test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

There IS no room for RP in this game.

jgwentworth4jgwentworth4 Member Posts: 33
edited August 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
I figured I would make a post, since it is sad to see there is no room for RP in this game.

If you want RP, LOTRO, or even the original NwN, or NwN 2 have MANY servers for it, and are better equipped.

Why is there no room for RP here you say?

hMM lets see..No player housing. NO guild housing. ( AND NO THEY DONT INTEND ON PUTTING IT IN)

NO Novelty Items, ( except the fireworks, and maybe wedding clothes)

No food, drinks, etc. No kind of player music system (like LOTRO and other MMos had)

FUlly instanced game, full of mindless banter.

Ya, ok try and "roleplay" like you are in Faeurn. Hmm People running around in the city, with Spider mounts? Drow loose in the civilized world? Casting all kinds of spells? Brandishing weapons? HAHA please.

Now I am not saying I dont enjoy this game, because I do.

BUT If you come here hoping for a D&D adventure, where you can RP your charectar, and live out a "life" and a "story" as your favorite halfling, Elf, or what not, you will be SORELY disaapointed.

IF you take this game for what it IS. ( A HIGHLY instanced, full on themepark MMO, comabt frenzied game) Then you may enjoy it.

The game plays ALOT like DCUO, with the quees, the "tokens" the "gearscore" etc SO, if you didnt like DCUO, chances are, you wont like this.

Hate when people compare this to WoW. it is NOTHING like WoW, or LOTRO, or any "true MMO", This is full on themepark, enjoy the ride, or go home.

That is all.
Post edited by jgwentworth4 on

Comments

• Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi. I agree that the game needs a WHOLE lot more RP elements on it. But it would be great if we gave it a little more time, since this is a fairly new game after all and has a lot of potential. I also fervently wish that we get guild houses/areas, or more friendly areas other than Protector's Enclave. I like the Enclave and all but it gets pretty tiring at times that the only true non-combat zone for players in the game is the Enclave.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hMM lets see..No player housing. NO guild housing. ( AND NO THEY DONT INTEND ON PUTTING IT IN)

The Devs already stated in several posts that they will support options for Guild housing (possibly through Foundry).
    NO Novelty Items, ( except the fireworks, and maybe wedding clothes)

Well, it's Beta, so it's reasonable that there is not many fluff options yet. You could also suggest which kind of Novelty items you deem necesary for your RP needs.
    FUlly instanced game, full of mindless banter.

Instancing will end up being the best option if further Foundry expansions give RP guilds option to design towns, scenarios, etc. Think of it as private NwN servers. It will prevent intruding from griefers and trolls to ruin the experience.
    Ya, ok try and "roleplay" like you are in Faeurn. Hmm People running around in the city, with Spider mounts? Drow loose in the civilized world? Casting all kinds of spells? Brandishing weapons? HAHA please.

Someone still thinks this is 3rd edition, lore for 4th edition has a different approach for Drow. It's been a century since the War of the Spider Queen and many things have happened (incluiding an Exodus from the Dark Elves to the surface, colonies of neutral Drow starting to live in the North, yadda yadda).
    Now I am not saying I dont enjoy this game, because I do.

BUT If you come here hoping for a D&D adventure, where you can RP your charectar, and live out a "life" and a "story" as your favorite halfling, Elf, or what not, you will be SORELY disaapointed.

IF you take this game for what it IS. ( A HIGHLY instanced, full on themepark MMO, comabt frenzied game) Then you may enjoy it.

The game plays ALOT like DCUO, with the quees, the "tokens" the "gearscore" etc SO, if you didnt like DCUO, chances are, you wont like this.

Hate when people compare this to WoW. it is NOTHING like WoW, or LOTRO, or any "true MMO", This is full on themepark, enjoy the ride, or go home.

That is all.

This game isn't ideal for RP, but NwN wasn't either. The only reason it supports RP nowadays is because of all the modding the RP community has. I trust that the Devs will be smart here and they will support Foundry enhancements to allow the RP community to develop their own things and enjoy the game. They can charge them for Foundry perks, fashion items, Dyes, etc. Though it's also a risky option (from my experience, RP isn't profitable as many RPers don't want to spend a dime in their games - I don't know about how Americans see this, however. I'm merely talking from the European perspective -).
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    jgwentworth4jgwentworth4 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    WEll the "moonstone Mask" is (while a part of it) a seperate area from Protectors Enclave. It is a different instance and all.

