test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

About those who have been banned for exploiting.

maguswintermaguswinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
:cool:Isn't this game in Beta still? "Open Beta"?:cool:

Maybe I am too old fashion but Beta to me means, STILL IN TESTING. In my honest opinion, if you are going to keep the good old BETA tag in front of your title, to me; that tells me to find as many bugs and exploits as I can and see how far it actually can go; then report it; then keep testing it until it is fixed.

Am I wrong, or does Beta mean something else now days? Because as I see it, anyone who got banned for exploiting anything, including the diamonds/AH/dungeons/etc should never have gotten banned. At the same time; because the BETA tag is still on the title; be it "OPEN BETA" specifically, a full character wipe should not have been out of the question. Furthermore, you should never promise "no character wipes" while you still have "Beta" anywhere in your game title.

The players who exploited their systems should have been commended and rewarded in my honest opinion.

Thank you for your time.
New comers need some help? Add my induction ID in the code space provided in the top left corner of your character creation screen. You will get special items as you level up and I'll be here to guide you.

Server: Aquarius EAST
Induction ID: 4270193G090405038000750S3f8fb2
Post edited by maguswinter on

Comments

• ali495ali495 Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Or they're meant to report the bug and not exploit it. Points for trying though.
    When the cold of winter comes starless night will cover day,
    In the veiling of the sun we will walk in bitter rain.
    But in dreams I can hear your name,
    And in dreams we will meet again.

<3
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree with this original post. Makes no sense to have such an immature and regressive policy towards the community.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you use an exploit for your own gain and don't report it you can indeed get banned from a game. Beta or no.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maguswintermaguswinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is still Beta, and when you open your doors to thousands of people, exploits will be found and abused; but that is the point of a beta. Im sick of companies coining OPEN BETA and something that it is not.
    New comers need some help? Add my induction ID in the code space provided in the top left corner of your character creation screen. You will get special items as you level up and I'll be here to guide you.

• druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    Testing means finding a bugs and reporting it, NOT exploiting it to an extreme and ruining the ingame economy.

And this is also how you know Neverwinter right now is a soft launch, not an open beta, since they aren't wiping.
  • maguswintermaguswinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you use an exploit for your own gain and don't report it you can indeed get banned from a game. Beta or no.

even those who reported the exploits were banned.

• lordofscornlordofscorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Finding bugs and reporting on said bugs is one thing, exploiting and taking advantage of said bugs is another.
    edited May 2013
    Immature? =\ Are we meant to believe people are just wanting to test for the good of the community? lol

<3
  • nalravnalrav Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    ali495 wrote: »
    Or they're meant to report the bug and not exploit it. Points for trying though.

No character wipes= not really a beta. Its just a term they(PWE and many other corps) use to let us know there will be bugs.
    edited May 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »
    Testing means finding a bugs and reporting it, NOT exploiting it to an extreme and ruining the ingame economy.

And this is also how you know Neverwinter right now is a soft launch, not an open beta, since they aren't wiping.

Says, "NOW IN OPEN BETA!" right on their homepage, so don't try to tell me it is not open beta. It is what it is; and "EXPLOITING BUGS" is what a BETA is for...

• krayzedonekrayzedone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tend to agree. PWI can't hide behind "BETA" for obvious problems and bugs and then turn around and act like the game is fully live.
    edited May 2013
    nalrav wrote: »
    No character wipes= not really a beta. Its just a term they(PWE and many other corps) use to let us know there will be bugs.

I didn't even use the word beta. I said people are meant to report bugs and not exploit them. That's a general rule, I think. I'm not even touching the beta/soft launch debate.

<3
    edited May 2013
    I would prefer them to remove the beta tag from their site all together, then tell people to play by the rules, bug testing/exploiting is over. Then ban everyone who does it after their statements.

• lordofscornlordofscorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Beta is not a free pass to exploit things to benefit yourself, no matter how you may twist it.
    edited May 2013
    I won't disagree with you on the beta thing. But the original post was too defensive of exploiters.

<3
    edited May 2013
    If a company came to me and said, look this game is pretty much finished, can you please gather as many people you can and test it out of us? I would look for as many bugs as I could, see how far and how damaging they can be exploited, then report the end findings to the company. Saying, come play with us, this game is OPEN BETA means just that.

• iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP- as you said, it's in Beta. If you got banned, just make a new account when launch hits!

After all, you weren't going to keep all those items you exploited or the level 60s you got in two hours, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    OP- as you said, it's in Beta. If you got banned, just make a new account when launch hits!

