krushers) - To discourage killing the weaker NPCs (the rogue or the wizard) before you kill the "tank" (the warrior), the rogue's death triggers traps and the wizard's death triggers smoke which is intended to inhibit vision of said traps. I'm not sure how well this concept works in practice.

Encounter #5 (Direhelm Obliterator) - Due to the size of the room and the trigger, companions often get stuck outside. Not sure how to fix this.

Encounter #7 (Perdition's Light/Lost Legion) - The upper level golems occasionally fall through the floor. Again, annoying, but not sure how to fix this.

Encounter #8 (Shadow Coil) - An alternative to fighting the wolf adds is to run to the next "light", which despawns the wolf adds.

Encounter #9 (Sarcossa Transformed) - Occasionally falls through the webs, but you should be able to get to her once the webs despawn.
  • Options
    pavvopavvo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi just played your quest

Couldn't finish it. There was a bug. The last part - Continue Deeper into the shadow Coil, the interaction was placed near the ceiling and I couldn't reach it. (See screenshot)

LFJ3avn.jpg

Was able to portal to the Sarcossa but not able to do anything else.
    Sorry. I will gladly review it once it's fixed.

Please help to review my 2 campaigns if you have the time (or just the Amulet of the Shining Sun if you don't :))

Cheers.
    Links in sig
    The Tale of the 3 Suns - NWS-DA9XX8WIV
    #1: 3 Suns Aligned NW-DFEKZANXF
    #2: The Amulet of the Shining Sun NW-DRKKGUI26
    #2 has choices that give a high amount of replayability

The Legend of Khyber - NWS-DK33EIYMY
    #1: The Holy Symbol of Khyber NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    #2: The Gauntlets of Khyber NW-DN0006FAZ
    Heavy combat/light story
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks, pavvo. That interaction's one of the portals which a quick re-entry if you die in that section of the map. The next part was supposed to be triggered once you got the light in the screenshot (should be Defeat the Shadowkeeper next). I think the trigger radius might have been set too low - I'll fix that.

I'll get to The Tale of the 3 Suns straight away!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pavvo - I tried running through Amulet of the Shining Star. I chose the third option from the Erinyes (Boba the Clever), which led me to the jungle-style room with the Thoon Hulk. I killed the Hulk, but there seemed to be an archer shooting me which I couldn't see or reach, and being in combat meant I couldn't interact with the backpack. I'll try running it again through one of the other choices.

Edit - Made it through the second time round by choosing the first option. The pacing and difficulty were excellent, and I got to see the choice of encounters by picking a different path on the second run - thought this was a great idea (much prefer fighting Winterforge to Mind Flayers). (Was a bit scared when the Thoon Hulk popped up on the first Shugamoth encounter, but was glad it was a reskin!) The final boss was fairly difficult, but having NPC assistance helped a lot, and I barely needed to pot. For reference, I ran using a 60 Guardian Fighter with a DPS companion the first time, and with a cleric companion the second time.

Full list of minor comments below:

Ordaris conversation in the tavern - "You see, Depriva so loves to play with her trinkers, She has awarded..." Should "she" be lowercase?

Erinyes conversation in the Shimmering Halls - "But first, let me one last service for the master". Should this read "let me perform one last service"? In the dialogue choice to pick the apprentice, the last two choices should have full stops.

First portal to dispel the wall - Should the Y value increased? The portal appears to be set into the ground.

Third choice encounters (Mind Flayers) - A few of these spawn trolls and ash scions, but are still labelled "Mind Flayer Infiltrator".

Final boss - Affiliation name should be "Ashmadai" rather than "Ashamadai". Is the correct name "Shugamoth" or "Shumagoth"?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Still trading reviews, in case anyone's interested. I'm around now, so should be fairly quick!
  • Options
    hflord1hflord1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Right after defeating Sarcossa there is debris (flags) in the hall that is blinking, you'll have to raise or lower it by .1 or so to stop it from competing for position with the floor.

Evernight Halls: bone pile in corner of first room (after the hall with portraits) hovers in the air a tad.

No other problems. All-in-all a great, well rounded adventure.
  • Options
    zuvielezuviele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    I'll play it now. If you could, please check out the quest in my signature

Update:
    That was quite entertaining. That battle with the two demons was visually intense.
    Your use of dialogue was pretty excellent; good writing.

