test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lacking role play functionality

theamorabunnytheamorabunny Member Posts: 41
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Title. Aspect:
NWN, which this game is based off of, had great built in role playing functionality that helped in online modules. Some of those features are missing in this game:

- Radial menu, making emotes and gestures far easier to access
- No method to "walk"
- No RP server. Yet?
- Voice aspects along with emotes
- Customization in characters other than everyone having the exact same armor class/weapon for their class. Weapon fighters can fight with anything, they shouldn't be limited to just a giant sword.
- No character voices.

The game is labeled as a role playing game, but I've yet to see any form of role playing take place that made NWN enjoyable. Is this the intended goal?

Eddie1.jpg

Eddie2.jpg
Post edited by theamorabunny on

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a method to walk. You will need to bind a key to it.
    Syntax should be /bind 0 ++walk
    Switch out 0 for any key you would like. The ++ allows the key to act as a toggle. Press once to turn it on, press again to turn it off.

And I don't expect an RP server to ever be in the cards. Cryptic is hard set on having a single unified shard. That said, having that has not diminished RP in either STO or CO. So I wouldn't stress over it to much. Honestly, I expect you'll see more RP once a bit of the newness wears off. I expect most folks are still riding the level train and exploring the game. In my own experiences, RP tends to be a downtime pastime.

As far as your last point, I agree totally. We need more weapon skins. We need more weapon types. We need more variety across the board. The game makes me feel like i'm in some kind of school and we are restricted to academy approved uniforms and fighting styles.
  • theamorabunnytheamorabunny Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Oh nice, the key binding does work!

For the most part, anyone who's played NWN will know the kind of RP functionality I'm speaking of. Your character "Laughing" without a voice behind it is sort of lame. I miss my cold chuckle...

And yes, I shouldn't be limited to, as a cleric, a hand mirror for damage and healing.
  • swamprobswamprob Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    From an RP'ing standpoint, I don't agree with you regarding character voices, unless they are going to give us quite a few to choose from. When I create a character in tabletop RPG'ing, I have a distinct idea of how his voice sounds. If the voice the game provided was quite different from that, it would lessen my immersion, not increase it.

And as much as I've tried, I've never found a true RP server in ANY online game, unless it was less than 10 people total, like a virtual table top.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah Neverwinter doesn't have the Cryptic style of customization and it hurts the RP potential, it's not killing it though as I see quite a but in some of the Inns and Taverns especially the Moonstone...STO was the same way now DS9 is a huge hub of RP activity and CO has a decent RP community as well, I think as things progress we will come into our own...just going to take time.

Oh and Sockmunky you are AWESOME for passing along the walk bind, been wanting to know how to do that forever.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • andervinandervin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Ugh, roreplay request with a brony profile pic. Not surprising.
    edited May 2013
    swamprob wrote: »
    From an RP'ing standpoint, I don't agree with you regarding character voices, unless they are going to give us quite a few to choose from. When I create a character in tabletop RPG'ing, I have a distinct idea of how his voice sounds. If the voice the game provided was quite different from that, it would lessen my immersion, not increase it.

And as much as I've tried, I've never found a true RP server in ANY online game, unless it was less than 10 people total, like a virtual table top.

Did you try NeverWinter Nights? 90% of all online mods were RP heavy. Anphillia comes immediately to mind as one of the best.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, someone already pointed out the walk emote bind good,

Mindflayer, is the unofficial RP server
    there are a lot of rpers in moonstone mask though thanks to it being an IC brothel most of the rpers seem to be meeting in Foundry missions or zone taverns thus splitting up the general BaRP people.

Also there is a global channel NWRP for ooc chat about rp and "TalkingStones" for IC rp with the theme of a mad wizard has scattered these Comm like rocks around for adventurers to pick up and chat on.

