test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Revisiting the Guardian issue. (about the block bug, not whining about threat)

2»

Comments

• Options
    razenoverazenove Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It would be alright, though slightly inconvenient, if it were simply a CD on Guard. But entering that weird "half-Guard" stance is a serious pain, especially when it gets you smacked down into the dirt when tanking a few mobs and the inevitable pain-fest that brings.

If there has to be a CD, fine. But make it actually work so if we try to Guard too soon nothing happens and we can quickly press again, instead of the character stance and UI telling us we're Guarding until we don't block the next attack.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vheraun - The pseudo-block and people saying that it's randomly dropping when trying to quickly bring block up after dropping block. Is the server overriding the client and rubber banding you back to the correct position.

As I've said you can do very interesting things if you spam your skills. You are spamming your shift (block) key and causing an interesting affect. It's due to latency between your client and the server.

The problem is latency and I'll detail your issue below and everyone needs to learn to adapt. (till it's fixed with the net code or is listed as intended)

You - Fighting - drop block
    Monster - Queues up attack
    You - react and quickly bring up block
    Monster - hits you
    You - WTF I had my block up....

Issue: Monsters are controlled by server and server has you listed as block down at time of impact. You can see the exact same affects with some creates AoE attacks that pull you into their red circle. Even with you walked out of it you are still hit. This is because the server says you are in the red zone 1 second ago.

If you are playing with a 200-300 Ping that's a .2 / .3 second delay between you and the server. If they changed the priority of block to be server side vs. client side as someone mention. That is why suddenly a quick block is not as effective because you have to block before the attack even starts, not after as you are already hit by the monsters quick attack.

I hope this clears up the issue as block is working just fine when block is actually up.

If you want to test this yourself go to PvP and you can see the latency issues all over the place.
  • Options
    vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    vheraun - The pseudo-block and people saying that it's randomly dropping when trying to quickly bring block up after dropping block. Is the server overriding the client and rubber banding you back to the correct position.

As I've said you can do very interesting things if you spam your skills. You are spamming your shift (block) key and causing an interesting affect. It's due to latency between your client and the server.

The problem is latency and I'll detail your issue below and everyone needs to learn to adapt. (till it's fixed with the net code or is listed as intended)

Monster - hits you

Issue: Monsters are controlled by server and server has you listed as block down at time of impact. You can see the exact same affects with some creates AoE attacks that pull you into their red circle. Even with you walked out of it you are still hit. This is because the server says you are in the red zone 1 second ago.

If you are playing with a 200-300 Ping that's a .2 / .3 second delay between you and the server. If they changed the priority of block to be server side vs. client side as someone mention. That is why suddenly a quick block is not as effective because you have to block before the attack even starts, not after as you are already hit by the monsters quick attack.

I hope this clears up the issue as block is working just fine when block is actually up.

If you want to test this yourself go to PvP and you can see the latency issues all over the place.

Nope, hate to be a pain, but you've got it completely wrong. A thing that probably should have been pointed out more is that after we enter this pseudo-block stance, for as long as Shift is held, we face this problem. If I enter the stance, apparently blocking but still taking damage, the block will keep failing until I let go of Shift, even if that is ten seconds or ten minutes later. All this time I will have my shield up, my blocking At-Wills in place, my encounters canceled out, but I will be taking damage. It's not an instantaneous thing.

Hope I cleared things up with this...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vheraun - Block is working as intended. Just wait 1 second before using it after stuns, knd, etc... adapt.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vheraun - Block is working as intended. Just wait 1 second before using it after stuns, knd, etc... adapt.

I could adapt, hell, I am adapting, it's not like I have a choice. But block is obviously bugged, and I won't mention again all I have said so far.
  • Options
    meitranmeitran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    This is getting extremely anoying. I do not bother doing instances, so i just start crafting the log off again. No point in putting money into zen atleast.
  • Options
    gill102gill102 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The highest ping I've seen was 86ms. Normally I'm at 55-56ms. I still consistently have the blocking issue right after using an encounter or getting up from being knocked down. This issue does not appear to be a latency issue...at least not on my end.