A few things I noticed:
    1. The use of invisible walls to fight the shadow golem things was cool, but it was so unexpected that it felt a little disorienting. Maybe I didn't read the dialogue well enough, but I had no idea I was about to be floating in the sky.

2. A minor thing: It would be nice to be able to talk to that tiefling (I forget his name) and tell him his sister is looking for him. It would be a nice unifier of the story.

3. When your quest says "Flee from the shadow wolves", the wolves don't spawn until you get half way down the hall. Also...the wolves were quite defeatable, so there really was no reason to flee.

4. The final battle: I really like the use of the "webs". However, I found that when I won and the webs broke, I took a good amount of falling damage. If I had lower life, it would have killed me. You might want to address that. But a cool mechanic for sure.

You gave me some good ideas for future quests.
    The Harper series (NWS-DG3ALMAAC):
    • Part 1: The Rescue (NW-DHWDQZ9YD)
  • Options
    pavvopavvo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi
    Thanks for the comment. I've since fixed that bug with the mobs behind the wall.
    Thanks also the grammatical/spelling observations! Will fix that too!

Cheers
    The Tale of the 3 Suns - NWS-DA9XX8WIV
    #1: 3 Suns Aligned NW-DFEKZANXF
    #2: The Amulet of the Shining Sun NW-DRKKGUI26
    #2 has choices that give a high amount of replayability

The Legend of Khyber - NWS-DK33EIYMY
    #1: The Holy Symbol of Khyber NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    #2: The Gauntlets of Khyber NW-DN0006FAZ
    Heavy combat/light story
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zuviele wrote: »

Update:
    That was quite entertaining. That battle with the two demons was visually intense.
    Your use of dialogue was pretty excellent; good writing.

A few things I noticed:
    1. The use of invisible walls to fight the shadow golem things was cool, but it was so unexpected that it felt a little disorienting. Maybe I didn't read the dialogue well enough, but I had no idea I was about to be floating in the sky.

2. A minor thing: It would be nice to be able to talk to that tiefling (I forget his name) and tell him his sister is looking for him. It would be a nice unifier of the story.

3. When your quest says "Flee from the shadow wolves", the wolves don't spawn until you get half way down the hall. Also...the wolves were quite defeatable, so there really was no reason to flee.

4. The final battle: I really like the use of the "webs". However, I found that when I won and the webs broke, I took a good amount of falling damage. If I had lower life, it would have killed me. You might want to address that. But a cool mechanic for sure.

You gave me some good ideas for future quests.

Thanks very much for the detailed feedback, zuviele! I'll make sure I reciprocate the review this evening.

I hadn't given much thought to 1 - thanks for letting me know! I'll see if I can lampshade it in the ghosts' conversation. (The concept was that the "light" golems you fight in the upper level cast shadows onto the lower level.) The side-story with the ghost is intended to be addressed separately down the line.

You're definitely right on 3 and 4 - the base encounter in 3 is spiderlings, so they're quite easily defeated. I'll adjust the quest wording accordingly. On 4, I'm torn between having the greater height for dramatic value and the annoyance of having unavoidable damage in an encounter. I'll test with lower heights.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    hflord1 wrote: »
    Right after defeating Sarcossa there is debris (flags) in the hall that is blinking, you'll have to raise or lower it by .1 or so to stop it from competing for position with the floor.

Evernight Halls: bone pile in corner of first room (after the hall with portraits) hovers in the air a tad.

No other problems. All-in-all a great, well rounded adventure.

Many thanks, hflord! I've fixed the bugs above.
  • Options
    mrthebozermrthebozer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey myrmecoleon,

If you're still taking trades, there is a link to my adventure in my signature. Either way, I'll add this to my lunch break run today.
    c447.png
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ran through this just now. Have to admit I am was totally gob-smacked at some of what you have done in there. Stuff that I hadn't even begun to imagine was possible. I can see now I have a lot to learn and master to get my efforts close to this kind of standard.

Left a review for you.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    mrthebozermrthebozer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey myrmecoleon,

Just had a chance to run this one - bravo! Full marks and highest tip I can give. Your adventure is an inspiration to other builders. My notes are almost all in regards to things that stood out as exceptional - it is obvious you've spent countless hours polishing this, as there was not a typo to be found (I almost noted "organisation" before I paused to remember that this was just me being an American.) Out of everything I wrote, here are the only things that I thought could be improved upon:

- In the first encounter with Sarcossa, she is just standing there waiting for you. While this is fine, you might consider having her doing something when you arrive, or having some details to better draw the eye to her. Right now it is the only moment in the adventure where things are kind of just "there."

