test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How To: Play Neverwinter on a Mac

stopthi5stopthi5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have an iMac with a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i&, 8 GB Ram, and a AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB Graphics card. I was wanting to be able to play Neverwinter on it when my PC is being used for other things. I tried Wine, and could not get it to work correctly, so I researched some more and found Crossover for the Mac. It worked Amazing! Here is how I set it up.

1. Downloaded Crossover Trial from here(will purchase now that I see how great it works): http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

2. Install Crossover

3. Run Crossover, no need to do anything in it at this time

4. Download Neverwinter installer from here: http://nw.perfectworld.com/download . Choose Direct Download

5.Copy / Pate this link into safari to get the CrossTie file to allow CrossOver to load the install information for Neverwinter: com-codeweavers-crossover-crosstie:install?crosstie=http://www.codeweavers.com/bin/c4p/11376

6. That should run the CrossOver Software Installer, give it a minute to load

7. In the installer you will see the second options says "Will download the installer from Some long URL. That URL is outdated. Click Edit next to that option, and select "Choose Installer File".

8. Select the neverwinter_setup.exe file that we downloaded in step 4.

9. Select Install at the bottom of the CrossOver Software Installer

10. When prompted choose where to install Neverwinter. Pick a location you will remember as you may need to find it later.

11. Once the install of Neverwinter and all other items are completed (fonts, Flash, IE(ActiveX), IE 7, MSXML), go to Programs > Neverwinter to Launch it. If it is not under Programs, got to File > Open and choose Neverwinter.exe from where you installed it.

12. Let the game download and patch.

13. Play the game!

14, Maybe. Choose Yes, with lowered setting when prompted about video card incompatibility. Game still plays fine like this, and looks just great. I found when I chose the other option the game was choppy

*NOTE: I have noticed that the launcher flickers when using it to start the game. The game itself plays just fine though.

*NOTE 2: I am not affiliated with CrossOver, just have found this to work the best out of everything I have tried. CrossOver is a paid program unfortunately, but you can test it out for yourself using the free trial and then buy if you like it. Think the cheapest option they offer is 39.99 or something like that.
Post edited by stopthi5 on

Comments

• Options
    looking4boobslooking4boobs Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thanks, very cool!

now please someone make a how to for linux
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I will see if I can figure it out!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Been playing on this for awhile, but just went to Protectors Enclave, and it was choppy. Still playable but annoying. Think because of so many players and things moving around visually. I am looking for a workaround to make this smoother.

All other Zones I have been in (Also Dungeons, PVP, Skirmishes) have worked just fine.
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    thanks, very cool!

now please someone make a how to for linux

Wine out of options?
  • Options
    croma25tdcroma25td Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play this on linux since the start of the open beta without major problems. You only need a 32bit wine-prefix and a few winetricks (ie8 and dx3d9).
  • Options
    doppelmockdoppelmock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been running this setup for weeks, in addition to a pure install on a win8 bootcamp partition. Graphics performance through WINE / Crossover is anywhere from 25 to 33% less than the native windows install on my 680MX - you'll notice it in the Enclave (assuming you can even get in the game, given the current bug) but it should be playable out in the field.

The crossover route is great for working in the foundry* and popping in to invoke or do other quick tasks, but for extended play sessions I go bootcamp.

An aside on the 680MX - don't be fooled by the 'recommended' 80% quality setting. It can handle 100% with all settings on high/max at 2560x1440.

* It isn't great for the foundry. See below.
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    point noted. thanks for share .... :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    doppelmock wrote: »
    I've been running this setup for weeks, in addition to a pure install on a win8 bootcamp partition. Graphics performance through WINE / Crossover is anywhere from 25 to 33% less than the native windows install on my 680MX - you'll notice it in the Enclave (assuming you can even get in the game, given the current bug) but it should be playable out in the field.

The crossover route is great for working in the foundry and popping in to invoke or do other quick tasks, but for extended play sessions I go bootcamp.

An aside on the 680MX - don't be fooled by the 'recommended' 80% quality setting. It can handle 100% with all settings on high/max at 2560x1440.