-Gil102
  • Options
    sweetjersweetjer Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013

Monster - hits you

If it were the same as rubberbanding it really would be random. No one is complaining about random dropped block. We're talking about something that is easily replicated on demand and does not stop at just "wtf i was blocking" it extends to "the game thinks im blocking allowing only block stance at-wills, but yet it's letting dmg thru." You can make excuses for it all day, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. For the record, I have seen AOE rubberbanding on my rogue maybe twice in over a hundred client hours, but again, I can replicate the block bug on demand. Spamming buttons is not necessary to replicate. Also keep in mind for every goofy comment like yours there are 5 or more people disagreeing with your assessment.
  • Options
    blackhawke90blackhawke90 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Block is broken, anyone who says otherwise is a very unconvincing troll or has godlike latency. The root of the issue is that block was moved server side from client side, meaning there is a horrible delay that wasn't there before. Block cycling has to be very fast and responsive, we can't sit there and wait a whole second before raising our shield, our opponents are certainly not going to wait for us to raise our shield. The delay only gets longer with more lag too, so you're vulnerable for even longer. So many things are already broken in this class, this is just the final nail in the coffin for me. I'm rolling rogue until we get a real answer over the obligatory "We are looking into it" from a community manager that has nothing at all to do with actual development.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sweetjer - Every GF knows there is an issue. To many threats/posts to dispute the fact that something was changed.

It was another stealth modification and most likely at some point there will be another stealth modification and it will be cleared up a bit.

But unless they decide to give GF's "Instant" block like lancers in TERA. Just get used to waiting about 1 second after being dazed, stunned, knocked down or using some skills. It will also make you a better GF as you have to "dodge" and anticipate attacks and eventually take less damage.
  • Options
    dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Difcar - Block is not broken. Go log into your GF go into a zone and stand in front of some mobs. Use block let the mobs hit you. Then drop block, wait 1 second use block again and it works just fine.

Now if you are trying to spam your block key, you maybe able to trick your client into raising block but it's not being raised server side.

There are lots of interesting things you can do spamming your keys.

Also I have my block remapped to "a" key and have no issues. Maybe your problem is shift.

thats not the point debated, if you would read carefully and look at other post you would undestand.

While blocking, no delay or latency issue, attack leaks through, you can reproduce the bug by cancelling an attack animation with block, while you appears to block you can stay indefinitely in blocking stance animation, using the guard at-will but, you will not block, even if your guard is full. Many video has been post about it several seconds after the block animation has finished. You can actually notice it if you see your character moving without speed penalty while blocking and doing block at-will that obviously you are not blocking even if the game make you act like you are blocking.

Edit: please don't tell me it's been intended, it wasn't like that at the release. I know whats a latency issue or an animation cooldown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sweetjer - Every GF knows there is an issue. To many threats/posts to dispute the fact that something was changed.

It was another stealth modification and most likely at some point there will be another stealth modification and it will be cleared up a bit.

But unless they decide to give GF's "Instant" block like lancers in TERA. Just get used to waiting about 1 second after being dazed, stunned, knocked down or using some skills. It will also make you a better GF as you have to "dodge" and anticipate attacks and eventually take less damage.

Oh right and if the healing animation of the cleric power where done at the same he would get hit, resulting into cancelling the power and putting it on CD you will say:

l2p lol you can't heal while being hit now, better learn to dodge it will make you a better cleric to time your heal, look more carefully at the mob animation and dodge before using an encounter.

You clearly try to prove that you are better than the bug (gratz!), because you avoid the bug, but the bug is still there no matter how hard you patch your gameplay to ignore it, and unless confirmed by devs its working as it should be i will consider is not intended and need to be fixed.

Please don't comment if it's not an issue for you, because i don't really care about you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013

And for posterity the relevant part of the first post you dropped in this thread:
    Block is not broken! Stop saying it's broken when it's not broken as "block" is stopping damage when "block" is UP!

The issue you are seeing is latency between your client & server.

Your client is showing block is up and the server says block is down.

