test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF Unwelcomed to dungeon groups

vylkervylker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Warning: Drama

I really like my GF dwarf, but we have a serious problem, we are USELESS, simple as that.
Most of my guildmates never invite me to their group, they prefer to have a TR or CW instead of me, I understand that,
most times with a GF in a group we cant beat the last boss in T2 dungeons, they prefer some DPS.
I tried as a Conqueror, as a Protector, many specs, nothing seems to help my group in something, broken taunt, low damage, a tottaly broken class. Shall I hope for a fix soon?? Devs???
Post edited by vylker on

Comments

• alaric63alaric63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am willing to bet that the Balancing Pass that has been mentioned is a ways off. The last mention, from the Dev's, that I saw said they have bigger fish to fry right now, but they are taking notes.
  • aphasiaaphasia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess its the screwed up threat generation from GFs thats the big problem. The main tankers that are unable to tank effectively
  • datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vylker wrote: »

I really like my GF dwarf, but we have a serious problem, we are USELESS, simple as that.
    Most of my guildmates never invite me to their group, they prefer to have a TR or CW instead of me, I understand that,
    most times with a GF in a group we cant beat the last boss in T2 dungeons, they prefer some DPS.
    I tried as a Conqueror, as a Guardian, many specs, nothing seems to help my group in something, broken taunt, low damage, a tottaly broken class. Shall I hope for a fix soon?? Devs???

You're welcome to party with me anytime.

Would suggest looking for a more flexible set of friends or guild/clan.

Yes some classes are more broken than others,but the current content is still playable and I might add beatable with one of each class in a party.
  • vylkervylker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Appreciate it thanks,

Although my useless dwarf still will be useless...
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Appreciate it thanks,

Yah..... but i bet he looks good though. A GF dwarf in full plate appears brutal in every way. Shame it doesn't translate to functionality..
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Appreciate it thanks,

Dwarf ? Now we see the real problem . if you was an Orc they would not only invite you they would follow your every whim .
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I run a guild full of halflings and dwarfs,Your more than welcome to run dungoens with us :3

My tags @Nepht :3
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    Dwarf ? Now we see the real problem . if you was an Orc they would not only invite you they would follow your every whim .

I don't know what fantasy world you live in.. clearly not Toril. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    This news article should be pretty informative about the future plans for classes. :)
  • thannonrathannonra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the state of the game the way it is, those class balancing issues need to become priority second only to more major game breaking issues. Sure the AH exploits of the last week or two had to be addressed, I realize that. But as it stands this game is so broken it isn't even 1/10th of the game it could be.
  • gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Protip: Get all 4 pieces of Stalwart Bulwark set and spec into Conqueror Paragon tree.

Watch your DPS skyrocket and your Guardian toon actually be useful.

They need to fix the aggro problems asap. It's been weeks and still no fix to the messed up aggro system in this game. All we get is a promise from the lead producer that they'll fix it... eventually. They also need to nerf Astral Shield double stacking so that tanks are actually needed in this game instead of everyone using 2 Clerics for easy mode gameplay.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Protip: Get all 4 pieces of Stalwart Bulwark set and spec into Conqueror Paragon tree.

They need to fix the aggro problems asap. It's been weeks and still no fix to the messed up aggro system in this game. All we get is a promise from the lead producer that they'll fix it... eventually. They also need to nerf Astral Shield double stacking so that tanks are actually needed in this game instead of everyone using 2 Clerics for easy mode gameplay.

Thats the exact equipment and build i have with my GF. Doesn't seem to have any influence whatsoever on accessing end game dungeons though. ... Until melee units are essential to high lvl group play it makes zero difference what your wearing.
  • josierevisitedjosierevisited Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thannonra wrote: »
    With the state of the game the way it is, those class balancing issues need to become priority second only to more major game breaking issues. Sure the AH exploits of the last week or two had to be addressed, I realize that. But as it stands this game is so broken it isn't even 1/10th of the game it could be.