- The light golem is the most ambitious and impressive encounter I've faced yet. And it is only natural that something so over the top would present a ton of challenges from a design perspective... and I found one. As the golems pass through the invisible floor, several of them land on the heads of statues and continue to hold my attention even though I cannot strike them. Once I dispatched the ones still in the air with me, I found myself "unable to perform the action at this time" in regards to the portal leading down, and unable to strike the closer golems that were preventing me from doing so. I wound up hopping around the ceiling until I found a hole in the invisible walkmesh to fall through, taking considerable falling damage. I survived the remaining combat, but this was obviously not the way the encounter was intended to play out. You may wish to adjust the layout of the statues to keep them clear of the path, so any falling golems get enough distance to allow player interaction with the portal.

And that... is all I've got. Your visual designs were stunning, your characters had wonderful personality, a your prowess at manipulating the game mechanics is top notch.
    c447.png
  • Options
    voivodakvoivodak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    wow, your quest has impressed me! The rooms are well kept and the atmosphere is claustrophobic. You have used very particular but effective mechanics. I especially enjoyed the final encounter with the boss, suspended on spiderwebs.
    Very good also the use of effects and lights.
    Congratulations! 5 stars, all deserve.

I'm curious to read your opinion on my quest.
    You can find it in signature ;)
    My Campaign and Quest :

Campaign - In The Streams of Inferno
    Act I : The Fear That Freeze - nw-dnuzsyeey
    Act II : Demons Never Sleep - nw-dbj2us96n
  • Options
    lumicakerylumicakery Member Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    Hi, trade reviews with mine? Mine is in my sig. Though I can only play later on, thx :).
    Joachim the Coward
    NW-DKK8NIRO6
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ran through this just now. Have to admit I am was totally gob-smacked at some of what you have done in there. Stuff that I hadn't even begun to imagine was possible. I can see now I have a lot to learn and master to get my efforts close to this kind of standard.

Left a review for you.

All The Best

Thanks, ronin! I'd be more than happy to review your quest once it's done - just drop me a message any time.
    Hey myrmecoleon,

Just had a chance to run this one - bravo! Full marks and highest tip I can give. Your adventure is an inspiration to other builders. My notes are almost all in regards to things that stood out as exceptional - it is obvious you've spent countless hours polishing this, as there was not a typo to be found (I almost noted "organisation" before I paused to remember that this was just me being an American.) Out of everything I wrote, here are the only things that I thought could be improved upon:

- In the first encounter with Sarcossa, she is just standing there waiting for you. While this is fine, you might consider having her doing something when you arrive, or having some details to better draw the eye to her. Right now it is the only moment in the adventure where things are kind of just "there."

Thanks for the feedback! That's a great idea - I'll add in some lightning to draw the player's eye to her position.
    - The light golem is the most ambitious and impressive encounter I've faced yet. And it is only natural that something so over the top would present a ton of challenges from a design perspective... and I found one. As the golems pass through the invisible floor, several of them land on the heads of statues and continue to hold my attention even though I cannot strike them. Once I dispatched the ones still in the air with me, I found myself "unable to perform the action at this time" in regards to the portal leading down, and unable to strike the closer golems that were preventing me from doing so. I wound up hopping around the ceiling until I found a hole in the invisible walkmesh to fall through, taking considerable falling damage. I survived the remaining combat, but this was obviously not the way the encounter was intended to play out. You may wish to adjust the layout of the statues to keep them clear of the path, so any falling golems get enough distance to allow player interaction with the portal.

This encounter was the most painful to balance properly - I thought it was publishable on the basis that the encounter should eventually time out such that the objective gets completed even if it bugs, but my fear (and the statue placement) is that the golems drop onto the actual floor and kill the ghosts, making the encounter impossible to complete. I'll tinker around with it a bit more. I also hate the mandatory fall damage at the end, so I'm thinking of making just one central part of the floor shatter, with a fire wall outline to show the wall down, and an intermediate platform to break the fall.
    wow, your quest has impressed me! The rooms are well kept and the atmosphere is claustrophobic. You have used very particular but effective mechanics. I especially enjoyed the final encounter with the boss, suspended on spiderwebs.
    Very good also the use of effects and lights.
    Congratulations! 5 stars, all deserve.

