test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Races I would like to see playable in Neverwinter

gingervitosgingervitos Member Posts: 275 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
First up the Drider. <===== This seriously needs to happen Driders are a major part of Forgotten Realms lore I would fling my wallet at the screen for this.
Secondly, playable Kobolds theres friendly Kolbolds all over the Forgotten Realms I am surprised Kobolds are not playable right now.
Lastly Mycanoids just for the LOLS of it. Imagine taking down a Dragon with a mushroom. Whats not to love.

Git Gud M8!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
Post edited by gingervitos on

Comments

• Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Illithid.... and Bugbear... maybe Gnoll too..
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    None of these are typical playable races. I'd rather see them add the core stuff first, like elf, dwarf, and halfling race variations.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kobolds sure, but I highly doubt we will ever see driders as a playable race due to the sheer amount of work to implement them as a player race.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No matter how would you stretch lore, there is no way a living drider would be let into Neverwinter city.
    Same thing with many other races.

Thats like saying "hey, why won't we make mindflayers playable? They are after all a major part of forgotten realms lore".
  • Options
    vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    No matter how would you stretch lore, there is no way a living drider would be let into Neverwinter city.

Thats like saying "hey, why won't we make mindflayers playable? They are after all a major part of forgotten realms lore".
    That. Plus, there is no living drider that would want to enter Neverwinter and... well, you know, not slaughter everybody.

EDIT: So long as we are on the lore... PLAYABLE BEHOLDERS!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd pay $50 to play a thri-kreen.

No GM ever lets me play one. Sniff (the non-psionic one, even!!)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    One thing you have to take into consideration: Monster Races are supposed to be rare if playable at all.

I'm sure people would pay for the ability to play a dragon but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for the IP. Seeing Driders running around Neverwinter and not being killed by the guard on sight or trying to kill the guard on sight would certainly hurt immersion for many players. It's bad enough that there are spider mounts. :p

What would be cool to play and what would be good for the game are often two completely separate ordeals. ;)

Not that I have any say in the matter but the monster races should remain monster races. Driders/Myconids should only be considered if they implement an underdark city/faction.
  • Options
    clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they created a whole separate faction in the game where you could play the more evil races, that would be awesome. Then you could have open PvP areas, contested PvP dungeons etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lizardman !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »

Why not Mindflayers I would so play the fudge outta that. Remember this is a video game not the P&P game. My main reason for adding them would to introduce these epic creatures to people who are new to D&D.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dragonwrought Kobolds! >:D also druid class :D

Neverwinter let in Tieflings, Orcs, and the digusting drow :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And in plenty of the Salvatore books Do'Urden has ran into plenty of friendly people from these "Evil" races.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    Non-humanoid races won't be added. Neither will these obscure choices.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If they created a whole separate faction in the game where you could play the more evil races, that would be awesome. Then you could have open PvP areas, contested PvP dungeons etc.

Now that would be good. Hell, awesome. But we are talking about basically designing another game, right? It's not like a drider or a duergar would go around killing drider and duergars... The same amount of areas, only this time evil-oriented, should be designed. Unless of course they have different quests on the existing areas and fight against the good guys....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nemonus wrote: »

Driders obscure? After the Dark elves they are the best known of all the Neverwinter races. And yes I do know Driders are an offshoot of Dark Elves.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nemonus wrote: »

nay sayer! Can't ever be sure by the way. If there's money in it they probably will show up.

More likely to show up ina lockbox though.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And in plenty of the Salvatore books Do'Urden has ran into plenty of friendly people from these "Evil" races.

Friendly... illithid? Friendly... drider? Hell, every second dwarf he meets want to kill him!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Driders obscure? After the Dark elves they are the best known of all the Neverwinter races. And yes I do know Driders are an offshoot of Dark Elves.

Doesn't mean they would have a warm welcome trying to walk through the front gate of the city...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vheraun wrote: »
    Friendly... illithid? Friendly... drider? Hell, every second dwarf he meets want to kill him!

He met a friendly hook horror though
  • Options
    joe15552joe15552 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only core race that we can't play at the moment is gnome.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Dwarfs shouldnt be so small to a Drider they look like lunch.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    He met a friendly hook horror though

That was no real hook horror.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    joe15552 wrote: »

Gnome isn't a core race in 4th edition. Most gnomes were killed during the spellplague. They are currently in the monster manual.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    joe15552 wrote: »

I'm not so familiar with 4e, but planetouched? Aasimar? (or Deva, whatever), Genasi etc?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013

Yes but there are rare. They are cool because they are unique.
    Once they stop being unique they start being ridiculous...

Seeing a single player Drider would be awesome. Seeing a dozen in PE at any given time would make me cringe.

So yeah I'd really love to see the Underdark expanded and turned into it's own starting location like many NWN Modules did with appropriate NPC (not player) Factions so perhaps some more monster-estque races could be explored (let alone allowing the drow to stay evil rather than as common as a normal elf)
    But allowing everybody to make a goodly or accepted monster is a real kick in the groin if you care about the IP.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know, the 'oh no, monster races wouldn't be allowed into Neverwinter, don't be absurd!' and 'they should be rare and unique!' would have a lot more credibility if I didn't constantly see Drow on giant flippin spiders scrabbling about the city.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm not so familiar with 4e, but planetouched? Aasimar? (or Deva, whatever), Genasi etc?

Aasimar are no longer core. They got a hefty lore change if I remember correctly just like Tieflings.
    Genasi are still core as well as the beloved Dragonborn (no matter how much I think they are a monster race and should not be core) :)

Gnomes are in the Player Handbook again. They are no longer core but they were added to the Player Handbook II.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Seeing a single player Drider would be awesome. Seeing a dozen in PE at any given time would make me cringe.

So yeah I'd really love to see the Underdark expanded and turned into it's own starting location like many NWN Modules did with appropriate NPC (not player) Factions so perhaps some more monster-estque races could be explored (let alone allowing the drow to stay evil rather than as common as a normal elf)
    But allowing everybody to make a goodly or accepted monster is a real kick in the groin if you care about the IP.

Get this man a job with the Cryptic creative team!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    You know, the 'oh no, monster races wouldn't be allowed into Neverwinter, don't be absurd!' would have a lot more credibility if I didn't constantly see Drow on giant flippin spiders scrabbling about the city.

He does have a point... But kind drow aren't that rare, and they just brought their pets along. Best I can do to preserve the lore.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I'm cool with another faction ^.^ as long as we got more choices in races to play with. Love games with monster races.