Agreed. In what universe does class balance become a low priority? People will play through most bugs, but if the class they like is useless in the game they will walk.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    aphasia wrote: »
    I guess its the screwed up threat generation from GFs thats the big problem. The main tankers that are unable to tank effectively

Nope. The big problem is that the game doesn't need tanking.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
    edited May 2013

Groups that like to just boot you for being a GF don't normally wait to inspect you :D
  • cjet2112cjet2112 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I regularly top out on damage taken, enemies slain, and damage dealt with my GF. Spec conq and use stalwart set. My guild regularly asks me to come on T2s, in fact im in highest demand save our clerics, but theres only one of me. Pugging T1's and maybe pirates, noone care what group comp is as long as there is a Cleric around. Trying to Pug most other T2's is just a mistake anyways, so getting kicked before you start is probably saving you time.

GF role is still to tank, but you will be able to do it much better if you maximize your AOE damage potential. I use Lungingstrike, Enforced threat, and Frontline surge for my encounters. Cleave and threatening rush for at-wills, Villains and fighter's recovery for daily, and Enhanced mark and combat superiority for passives.

I more or less take point on runs, rush in, aoe taunt, drop villain's menace, and start cleaving away, using enforced threat on CD. Lunging strike and Frontline surge are there for utility and added dps. I have very little problems keeping threat on me for the first 10 seconds or so of each encounter. After that most of the minions are down and its time to focus on one thing at a time anyways.
  • bonfire01bonfire01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GF will generally have highest dmg taken and most kills. If you have most dmg the rest of your group is bad basically. Either they are playing bad or your gear is way better than those (like you have a bunch of tenebrous enchants and they don't).

Also stats don't take into account control. the easiest way to suddenly boost your dmg as a GF is to cleave mobs when they get singularitied by a CW. Suddenly you do tons of DPS but in reality it's the CW that matters not you. Also ppl don't get dmg stats for knocking things off ledges to their doom which is a much better way to clear trash than a GF AoEing it.

Bottom line is 2DC, 2CW TR or 2DC 3CW is always quicker and easier than a party with a GF (or GWF) unless the GF has a large gear advantage over one of the above.
    edited May 2013
    bonfire01 wrote: »
    GF will generally have highest dmg taken and most kills. If you have most dmg the rest of your group is bad basically. Either they are playing bad or your gear is way better than those (like you have a bunch of tenebrous enchants and they don't).

Also stats don't take into account control. the easiest way to suddenly boost your dmg as a GF is to cleave mobs when they get singularitied by a CW. Suddenly you do tons of DPS but in reality it's the CW that matters not you. Also ppl don't get dmg stats for knocking things off ledges to their doom which is a much better way to clear trash than a GF AoEing it.

Bottom line is 2DC, 2CW TR or 2DC 3CW is always quicker and easier than a party with a GF (or GWF) unless the GF has a large gear advantage over one of the above.

Yes! 100% agree. If you have no cw or a bad cw, gf damage is pretty awful.
  • luicanlad25luicanlad25 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My friend, I myself am a Guardian Fighter. There is a way how to get the mobs on dungeons but most people always and I think always will be thinking that faster dungeon runs are better. This is a RPG. They will soon realize the importance of a Guardian Fighter in a group.
    On the techniques on how to get the mobs even as a protector, use everything that generates threats.
    Enforced Threat, Shield Charge (I don't know what it is called but its a charging attack that marks the nearby targets), Mark Target.
    You don't need to worry about damaging. All you got to do is tank those sumbitc~
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    luicanlad25 - Threatening Rush - Charges and marks targets and is a must for trash and AoE tanking boss adds.

Only time I don't have threatening rush is if I'm tanking boss and want to debuff boss with Iron Tide for TR damage boost.
  • quiddxquiddx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My GF is still in high demand in my guild, mainly due to threat not being an issue for me. Have you even considered the Tactician line? Yeah your crits wont be so big, and you may take some more damage, but it actually allows you to TANK if that is what you are going for. My guild clerics love me, the melee DPS is always getting Combat Advantage, and the CW's can hold still and burn through their rotations. Some (if not most) bosses, your not really tanking....your AoE tanking the adds and sticking a TR on the boss, its just understanding fight mechanics. If I need to make sure a Boss stays turned away from the party, I'll tank it, if not, I usually am on AoE add tanking and the rogue will handle it.

There is a major downfall to being a tank though, and you may only know this is you have a cleric alt. Healing mechanics in this game are not suited to single target heals, single target healing is a ***** for a cleric. It is SOOO much easier to just AoE your little heart out and heal the entire group which is why you see groups for T2's consisiting of 2 clerics and 3 dps.