Customization is harder here than most of cryptics games due to the fact you often have the choice between either looking like everyone else of your class/level, or the fashion objects which give you the choice between belly dancer and Disney princess with nothing in the middle. id like one of those peasant girl tops all the bar wenches wear and a top that doesn't leave my midriff exposed.

the only pants available look like rags unless colored very specifically, and most the dresses fly up and show your panties at the slightest motion. though I've actually only been scolded for dressing inappropriately when wearing the only skirt that does not show underwear the aforementioned Disney princess skirt. of course if I hadn't wanted to stay IC and a bit aloof id have said "inappropriate here? you should see me try to backstab pirates in this thing" ((yep I put it on my rogue cause its fun to watch her flip around in a hoopskirt))

to make matters worse outfits are items that fill up your bank space rather than costume slots like CO and sto so you don't want to get more than you are acutally going to use. and since not all colours are available via independent dye you have to be pretty clever with dye packs to get white gold silver or brown. but as for non outfit customizability ive been able to do some pretty fun things with sliders. see my sig.

also We NEED a sit chair, wall lean, drink, and some other basic basics. it would be nice if you could have chat up in observe mode so you can scroll in while rping and see who your talking to. I often position myself near a wall or arch to get a closer up view. and we really need stances like in CO and sto my mage constantly looks like shes ready to smack someone.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    agreed for real
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
    edited May 2013
    Well now I wish I had rolled on Mindslayer. I had calculated that most of the bad apples would have clicked on the first server and went from there. Needless to say I rolled on Dragon.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can also bind emotes to keys, so if there are some you use often, bind them to someplace convenient, like the number pad.

As for wardrobe - I imagine that's what the casual clothing toggle is for. It's too bad that there isn't a large enough selection to choose from ATM. Perhaps they could make it so you could put regular gear in there - it wouldn't provide any bonuses, just cosmetic looks, (so if you found a piece of gear you liked the look of, you could display it there instead).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Title. Aspect:
    NWN, which this game is based off of, had great built in role playing functionality that helped in online modules. Some of those features are missing in this game:

- No method to "walk"
    - No RP server. Yet?
    - Customization in characters other than everyone having the exact same armor class/weapon for their class. Weapon fighters can fight with anything, they shouldn't be limited to just a giant sword.
    - No character voices.

The game is labeled as a role playing game, but I've yet to see any form of role playing take place that made NWN enjoyable. Is this the intended goal?

According to your name, you are a bunny, but according to your avatar, you are a pony. This is madness!
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • leonthorleonthor Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I rp and I am on dragon, so hit me up if you happen to see a halfelf rogue by the name of janile starbrow.
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Title. Aspect:

- No method to "walk"
    - No RP server. Yet?
    - No character voices.

Aren't you the same person that tells everyone it's just beta?

Well it's just beta, wait until launch "rolls-eyes"
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    Aren't you the same person that tells everyone it's just beta?

Well it's just beta, wait until launch "rolls-eyes"

RPers are still in games even during BETA.
    Aion comes to mind. SW:TOR comes to mind.
    edited May 2013
    The good times of actual role playing. Examples from NWN:

g4y.jpg

Eddie1.jpg

Eddie2.jpg
    edited May 2013
    whack1.jpg

whack2.jpg

whack3.jpg
    edited May 2013
    This is the kind of environment NWN encouraged and geared towards. We don't have this kind of atmosphere in this game and its sad to see such a state from a DnD game.
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    NWN <3 (I still play occasionally on a Greyhawk persistent world, although I have spent time in more RP-heavy servers).

One of my favorite emotes was the "this lock needs a gentle touch" (or something close to that) and then proceed to bash the door in by force. :D
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game isn't reeeally based on NWN or NWN2 (notice the lack of the word "nights" in the title as well as lack of continuity). In fact, there's little in common other than it's set in the same city.
    edited May 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    This game isn't reeeally based on NWN or NWN2 (notice the lack of the word "nights" in the title as well as lack of continuity). In fact, there's little in common other than it's set in the same city.

The game creators (Cryptic) talk about it being an epic role playing adventure. They basically took NeverWinter storyline and put it into an MMO. Hence the based upon. However they haven't even come close to adding in the RP functionality that was present in NWN.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Title. Aspect:

- No method to "walk"
    - No RP server. Yet?
    - No character voices.

This game is labeled as an MMORPG, it isn't Neverwinter Nights 3. Stop making false assumptions and confusing people.

There are currently ways to customize, though the options are limited. You can equip GWF with weapons that aren't Claymores (there are clubs, axes, etc... Most are either from drops or purchasable for AD).

