test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Open Beta -> Live Release

beardedorcbeardedorc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed previously but I couldn't find anything about it.
I understand that Open Beta began last month and I was hoping someone could shed some light on when it ends, or if it ends.
Is there a certain date that it ends and we are locked out until release or does it just seamlessly get released ?

Also, are current characters being removed prior to release or do we keep what we have and what we've done so far ?

Thanks,

BeardedOrc ^_<
Post edited by beardedorc on

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    There's no information but I would imagine the game would be seamlessly released...

But I'm sure we could also expect some prices. Simply changing the status would be a bit underwhelming but if Cryptic has any launch plans past changing the status from Open Beta to Live they are keeping it a closely guarded secret.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In that audio interview someone posted not long ago Andy did say something like it will be Live "early next month" is what I think I heard. No idea if that's changed but nothing official has been announced that I've seen.

There will be no wipe when OB ends and it's officially Live.
  • Options
    beardedorcbeardedorc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well we can only hope that it's a seamless change as this will sit best with all the players in my opinion. When you mentioned the prices, are they charging for the game itself ?
  • Options
    somnolence2somnolence2 Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    this is live as there is no such thing as a "Launch" where 30,000 people start with completely maxed out characters. That's just me being logical though... frowned upon around these here parts.
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ - because some times MMO's fail.
  • Options
    arlandinoarlandino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the game has been released... it doesn't really matter what anyone calls it. Its out.
  • Options
    ozzyballistaozzyballista Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's no information but I would imagine the game would be seamlessly released...

But I'm sure we could also expect some prices. Simply changing the status would be a bit underwhelming but if Cryptic has any launch plans past changing the status from Open Beta to Live they are keeping it a closely guarded secret.

I've got s feeling that this is going to be one of those games that never gets out of open beta, just like the shady ones you find on Facebook. so they never have to justify shoddy content and even shoddier customer service. I wont get in to the forum moderation, or this post will get redacted.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for your opinions ozzy but I assure you the game will leave Open Beta.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for your opinions ozzy but I assure you the game will leave Open Beta.

I totally agree and I'm really liking it so far.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IMO, the game stays in OB about a week or two before launch. This is so there is a fallback should a full wipe be required, namely, section 16 of ToS. As long as the game is declared in a "beta state"(and therefore still in testing), that clause applies. Once the game is declared by PWE to be officially live (yes, they DO make announcements for this sort of thing), then the beta testing clause of ToS no longer applies.

Specifically, this:
    This data may be reset at any time during the testing process, and it may be reset when the particular game completes this testing phase. In this case, all player history and data will be erased and each player will return to novice status.

tl;dr: Seems a lot like a CYA reason.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It appears (in via bits and pieces of information here and there) they DO have a plan of testing and such up to release, however at the current point in time, I believe it is very likely the schedule will have to be extended, due to the various bugs and exploits floating around.
  • Options
    baaddarebaaddare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IMO, the game stays in OB about a week or two before launch. This is so there is a fallback should a full wipe be required, namely, section 16 of ToS. As long as the game is declared in a "beta state"(and therefore still in testing), that clause applies. Once the game is declared by PWE to be officially live (yes, they DO make announcements for this sort of thing), then the beta testing clause of ToS no longer applies.

Specifically, this:

tl;dr: Seems a lot like a CYA reason.

the problem with that logic is the current cash shop. They would have to refund not just the zen but the actual real dollars spent purchasing the zen ( does not include zen purchased with AD) As an example GW2 announced during beta that any money spent in the cash shop would be refunded prior to launch as they wanted to test the cash shop and the purchasing procedures. PWE/Cryptic have not made such an announcement.
    "Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!!!"
  • Options
    sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game is released, you won't notice any difference. They are just keeping the beta tag on the name because they know there are bugs. But besides having it on the name, the game is as any other game called released.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    baaddare wrote: »
    the problem with that logic is the current cash shop. They would have to refund not just the zen but the actual real dollars spent purchasing the zen ( does not include zen purchased with AD) As an example GW2 announced during beta that any money spent in the cash shop would be refunded prior to launch as they wanted to test the cash shop and the purchasing procedures. PWE/Cryptic have not made such an announcement.

I doubt they'd have to refund the actual money, as they would more than likely track all transactions made within the current time frame that the servers have been open and simply return that to the players' wallets. That seems like the more likely scenario in that event.

At this point, though, a full wipe would be something on the order of an absolute last resort measure.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    silverreyvatielsilverreyvatiel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The longer it takes them to go from Open Beta to Live Release the better the game will be as a whole cause they can make sure that everything is done, all the races, classes, areas, quests, frankly I would love to see an evil side with a city, and quests for that side, for those of us who want to play an evil character, like Drow, or what ever else there is.
  • Options
    lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Only time will tell........(thats why i never spend money for games in any type of beta)
    The truth is i have enjoyed playing NW as a free game.........................................
    & i will spend money 2buy things only if they add more classes, increase L60cap, add more craft, better guild stuff etc etc.....
    Then i will give them my money..................
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ambi is on it. Actually Lead Producer Andy Velasquez spoke on thus very recently in his state of the game:

"Speaking of testing, as we progress through OBT and near the official live launch, we'll be standing up a Public Test Shard or PTS. That way we can make "Wild West" changes on there and ensure that only quality fixes make it into the OBT. To those who have played our other games, you probably know that this is one of the main ways that we fix bugs, collect feedback, and stress test our games before the content goes to the live servers." - Andy Velasquez.

That sounds like to me that the official live launch will be done with quite a bit of fanfare... when and only when CRYPTIC feels ready.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!