test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lacking role play functionality

2»

Comments

• ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    .... Someone hasn't read the storyline/lore ingame.
    Don't mash up story and lore. Just because two games are set in the same universe and share some lore doesn't mean one's the sequel of the other, nor should one expect the mechanics to match. It's like expecting that the Warhammer 40k TPS plays exactly like the RTS games. It's unreasonable.

I still don't see you offering any concrete examples of where the story matches. Go on, prove me wrong.
    I've tired the foundry and I'm upset. I was attempting to recreate the server known as Wrydwood Forest but alas; the maps don't off the kind of dense woodlands that NWN did.
    Have you played Zebular's Dweomerkeepers campaign? The quests there have some dense-looking woods, maybe you should ask him for some pointers.

Though a server isn't something you'll be able to make - the tool is for making quests. Can't expect to use a hammer to cut meat.

ranguren wrote: »
    well, they put "doesnt affect the game" at Background and Deity, which it should. and no Alignment systems, which can be use for "punishing" people in some way
    BG had minor, almost negligible effect in NWN games. There's no strict alignment in DnD 4e.
  • theamorabunnytheamorabunny Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    I never claimed it was a sequel to anything; I did however point that this Neverwinter comes off of NeverWinter Nights. As for concrete evidence? For pun sake, check out deekin street in the enclave. "Nashers" should give you a major hint as well. The city is trying to repair itself in this time frame, I would assume this Neverwinter takes place several years in the future after NWN.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just because the game is called "Neverwinter" it does not need to imitate "Neverwinter Nights". That reasoning is flawed. Another thing is that it takes in account events of NwN (I believe there was a lore piece speaking about The Wailing Death? That was the NwN 1 campaign).

I see where you're going, but frankly, this is the NwN1 vs NwN2 discussion again. People complaining how the sequel wasn't as good as the first because it wasn't so good to RP (when 90% of the RP tools were made by the community and once done, of course, people are lazy and don't want to build them all over again in a second game).

If you believe that this game should have more things of Neverwinter Nights, deeming it is its spiritual successor, I personally agree. I would love some more RP functionality, better emotes, more customization tools. That would be wonderful. But suggesting these improvements goes a long way from saying that it's impossible to RP in this game (RP is possible as long as you have people to do it!).
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game is not based on NWN/2. It is based on D&D, using the CO engine.

try /walk 1 /walk 0, not sure if it works in NWO.

Peace.

This, Cryptic's Neverwinter is in NO WAY affilitiated with Bioware's Neverwinter Nights, they are different developers and different games. This game is not "based" on anything having to do with those, not the same engine, not the same company, nothing. Their only commonality is that they both take place in The Forgotton Realms on the Sword Coast near the city of Neverwinter which is a campaign setting in D&D, not something Bioware invented. This game also is based off of the 4E rules of D&D and their take on The Forgotton Realms which got massively overhauled for that edition with the Spellplague and death of Mystra.

Please stop basing assumptions and expectations on Neverwinter Nights, these are separate games FFS!
  • ninjaclarinetninjaclarinet Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is one of the most bland places in Faerun. There's many better places to set up an MMO. Besides, the Neverwinter IG looks more like Stormwind than it does any version of Neverwinter I've read about (even down to the blue and gold lion banners). You can't honestly think they didn't chose the locale to cash in on the name rather than any qualities unique to the city itself.
  • theamorabunnytheamorabunny Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Please stop basing assumptions and expectations on Neverwinter Nights, these are separate games FFS!

Forgive me for a developer, who tanked Star Trek Online, would have sat back and pulled the best things that were apart of NWN into this MMO to make it actually succeed instead of the money scheme we have currently. I should've known better, specially upon seeing "Caturday Survivor" title not to take this game seriously, or that it would be worth the time invested.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Forgive me for a developer, who tanked Star Trek Online, would have sat back and pulled the best things that were apart of NWN into this MMO to make it actually succeed instead of the money scheme we have currently. I should've known better, specially upon seeing "Caturday Survivor" title not to take this game seriously, or that it would be worth the time invested.

The more you talk the more it is becoming obvious that this simply isn't the game for you. And to add to this you came here with a clear bias against Cryptic. Its obvious your expectations have not been met. Weather they ever could is a debate for another topic.

Either way, no real harm done. Its a free game, the initial investment, for most, is nothing. And that is a small price to pay to find out something isn't a good fit. I hope you find a game more to your liking. I say this, because I mean it, but also because wasting your time here trying to make this game into something it is not, will only serve to add to your current level of bias, frustration, and eventual anger.
  • kurokuroinkurokuroin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Holy ****, not another one... (-_-;;
    Why are there ALWAYS people whining about not being able to RP properly in every single bloody MMO out there. There are lots of other games that are built a lot better for RPing. Unfortunately, Neverwinter Online, is not one of them, and is targeting an entirely different crowd altogether. Accept that fact and move on to a better game for you. If you insist on staying and playing a game that will never give the experience that you're looking for, then you're just being plain stubborn and silly.
  • xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From the 1st entry in the FAQ:
    Q: What is Neverwinter?
    Neverwinter is a free, action MMORPG based on the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. Epic stories, action combat and classic roleplaying await those heroes courageous enough to enter the fantastic world of Neverwinter!

When I read that, I was ecstatic. Some of it holds true, IMO for sure, but 'classic roleplaying' is not something I think this game even really attempts to touch on in any way at this point.
    I also feel it has almost nothing to do in any way with D&D in general. I felt that when I encounter The Harbinger 'wight' at the end of the intro in the first closed beta i played (2nd BWE, I believe), and since then there hasn't been much to make me change my mind about that.

It's still a decent enough game, and the combat is fun; but I have to admit there was a phase of feeling a bit mislead about the game from it's description. blame it on my own expectations, if you will.
    Did the betas, found it enjoyable enough to still be around; solely on it's own merits.

It is entirely possible that more RP ability could be added into the game. I personally feel such would broaden the appeal of the game and attract more players.