test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chinglishtv - My Thoughts on pvp Video youtube

xxxpanda9lcxxxpanda9lc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxAd7glYk5U&list=UUx4xIBO030fxnAspCyF2OYw&index=1

Hey guys I just wanted to post this and keep in mind this is just my opinion hopefully a few people see it and have a think about everything i'm saying :D

Again I love neverwinter and i hope it continues to grow but I think a few changes could really help
Twitch.tv/chinglishtv
Post edited by xxxpanda9lc on

Comments

• Options
    bestcarrynabestcarryna Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2013
    nice review, i just have a couple disagreements with it. i personally believe it's too early in the game to judge rogues on their burst damage, of course rogues are going to be dominant in pug games.. it's a pug game, people are running around in t1 armor getting 1 shotted. i feel like pvp in any game should always be balanced around the high-end tier, have you been up against geared premades that run 2 clerics and 1 GF? without the rogues burst what other striker class out there do you think can put a dent on their health bars, coordinated teams will run trains on a rogue in a team fight. reason being is that rogue's are the only class without any HARD CC, and everyone knows that coordinated CC is KING in high-end pvp.

taking away the burst from rogues is a very bad idea.
    Kaenerys - Mindflayer - TR
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Saying that the Rogue's burst capabilities need to be toned down is not the same as saying their burst capabilities need to be taken away entirely. Rogues would still be an effective burst class if the damage of both Lashing Blade and Shocking Execution was adjusted.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It only seems like rogues are overpowered because people aren't geared up and haven't mastered play yet.

As I have gotten my cleric more geared up and properly spec'd, rogues have gone from the biggest terror to the 2nd biggest joke (GWF is still first!). They are no longer one-shotting me and since they don't seem to have a way to knock me out of my astral shield they are starting to really struggle against me.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    Saying that the Rogue's burst capabilities need to be toned down is not the same as saying their burst capabilities need to be taken away entirely. Rogues would still be an effective burst class if the damage of both Lashing Blade and Shocking Execution was adjusted.

-Travail.

Everyone's burst dmg needs to be reduced.

CW/Rogue are perceived (or may be) OP because the TTK is ridiculously low and it favors them a lot.

Also that long dubstep intro almost turned me away from the video haha.

I do agree with most of what you said, I keep saying dmg needs to be lowered ESPECIALLY on CW (was my first class to 60 and so I know for sure) and mitigation debuffs are a huge culprit for this. And I liked that you werent saying "NERF CC" like everyone else and recognize CW is supposed to be a kiting/CC class and not a blowyourload-pompyromage.

I was afraid you'd be biased too but you're not which is refreshing (most good/serious pvp'ers aren't).

I really think dmg and healing is supposed to be HALVED but is currently bugged or something, instead it only affects you from levels x4-x8 (24-38/34-38/etc) which is what people are reporting.

Think about it, if all dmg/healing was halved? The game would probably be just right as it is. Also I do think armor pen and mitigation debuffs a bit too strong honestly (and things like SE ignoring everything, that's only really bad because, again, dmg in general).
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    Think about it, if all dmg/healing was halved?
    My cleric would be immortal. You'd have to halve damage mitigation too, and other stuff too. And no matter what you did, defensive classes would gain a synergistic benefit and become unkillable.
    I think the game is more balanced than people realize; right now combat is fast and furious--nerfing things very much could make combat stalemate.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    My cleric would be immortal. You'd have to halve damage mitigation too, and other stuff too. And no matter what you did, defensive classes would gain a synergistic benefit and become unkillable.
    I think the game is more balanced than people realize; right now combat is fast and furious--nerfing things very much could make combat stalemate.

That's not how it works, damage reduction is %.

50% dmg reduction against 100 dmg and a heal of 200?

50 dmg and a heal of 100.

50% reduction against 50 dmg and a heal of 100.

25 and a heal of 50.

All this does is double the TTK w/o doubling people's health pools (which a lot of things proc/scale from).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    travail01 wrote: »

-Travail.

Actually, toning down rogues burst is equivalent to TAKING it away, it would be a squishy punching bag with no real hard CC and barely any damage mitigation unless you use a encounter slot for impossible to catch, and i assume most rogues use shadow strike to regain stealth, plus a burst skill like lashing blade, you would only be doing mediocore damage every 20 seconds. With that type of encounter power set up your AP gain would be extremely extremely slow. That would ruin the class more than you'd believe. Please play a rogue before you make such claims.
  • Options
    hardc0reyhardc0rey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't mine lashing blade and shocking execution being toned down since i've managed to be very successful in pvp without either of them in my most recent build to change things up a little.
    Hardcorey
    Dorks with Tranquilizers
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Actually, toning down rogues burst is equivalent to TAKING it away, it would be a squishy punching bag with no real hard CC and barely any damage mitigation unless you use a encounter slot for impossible to catch, and i assume most rogues use shadow strike to regain stealth, plus a burst skill like lashing blade, you would only be doing mediocore damage every 20 seconds. With that type of encounter power set up your AP gain would be extremely extremely slow. That would ruin the class more than you'd believe. Please play a rogue before you make such claims.

Making it so something no longer one shots, but now does half your health is still burst...
  • Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    unless you use a encounter slot for impossible to catch

Yeah, why not take the single best encounter that rogues have?
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • Options
    oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited June 2013
    Good video, and I agreed with everything you said.

The gameplay here is terrific, but there is an awful lot of balancing and content-building between where NW is now and where it needs to be.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Right, I disagree with you so I must not play a Rogue.