Great added information for that! I did not want to bootcamp, so this is best for me. It does work great except for Protectors Enclave, but still very playable there.
  • Options
    doppelmockdoppelmock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stopthi5 wrote: »
    Great added information for that! I did not want to bootcamp, so this is best for me. It does work great except for Protectors Enclave, but still very playable there.

I wasn't too interested in bootcamp either, but decided to play around and now it's on an external SSD via thunderbolt.

I forgot to mention a foundry bug in my original post that would make it difficult to work exclusively in crossover. Dragging teleporters or special resources (sounds, triggers, AI nodes, etc.) from the toolbar to the map doesn't work. You can copy and paste existing resources, but that won't work with teleporters.

It seems you can't even select different presets from the map UI, and no amount of fiddling with settings helps. So wine is a non-starter for any foundry work. You'll need to go bootcamp if you're interested in building quests.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    doppelmock wrote: »
    I wasn't too interested in bootcamp either, but decided to play around and now it's on an external SSD via thunderbolt.

I forgot to mention a foundry bug in my original post that would make it difficult to work exclusively in crossover. Dragging teleporters or special resources (sounds, triggers, AI nodes, etc.) from the toolbar to the map doesn't work. You can copy and paste existing resources, but that won't work with teleporters.

It seems you can't even select different presets from the map UI, and no amount of fiddling with settings helps. So wine is a non-starter for any foundry work. You'll need to go bootcamp if you're interested in building quests.

I play in windowed mode and the foundry allows me to drag new items to map. Not sure how you are playing the game to replicate this issue.
  • Options
    eloiniaseloinias Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello

It work nicely with my Macbook pro. First, I wanted to use it only for a few tasks such as mail and profession as I am away from my PC for one month. I have been surprised to see the quality of the game with Crossover as there were so much negative comment on this software in the net. I have been able to play several foundry quests without any problem and everything went well. Only one very strange bug. Key 1 to 5 are working well (fortunately ...) but key 6 for my horse is not working
    someone have any thought ?
    thanks
    E
  • Options
    hajetthajett Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I did the whole crossover and the patching update, but now there isn't a start button? How would I go about fixing that?
  • Options
    djcrimewavedjcrimewave Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Everytime i go to login on the launcher i cant go any further because there doesnt seem to be a play button. Any ideas?
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bump about Play button
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dextermorganbhbdextermorganbhb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Everything works fine, I can patch and everything and it says ready but after that nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Or what do I need to do?
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Simple solution.
    Bootcamp Partition, Windows 7 or Windows 8. I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13" and I run the game pretty much flawlessly, I have to turn down the graphics a tad, but its worth it to be able to game. I have VMWARE as well but to run the game you need to boot into the windows partition, otherwise its too slow IMO. I use VMWARE for things like updating or other non graphically intensive games while running in OS X. If you need help or would like assistance with setting up BootCamp, PM me.
  • Options
    quickdraw77quickdraw77 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Im having the same problem with the play button... because there is none for me!
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    god just do bootcamp
  • Options
    nowaypossiblenowaypossible Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay so I got the play button -- for those that are missing it, go back to the top and re-read the instructions about copying that link to the safari browser (link doesn't seem to work in any other browser) and it auto launches a nice little cross over mod type app that pops up and installs all the other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you have to have installed in order for the game to hopefully work.

I got past this, and almost gave up on the load screen - it took a solid 10 minutes to load the game - hope this isn't the case everytime. (it actually took longer to load then it did to download/patch)
  • Options
    cyloviacylovia Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank you so much! :D
  • Options
    superjshortysuperjshorty Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello all -- got all the way through then setup guide up until the part where Crossover finishes installing the game (after installing IE7, etc) and then it says "Installer has closed but NeverWinter has not installed" -- I tried reinstalling from the same .exe file that I originally downloaded and it keeps saying install failed. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    superjshortysuperjshorty Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nvm, re-ran the install in the same bottle and it magically worked this time. Sorry for taking up space.