Thanks for the review! I'll add your quest to the list and should be able to run it this evening.
    Hi, trade reviews with mine? Mine is in my sig. Though I can only play later on, thx .

Will do - I'll add it to the list.
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks, ronin! I'd be more than happy to review your quest once it's done - just drop me a message any time.

Many thanks for the offer, my Quest (Revised V1) is uploaded, and the info and link to review thread is in my sig.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll be happy to trade a play and review with you. My quest is in my signature. Will try running yours now.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zuviele wrote: »

Just completed The Rescue - I enjoyed the quest, and in particular, that last section with Exos observing the guards was excellent. The combat difficulty was also well balanced for solo encounters - the ogre savage and the commander were appropriately difficult. The dialogue was also very good. Detailed comments below:

- One of the last orc encounters before the house features an orc sergeant and an ogre savage - the ogre savage is reskinned to an orc without the name being changed.

- I liked the decor in the house and the caves - some very subtle details, and it worked well with the atmosphere without being cluttered.

- I spotted almost no errors in the dialogue, except a few full stops here and there. In the first dialogue with Exos on the dying soldier, "Ah Yes" - the yes should be lowercase. In the same dialogue, there's the line "Although, I do enjoy the occasional wanton slaughter. Personally [...]" - suggest amending to "Although I do enjoy the occasional wanton slaughter, personally, [...]"

- The last bit with Exos was impressive and must have taken ages on the pathing! The cutscene is also an excellent concept, but one slight issue I had was that the "steps" between the cutscene took quite long to resolve. I'd suggest possibly shortening the timers a bit.
  • Options
    zuvielezuviele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    Just completed The Rescue - I enjoyed the quest, and in particular, that last section with Exos observing the guards was excellent. The combat difficulty was also well balanced for solo encounters - the ogre savage and the commander were appropriately difficult. The dialogue was also very good. Detailed comments below:

- One of the last orc encounters before the house features an orc sergeant and an ogre savage - the ogre savage is reskinned to an orc without the name being changed.

- I liked the decor in the house and the caves - some very subtle details, and it worked well with the atmosphere without being cluttered.

- I spotted almost no errors in the dialogue, except a few full stops here and there. In the first dialogue with Exos on the dying soldier, "Ah Yes" - the yes should be lowercase. In the same dialogue, there's the line "Although, I do enjoy the occasional wanton slaughter. Personally [...]" - suggest amending to "Although I do enjoy the occasional wanton slaughter, personally, [...]"

- The last bit with Exos was impressive and must have taken ages on the pathing! The cutscene is also an excellent concept, but one slight issue I had was that the "steps" between the cutscene took quite long to resolve. I'd suggest possibly shortening the timers a bit.

Thank you for the review!
    I've been going through this morning and fixing some of the issues you talked about.

1) I must have killed that miss-skinned savage 20 times. Thanks for calling me out on that one :)
    2) I agree. I will do that
    3) The pathing wasn't as hard as getting the scaffolding right. In hindsight, I kinda wished I had used a portal. The pathing is particularly frustrating because it works perfectly on my Foundry, but when published he walks in a circle around the second ramp (I assume you saw that). I wish I could get it right.

I was also noticing the timers were a bit long. I think it's mostly the middle timer when they are just standing there staring at each other. I'll have to spend some more time on it.

Thanks a lot for reviewing!
    The Harper series (NWS-DG3ALMAAC):
    • Part 1: The Rescue (NW-DHWDQZ9YD)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @mrthebozer

Bonderleaf's Thorough Aggregator was among the most unique and most well designed quests I've played in the Foundry. All aspects were excellent, but the environmental design and the theme that runs through the adventure is just incredible. Even though it's quite a bit longer than the quests I usually run, I was hooked the entire time. Why it's not got dozens of reviews is entirely beyond me. I'd exhort anyone to try it out as an example of what can be done with the Foundry.

