test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No more free to play, please?

bowtie8bitbowtie8bit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Would it really be so bad if this game moved to subscription based payment and annuity for the stockholders to be pleased?

If this game wasn't free to play, we wouldn't have so many different currencies, we'd have more content to play in instead of items to shop for, we'd have more classes to play and possibly an entire open-explore world.

WoW had two entire continents to start with, with 7 classes (1 unique for each side) and two factions. There are reasons WoW did so well and it's not just cuz it was there at the right time.

Working your way to 40 to get your first mount made the mounts mean something, and having a huge distance to cross made them *REALLY* mean something! What're mounts useful for now? 1/100th the necessity from open-world MMO's.

Free to play games have so much effort put into "how can we get more money from our players?" Instead of "how can we attract more long-term subscribers?"

It's like players are a mere commodity to be taken in, used, and discarded easily.

Can we get some real personality put into the visuals for the NPCs please?

Where's Waterdeep or Amn at? How can I be "of Amn" and not have that city as my starting zone?

Move to a subscription based game, put the content and *PROPER BALANCING* that attracts and keeps subscribers, ditch the free to play mess and all the effort put into making Neverwinter a shopping mall, and make good use of the Neverwinter title before you trash it completely.

Please!

We don't need one-time-or-never-buy, welfare, free-to-play gamers polluting the game anyway. I guarantee you, there are millions of subscribers in WoW waiting for a worthy game to move their monthly payment into. And Neverwinter could be it.

Star Wars: The Old Republic should have been it, really, but it was built on a completely bogus game engine. A real tragedy. Since that failed, would you at Cryptic and Perfect World please reconsider the free-to-play model and make the Neverwinter name mean more than this unbalanced, can't-explore-much, buggy game is?

Yes, there is a good number of successful implementations in this game, and yet it is so far from D&D and Neverwinter Nights rulesets and imaginings.

So.. much.. potential...
Post edited by bowtie8bit on

Comments

• Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Young you are....

Educated, life will make you...

Edit: Shill you are....

underpaid you will always be...

What? I am simply observing both sides!
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with subs is some people don't want to commit. Why would I sub and un-sub every time I wanted to play/stop playing the game? What they should have done and they failed on, was setting a box price from the start. 30 dollars for a download and a cd-key would have been ideal for them. And that way when you ban someones cd-key they actually get banned, not this jump your bot to your next email account <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>...
  • Options
    maniacjimmaniacjim Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I dont think they expected this game to take off so quickly. Thats why it was overflowed with bots and scammers (exploiters) , that they didnt implement a better system from the start to mitigate them.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *sigh*

PWE doesn't do subs. Period. The only reason the option is there for STO/CO is because of their LTS system, and the option was left in because PWE had to legally honor those.

But please, feel free to beat this dead horse into dust yet again.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I looked up LTS and got this Lafayette Transit System.

I didnt look long obviously.

Whats LTS? and save the *sigh*
  • Options
    solthusx2solthusx2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maniacjim wrote: »
    I looked up LTS and got this Lafayette Transit System.

I didnt look long obviously.

Whats LTS? and save the *sigh*

Life Time Subscription
  • Options
    mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL, we DON'T WANT the WoWTards here, PLEASE let them stay with that crappy game and as far away from here as possible..... Subscription games are a thing of the past, it's a failed model, past it's prime, free 2 play and buy to play are where it's at, why in the world would they want to move backwards instead of forwards? Your suggestion is quite moronic, and quite pointless anyway, as I don't see them changing to a P2P model any time soon, or ever.
  • Options
    bostishbostish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWE has stock?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    solthusx2 wrote: »
    Life Time Subscription

Thank you. May the Spaghetti Monster in the Sky bless you from the Depths of Zues' Beard.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bostish wrote: »
    PWE has stock?

Yes, the parent company of PWE is publicly traded.

NASDAQ: PWRD
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now I've seen everything. People complaining that a game is free and asking to take their money. Lol.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Now I've seen everything. People complaining that a game is free and asking to take their money. Lol.

Yep it's pretty blatant Astroturfing, it's almost a given with new MMO's these days.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    bugs55678bugs55678 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bowtie8bit wrote: »
    Would it really be so bad if this game moved to subscription based payment and annuity for the stockholders to be pleased?

If this game wasn't free to play, we wouldn't have so many different currencies, we'd have more content to play in instead of items to shop for, we'd have more classes to play and possibly an entire open-explore world.

WoW had two entire continents to start with, with 7 classes (1 unique for each side) and two factions. There are reasons WoW did so well and it's not just cuz it was there at the right time.

Working your way to 40 to get your first mount made the mounts mean something, and having a huge distance to cross made them *REALLY* mean something! What're mounts useful for now? 1/100th the necessity from open-world MMO's.

