test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So what's the point of having gears?

Comments

• john242424john242424 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's why I am starting to see players playing the game in pvp without any gear on and still dominating. I'm dead serious!
    Frosted Lucky Charms are Magically Delicious!
  • onodrakonodrak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    Fashion Items
  • warcelwarcel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it is a bug. I just think the dmg scale is that smooth on power so the level design is smooth from 1 to 60.
    Gibe Moni Plos
  • pieszczotekpieszczotek Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the diagram. Does anybody know about a damage calculator or any good resources about damage scaling from stats?
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm definitely seeing Wizards starting to run around naked in PvP, and it doesn't affect them at all. That takes me back to the days of WoW, where there was a Rogue who made a video of himself dominating others in the open world not just naked, but with a low level dagger. I used to do that on my Scythe Evie in Vindictus, too, because it was dodge or die on that character, anyway.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    edited May 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    I'm definitely seeing Wizards starting to run around naked in PvP, and it doesn't affect them at all. That takes me back to the days of WoW, where there was a Rogue who made a video of himself dominating others in the open world not just naked, but with a low level dagger. I used to do that on my Scythe Evie in Vindictus, too, because it was dodge or die on that character, anyway.

-Travail.

Are you sure they are not in Fashion Mode?
  • bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh dear this is bad. Not as bad as caturday but almost. Cryptic has built a game veiled in ambiguity, with absolutely no disclosure on what stats, feats, abilities actually do. People are paying $6 a respec to mathcraft and stumbling across all the "shortcomings" of the inner mechanics. This is a beta, why are we PAYING to test the absolute core (stat mechanics) of their game?
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW
  • krayzedonekrayzedone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hatz03 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, as you may have noticed my title is a bit sarcastic though i think you will aghast on the things that i will post on this thread regarding our so called "Gears".

To start it all off have you noticed that your damage doesn't really improve even if you have pump up alot of Power? or even added some Armor Penetration?

this is why..............

on this 1st image is my Character a Trickster Rouge. (As you can see it has an 8,673 Attack/Healing)
    eq35oh.png

on this 2nd image I've used Lashing Blade on a Dummy with a Full geared 8,673 Attack/Healing, The Lashing blade hits the dummy for 11,399 Damage. (I've used Lashing because it is the most consistent damage burst a rouge can deal and is a good example on scaling damage)
    ir3iwk.png

Now this is the part where all your AD/Time/Effort on getting all of your gears is wasted. On this 3rd image is a screenshot of my Character without gears except for Mainhand and Offhand. (As you can see it only has a 2,535 Attack/Healing)
    i26a6s.png

And now I've tried the same thing as to what i did on the 2nd image but without using any gears except for my Mainhand and Offhand. It hits the Dummy for 11,460 even better than with full gear.
    59wlqe.png

In conclusion on all of this what's the point of getting gears? if you can deal almost the same or even higher damage naked than when you're geared?

To everyone that will doubt the legitimacy of this post, you can try and see it for yourself.
    To Cryptic i hope this will be your utmost priority on fixing cause this has made the game worthless to be played if we're wasting our time/effort on nothing.

Hope this helps anyone who will read it and sorry if my english is bad.

It's GEAR, not GEARS. GEAR is already plural.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lol once instance of damage is enough testing to conclude gear does nothing?

This is hilarious.

And anyone playing naked in pvp is using their fashion button. /facepalm.

With the huge damage ranges abilities have you can't just hit a target dummy ONCE and expect accurate results lol. You're actually better off looking at tooltips in regards to power scaling.

But basically, power basically gives you extra "weapon damage" which is just a tiny bit of extra damage on top of your already huge weapon damage, thus it's not very good.

HOWEVER, power doesn't diminish, and once you're Crit/ArmPen/Recovery gets higher and higher, not only does each point of power become stronger because of their damage increasing effects, but also because those stats start to diminish and become less efficient to increase.

Take an example like Aion, in a sort of classic asian RPG sort of weird scaling.

You have your auto attacks that are doing let's say 300 damage, you have your special skills doing 2000 and 3000. Now you have an attack damage stat, each 100 points gives you an extra +10 FLAT damage to every HIT.

So 100 AD would give your auto attack 310 damage and your skills 2010 and 3010. Not a very high % increase is it? This is why Crit would become the best stat (since it's multiplicative damage bonus), 10% crit at 100% severity would be a 10% increase overall, making that 2000 = 2200 and 3000 = 3300.

Once you got crit high enough however, you not only hit soft caps, but the higher the crit the more powerful each +10 becomes, 40% Crit would be = 40% more damage thus +10 becomes +14, and since crit starts getting diminished all of a sudden Attack Dmg becomes favorable.

Same situation here. Power is not a burst increasing stat, not really. So don't except to do some single massive hit and except power to boost it all that much lol. Try doing Duelist Furry or something.
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Also not taken into account here: survivability. You will occasionally get hit with something in epic dungeons, if you don't have enough mitigation, you will just die straight out with no chance to recover with a potion, a friendly cleric or just over time with regen/lifesteal type effects.
    edited May 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    Also not taken into account here: survivability. You will occasionally get hit with something in epic dungeons, if you don't have enough mitigation, you will just die straight out with no chance to recover with a potion, a friendly cleric or just over time with regen/lifesteal type effects.