In particular, the decor in Thundertree was excellent, and not even the best part of the quest area! The house/faces were a nice, subtle touch, and I knew this was going to be unusual upon being assaulted by a band of mimics. The lighting on the tower was also beautifully done. One thing which struck me in particular was the theme and feel of the environment and creatures. The trolls and the cat fit the environment perfectly. The fire trail placement (and smoke) and the thermostat room all stood out. I have no idea how the vortex worked, but it worked very well. The mini-exploration "achievement" style interactions was also a great touch.

I'm definitely subscribing!
  • Options
    anrix2anrix2 Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I just ran this dungeon. Wow it was really fun and really visual. It was really great how you integrated effects in the combat and using triggers as well.

If you want to trade reviews my quest is called Mage Masher. It is a dungeon crawl too.

I have to say your dungeon gave me some great ideas if I decide to do another quest. :)
    A solo or group hack-n-slash: Mage Masher

A short solo hack-n-slash: The Dirty Dwarf
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @voivodak

I just completed The Fear That Freeze - the atmosphere on the first few maps was great, the mists and abandoned wagons in the woodcutters' village worked well, and the encounters in the crypt were solid and challenging. The dialogue was also very good, and I thought the diaries and the three brothers' background were all great touches. In terms of the encounters, the three evocations were quite difficult, but not unfair; I thought the boss itself was manageable. I did have to pot quite a lot later on, though, and I appreciated the warning! Full list of comments below.

- In Tybelock's dialogue, "desire was so great for lead him to escape" should read "to lead". One of the earlier responses has the player refer to Tybelock as "sergeant", but he's a captain. Tybelock also refers to Klutz as "Her", but talks about "him" later in that paragraph (I think it should be "His", judging by Klutz's skinning). The last dialogue panel reads "smashed opened" - this should be "smashed open".

- In the dead orcs contacts, "orchish blood" should be "orcish blood" (I think). The line "says his last words, then, he die" - suggest changing this to "says his last words; then, he dies."

- In Greenwash's dialogue, the words "Yeah, Yeah" appear - the second "yeah" should be lower case. In Tiredbeard's dialogue, should the sarcastic smile description appear on a separate line?

- The opening scene for woodcutters' village is great - eerie! The vanishing ghosts were a nice touch too.

- In Helena's dialogue, the line "Helena - "wants to join him" ." has an extra space at the end.

- In the interim boss fight inside the burning house, the fire imp is small but appears to be a standard encounter - could make the encounter harder, since it's easy to ignore.

- In the crypts, the objective text "Go Deeply" should be "Go Deeper". The gate interaction reads "Press F to the Gate is opening" - this should be "to open the gate".

- In Legend of Cruelty, "arrived to the village" should be "arrived at the village".

- The spawn in the caves with the burning skeleton and the cultist also seemed to pull the next group, which made that fight a little more difficult. Fortunately, the caves map allows knockbacks into the pit, which helped the difficulty - not sure if you want to change this or keep it as it is.

- The morgue warden encounter was challenging! The warden himself is quite simple, but the deathlock wights and the warden's heal mean the rotter damage is quite high - I had to pot a lot here.

- In Cloud of Evilness's (should this be "Cloud of Evil?") dialogue, "dreadfull" should be "dreadful".

- The reskinned aboleth aberrants look weird, but good weird - I think it works!

- Klutz and her encounter are still labelled as mind flayers - should these be relabelled?

- In Aretus's dialogue, the "i'm sorry" should have a capital "I". Also suggest the response "What does it mean : "Could be Here"?" is amended to "What do you mean "could be here?"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @dominemesis @anrix - Thanks! I've added your quests to the list, though I may not be able to get round to them today.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just completed Valerie's dream. The storyline really stood out, through the NPC interactions worked very well to relay the story to the player - it certainly drew me into the plot, and I looked forward to seeing the storyline unfold through the progressive encounters with the recurring NPCs. The dreamscape design was also refreshing and suitably bizarre. I chose the solo difficulty, and I thought the difficulty was absolutely fine. I died once, but that was entirely due to me failing to read the quest objectives (you know which one I mean!) despite using a similar mechanism in Halls! A few notes below:

- The Rasheman Shaman - should this (and associated dialogue text) be "Rashemen"? The dialogue with the shaman has the word "does'nt" - this should be "doesn't".

- William Reitfield's stall dialogue mentions his being "tentative and caring" - not sure that "tentative" is the correct expression here. "Did'nt" should be "didn't".