The Threat build is in the tactician line, and until there is a fix, that is where you need to look if your looking for a real tank. I think there are some hybrid threat builds on the forums here if you want a mix for some added staying power, but do know that it is NOT a satisfying solo build. A Conq will push right though farming his mobs, where a tact needs to swing for a few more minutes lol, but its gear dependant. People are all used to "threat being broken" so they don't think of tanks.....threat can still be managed, but people don't build for it.

It's a decision of how you want to play your GF, if you want threat, you have to HAVE TO, build for it (tactician)....but it is going to dampen those big numbers. I still usually get the most kills, am 3rd or 4th on DPS...but my parties enjoy the control in the dungeons.

Hope it helps a little :)
    Best Wishes!
  • silentiltmsilentiltm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 234 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    datemper wrote: »
    You're welcome to party with me anytime.

Would suggest looking for a more flexible set of friends or guild/clan.

Yes some classes are more broken than others,but the current content is still playable and I might add beatable with one of each class in a party.

This. And in regards to threat generation, I'm perfectly happy with my Conquerer setup. If you are talking WoW style threat mechanics where all trash just goes to player in the room with the overall highest threat (yawn), then this isnt how the mechanic works. You'll need to go grab those other adds or let your dps handle them.

I've cleared every T2 dungeon fast with the right group mix. I generally take 2/3rds of the overall dmg looking at the counters, unless there is a GWF in group in which case I drop to just above 50%.
  • faulkalfaulkal Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    I can't wait to get into end game stuff. Hopefully by then the stuff that's needed gets fixed
  • difcardifcar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GFs are not useless it is just that people seem to have trouble playing them properly. They are one of the best dps classes in the game and have a very strong utility arsenal.

You can clear every tier 2 dungeon (with just one cleric) by building either as dps-tank or as utility-tank. Look around try stuff and try to think about your build. Once you have taken a certain build try to think how you should handle a boss with your build.
  • bonfire01bonfire01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not about whether GFs can be useful, or you can clear dungeons with them, it's just that it's easier and quicker not to take them along. You can faceroll through dungeons with DCx2 CWx2 TRx1. You finish quicker and it's easy. Put in a GF or GWF and it takes longer and you are more likely to fail basically.

A few ppl say that GFs and/or GWF are actually great and work really well etc etc but the vast majority of ppl don't agree. They are considered a class of last resort by a lot of ppl, given a free choice and if you aren't struggling to get into groups you're probably queuing with friends / guildies. Also the ppl saying the classes are great in dungeons are often (although maybe not always) GFs or GWFs who probably haven't had a chance to try a dungeon without a GF or GWF being there :).... it's just easier. (I have a GF and a DC so seen both sides of the coin).

EDIT: Talking about epic content btw where block is pretty much useless beyond avoiding the effects of a red circle you can't escape cause you're slow and can't dodge and you can't risk getting hit for long before you evaporate unless your daily is up to lifesteal like a beast (then run after if stuff's still alive and not being controlled :) ). In pre 60 content GFs make life easier in dungeons in my experience.
  • avatarcemoavatarcemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yes its a big problen if it not solved with this GAung.... patch i will change my class its completely useless bettter to plas with GWF instead of GF now
  • snowballosnowballo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I blame CW's for everything ;)
    CW is the only class you need in this game pretty much.

Yes, yes everything is doable without them, etc, etc, but CW's with their instant daily refills and perma aoe CC are to blame for everything.
    It's not that any of the classes is useless when looked upon on its own.
    It's just that CW's (and especially when well played) are way too useful.

The one and only reason why the game isn't DC+4xCW just yet, is that TR's single target dmg is good enough for now.
    Snow's Melee Arena: NW-DMT7STJ9E
    Combat arena. Adjustable challenge.
    Difficulty: Adjustable easy - very hard
    Duration: Adjustable 1 - 25min
  • dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    quiddx wrote: »
    My GF is still in high demand in my guild, mainly due to threat not being an issue for me. Have you even considered the Tactician line? Yeah your crits wont be so big, and you may take some more damage, but it actually allows you to TANK if that is what you are going for. My guild clerics love me, the melee DPS is always getting Combat Advantage, and the CW's can hold still and burn through their rotations. Some (if not most) bosses, your not really tanking....your AoE tanking the adds and sticking a TR on the boss, its just understanding fight mechanics. If I need to make sure a Boss stays turned away from the party, I'll tank it, if not, I usually am on AoE add tanking and the rogue will handle it.

