test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ultimate Game Cards, Canadians Beware (possibly anyone else)

ruex128ruex128 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
BE AWARE you still get taxed on a 20 dollar card as a service fee, you aren't really getting a 15% bonus with ultimate game cards service fee ( in canada anyways)

if you spend 20 dollars on a game card you aren't getting your moneys worth you'll be asked at the checkout for $21.77.
Post edited by ruex128 on

Comments

• joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    Ehm, and do you know the reason for this ? (Do they add tax , vat ? something else ?) Might clear up your post more.
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    In Canada, we get taxed everytime we so much as pass wind. I can't see how this is in any way a flaw with Cryptic or PWE.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • ruex128ruex128 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No i don't know the reason for this, I wasn't taxed at the store for the game card, you're never taxed at the store for pw cards so I bought this one thinking I was going to get my 20 dollars, once you get at the checkout they want an extra $1.77 which means I had to buy a $5 dollar card online to get my $20 dollar purchase, which was 2300 zen. It I would have ended up with more zen had I bought 2500 zen using my credit card or paypal. SO really this ultimate game card deal is bogus.

It also apparently happens to american users as well with the ultimate game card. PW cards don't tax at checkout.
    edited June 2013
    Its not a flaw to PWE or Cryptic, its a flaw with ultimate game card, purchase one and find out.

it allows you to change your country at the checkout, switching it to united states makes it 1.66 lol

so there you go.
  • czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really can't see how you can blame taxes on PWE. That simply does not compute.
    edited June 2013
    Did I say that? no I'm warning everyone else and its a ultimate game card service tax, I'm warning other people buying the **** card that might make the same mistake. cool for the 15% bonus, but its better to buy it straight from pw
  • czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    if your country/state has a sales tax you pay sales tax on things you buy. Are there really people who don't already know this?
    edited June 2013
    you really don't know how game cards work then... you're just trying to argue....
    edited June 2013
    I don't normally purchase game cards, are you saying that they are normally not subjected to taxes? I find that hard to believe.
    edited June 2013
    Exactly, you buy any game card anywhere you don't get taxed, you pay 20 bucks for the card no gst no pst no hst its 20 bucks. and you get 20 dollars worth of zen or whatever from other game cards I've dealt with like nexon., This is the first time on a "game card" I have ever had to pay tax on. As I said I didn't get taxed at the store I bought the **** Ultimate game card, its only redeeming it that it decides to tell you you can't use that 20 dollar game card without purchasing another 5 dollar game card to pay their service tax I guess they're calling it so you have bonus ultimate game card points left over... its a scam.
    edited June 2013
    ruex128 wrote: »
    Exactly, you buy any game card anywhere you don't get taxed, you pay 20 bucks for the card no gst no pst no hst its 20 bucks. and you get 20 dollars worth of zen or whatever from other game cards I've dealt with like nexon., This is the first time on a "game card" I have ever had to pay tax on.

Fair enough, although my guess is the problem still lies with your government, not the company.
    edited June 2013
    google it, you'll see numerous people from different countries complaining about it. This forum topic is to soley tell people that buying zen straight from pw is better because you won't get a 15% bonus without having to pay more to the ultimate game card company. Its better to buy straight from PW.

PW cards do not charge a service fee.
  • mistriosumistriosu Member Posts: 279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Long live Montana! A state without sales tax!
  • void2487void2487 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mistriosu wrote: »
    Long live Montana! A state without sales tax!

And nothing else of note.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's called exchange rate and taxes. It is the same thing when using your credit card online up here in Canada. I have used my credit card to make in game purchases and get nailed with the exchange rate and taxes so I always have to put more on my card to cover those extra charges.
  • bellaralodunbellaralodun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with OP. Typically you pay a flat fee for the card, say 20$.. and that is it... taxes are included in that 20$. With this card.. you end up paying the 20$ + the taxes. I really hope people understand that.
  • theiustheius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My friend and myself who live in 2 separate states both bought game cards. His state has no tax and mine does. I used my 20 dollar card with no problems what so ever. 2300 zen no need to buy an extra card to cover any sort of tax.
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Exactly, you buy any game card anywhere you don't get taxed, you pay 20 bucks for the card no gst no pst no hst its 20 bucks.

I've bought game cards on several occassions. I've been taxed every single time.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • kallethenkallethen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just to figure out some math here:

Straight from PWE: $20 for 2000 Zen = $1 per 100 Zen
    UGC w/ tax and promo: $21.77 for 2000 Zen + 300 bonus Zen = @ $1 oer 105.65 Zen

Result: You are still doing better with the promotion to purchase the UGC with the tax than just PWE since the promotion is only with UGC cards. If there was no promotion, or the Zen promotion included other methods of payment, or your sales tax is more than 15%, then it would be better to purchase straight from PWE.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bilbobragginsbilbobraggins Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    google it, you'll see numerous people from different countries complaining about it. This forum topic is to soley tell people that buying zen straight from pw is better because you won't get a 15% bonus without having to pay more to the ultimate game card company. Its better to buy straight from PW.

