test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alittle help for a new cleric regarding stats i should concentrate on.

gatekeeperjgatekeeperj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Temple
Rolled a new cleric and been playing it a couple days now, I'm lvl16 atm.
I've been looking through the forums here, but i am alittle unsure what i should be prioritizing as far as gear stats go.

For leveling up and being effective what should the priority be?
Power/crit/recovery?
Recovery/power/defense?
Any combo of the above?

Not sure if I should stack power/crit to maximize my dmg and heals as i go, or stack recovery to max the amount of time my encounters/dailies are available, or a combonation.

Any tips from experienced Clerics would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if these are noobish questions, just trying to get a handle on what i should be concetrating on as I make choices as far as gear, etc. goes.

Thank you all for your help in advance

Gate.
Post edited by gatekeeperj on

Comments

• Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    At your level you aren't going to see any real differences so I'd advise just to go for what gets you the most. What you should be caring about are your ability scores since you can not change those via gear like you can your stats. Nobody has a Definitive answer to the exact best ratio of WIS:CHA:STR but you clearly need more WIS than CHA and more CHA than STR to get the best possible stats at the end... exactly how much of each is hard to call.
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    20/20/20 str/wis/cha seems optimal to me but i'm 21/18/21 because I love crits and recharge speed.
    It doesen't have such a GREAT impact when you get to 60 and you can practically hoard gears to boost a specific stat up to the 5 thousands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    laudon1laudon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are heavy diminishing returns for recovery and crit in this game. You'll easily reach the soft caps of them through your tier two pieces. I would focus on stacking power only and not stacking anything else (offense wise) because it's the only flat stat.
    Lemonade Stand.
    Dragon Guild
  • Options
    beldukilbeldukil Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    I posted a similar thread today and most of the advice was that it really does not matter leveling up, but crit, recovery, and power are generally considered the most important.
  • Options
    oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    In the end, it's Recovery > All. I spec for Recovery, then tank stats. This reflects what dungeon play actually looks like for a DC:

- Recovery lets you keep your big heals (Forgemaster's, then Astral Shield) up 100% of the time
    - Recovery lets you keep high uptime on your big daily (Hallowed Ground)
    - Your endgame survival talents (Astral Shield, Hallowed Ground + mitigation-oriented feats) cannot crit
    - The only person likely to die is you, unless people stand in red stuff. Most monsters are after your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, not the rogue or the 'tank'

Crit and power *do* help, and you'll naturally pick some up from any set of gear. But the stats that keep you alive are Recovery/ Defense/ Regeneration and even Deflect.

As you're leveling, though, don't worry about it. You level quickly, and you'll replace gear too often to fuss about what stats are on it. In general, favor recovery, avoid armor penetration and grind on until you get Forgemaster's ;) That's when you can actually start healing.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • Options
    laudon1laudon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oghier wrote: »
    In the end, it's Recovery > All. I spec for Recovery, then tank stats. This reflects what dungeon play actually looks like for a DC:

- Recovery lets you keep your big heals (Forgemaster's, then Astral Shield) up 100% of the time
    - Your endgame survival talents (Astral Shield, Hallowed Ground + mitigation-oriented feats) cannot crit
    - The only person likely to die is you, unless people stand in red stuff. Most monsters are after your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, not the rogue or the 'tank'

Crit and power *do* help, and you'll naturally pick some up from any set of gear. But the stats that keep you alive are Recovery/ Defense/ Regeneration and even Deflect.

As you're leveling, though, don't worry about it. You level quickly, and you'll replace gear too often to fuss about what stats are on it. In general, favor recovery, avoid armor penetration and grind on until you get Forgemaster's ;) That's when you can actually start healing.

there are diminishing returns on recovery. It is not smart to stack it after a certain point (~3000). And I'd like to see you have forgemaster up 100% of the time, considering it lasts 5 seconds. It is very easy to reach the softcap of crit and recovery. Regen is a terrible stat. Deflect is decent (it may save you from an aoe nuke).

IMO from a very experienced cleric; Soft Cap recov/crit (3k,2k) > power > Health (radiant in defense) > defense.
    Lemonade Stand.
    Dragon Guild
  • Options
    gatekeeperjgatekeeperj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to everyone for the tips and info, will definitely use this the next time i hop on.

Gate
  • Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    20/20/20 str/wis/cha seems optimal to me but i'm 21/18/21 because I love crits and recharge speed.
    It doesen't have such a GREAT impact when you get to 60 and you can practically hoard gears to boost a specific stat up to the 5 thousands.

