test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dynamic Light limit?

watever2watever2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Is there a Dynamic Light limit? I know there is the 1500 Detail limit but I have done a cave room with quite a few lights and now every time I try to place a new one the light does not appear.
Post edited by watever2 on

Comments

• havoclhavocl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited June 2013
    Use static lights. If there're too many dynamic lights in one spot, some of them will not show up.
    Conflict between sworn enemies (NWS-DB3HIQPRH) by Havoc988 :
    It started with a burglary
    Then it got friendly
    But it ended badly
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    havocl wrote: »
    Use static lights. If there're too many dynamic lights in one spot, some of them will not show up.
    Bingo, static lights are there for a reason. If you look in the game options under video, the limit is 2 by the way (two overlapping lightspheres, not two per area).
  • duskdweller78duskdweller78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't think any graphic engine will be able to render more than 8 dynamic lights at the same time.
    Campaign:Different Seasons
    Author: @BardicKnowledge
    Q1: Prologue - The Lady and the Worm NW-DPQPJSVTH
    Tags: #Challenge, #Story, #Solo, #Group
  • watever2watever2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought they were static lights as they disappear when you move them in 3d. Why do they disappear if they are real time lights?
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    watever2 wrote: »
    I thought they were static lights as they disappear when you move them in 3d. Why do they disappear if they are real time lights?
    They are there, but the graphics engine is not displaying them most likely because you have too many overlapping dynamic lights.
    edited June 2013
    They are there, but the graphics engine is not displaying them most likely because you have too many overlapping dynamic lights.
    I actually thought they were the static lights (ie not shadow emitting real times) I have gone through and changed them to static lights. Lol
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Most of the effect-type objects turn off when you start moving them around. Got to exit back out of 3d edit mode in order for all the effects and clipping planes to be restored.
  • nezroy123nezroy123 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually thought they were the static lights (ie not shadow emitting real times) I have gone through and changed them to static lights. Lol

Note that using static lighting is not, necessarily, a better/more optimal choice. I'm not sure where but there was a good description about the engine-specifc details between the two that I will try to locate. Essentially there are important considerations about how the types of lighting affect whether object instances can be re-used or have to be duplicated in the rendering pipeline, which affects overall memory footprint and performance.

EDIT: The info is on pp 24-25 of gillrmn's foundry manual, part 4 -- http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?137101
    Quests: Fate of the Bonnie Kate (NW-DE6K6H63Q)
    edited June 2013
    nezroy123 wrote: »
    Note that using static lighting is not, necessarily, a better/more optimal choice. I'm not sure where but there was a good description about the engine-specifc details between the two that I will try to locate. Essentially there are important considerations about how the types of lighting affect whether object instances can be re-used or have to be duplicated in the rendering pipeline, which affects overall memory footprint, etc.
    I have used 3d editors/software for over 20 years and the way understand them is that Static lights are pre rendered and so moving them real time has no effect until a redraw. Dynamic lights are real time and can be moved without a redraw but use more juice. Is that right? I use real time lights when I need real time shadows but try to limit to about 4/5 a scene.
    Anywho thnx for input I think Duskdweller78 is right and theres a limit to about 8 "Dynamic" lights in a scene as thats about how many I thought were "Static" lights. :)
  • nezroy123nezroy123 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have used 3d editors/software for over 20 years and the way understand them is that Static lights are pre rendered and so moving them real time has no effect until a redraw. Dynamic lights are real time and can be moved without a redraw but use more juice. Is that right? I use real time lights when I need real time shadows but try to limit to about 4/5 a scene.
    Anywho thnx for input I think Duskdweller78 is right and theres a limit to about 8 "Dynamic" lights in a scene as thats about how many I thought were "Static" lights. :)

All lights, FX, and a few other things disappear when moved in the NW 3D editing mode until the full redraw/switch back to non-editing mode. Whether it is a dynamic light or a static light not does not change this as far as I've noticed.
    Quests: Fate of the Bonnie Kate (NW-DE6K6H63Q)
    edited June 2013
    nezroy123 wrote: »
    All lights, FX, and a few other things disappear when moved in the NW 3D editing mode until the full redraw/switch back to non-editing mode. Whether it is a dynamic light or a static light not does not change this as far as I've noticed.
    That's why I was confused, most other programs keep real time lights....... well real time.