If you used Shadow Strike, Impossible to Catch, and Lashing Blade, it is possible that you would deal mediocre damage after a nerf to the damage output of Lashing Blade. I can't say that this is beyond the realm of possibility. Of course, you can't claim with any sort of authority that it would definitely be the case, but I can't stop you from being presumptuous.

Even if it were the case that this specific ability loadout you just mentioned (which has become "the" Rogue loadout, it seems) would lack damage output after a Lashing Blade nerf, I don't believe that is such a bad thing. First, that is not to say that the entire class would be underpowered, but that this specific build would lack damage output. Looking at the build you have offered, we see that only one encounter power is a "high damage" power, while one is a "defensive" power, and the last is a "utility" power used to refresh the stealth bar. Would it be such a bad thing if a spec which contained more utility/defense than damage... was lacking in damage? That makes perfect sense from where I'm sitting.

This might be a change for the positive. What this might do is force Rogues who want to be "glass cannons/burst strikers" to fill their bar with more DPS abilities, and less utility. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing to force those Rogues who want to be elite DPS strikers, and who see giant damage numbers flying everywhere, to leave utility skills like Shadow Strike and Impossible to Catch off of their encounter bar.

Lastly, I will say that, while I called for a nerf to the damage output of both Lashing Blade and Shocking Execution, I didn't say that the entire PvP system would suddenly be all sunshine and roses the moment Rogues got nerfed. Other class abilities also need to be looked at. For example, take the Wizard, who is in much the same boat as the Rogue. Just as Rogues shouldn't be able to slot 2 utility powers while still dealing high burst damage, Control Wizards shouldn't be able to deal heavy damage while slotting 2 CC powers (usually Repel and Entangling Force) into their encounter slots, either. They should have to give up their damage dealing capability in order to bring utility, just as a Rogue should have to give up their damage dealing capabilities if they want to bring utility like SS and ItC.

One of the problems with Neverwinter class balance, as it sits today, is that both Rogues and Control Wizards can get away with dealing high damage, while still bringing lots of utility. These should be two separate specs, forcing us to make meaningful choices about whether to bring more DPS, or more utility. Currently, any Rogue who brings Lashing Blade and Shocking Execution can deal high burst damage, and on the flip side, any Wizard can be a master of battlefield control by taking Repel and Entangling Force, while still dealing heavy damage with abilities like Ice Knife. This needs to change, or both of these classes will remain overpowered in the meta.

And don't think I'm leaving damage mitigation out of the equation, because I am not. I used the Control Wizard as an example because their situation is similar to the Rogue, in that they are a class which is allowed to have both high utility and high damage output within the same spec. The developers also need to look the damage mitigation side of things, especially if they are considering a nerf to the damage output of classes. Specifically, they need to address some of the Cleric's abilities which can leave themselves and others on their team nearly unkillable. Astral Shield certainly needs to be toned down (a start would be to remove the ability for multiple shields to stack on each other, and go from there).

I'm hesitant to comment further on the Cleric's healing abilities, because my own Cleric is only level 41, so I don't have my own high level Cleric PvP data and experiences to draw from. Astral Shield is a fairly obvious example which we can all agree needs to change in some way, so it's one ability I'm comfortable singling out even with my more limited knowledge of the class.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

It's not like Rogues need 3 dmg encounters to kill stuff like GWF's do.

They get the luxury of at-wills doing so much dmg they can slot utility lol.

Should be the last to complain there.
  • Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's not like Rogues need 3 dmg encounters to kill stuff like GWF's do.

They get the luxury of at-wills doing so much dmg they can slot utility lol.

Should be the last to complain there.

Yeah I was saying ITC is a must have as a rogue.
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I was saying ITC is a must have as a rogue.

I know, was just mocking rogues that complain about losing encounter slots to utility.
  • Options
    xxxpanda9lcxxxpanda9lc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I only used CW,TR as an example i mean overall the game has a absolute foundation and i want it to continue to grow.
    of course if TR,CW damage is toned down then other class's might also need to be adjusted the video was a 1 take video i did really quick 2 nights ago but i just wanted to give my point of view. But i'm really glad it got people talking

Allllll in all i just want neverwinter to grow and i would love to see some more serious pvp in the future so i can promote the game anyway i can

to the person who didn't like my youtube intro sorry! haha...!!
    Twitch.tv/chinglishtv
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Making it so something no longer one shots, but now does half your health is still burst...

what? since when does lashing blade 1 shot people, it only one shots when you use it in lurkers assault and that's a daily, rogues are not the only classes with hard hitting dailies
  • Options
    edited June 2013

when did i ever say to not take ItC? try to comprehend what i'm saying buddy i said since tr's have no damage mitigation we have a choice to slot in ItC but not every single rogue feels like they need a crutch ability to do well, some actually know how to dodge. like i said, i'm using that as an example of the situation that rogues would be in post-nerf (IF it happens) nerf lashing blade and TR's damage output will drop drastically and ironically enough rogues are the supposed melee *striker*. any competent player would see a rogue popping ItC, you run away for 4 seconds and there you go, you countered the ability.

if majority of the pvp population would gear up, l2p and stopped taking TR pvp montage videos seriously than the verdict of rogues being "OP" would be different, which eventually happens in most games.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    what? since when does lashing blade 1 shot people, it only one shots when you use it in lurkers assault and that's a daily, rogues are not the only classes with hard hitting dailies

Like i said in the video I am only use rogues,CW as an example the point of this video to try and make people see that if a lot of things are lowered,adjusted it could be great for neverwinter i can crit 20k with lashing no lurkers atm.
    Twitch.tv/chinglishtv