test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Finsihing all content within two weeks of game releasing.

2»

Comments

• j4utnj4utn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's the "experienced" (I'm presuming by that term you mean those who jump to each one as it releases) MMO players that are killing MMO's, they are all about the race to max level and when they get there they start *****ing about no end content etc. Then they start being elitist arseholes (minimum gearscores etc.) until the next game comes out and they return to the forums to ***** about the game dying as they switch to their next victim.

I've been playing MMO's for over 15 years and I realised a long time ago that the majority of MMO's are about the journey rather than the destination. I take my time, I'll get to max level in a month or two, just as the end game content starts to arrive. I'll explore along the way, I'll level by questing so I get to see all the content that the devs have spent years on. Plus it's not till the "exerienced" MMOers have left after their free 30 days is up that the game gets good (or at least zone chat returns to some form of normality).

I'd like to go back to an old school MMO where you spent days if not weeks in the same place pulling the same mobs, blimey you'd spend the first 3 or 4 hours waiting for a slot to open in a group! You'd fight your way into a dungeon and then get stuck because one of the party had to leave, if you were lucky you had enough players left to fight your way back to the entrance where you knew a dozen or so players were stood for hours waiting for a group. Halcyon days indeed but we've become hungry for instant gratification and 90% of current "experienced" MMO players would burst a blood vessel if they found out it took more than a fortnight / month to reach max level and another month to gear up to be able to try the hardest content.

These developers work hard to make content, ask any of them and they'll all tell you that it's content that takes the greatest amount of time. Respect that effort by playing the content they created rather than spamming chat for Foundry groups or PVP afking 'cause it gives 1/2 a level in 10 mins etc.

To all of you that are obsessed with hitting max level as soon as possible, think about what you are doing and think about how much value you are getting from these games. Is it really enjoyable or is it worse than working? Because from the amount of moaning and whining it sounds like you're spoiling the games for yourselves.
  • kroandarkroandar Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    j4utn wrote: »
    It's the "experienced" (I'm presuming by that term you mean those who jump to each one as it releases) MMO players that are killing MMO's, they are all about the race to max level and when they get there they start *****ing about no end content etc. Then they start being elitist arseholes (minimum gearscores etc.) until the next game comes out and they return to the forums to ***** about the game dying as they switch to their next victim.

I've been playing MMO's for over 15 years and I realised a long time ago that the majority of MMO's are about the journey rather than the destination. I take my time, I'll get to max level in a month or two, just as the end game content starts to arrive. I'll explore along the way, I'll level by questing so I get to see all the content that the devs have spent years on. Plus it's not till the "exerienced" MMOers have left after their free 30 days is up that the game gets good (or at least zone chat returns to some form of normality).

I'd like to go back to an old school MMO where you spent days if not weeks in the same place pulling the same mobs, blimey you'd spend the first 3 or 4 hours waiting for a slot to open in a group! You'd fight your way into a dungeon and then get stuck because one of the party had to leave, if you were lucky you had enough players left to fight your way back to the entrance where you knew a dozen or so players were stood for hours waiting for a group. Halcyon days indeed but we've become hungry for instant gratification and 90% of current "experienced" MMO players would burst a blood vessel if they found out it took more than a fortnight / month to reach max level and another month to gear up to be able to try the hardest content.

These developers work hard to make content, ask any of them and they'll all tell you that it's content that takes the greatest amount of time. Respect that effort by playing the content they created rather than spamming chat for Foundry groups or PVP afking 'cause it gives 1/2 a level in 10 mins etc.

To all of you that are obsessed with hitting max level as soon as possible, think about what you are doing and think about how much value you are getting from these games. Is it really enjoyable or is it worse than working? Because from the amount of moaning and whining it sounds like you're spoiling the games for yourselves.

There are times when I honestly miss old school EQ days when people played together at a spot and would fight enemies for hours on end. Leveling was ridiculously slow (in old EQ1 before revamps) and people came to get to know other players and the community, as well as gain an appreciation for the game world.
    18.jpg
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    j4utn wrote: »

Yes, those were better days. None of this que for dungeon, run dungeon, que, run same dungeon, repeat. Companies might as well forgo the open world content and just design 20 dungeons per level bracket and a town to hang out in. It is all about the speed and bragging these days.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I did the same thing in Rift and Aion.

We rushed to end and we all pretty much quit. Bam...burn out.

I no longer feel the need to blaze the trails.

I refocused and view it as a hobby much like playing bat mud in the early 90's thru '05.

Good luck to you in your next few games.
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey look, it is that thread that appears in the forums of every MMO ever!