But, as far as player housing..I woulndt hold your breath. SAme with guild housing. Even then will be instanced of course.. ( LOTRO did the same thing too..dissapointing)

But ya..its just not a RP friendly game. WHich is funny, it being a D& D game.

Really lets face it. PW, got the rights to it with Cryptic, and they are capitilzing on the name.

Look how many "Star Wars" merchandise is out there..and now owned by Disney. haha U think they REALLY care about the fans?
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think that being negative and just crying out loud that this game doesn't meet your expectations (when I was told this was an MMO I wasn't expecting NwN 3, honestly) isn't going to help you a lot.

You can either stick here and try to improve things, for instance, promoting RP events so that people may have a reason to RP with you and taking them to "hidden" instances or zones.

Or you can keep on ranting, leave and come back here 1 year later. The worst thing that can happen is that you're right and well, you haven't wasted your time. Or someone else enjoyed the improvements and you can come back to pick up the spoils of what someone else did.
    Characters:

• Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the unofficial rp server is mindflayer and moonstone mask is the best we got for rp bars at the moment but be warned
    1 its a brothel and people love to keep remining people who try to treat it like a club/tavern ect.
    2 the npcs seem determinined to try to knock you out of your seats you have to spend 20 minutes positioning in cause there is no /e sitchair
    3 thanks to the zoomout im often stuck not being able to see anyone unless I stick near a wall or under an arch
    4 half of the 2nd floor is devoted to the VIP lounge
    5 its full of rp griefers
    6 thanks to how the chat tabs/chat bubbles are it can be very hard to follow the rp/or tell the difference between pc and npc chat bubbles
    7 most people are wearing the same outfit
    8. did I mention its a brothel

I can only hope some of this will be solved with time. most people just rp with their guilds and in foundry missions ive heard.
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    The Foundry is the saving grace for RPing in Neverwinter. Without it things would be much worse. DMs can literally run adventures within Neverwinter for his group using the Foundry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nam19772nam19772 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't met a single rper since the beginning of open beta on Beholder. Not that I'm always in the mood to speak IC, of course. Well to tell the truth I've mostly been soloing the game so far. But when I team up for whatever reason, it looks like talking IC somehow forces people to answer "lol" only.
    It seems people just flock to Moonstone for rp, but I don't find standing there and pretending crazy stories are happening a very appealing activity.
    To me, roleplay is a way to enhance my immersion and thus my enjoyement of a game, not some sort of activity that is incompatible with all the other things to do.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If someone is in dire need of RPing I can help, just add me and we can play! Lately I'm with Rowanne, my DC, but I also plan to pick often my TR. I'm on Mindflayer, by the way.
    Characters:

• Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    nam19772 wrote: »
    I haven't met a single rper since the beginning of open beta on Beholder. Not that I'm always in the mood to speak IC, of course. Well to tell the truth I've mostly been soloing the game so far. But when I team up for whatever reason, it looks like talking IC somehow forces people to answer "lol" only.
    It seems people just flock to Moonstone for rp, but I don't find standing there and pretending crazy stories are happening a very appealing activity.
    To me, roleplay is a way to enhance my immersion and thus my enjoyement of a game, not some sort of activity that is incompatible with all the other things to do.

Mindflayer is the unofficial rp server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starrz7777starrz7777 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    id love to join a good RP guild, im brand new to the game but a very exp RPer,

I am Amirei the Knife-Ear on Mindflayer
  • Options
    smokey158smokey158 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't worry, its still open beta and they may add some features geared for RP
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    I trust that the Devs will be smart here and they will support Foundry enhancements to allow the RP community to develop their own things and enjoy the game. They can charge them for Foundry perks, fashion items, Dyes, etc. Though it's also a risky option (from my experience, RP isn't profitable as many RPers don't want to spend a dime in their games - I don't know about how Americans see this, however. I'm merely talking from the European perspective -).

Wow, my experience has been pretty much the opposite - back when I played CoH the biggest spenders WERE the RPers, the moment a new costume piece (or set) appeared in the store they would buy it.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    mariposallamariposalla Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, I haven't seen an MMO where the majority of the community is composed of roleplayers. We tend to be a small, tightly knit part of the community that simply has a different gaming style. It takes a lot of proactive action to find roleplayers and join their storytelling community because it's rarely ever "in your face." I generally start by looking at the forums where roleplayers advertise themselves or look up guilds. After that, we do some roleplay sessions, find good places to roleplay, and that is generally my most successful approach on any MMO.

