test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is new spider companion better than Astral Cat or Ioun stone?

wolvesfang1224wolvesfang1224 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey all,

Just saw the update on the zen market for the Spider companion and the dye, and just wanted to know
if the new spider companion is in fact better than the Astral cat or Ioun stone because it has the
ability to fight in combat as well as give players 100% stats (This is my assumption, maybe it doesnt give 100% stats).
Has anyone bought it yet? I am curious to see if it is so I can buy that instead of the cat or stone.

Thanks!
Post edited by wolvesfang1224 on

Comments

• Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Able to fight= dead.
    Logic tells me a dead companion can't give you stats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    kinada350kinada350 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    Whatever gave you the idea that it gives you it's stats?
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't give stats to the owner. It's just a combat pet. What I'm wondering about is why it's referred to on the Zen store site as a Controller Pet. It doesn't appear to have any sort of Controller abilities, just a 'bite' and a 'rake' are listed for it.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    platinu wrote: »
    It doesn't give stats to the owner. It's just a combat pet. What I'm wondering about is why it's referred to on the Zen store site as a Controller Pet. It doesn't appear to have any sort of Controller abilities, just a 'bite' and a 'rake' are listed for it.

Was wondering the same. At first I thought maybe it had the web spell, but no such luck.
  • Options
    nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good to know the devs are working on important things like new store companions as opposed to wasting their time on silly things like login bugs.
  • Options
    mistriosumistriosu Member Posts: 279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Personally I don't care. I can't buy zen anyhow because Boku is down for my provider.
  • Options
    willowbeanwillowbean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You do realize there's are more than one dept in a game Company right?
  • Options
    onigerkoonigerko Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You do realise that at this point in the game, their focus should be on BUGS not more content to make money.

but this is PWI we are talking about, so money money money money is all they care about
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    onigerko wrote: »
    You do realise that at this point in the game, their focus should be on BUGS not more content to make money.

but this is PWI we are talking about, so money money money money is all they care about
    His point is correct. You can't ask the "Market Design" team to work on hard coding. It' be like asking a plumber to perform open heart surgery.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You do realise that at this point in the game, their focus should be on BUGS

So, in what way is a spider not a bug?
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You do realize this companion was in the beta weekends right? All they did is reactivate it on the zen market. took one person about 5 minutes I'm guessing. Let it go
  • Options
    grinningsphinxgrinningsphinx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mistriosu wrote: »
    His point is correct. You can't ask the "Market Design" team to work on hard coding. It' be like asking a plumber to perform open heart surgery.

There should be no "market design" at this point....That comes later.
  • Options
    jjeshopjjeshop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fix game>New companions

It's like, i bring my car to get fixed...

They say the engine block is cracked, the electrical is shot, and the axle is bent.

BUT...We gave you a new paint job!
    IGN: Teseanna

Closed :D Beta :D Tester
    [SIGPIC]i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/jjeshop/ooo-1.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    So, in what way is a spider not a bug?

Technically speaking, a spider is an arachnid, not a bug. A bug is anything from the order of hemiptera.

Now that I have ruined your joke with SCIENCE. My work here is done.

Also, why is a blue pet that does nothing but DPS cost $25 farking dollars? And why is it a Controller when it has no CC abilities?
  • Options
    baohsubaohsu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    All I know is I would doll out 2000 Zen after a period of saving for 3 months for a Gelatinous Cube Companion. It would be like a reward.

I don't know why everyone flips out over the prices. Its all instant gratification this, instant gratification that.

Want a 4000 zen mount? Great, its 110% run speed. That's so far, the max. To me that sounds endgame content. You're level 20? well that's not endgame now is it? Why don't you save up an maybe over the span of a a month or two you'll have 4000 zen.

Everyone is whining about the level of zen this an that, but the game hasn't even been out a month.

Come on people...