Can you hit me up with the Weapon Damage + Power formula, the tool tips are broken for some spells, and I don't want to spend 20hrs shooting target dummies
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    john242424 wrote: »
    That's why I am starting to see players playing the game in pvp without any gear on and still dominating. I'm dead serious!

That's probably people stripping off their Peasants Garb and still using the fashion option, and by fashion I mean underwear (maybe a mask if they keep it classy).
  • teepussiteepussi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's probably people stripping off their Peasants Garb and still using the fashion option, and by fashion I mean underwear (maybe a mask if they keep it classy).

Yep seen some running in wedding dress, sadly didnt catch the bouquet.
  • gravethoughtgravethought Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    This isn't new. Power scales all kinds of awful, especially for TR's encounter abilities. If you want to see real gains you need armor penetration and crit. Armor pen is the best scaling stat in the game by far as long as the target has the armor to penetrate.
  • masabooooooomasabooooooo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    ;p
    :o
    Is it truth?
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rogue

• wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gear matters. Even good PVPers die to hard encounters because their gear is dated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambermajambermaj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I stick to my Peasant's Garb and Pirate Hat. Why make the enemies' target selection easier by letting them see which opponent is wearing better gear?
    Cuz you sebestimated me!
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ambermaj wrote: »
    I stick to my Peasant's Garb and Pirate Hat. Why make the enemies' target selection easier by letting them see which opponent is wearing better gear?

I would wear my peasant garb but it looks like my toon rolled around in a puddle of diarrhea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    daervon wrote: »
    Throughout this entire thread you are missing the point of Gear Score -- plus you're testing your powers using a completely mistaken method.

I'll start with my second point. Your method of testing the damage of your powers, whether as rogue or wizard, is wrong and the effect of you being naked -- as you've clearly demonstrated -- plays little part in it. The damage output of your powers remains largely unaffected because *drum roll* YOU ARE USING THE SAME WEAPON AND OFFHAND.

If you want to test your damage output as being truly naked, then switch out those level 60 purple items for level 1 whites, and then come back and tell us that the whole thing is broken. Hell, switch them out for level 60 greens.

Now that's settled, let's go over the whole "gear score is useless"... The quality of your gear, reflected (in some part, admittedly) through your gear score does NOT only reflect how much damage you can dish out. As I pointed out above that is primarily handled by what weapon/offhand you are using. Your gear offers many other benefits -- lower cool-downs on your powers, armor penetration, hit points, defense, deflection, critical strike, etc etc etc.

If you really think that gear doesn't give you any benefit then I urge you... go in a level 60 dungeon (doesn't even have to be an epic one) and let me know how many seconds you survive in any given fight, ok?

Now, if your concern is that the actual Power stat itself does not provide you with enough benefit... perhaps that is true and needs looking at, or perhaps that is something that'll work for some classes but not others. However that most certainly does not invalidate the need for proper gear or its effectiveness.

D.

I must agree with the OP in one point.... theres no reason to use power if all the dmg/healing came from main-hand and off.hand only.
  • everythingsdeadeverythingsdead Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gears? Rouges? what are these?
  • evileyecurseevileyecurse Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion, OPs tests are flawed. When testing you should not base your findings on few observations. The test must be repeated several times and you should get the average damage and not on a single attack...
  • everythingsdeadeverythingsdead Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion, OPs tests are flawed. When testing you should not base your findings on few observations. The test must be repeated several times and you should get the average damage and not on a single attack...

They are flawed. He hit the low end on the spread in the first, and the high end on the second.
    Doing 2 trials isn't a good enough test. Need to do hundreds.
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So we dont have to run around naked, yes, i exualy responded to the OP's question, u all just lazy.
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • xen1912xen1912 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the reason for this is, power, if you have like 2k power you only have 2% more damage. gear is important but the gear that does power wont help with damage. people aim for power thinking it will matter, all it does is increase gearscore and add a few points of damage.

• getyoazzinmyvangetyoazzinmyvan Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    I've done this with my Cleric and healing. And why I started stacking Def/Rec/Regen.

I heal the exact same naked as I do with gear on. Considering Im tanking all the mobs anyway. Id rather have Def/Recovery/ and Regen.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Basically from the testing I've done, each skill has a base amount, then a coefficient from your weapon dmg, and then another coefficient from dmg from power.

It's actually a bit deceptive in that while it might look like it's increasing your overall dmg by that much % wise since adding 10 to 1000 is 1%, then adding another ten to 2000 being 0.5% increase, but regardless that's still another +10 dmg, and it adds up, you'd have to how much power dmg coefficient DPS you're doing to see how much each point of power is really adding, and keep in mind this dmg bonus is being affected by crit/armor pen etc, and since those stats not only increase the effectiveness of power the higher they get, they also diminish the higher they get, so in the end once you start hitting your DR's which is pretty easy, power starts to shine.
  • joangruberjoangruber Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually tried this today in a lvl 60 PvP match, I managed to play just as good, got most kills etc. Sadly I don't have anything to back up my claim, but it didn't seem like it did that much difference. Maybe the other guys were just bad, but I was naked, not in fashion mode, but had my orb/talisman epics at hand. With a CW this is, and so... anyone who doesn't believe this should try it themselves.
  • m0ltres23m0ltres23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I knew something was wrong. I did the same testing but with how much AP i was getting back as a CW. As my surprise i was getting the same amount when i was fully geared with a pet that with no gears/no pet. This is a big bug and really need to get a look at that.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try to do it with a lvl 1 dagger, then screenshot again.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!