After all, you weren't going to keep all those items you exploited or the level 60s you got in two hours, right?

I actually never exploited anything nor did I play enough to find any real bugs.

edited May 2013

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away
    Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air
    You better watch out
    There may be dogs about
    I've looked over Jordan and I have seen
    Things are not what they seem.

What do you get for pretending the danger's not real
    Meek and obedient you follow the leader
    Down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel
    What a surprise!
    A look of terminal shock in your eyes
    Now things are really what they seem
    No, this is no bad dream.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
    He makes me down to lie
    Through pastures green he leadeth me the silent waters by
    With bright knives he releaseth my soul
    He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places
    He converteth me to lamb cutlets
    For lo,m he hath great power and great hunger
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.

Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a scream
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Have you heard the news?
    The dogs are dead!
    You better stay home
    And do as you're told
    Get out of the road if you want to grow old.

-"Sheep" Pink Floyd
  • kieronblackkieronblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this game is in Open Beta, then I am the President of Mars.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Says, "NOW IN OPEN BETA!" right on their homepage, so don't try to tell me it is not open beta. It is what it is; and "EXPLOITING BUGS" is what a BETA is for...

No "exploiting bugs" is not what a beta is for. Stop trying to defend ******baggery. The exploiters have hurt the entire game community by their actions. Finding and reporting bugs is definitely part of beta. Exploiting, no. FTR I have reported many bugs both in the CBWs and since and have never been banned because I do not break the rules. Pretty simple really.
    edited May 2013
    It's only considered an exploit if you don't pay for it... amirite?
  • immortaltenzhiimmortaltenzhi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ali495 wrote: »
    I didn't even use the word beta. I said people are meant to report bugs and not exploit them. That's a general rule, I think. I'm not even touching the beta/soft launch debate.

Openly and widely exploiting the bug turned out to be a very efficient way to bring it to their attention.
    edited May 2013
    /goingtobed

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is such bunk. Everyone is saying all these exploits where known in closed beta. Everyone reported them. So then why did these exploits only become wide spread after closed beta? I cant think of one single wide spread exploit used on the closed weekends. Odd for something everyone in the know, supposedly knew about. And no one overly exploited it in beta..odd.

Its simple. No point in breaking the game when you cant profit from it. Those who knew about the exploits, those who tested it. Waited until now to make use of them. They wanted to use them when it mattered.

They can claim testing all they like. They knew exactly what they were doing. You cant pretend to use the whole "Beta" excuse as a shield. When at the same time you hold off on on exploiting until you know it can do the most damage.
    edited May 2013
    Blaming and banning exploiters is completely missing the forest for the trees. A better question should be; why are exploits even a problem [in a ****ing video game!]?
  • theamorabunnytheamorabunny Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Finding bugs yes. Exploiting said bugs no. This isn't a difficult concept, OP.
  • beanyundeadbeanyundead Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    This is a definition of beta-testing obtained from Carlos Delano Buskey "A Software Metrics Based Approach to Enterprise SoftwareBeta Testing Design" (School of Computer Science & Information Systems,Pace University 2005)P2

A test of software that is still under development accomplished by having peopleactually using the software. In a beta test, a software product is sent to selected potential customers and influential end users (known asbeta sites), who test its
    functionality and report any operational or utilization errors (bugs) found. The beta test is usually one of the last steps a software developer takes before releasing the product to market; however, if the beta sites indicate that the software has operational difficulties or an extraordinary number of bugs, the developer may conduct more beta tests before the software is released to
    customers.” - It is about identifying errors and assessing functionality. Exploits are covered in the functionality section, but we assess functionality issues, we do not engage and profit by them as beta-testers.
    "Although, software manufacturers recognize beta testing as a formal and important element of software testing, and most industry dictionaries and glossaries provide formal definitions for beta testing, there are no existing standards or models for this form of software testing" - There are no established systems for 'how to beta-test' only definitions for what beta-testing actually is. So it makes absolutely no sense to say 'this is a beta-test so we must do the following'.
    Beta testing is simple in the end. Assess but don't exploit functionality. Report errors. Don't be a ******!
  • dockilljoydockilljoy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you guys tried to report an exploit? If you use the system in-game, an error pops up stating you cannot connect to the report bug server. lol.

I found a bug. You can't report bugs/exploits.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All the fresh new May 2013's crying about the ban policy.

makes you go hmmmm.

Good job Cryptic.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
This discussion has been closed.