I grinded AD during the Double AD weekend amongst 5 alts, so I could purchase the Acolyte of Kelemvor for my GF (guardian fighter, not Girlfriend) as a reward of accomplishment. I wiped my brow, stood tall and congratulated myself. Because I set a goal, and worked to achieve it.
    Foundry author of the "Red Rum Runners" Campaign. Part 1: "WANTED: Physical Labor Needed" and Part 2: "Worst Employer Ever!"
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Bring out the angel companions and we'll talk zen.
  • Options
    xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Whilst I am not after an angel specifically, I do echo the sentiment. Unique and interesting companions might tempt some zen out of me. Generic stuff like wolves, spiders and burly knights not so much. Those should be in the game anyhow. Give me a companion with unique abilities, graphics, personality and voice over work and we'll talk. -.-
  • Options
    baohsubaohsu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    After watching a video about beta weekend pets. I have my sights set on the Ghost Companion.
    Foundry author of the "Red Rum Runners" Campaign. Part 1: "WANTED: Physical Labor Needed" and Part 2: "Worst Employer Ever!"
  • Options
    selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    Their department for marketing and inventing new ideas on what to add in the item shop is likely 10 times as big as the "bugg fixing" department. All F2P companies are money>>>gameplay
  • Options
    dahkohtlewdahkohtlew Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd be all for the gelatinous cube pet , especially if it was stats only, the other pets while I enjoy them are sadly useless because of getting killed far too quickly.

I would like to see what their reasoning is in any that this is a "controller" pet ?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe that the devs are currently working or will work on adding the level 30 powers and final skins to the companions before adding the companion training manuals. Considering that Tomb Spider npcs utilize a web power, then we can deduce that the level 30 power for Tomb Spiders will be a Web power which would explain why the Tomb Spider is classified as a Controller companion even though it currently has no controller powers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dahkohtlew wrote: »
    I'd be all for the gelatinous cube pet , especially if it was stats only, the other pets while I enjoy them are sadly useless because of getting killed far too quickly.

I would like to see what their reasoning is in any that this is a "controller" pet ?

I've discovered that if you put a single Regen item on the pet, it's survivability increases DRASTICALLY.

My wererat thief rarely dies.

And a non combat jelly cube is pointless. It should be a controller pet with the similar "pull into self" skill the Gelatinous Cube in the Water Clock Tower has.
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where's my credit card!!!

I also think it's a bunch of bull**** that they are realeasing new content when there are other important issues to deal with. My only guess is that they've had a team assigned to this type of stuff from the begining... so that team has nothing to do with the "bug fixing" aspect of the development and they are just working on the future content.

Might be a good idea to pull those guys to answer the GM tickets though.... or assign them to fixing bugs... just a thought.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    Where's my credit card!!!

I also think it's a bunch of bull**** that they are realeasing new content when there are other important issues to deal with. My only guess is that they've had a team assigned to this type of stuff from the begining... so that team has nothing to do with the "bug fixing" aspect of the development and they are just working on the future content.

Might be a good idea to pull those guys to answer the GM tickets though.... or assign them to fixing bugs... just a thought.

As others have said, the companions were already available during the Beta Weekend events so it was just a matter of hooking up the companions to the game which would take about 5 minutes. Employees that fix bugs are completely different than employees that create fluff like Companions and Mounts so even if they were working on this, then they can't help with fixing bugs. Might be more important stuff for them to do like create new missions and zones, but Cryptic needs to make a profit as long as they put in enough time to create good content.
  • Options
    nam19772nam19772 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    willowbean wrote: »
    You do realize there's are more than one dept in a game Company right?

You realise most of their dev team has already been moved on to another project right?
  • Options
    leapsfromshadowsleapsfromshadows Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are actually angel companions (Angel of Protection, a Leader) in the game. They are only available through the Ardent coin store and cost 360 Ardent coins. So, nobody can have one for quite some time yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nam19772 wrote: »
    You realise most of their dev team has already been moved on to another project right?

Heh, it's funny because it's true. Anyone remember how the CO devs shifted to STO before it launched?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There are actually angel companions (Angel of Protection, a Leader) in the game. They are only available through the Ardent coin store and cost 360 Ardent coins. So, nobody can have one for quite some time yet.
    Offer an angel that's similar (same rank, power level, etc) but with different skills (for instance an AoE heal on the AC one and a single-target one on the Zen one) and a slightly different appearance.

In fact if they put a different angel for each deity "Guardian of Torm" "Reaper of Kelemvor" etc, they'd sell like ****ing hotcakes.

edit: and for shiggles give us a "Cyrinic Inquisitor"
  • Options
    alacardias1alacardias1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nevfe wrote: »
    Good to know the devs are working on important things like new store companions as opposed to wasting their time on silly things like login bugs.

My thoughts are with you brother! It takes me forever to log in if I logged out in the name market area.