I am game for any improvements to enhance our RP experience, but let's not incurr in falacies (like saying this game should be like X because I have certain expectations of what this game should be like and not what it is).
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    This game is labeled as an MMORPG, it isn't Neverwinter Nights 3. Stop making false assumptions and confusing people.

There are currently ways to customize, though the options are limited. You can equip GWF with weapons that aren't Claymores (there are clubs, axes, etc... Most are either from drops or purchasable for AD).

I am game for any improvements to enhance our RP experience, but let's not incurr in falacies (like saying this game should be like X because I have certain expectations of what this game should be like and not what it is).

And that's the screwed up part; its based on DnD, you SHOULD expect things. You SHOULD expect there to be DnD rulesets in place and not a game that claims to be "based on" that is just another game with DnD title slapped on it. The game, IMO based on vast experience, wont go far like this. Its trying too hard to be a WoW contender instead of attempting to be something great.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game creators (Cryptic) talk about it being an epic role playing adventure. They basically took NeverWinter storyline and put it into an MMO. Hence the based upon. However they haven't even come close to adding in the RP functionality that was present in NWN.

Skyrim is an epic roleplaying adventure. The b@stards at Bethesda must've stolen NWN franchise as well! Lol.

There is literally NO intersection between NWN story and NWO story. If you claim there is, I dare you to demonstrate it.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And that's the screwed up part; its based on DnD, you SHOULD expect things. You SHOULD expect there to be DnD rulesets in place and not a game that claims to be "based on" that is just another game with DnD title slapped on it. The game, IMO based on vast experience, wont go far like this. Its trying too hard to be a WoW contender instead of attempting to be something great.

Vast experience? On what? Really, I think you're acting too self entitled, at least for what you think it's valid or not. And if you're going to start a WoW comparison, I'll tell you a couple of things: WoW isn't the most popular MMO, neither the most sucessful, or even the best.

Heck, D&D isn't even the best kind of game to RP. It's just a popular option, but it's really lacking in some aspects (such as the shallow alignment system, the black/white kind of dicotomy that doesn't allow for options, class/based and level/based systems...).

But let's talk about this game.

Long ago, when Cryptic took the job to develop this game, they said they were making an MMO out of it. That it was going to be based on D&D 4th edition. And they delivered. I expected a 4th edition D&D based MMO. And this is it.

And about Neverwinter Nights.

Neverwinter Nights was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The vanilla game, I mean. It only had 13 classes, half of them broken because they used D&D 3.0 (Ranger was garbage). The only thing that made it enjoyable and the reason why I played it so many years was because of the private, community-developed RP servers. Not something planned by the developers, but players. Cryptic probably has a lot of NwN players and knows this: hence the Foundry. And they've told that they're planning to give it RP functionality.
    Characters:

edited May 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Skyrim is an epic roleplaying adventure. The b@stards at Bethesda must've stolen NWN franchise as well! Lol.

There is literally NO intersection between NWN story and NWO story. If you claim there is, I dare you to demonstrate it.

.... Someone hasn't read the storyline/lore ingame.
    edited May 2013
    Vast experience? On what? Really, I think you're acting too self entitled, at least for what you think it's valid or not. And if you're going to start a WoW comparison, I'll tell you a couple of things: WoW isn't the most popular MMO, neither the most sucessful, or even the best.
    Vast experience beta testing/playing numerous games, from FPS, RTS and MMORPGs. Wasn't going to mention WoW but I need to point something out: It is the most successful. Its still going strong with the subscription platform. Lord of the Rings, Star Trek online, Star Wars TOR... look where they ended up. A simple number crunch highlights how successful it is.
    Long ago, when Cryptic took the job to develop this game, they said they were making an MMO out of it. That it was going to be based on D&D 4th edition. And they delivered. I expected a 4th edition D&D based MMO. And this is it.
    I never remember anywhere that someone with heavy armor and 8 dex can just dodge willie nillie against attacks. That you can constantly keep using spells all the time without rest. etc etc.
    And about Neverwinter Nights.