There is a major downfall to being a tank though, and you may only know this is you have a cleric alt. Healing mechanics in this game are not suited to single target heals, single target healing is a ***** for a cleric. It is SOOO much easier to just AoE your little heart out and heal the entire group which is why you see groups for T2's consisiting of 2 clerics and 3 dps.

The Threat build is in the tactician line, and until there is a fix, that is where you need to look if your looking for a real tank. I think there are some hybrid threat builds on the forums here if you want a mix for some added staying power, but do know that it is NOT a satisfying solo build. A Conq will push right though farming his mobs, where a tact needs to swing for a few more minutes lol, but its gear dependant. People are all used to "threat being broken" so they don't think of tanks.....threat can still be managed, but people don't build for it.

It's a decision of how you want to play your GF, if you want threat, you have to HAVE TO, build for it (tactician)....but it is going to dampen those big numbers. I still usually get the most kills, am 3rd or 4th on DPS...but my parties enjoy the control in the dungeons.

Hope it helps a little :)
    Best Wishes!

Tactician works good, it does good threat, but i played all 3 builds, none is better than an other to hold threat. I wouldn't say tactician is the way to go. There's no such threat build, you can manage to hold threat in all 3 specs with the right set of power and a party willing to assist you.

I've done all the content as a conqueror GF with frontline surge/into the fray/enforced threat/trample the fallen/villain menace, it's ridiculously easy to hold threat with a CW using Arcane singularity. I've done most of the content as tactician with supremacy of steel, knight valor combo, and i could be able to do all of it. My experience make me feel conqueror has a slight advantage, but your mileage may vary. Glad to see someone having success with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zakarayzakaray Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Our quickest cn runs are ran with 1 of each class. I play gf and our other gf is on a majority of the time so we often run two gf 1 tr 1dc 1cw. We actually prefer it. With thw feat in tactition that increases damage by 10percent to mobs under control spells. Frontline surge singularitied mobs and bam trash is instantly dead. 20percent damage increase with two gfs. People think they aren't viable but they truly are. I'm pretty close to top dps in most dumgeons, sometimes I take the cake and things go smoothly.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I tried as a Conqueror, as a Protector, many specs, nothing seems to help my group in something, broken taunt, low damage, a tottaly broken class. Shall I hope for a fix soon?? Devs???

I run with a guild group, and we clear any T2, including CN and Dread Vault. One of the permanent spots in the group is a GF. He pumps out as much damage as a CW in full T2 set. Useful to charging in any group, no matter how big. We often pull 2-3 groups at a time. Useful on bosses as single dps. Useful in CN for gathering Red Mages and tossing them over to the CW. Useful in Dread Vault by tossing adds over the side, and grabbing aggro of stragglers annoying the range dps.
    In other words, GF is perfectly viable for any T2, much more so than a GWF. You just have to play it right. If you are playing, gearing, slotting, speccing the GF as a Tank, then it is a fail. You need to think of yourself as a DPS character with taunt utility, buffs, debuffs, etc...

That however may or may not change after the next update. We shall see.
    bonfire01 wrote: »
    It's not about whether GFs can be useful, or you can clear dungeons with them, it's just that it's easier and quicker not to take them along. You can faceroll through dungeons with DCx2 CWx2 TRx1. You finish quicker and it's easy. Put in a GF or GWF and it takes longer and you are more likely to fail basically.

That is totally an exaggerated opinion that was started maybe by someone struggling in T2 content, and it spiraled out of control in this forum.

My group consists of 1GF, 1DC, 1TR, 1CW. The 5th spot is filled with either another CW or another TR depending on who is available. Never did we run with 2DCs, and never did we run without the GF. Our last CN run took exactly 1hour 40minute, one shotted every boss including Draco. And that was a Pre-Clear, so we couldnt even knock any mobs off the sides throughout the run. So there is no way you can convince me, that taking a GF in ANY T2 is a liability or a drag.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.