20/20/20 Is not optimal unfortunately and even then not all races have the same amount of ability score to begin with. Somebody will probably get the maths eventually but as an estimate I'd say that WIS should be around 24~22, CHA should be around 22~20 and STR should be around 20~18. This is for the optimal results of course, people don't have to stat this way to play the class well.

right now people are suggesting that you want around +33% cooldown recovery and +33% critical with everything else going into power... Critical and Recovery do suffer from DR however and that's why getting to those points via stats alone isn't really viable nor optimal and so you want some ability score in STR and CHA. The reason you want more CHA than STR is that you already start with a 5% critical rating and will get an additional 3% from weapons mastery which is a starting point higher than CHA gets with recovery.
  • Options
    nunavailablenunavailable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    laudon1 wrote: »
    there are diminishing returns on recovery. It is not smart to stack it after a certain point (~3000). And I'd like to see you have forgemaster up 100% of the time, considering it lasts 5 seconds. It is very easy to reach the softcap of crit and recovery. Regen is a terrible stat. Deflect is decent (it may save you from an aoe nuke).

IMO from a very experienced cleric; Soft Cap recov/crit (3k,2k) > power > Health (radiant in defense) > defense.
    The OP was requesting info about stats for leveling. If you can reach 3000+ recovery before lvl 60 I'd be very surprised. For leveling, worrying about caps is simply not worthwhile.

To the OP, all you need to do is prioritize power, recovery, and crit over most other stats. If you run a fair number of dungeons and/or do not choose the tanky pet, you'll likely also need some defense (deflection and HP are nice too).
  • Options
    filcfilc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For leveling use any combination of power/crit/recovery/defense and you will be fine. Once you reach lvl 60, you will know what to do next. :)
  • Options
    datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Some good early level advice here.

In order of importance to me

1.recovery
    2.critical/defence
    3.power
    4.anything else
  • Options
    troodeetroodee Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    while leveling just grab power/crit/recovery in any random order. Take the item that gives you the highest totalt amount.

I second this for endgame priorities. After 3,000 recovery you will have enough time to recast Astral Shield when it expires. As there is no diminishing return on power (1 points of damage/healing per 25 stat points) and a very heavy one on crit, power will become more valuable as you climb up the gear score ladder. The diminishing return on recovery is lower that the one on crit, though.

1% crit at 1,000 stat points costs about 125 stat points, at 2,500 stat points 1% crit costs about 250.
    1% recovery at 1,000 stat points costs about 100 stat points, at 2,500 stat points 1% recovery costs 175 stat points.
    We are not designed to outheal stupidity!
  • Options
    redeclipzeredeclipze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

lmao, this kid has no idea
    BiS DC Seyfried - PvP / CN farm (Dragon Server) 1st Degree Burns

twitch.tv/redeclipze
  • Options
    gleamwargleamwar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    redeclipze wrote: »

Take two seconds and actually give some halfway compelling reason you feel this way.
    Otherwise, your either a troll or a moron, maybe a little bit of both.
  • Options
    cartmanfatfanboycartmanfatfanboy Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    oghier wrote: »

I totally agree. It's IMO the best levelling strategy under one condition - you don't play alone. In such case it can be a bit too slow, but still very viable.

Regen is a terrible stat.
    You made my day :D

gleamwar wrote: »
    redeclipze wrote: »
    Take two seconds and actually give some halfway compelling reason you feel this way.
    Otherwise, your either a troll or a moron, maybe a little bit of both.

You're welcome:

The OP was requesting info about stats for leveling. If you can reach 3000+ recovery before lvl 60 I'd be very surprised. For leveling, worrying about caps is simply not worthwhile.

Touche, nunavailable.
  • Options
    oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited June 2013
    troodee wrote: »
    I second this for endgame priorities. After 3,000 recovery you will have enough time to recast Astral Shield when it expires. As there is no diminishing return on power (1 points of damage/healing per 25 stat points) and a very heavy one on crit, power will become more valuable as you climb up the gear score ladder

I won't argue with your (accurate) math, but what good do crit and power really do us? Have you ever been in a situation where Astral Shield/ Hallowed Ground weren't enough healing, once you hit endgame? If so, wasn't a Forgemaster's Flame cast enough to close the gap?

I've never seem a wipe that would have been avoided had my heals been bigger on somebody else. People die because they stood in too much red, etc, or someone made a mistake. Most of the wipes, however, start with the cleric going down. Therefore, I feel that recovery is the only useful offensive stat, so stack it into DR, then go defense. You'll still get some crit and power on your gear, because gear comes with a variety of stats. But Righteousness means that it's easier to live by gearing (and feating) for mitigation than heal throughput.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)