Neverwinter Nights was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The vanilla game, I mean. It only had 13 classes, half of them broken because they used D&D 3.0 (Ranger was garbage). The only thing that made it enjoyable and the reason why I played it so many years was because of the private, community-developed RP servers. Not something planned by the developers, but players. Cryptic probably has a lot of NwN players and knows this: hence the Foundry. And they've told that they're planning to give it RP functionality.
    Where have they claimed they would introduce RP functionality? I wont hold my breath on Cryptic promises.
  • ninjaclarinetninjaclarinet Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another long term player and DM of neverwinter nights RP persistent worlds. A relative simple nod to us hardcore folk might be to have one or two of the instances on the lists labeled as "RP friendly"
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    well, they put "doesnt affect the game" at Background and Deity, which it should. and no Alignment systems, which can be use for "punishing" people in some way
    edited May 2013
    Vast experience beta testing/playing numerous games, from FPS, RTS and MMORPGs. Wasn't going to mention WoW but I need to point something out: It is the most successful. Its still going strong with the subscription platform. Lord of the Rings, Star Trek online, Star Wars TOR... look where they ended up. A simple number crunch highlights how successful it is.

There was a post around (not sure where it is) that claimed different numbers. WoW is indeed a good MMORPG, though I doubt that its the most sucessful, specially after WotLK. From what I've know, most people are turning towards the FtP market as few are willing to pay a forced suscription to experience the same thing after more than 7 years, being able to get content for free access.

I fail to see how does any FPS experience has to do with RP. I could also tell you a game that's currently more played than WoW then, and it's not even an MMORPG. But again, we're talking about RP, right? Then that argument is biased. You need to compare things in equal grounds: your complaint comes from not being able to experience RP in a game, and... you don't play an FPS to experience that.
    I never remember anywhere that someone with heavy armor and 8 dex can just dodge willie nillie against attacks. That you can constantly keep using spells all the time without rest. etc etc.

The only character class that can use Heavy Armor in this game is the GF and they don't have a dodge mechanic. Mail is about 4 AC and it allows for a Dex bonus. Also, you don't need to have 16 Dex to know how to dodge: those mechanics are usually represented as Feats (Spring Attack, Mobility, Dodge...) Yes, most require 13 Dex in most editions, but again, this is not PnP and it doesn't need to be a literal translation. I fail to see where scores should dictate 100% your RP.

Where have they claimed they would introduce RP functionality? I wont hold my breath on Cryptic promises.

Just check the podcasts. If giving players ability to make their own instances and houses, towns, cities, etc, isn't giving RP functionality... Heck, I'd like to know what it is.
    Characters:

edited May 2013
    There was a post around (not sure where it is) that claimed different numbers. WoW is indeed a good MMORPG, though I doubt that its the most sucessful, specially after WotLK. From what I've know, most people are turning towards the FtP market as few are willing to pay a forced suscription to experience the same thing after more than 7 years, being able to get content for free access.

I fail to see how does any FPS experience has to do with RP. I could also tell you a game that's currently more played than WoW then, and it's not even an MMORPG. But again, we're talking about RP, right? Then that argument is biased. You need to compare things in equal grounds: your complaint comes from not being able to experience RP in a game, and... you don't play an FPS to experience that.
    It was directed towards my beta testing experience, there's no need to be coy and go off on a tangent. Equally, there are some RP elements out there in FPS games.

The only character class that can use Heavy Armor in this game is the GF and they don't have a dodge mechanic. Mail is about 4 AC and it allows for a Dex bonus. Also, you don't need to have 16 Dex to know how to dodge: those mechanics are usually represented as Feats (Spring Attack, Mobility, Dodge...) Yes, most require 13 Dex in most editions, but again, this is not PnP and it doesn't need to be a literal translation. I fail to see where scores should dictate 100% your RP.
    I'm a strict DnD nutcase, so pardon my biased outlook on how something based on DnD should operate.

Just check the podcasts. If giving players ability to make their own instances and houses, towns, cities, etc, isn't giving RP functionality... Heck, I'd like to know what it is.
    An instance that people have to search for... lol. Oh god.
    I've tired the foundry and I'm upset. I was attempting to recreate the server known as Wrydwood Forest but alas; the maps don't off the kind of dense woodlands that NWN did.