Free to play games have so much effort put into "how can we get more money from our players?" Instead of "how can we attract more long-term subscribers?"

It's like players are a mere commodity to be taken in, used, and discarded easily.

Can we get some real personality put into the visuals for the NPCs please?

Where's Waterdeep or Amn at? How can I be "of Amn" and not have that city as my starting zone?

Move to a subscription based game, put the content and *PROPER BALANCING* that attracts and keeps subscribers, ditch the free to play mess and all the effort put into making Neverwinter a shopping mall, and make good use of the Neverwinter title before you trash it completely.

Please!

We don't need one-time-or-never-buy, welfare, free-to-play gamers polluting the game anyway. I guarantee you, there are millions of subscribers in WoW waiting for a worthy game to move their monthly payment into. And Neverwinter could be it.

Star Wars: The Old Republic should have been it, really, but it was built on a completely bogus game engine. A real tragedy. Since that failed, would you at Cryptic and Perfect World please reconsider the free-to-play model and make the Neverwinter name mean more than this unbalanced, can't-explore-much, buggy game is?

Yes, there is a good number of successful implementations in this game, and yet it is so far from D&D and Neverwinter Nights rulesets and imaginings.

So.. much.. potential...

Please research before you post, there is much more that they plan to add to the game.

Im not gonna pull the "its beta" stunt, but i mean come on, this game has the perfect amount of content for just starting off. They are even planning on releasing module 1 soon as they say which will add much more content, if you would read up on the game your bashing you would know this already...but you didnt, so im telling you.

And i dont mean to sound rude, but your dumb if you think that a FREE game is taking your money...

I mean seriously, use your brain.
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »

shut-up-and-take-my-money2.jpg
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    izoldaizolda Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some people, noobs, morons believe that by turning a game into a sub making it a "better" game. This theory is completely wrong and only kid would believe so. In fact it could even backfire them.

It's just simply mean the company can swim in a bigger cash pool ASSUME people willing to pay for it. If not? gg.

"If you pay me more for my service does not mean I will give you what you want, why? because I make it, not you."

There are many pay to play games out there that are much worse than free one.
  • Options
    breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would be willing to bet PWE is raking more in per customer then a $15 wow sub. I also doubt your guarantee is really a guarantee. If PWE decided to follow you business advice, would you be willing and capable of paying them millions once you're proven wrong?
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bowtie8bit wrote: »

Yes.

/thread
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If this had a subscription model, then it would be judged far more harshly than it is now. People have lowered expectations for a free-to-play game and don't demand that the developers constantly churn out new content. Also subscription-based MMOs are kind of dying.

We really need a new WoW to ignite this genre of game. Something that catches on with the masses and says, "Hey, remember when you used to pay monthly for this type of game and were **** proud to do so?"
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Personally i think F2P games with the possibility of subscription would be the best option right now, there are many small things in most MMOs to make the difference and if you see the dev putting time and effort into improving the game you'll want to support that. Yes more money can make a better game.
    Some people, noobs, morons believe that by turning a game into a sub making it a "better" game. This theory is completely wrong and only kid would believe so

There should be a cap if ignorance in a single post. You managed to break every threshold known to man.
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    iuliandrei wrote: »
    Personally i think F2P games with the possibility of subscription would be the best option right now, there are many small things in most MMOs to make the difference and if you see the dev putting time and effort into improving the game you'll want to support that. Yes more money can make a better game.

Just buy 15 dollars worth of zen every month. There's your sub option right there...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    iuliandrei wrote: »

I don't know man, SW:TOR uses this system and it's pretty bad. Some people may call this game P2W, but at least free players feel like part of the community. In SW:ToR they are literally second-class citizens who have a cooldown timer for every sentence they speak. You know, just so the valuable members of the community don't have to have their ears sullied with the warblings of the peasants. Seriously go look up some of the limitations they pull on freemium players. It's laughable.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just buy 15 dollars worth of zen every month. There's your sub option right there...

Not even close.
    I don't know man, SW:TOR uses this system and it's pretty bad. Some people may call this game P2W, but at least free players feel like part of the community. In SW:ToR they are literally second-class citizens who have a cooldown timer for every sentence they speak. You know, just so the valuable members of the community don't have to have their ears sullied with the warblings of the peasants.