I'm also glad that people have mentioned the Foundry--if you take a long look at available quests, you will find areas created specifically for roleplaying, and they're actually quite enjoyable. I've already made such an area myself for people like me, who want a creative, troll free environment to enjoy with friends and their guild. These, to me, trump the guild areas I've seen, as they have almost unlimited possibility for not only creating the perfect hangout, but entire quests and stories that you can enjoy (and that also give xp and treasure. Woo!)

I agree that we need some flippin' "sit on chair" emotes, but we're certainly not without entertaining ones already. They have at least four different dance emotes, and while much of the armor is the same, this is beta and they went to the trouble of giving us highly customizable dyes for clothing. I hope that the fashion items will expand with different clothing for peasants and nobles and such, but I'm happy with what I have. You always need a measure of imagination in roleplay, anyways.

And, sadly, any place on an MMO where roleplayers gather is bound to be full of trolls and brothel-like atmospheres. WoW certainly holds true for that, and if you don't believe me, just remember Goldshire. We tend to do better in isolated groups, occasionally skimming hubs of activity (like the Moonstone Mask) to meet and greet other roleplayers. It allows for more lore immersion and less interruption between character conversation. It would be nice to have a shard or city area where everyone was always IC, but that's an expectation you have to put on players and the way the community wants to play, not the game makers. You can always find your own group of roleplayers and ignore the out of character stuff going on around you.

Finally, I agree with steppenkat about supporting what you can on Neverwinter. This is actually the first MMO I've seen with its own official roleplay site attached to the main one (more or less). There are also a lot of separate guild sites who have spent a great deal of resources to provide a forum area for their roleplay. If you don't believe me, you really need to see Neverwinter Roleplayers, a hub of activity for people searching for roleplay guilds and groups. They really need more people organizing and participating in roleplay events in-game, and by being part of that, you can bring the game closer to being a more open hub for people just like you.
  • Options
    notsosweetnessnotsosweetness Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nam19772 wrote: »

Blinks hearing almost her life so far spoken of. Looks over to double check the name in case she herself had said this in her sleep.

nam196772, you just describe my life on Dragon shard pretty much so far. Although at lvl 50 I have ran everything solo. -grins- And I have spent many hours standing here pretending all kinds of crazy things are happening.

I heard someone mention something about a 'RP' chat tab so I looked for it last night. Didn't find anything so maybe I misunderstood. So far I really had not expected this world to be much on RP. DDO wasn't, least for me. So I had not expected much. It would be nice to see some. Especially in running a quest/dungeon. It would be nice to 'live' the adventure instead of 'Wow...we got that done in under 5 minutes. Next...'
  • Options
    s32ialxs32ialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think anyone else has mentioned this but if you open the foundry and search camp, indoor or role play you can get many private RP maps. Indoor RP Map is pretty decent it has a Location Hub from there you can get to:

A Noble House (With and Without Staff)
    A Simple House
    A Royal Crypt Room
    A Dark Dungeon for Grim Rituals
    A Tavern (With staff and Patrons)
    An Inn (With Staff and Patrons)
    A Wizards Sanctuary

It Includes NO Story, No Combat, No Puzzles, No Adventure and No Meaningful Dialogue. perfect for your role playing desire WHAT ever that may be. :p:o

All are privately instanced so only You and those who are in your party can see and hear each other.

Also A Quick Search there is
    'A Role Player's Home'
    'Camping! (RP)' Which includes 4 different campsites for your RP Needs what ever they MIGHT be.
    'Tindara's Tavern (Made for Mostly RP with some combat if you choose)'
    'Laersect's House (RP MAP)'

the list continues... just do a search man come on.
  • Options
    faelianfairwindfaelianfairwind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Mariposalla ~ Thank you for posting that link -- I had no idea about that page.

I'm just so glad to know there really are other RP'ers out there in this game... It has been a very quiet 38 levels so far. I really *really* need to take a deep breath and jump into the whole Foundry thing and see what's there -- it has intimidated me up to now.
    At this point, if I could just find even a semi-RP guild on Mindflayer, one that isn't hopelessly devoted to immersion-wrecking voice chat, I'd be happy!
  • Options
    melhowradmelhowrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think you need to focus on making RP for yourself and finding friends to do it with. The game just came out and is going to do really well and develop in time. Which means more fashion content, etc...