PW cards do not charge a service fee.
    You can use the game card to buy from PW. You never ever need to go to the third party website. There is an option right there on the PW buy zen page to use the game card.
    edited June 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    Just to figure out some math here:

Straight from PWE: $20 for 2000 Zen = $1 per 100 Zen
    UGC w/ tax and promo: $21.77 for 2000 Zen + 300 bonus Zen = @ $1 oer 105.65 Zen

Result: You are still doing better with the promotion to purchase the UGC with the tax than just PWE since the promotion is only with UGC cards. If there was no promotion, or the Zen promotion included other methods of payment, or your sales tax is more than 15%, then it would be better to purchase straight from PWE.

There is no tax for the US. If you use the card to buy 50 bucks worth of zen you get 6050 zen.
  • extix66extix66 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    czarkazm wrote: »
    I don't normally purchase game cards, are you saying that they are normally not subjected to taxes? I find that hard to believe.

any time i buy a playstaion card or xbox card i never had to pay anything but what the card says in the corner i never bought the random game cards tho but does kinda push me away from it if i do have to pay xtra for really nothing
  • rizoguerizogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You're paying for your Free Health Care System. ;)

This doesn't quite make up for our over-inflated US Medical Insurance, and physicians who are so terrified of malpractice suits that they have to charge $60 for Tylenol, and we end up with multi-thousand dollar medical bills any time we are unfortunate enough to end up in an American hospital. Figure all that in your math, I dare ya. ;)

Rizogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join our Neverwinter Discussions: http://www.menzoberranzan.net
    Now Recruiting - All races and classes! Menzoberranzan Guild Recruitment
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I bought couple of these cards at GameStop before. They are not taxed. Straight $20 in cash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kallethenkallethen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is no tax for the US. If you use the card to buy 50 bucks worth of zen you get 6050 zen.

I was more trying to address the original poster. But yes, I'm from the US and I didn't get taxed on my card.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • vikoonvikoon Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rizogue wrote: »
    You're paying for your Free Health Care System. ;)

This doesn't quite make up for our over-inflated US Medical Insurance, and physicians who are so terrified of malpractice suits that they have to charge $60 for Tylenol, and we end up with multi-thousand dollar medical bills any time we are unfortunate enough to end up in an American hospital. Figure all that in your math, I dare ya. ;)

Rizogue

It's not Canada's fault that the U.S. doesn't give a you know what about their tax payers. I mean if you really break it down, that is all we are to the government anyways no matter where you live. And it isn't all roses up here in the great white north either. We are literally taxed to death, (Especially in Ontario) but that is a separate issue.

The fact we get taxed on these cards is just nuts, and yet I am not surprised.
    edited June 2013
    I'm not saying you get taxed at the retailer you buy the card from. You get taxed by UGC itself at the UGC check out. For example, I go into the store I buy a $20.00 card and am not taxed for it, then i go to redeem said card on the pw website by pressing UGC and it ask's how much zen I want, I press 2000 zen and then it brings me to the area where I have to enter the UGC pin, after entering the pin it'll ask for an extra 1.77, long and behold my $20 game card that I bought is not worth the 20 dollars I paid for to get my 2000 points i have to use a 5 dollar UGC game card online to make up the difference. You don't get a 15% bonus that way because you're left with 3.77 you can't use unless you bought another game card and still there would be money left over. I have to pay 21.77 for 2300 zen instead I could have bought 2500 of zen for $25.00.
    edited June 2013
    I'm not saying you get taxed at the retailer you buy the card from. You get taxed by UGC itself at the UGC check out. For example, I go into the store I buy a $20.00 card and am not taxed for it, then i go to redeem said card on the pw website by pressing UGC and it ask's how much zen I want, I press 2000 zen and then it brings me to the area where I have to enter the UGC pin, after entering the pin it'll ask for an extra 1.77, long and behold my $20 game card that I bought is not worth the 20 dollars I paid for to get my 2000 points i have to use a 5 dollar UGC game card online to make up the difference. You don't get a 15% bonus that way because you're left with 3.77 you can't use unless you bought another game card and still there would be money left over. I have to pay 21.77 for 2300 zen instead I could have bought 2500 of zen for $25.00.

ZOMG you don't get it. You don't have to use the UGC site. The freaking perfect world site has an option to directly use the UGC card. It was USER ERROR if you went directly to the UGC site. This is definitely not the case for US redemptions as I redeemed 100 bucks worth of cards for full bonus and additional bonus.
    edited June 2013
    You start out on this page when you choose to buy zen:

sDLc6EE.gif

Then after you click the UGC you go to this:

XpDL1bM.gif

Then when you click the amount you get this:
    q2bovjN.gif

Then when you hit checkout you go right to this:

BNAW5UE.gif

Now I didn't screen shot entering the codes earlier but at this point I got the zen it states on the top of the screen for 50 dollars. If you didn't its something with your locality which perhaps they didn't make you aware of. Or you used the Ultimate Game Card site itself which certainly does look like it will charge you extra.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    czarkazm wrote: »
    if your country/state has a sales tax you pay sales tax on things you buy. Are there really people who don't already know this?

Why act surprised? Not even the stores themselves seem to know. For example I have several stores in my town that sell cards for different games. All within a few blocks of each other. Some of them tax cards, others don't. One store taxes some cards, but not others. lol

Once I'm sure the issue with the bonus is cleared up then I'll check around and see if I can find one that doesn't tax these cards. If not, then its cheaper to just buy the zen from PW. No tax when buying from their website.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
This discussion has been closed.