- In Valerie's dialogue, ""aprroaches" should be "approaches".
  • Options
    lumicakerylumicakery Member Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    Dang man, your foundry was excellent. It was very masterful, no rough edges from what I saw. I still have much to learn :).

Btw how did you put music in your dungeon? I must know!
    Joachim the Coward
    NW-DKK8NIRO6
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lumicakery wrote: »
    Dang man, your foundry was excellent. It was very masterful, no rough edges from what I saw. I still have much to learn :).

Btw how did you put music in your dungeon? I must know!

Thanks!

In relation to the music, the only way I know to get it working is to use a custom indoors map, and select the music in the Room Properties panel in any of your placed rooms (usually the entrance room).
  • Options
    lisaxreinkelisaxreinke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You did an amazing job on this one. The visuals are the best ones I've seen so far. How did you get everything to turn to black and white?

As I player, I was a bit confused when I first dropped through the floor at the black and white section. I wasn't sure if it was a mistake. But, I figured by the end that you planned to have people dropping through the floor.

I played it as a lvl 25 Guardian Fighter. I had to use one potion (and a healy companion). My preference is to not use potions on Foundry quests, but may you want it to be challenging.

I have no real problems, just those two comments.

I think it would be cool if someone skilled like you made a foundry quest that taught other people how to build foundry quests. Just an idea.

If you get a chance, spend a moment to review my new quest: NW-DBLLB920C
    Populist Animal Revolt
    by LISAXREINKE
    Play my Quest: Populist Animal Revolution NW-DBLLB920C
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok, so first of all, sorry it took me so long to get to reviewing it - real life is a *****.

It was a very good dungeon crawler - I liked the story though I have to tell you - I am usually all for reading good dialogue, but your wall of text sometimes felt discouraging. Maybe break it down to 3-4 dialogue screens so that the reader doesn't feel overwhelmed?

- The cluster of arrows in the ground in the very first corridor you fight in - was it suppose to be a trap of a kind, blocking player from going forward? If not... well, it's exactly what happens xD

- Encounters were well-balanced but the shadow wolves, man! The higher you get, the harder stacked encounters get. I'm a lv55 cleric and those are HARD to beat if you don't have daily power activated. Let me tell you, I was running away from that horde down the corridor ACTUALLY yelling "What the f***!?!" as I spammed pots. It was not a good feeling - those three waves were WAY harder for me then final encounter. As the user above, I don't really like spammig pots in foundry quests (honestly, I hardly use pots at all in Cryptic maps, but somehow foundry gets the best of me).

- Nice scare with spawning copies of Deflection of despair on me - I actually thought for a minute that you stacked a group of ogres xD

- Pooche the Pooch = love

- Nice Shadow coil effects - it went dark all around and I actually stopped for a second with a 'whoa' on my lips.

- I have graphics on max and I couldn't see AOE markers around Shadowkeeper - which resulted in me zigging when I should have zagged and loosing 60% of HP (squishy clerics are squishy)

- Nice job on the timers, though I did get small bugs. During fight with demon twins the door that shut behind me cut off my cleric companion from me. During the golem fight the golems and ghosts stayed up while I fought a single golem downstairs. And during final fight my companion and the spiders dropped all the way down without me, had to wait until I dropped too.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You did an amazing job on this one. The visuals are the best ones I've seen so far. How did you get everything to turn to black and white?

Thanks! I'll add yours to the list too. The black and white effect is just the black and white skyfade from the Details tab.
    As I player, I was a bit confused when I first dropped through the floor at the black and white section. I wasn't sure if it was a mistake. But, I figured by the end that you planned to have people dropping through the floor.

Yeah - I agree. When I get the time, I'm going to make the floor remain as it is, but with a highlighted segment in the centre falling away so the player can descend from the ceiling themselves.
    I played it as a lvl 25 Guardian Fighter. I had to use one potion (and a healy companion). My preference is to not use potions on Foundry quests, but may you want it to be challenging.

Could I ask which encounter you used the potion on? I think the three adventurers and the direhelms in the Star Chamber are the worst two, but would be grateful for confirmation.
    I think it would be cool if someone skilled like you made a foundry quest that taught other people how to build foundry quests. Just an idea.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the mechanics is very basic compared to a lot of authors - I'm sure most could do a better job than I can of doing a building tutorial!