Go on the official Neverwinter Rp Enjin page and you will see that people are having a great time RP-ing.
    http://www.neverwinter-rp.com/

Yes, the chat is hard to follow, but I think it is because EVERYONE goes into the Moonstone to RP, and with everyone RP-ing at the same time (which is a good thing) its hard to follow. Maybe if people start going out in different areas to RP then it wont be as bad. There are SO many other places to go RP at too, it just takes people to make the decision to go there and do it.

This can be achieved by making events, and letting people know! If you build it, they will come basically. Once PW starts seeing that there is a RP community growing they will focus on adding new content. Also from my experience, RPers are the ones buying the Fluff content on MMO's. A good example can be found in Tera for that believe me.

Maybe start taking a initiative to create a RP community (its a new game, so it has to be done) is what you should be doing, instead of waiting for the game to just give it to you.
  • Options
    blitterpongblitterpong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I know your pain. Can't even play in a party without some 13 yr screaming about loot or GS or totally bypassing content and mobs to just get the "phat loots". Hell, my deity isn't even on the list. Really sad because Faeurn is in my mind the best fantasy world out there and this mmo ****s on it. I just wanted some epic adventures and to make some friends along the way and I feel like I can't do that here. The foundry and game play are the only thing that keeps me playing sometimes.
    [SIGPIC]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/keuven/ghettosig2-2.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Strive ceaselessly to dominate your environment.

Be merciless in the execution of your duties, and show no pity to the weak.

Respect tradition and authority.
  • Options
    metakismetakis Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the unofficial rp server is mindflayer and moonstone mask is the best we got for rp bars at the moment but be warned
    1 its a brothel and people love to keep remining people who try to treat it like a club/tavern ect.
    2 the npcs seem determinined to try to knock you out of your seats you have to spend 20 minutes positioning in cause there is no /e sitchair
    3 thanks to the zoomout im often stuck not being able to see anyone unless I stick near a wall or under an arch
    4 half of the 2nd floor is devoted to the VIP lounge
    5 its full of rp griefers
    6 thanks to how the chat tabs/chat bubbles are it can be very hard to follow the rp/or tell the difference between pc and npc chat bubbles
    7 most people are wearing the same outfit
    8. did I mention its a brothel

I can only hope some of this will be solved with time. most people just rp with their guilds and in foundry missions ive heard.

Hello, hello. Sorry to be off-topic, but I wanted to comment on the Moonstone Mask thing - Now keep in mind, I've not (as of yet) played this MMO (I have however, played the first and second NWN games to death) - but last time I checked, in the canon, the Moonstone Mask was no longer a brothel. If I'm not mistaken, in the first NWN game (Diamond, I believe), it WAS a brothel, but as of NWN2 (Platinum?) it was redefined as a more refined place built to market privacy instead of harlotry. And I do believe NWN (the older games) were canonical. Does that mean that this NWN MMO does not follow the canon? In addition, this wiki article refers to the Moonstone Mask as a
    "tavern".

(( Woot-woot, first post! ))
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    metakis wrote: »
    Hello, hello. Sorry to be off-topic, but I wanted to comment on the Moonstone Mask thing - Now keep in mind, I've not (as of yet) played this MMO (I have however, played the first and second NWN games to death) - but last time I checked, in the canon, the Moonstone Mask was no longer a brothel. If I'm not mistaken, in the first NWN game (Diamond, I believe), it WAS a brothel, but as of NWN2 (Platinum?) it was redefined as a more refined place built to market privacy instead of harlotry. And I do believe NWN (the older games) were canonical. Does that mean that this NWN MMO does not follow the canon? In addition, this wiki article refers to the Moonstone Mask as a "tavern".

(( Woot-woot, first post! ))
    The employees beckoning you to it are named "courtesan", and while that could mean a courtier, the Moonstone Mask is not the court of Neverwinter.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    *the mage opens a portal to the Neverdeath Graveyard and watches as a Priest of Kelemvor walks through, vanquishes the undead creature and then hauls the body back through the portal*
    zebular wrote: »
    Section III - Prohibited Topics/Posts

Rule 3.13 - No Necromancy
    . . . . If a thread has not been posted on in over thirty days, it likely contains out of date information or opinions. If you would like to continue such a discussion, please create a new thread to do so, or find an existing "living" one.
This discussion has been closed.