I actually have an active SWToR sub right now although i rarely play it :)
    Probably the reason people call it P2W is that the items bought from cartel market can be sold at AH and yes i agree there are quite alot of restrictions there, although i was talking about the non-combat things and all content available.
    I was talking to a friend about this very subject, he plays rift and we took 10-15 min to think about this model in rift and what perks could subs have in a way that it doesn't give them an edge power-wise or have more content available and there are dozens.
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It wouldn't work because this game isn't worth a sub. It doesn't have an open world. The graphics are mediocre. Combat is too different that I doubt would have mass appeal. WoW probably had a much bigger budget then NW. NW looks like a f2p game. They just happened to do decent for one, but I do not believe it will attract enough subscribers.

They've already announced that they are on working on 2 classes currently so relax. If I'm not mistaken the hunter class in WoW wasn't available in beta and paladin was god awful until the overhaul in late BC.

Sure the world isn't as big, but it still helps a lot to have a mount.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perfect World has never done PtP and it never will.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    WoW probably had a much bigger budget then NW.

What do you mean probably?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    What do you mean probably?

Thing is PW and PWE are sort of different beasts . PW in China is a gaming power house with the game well Perfect World , China's favorite online game. You could say its China's WoW . Perfect World China has a lot more money than Perfect World Entertainment. We have no idea how much money PW passed to PWE to give to Cryptic to finish Neverwinter.
  • Options
    psiwuffpsiwuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrz1mmers wrote: »
    LOL, we DON'T WANT the WoWTards here, PLEASE let them stay with that crappy game and as far away from here as possible..... Subscription games are a thing of the past, it's a failed model, past it's prime, free 2 play and buy to play are where it's at, why in the world would they want to move backwards instead of forwards? Your suggestion is quite moronic, and quite pointless anyway, as I don't see them changing to a P2P model any time soon, or ever.
    So let me get this straight. Instead of subscription based, well rounded and decently polished games (WoW, EQ2, Rift - i know the last two are F2P now) you want games like Neverwinter, where the cash shop is rubbed into your face at every turn, and the game has inconveniences built in that you have to buy away? Where game systems are intentionally gimped to be worthless (crafting outside of leadership) unless you sink money into the game to make them actually work?

F2P is not "the next big thing". It is an insulting moneygrab attempt by the industry, where they churn out a horribly ****ty game, then "soft launch" it into "open beta", bug-ridden, low on content (Neverwinter has no end-game content to speak of outside of dungeon grinds). The reason games go F2P is twofold. One, because they released a ****ty game that was deemed unfit to survive on subscription basis (SWTOR was the prime suspect. No endgame, a shattered community due to over-sharding and over-instancing, no economy to speak of etc), or two, because someone wants to make a lot of money by making a "free" game. So they either import some korean run-of-the-mill grinder and hype it up to be awesome, or they create something like neverwinter and plaster the cash shop all over it.

This also means that you apparently don't want any meaningful PvE competitiveness either. No game where your achievements mean anything, because why be proud of your T1/T2 gear, when people might as well just believe you bought some AD to buy the gear off the AH? Or where training your companions into well, a companion is halted at about lvl 30 because there are no upgrade items for them? And because there are imbalanced, OP companions like the bloody cat, which buffs you AND gives you 3 extra item slots?

No, F2P is a plight on the gaming industry, since it prevents any serious games being made, instead producing a line of forgettable, ever-same games built only around one aspect: To be just enough fun, and just inconvenient enough for people to throw some money at it before they move on.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    psiwuff wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. Instead of subscription based, well rounded and decently polished games (WoW, EQ2, Rift - i know the last two are F2P now) you want games like Neverwinter, where the cash shop is rubbed into your face at every turn, and the game has inconveniences built in that you have to buy away?

I'm a WoW subscriber and its more nickle and dime than Neverwinter. Just saying.
  • Options
    budrik1budrik1 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how-about-no-bear.jpg

As much as it pains me to say this, I personally prefer this game remains Free to Play.
    Free to Play meaning Free to Access All Game Content and reach maximum possible potential.
    They can stuff the shop with all the epic fiery horses and !@#$ all they want, I'm not envious enough to go "OH MAN, I WANT ONE OF THOSE SO BAD!!! This money could go towards something more meaningful like courses in learning another language, or a savings account, but I WANT THAT ******* MOUNT SO MY IMAGINARY PROJECTION OF MYSELF CAN LOOK <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> SO BADLY!!!"

And the people who ARE envious enough... SPEND YOUR HEARTS OUT! Idon'tgivash*te...
    Just leave us F2Players who would rather spend their money elsewhere out of it. Don't mandate payment for progress.
    "Pugs are like Saturday Night Live Sketches.
    Most of em' are awful, some of em are decent, and a few are pretty good."
  • Options
    codewizardcodewizard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to buy more stuff from the ZEN market, but it's too expensive, so they're wasting their time. If it was cheaper they could have more of my hard earned, but because I don't generally make emotional purchases, they won't get it. Their loss I suppose.