It's no different than you rubber banding into a Boss attack when on your PC you where cleared out of the red zone.

I've seen this issue with many games and yes there appears to be a tweak on the activation & hidden cooldown which made the block a delay a little more noticeable.

But it's ALWAYS had a delay since release and never has been instant.

it seems you've changed your tune a bit from "nothing has changed l2p" to "everyone knows there is a problem due to a change l2p." Hey look! it's your credibility flying out the window! Jump out and catch it for me. My point is it doesn't feel even remotely as organic as any of the other shift abilities and, unlike the other shift abilities, this is the guardian's primary skill. I know right now you might have the impulse to say "DPS GF is the only good GF, L2P" but you can go ahead and bite your tongue on that one until you've clipped it off and spat it out. It should be fixed; making excuses and asserting how you can play thru it contributes literally nothing. Could I play thru it if I wanted to? Sure you bet I could. But I'd rather just go farm some more dungeons with my rogue or roll a cleric, which people actually want in their parties. L2P GF, maybe that's the answer. L2P a broken class. But personally I'd prefer not to waste my time with it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sweetjer - I still do not have the issue players report and block still is not broken. Wait 1 second and it will work for you too. :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well in that case, I guess you either lack the testing/observational skills to replicate, or again, you just have no idea what we're talking about. I guess it could be a reading comprehension fail on your part, as well, who knows. Either way, you're still contributing nothing to the conversation. "I'm a sick GF player I can play thru the glitchiness L2P." Again, enjoy being kicked from parties once the rest of NW realizes GF is even more worthless than it was at launch. Because, again, again, again, for every one legendary player like you who says BLOCK NP U GUYS there are five who say it messes with their game. I'd kick you from my PuG too with those odds. ;D ;D ;D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sweetjer - I don't pug PvE. I have a good guild and friends that message me asking to join their groups for ez dungeons / PvP.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You aren't even addressing the point anymore (not that you really were to begin with), so I'm going to leave you to your own pointless devices and let this thread get back on track to the issue at hand. /disengaged
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    UPDATE: if you look at this thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?302511-A-die-hard-CW-begging-on-behalf-of-Guardians we have a forum admin responding to a thread about GF block. The SECOND post in the thread is a forum official helping to assuage concerns. It only took five threads. Anyway, they are actually looking into it looks like. because it's a verified problem.
  • Options
    lordhordelordhorde Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    I was able to replicate this earlier today and messed with it for a bit to make sure it kept happening and it did. I can only really get this to happen after I connect with a lunging strike and going straight to guard. I will still get hit even though shields up and am stab attacking. Can`t get it to happen otherwise though.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sweetjer wrote: »
    UPDATE: if you look at this thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?302511-A-die-hard-CW-begging-on-behalf-of-Guardians we have a forum admin responding to a thread about GF block. The SECOND post in the thread is a forum official helping to assuage concerns. It only took five threads. Anyway, they are actually looking into it looks like. because it's a verified problem.

Indeed. Well, that's some good news at last. Also, thanks for your support in this matter ^_^

lordhorde, it should happen after every encounter and after having just left block. Anyway, the face that it works with at least one is good enough for me to prove that it exists.
  • Options
    pinterro1pinterro1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am seeing this problem whereby my shield wont stay up or it flickers/drops (with key depressed) allowing for damage or knockback to filter through ! I am sure this wasn't the case a few weeks ago ? I have switched KB , reset keys tried all sorts and get the same result every time - Its easy for me to replicate the issue anywhere in game (don't need to be in combat) . So if this is driving you completely crazy don't worry its not just you ! I hope the problem is resolved soon (open beta/soft launch whatever) Its a big flaw .. A guard that can block ... well ... sorta ... on and off ... intermittently ... randomly maybe ... not ... well .. depends ... sometimes .. Hmmm ! Hope its sorted soon as 'flawed guardian shield utility + lame 150/200 euro ping handicap' is a game breaker for many :-(

Love the game and love the old skool Guardian feel (block feels great when it holds) but please address the above issue ! If you don't get this issue then lucky you !