What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

UGC Feedback: From the Shadows

2»

Comments

• scottbriscottbri Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    Did you figure this out? It's not really a puzzle, it just pretends to be. I played through the quest as a dwarf, so it should work with short races. The only issue is if you try to interact with one of the books in the bookshelves and get an "object not in line of sight" message no matter where you stand or look.

Sadly, this is where I am stuck as a Halfling. I cannot see the object to interact with at the downed bookcase and had to quit. :(
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scottbri wrote: »
    Sadly, this is where I am stuck as a Halfling. I cannot see the object to interact with at the downed bookcase and had to quit. :(

What downed bookcase? I need more information. Are you talking about the second part of the Lanaar Legacy books? That one is on the floor, so I don't see how anyone could not be able to interact with it, hence my confusion here.
  • lumineaislinlumineaislin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The bookcase you put in to split the two locked doors on the same hallway (you made a note of why on the opposing side.)
    i had the same issue at first because if you hit it from the backside it just seems like bad crafting, but if search around and finally find the right position it explains it.

The thing is you can't always trust the shiny quest pathing because it'll take you straight to seeming dead ends out path you back to the start because you need to go up (not in there, but still)

All I can say is explore everything and every path.
    edited May 2013
    I've had so many complaints about the quest paths that I might as well just disable them for that part of the quest. They seem to just confuse people anyway, and the map will show people where their goals are.

Now I know what bookcase you're talking about, at least. I only checked that from one direction, but I'll take a closer look at it tonight. With today's patch supposedly improving performance, this should be much less painful. Updating The Lanaar Legacy over the last few days has been very, very problematic due to insane lag.
  • ladyshaie1ladyshaie1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I too have very much enjoyed these two quests and cannot WAIT for the next one. I've been getting my husband to play too, so that when our characters hit 10 we can do your foundries together. Your storytelling is awesome & I'm envious of your D&D group if you DM one.
  • bigpeach76bigpeach76 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey Silverstar, this quest is so fun. i am currently on pt 2 in the mansion and i just sanctified the bodies. it is nice to do be able to use my special skill and be the only one. i was a bit sad about not being able to use the skill kits as well as aarontimes suggested, but this is just as nice. that way if you roll a different toon you will be able to use their skill to do other things like the floating crystal in the library. Any way... i actually need a bit of help. i am stuck in the spot where i cant get past the fallen bookshelf and the "alternate route ends up at the end of the hall with all the furniture blocking the door...any hints?
  • bigpeach76bigpeach76 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey tilt, nevermind i fount my way through. i finally finished the quest at the end. WOW!!! I am salivating for the next act!
    edited May 2013
    Good to hear! :) The fallen bookcase is driving me nuts to be honest. I didn't want it there and only had to add it very late in development when I realized that my original plan wouldn't work due to Foundry limitations. Interestingly, what I need to remove that bookcase is an invisible wall that is of a certain dimension, a feature I asked the devs for just before the game launched. Once I find something like that in the Foundry, the bookcase will be gone, and good riddance! I actually WANT people to approach that library from two sides if they so desire, so forcing an approach from only one direction felt like a major step back.
  • yobakunyobakun Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys
    I was just wandering how to read those books in Act two. It said I put them in the backpack for later reading but .. Help :o
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I can see how that could be a bit confusing. They aren't actual inventory items (I wish they could be, but the Foundry currently doesn't let you use items from the inventory, so there wouldn't be much point beyond taking up valuable inventory space). If you didn't read them right away, you'll either have to play the quest again or wait until I release Act 3, which will allow you to read them again (or get a summary) at the beginning of the quest.
  • yobakunyobakun Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Aww Mkay then. I would love full books though.
    When Act 3 arrives btw? Ur compaign is just BEYOND awesome, keep it up!
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I'm stuck in Act 2 on "Look for something useful in the entrance hall". There's a book, but I'm unable to interact with it. All orcs were cleared from the previous step. Am I missing something, or is there a bug?
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
    edited May 2013
    I've thoroughly tested that part with different races of different heights, and there has never been the slightest problem with that book. This is the first time anyone mentions a problem with it too. If there's a bug, I have no idea what it could be. What's your race? Also, did you try looking at the book from all kinds of angles? Players typically interact with it by standing at the side of the "table" it's laying on.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I'm human.

I tried standing on the stairs, standing on the floor, looking up, looking down, looking sideways.

I'm prompted to press the "F" key, but I get a message that the item cannot be interacted with at this time. It's like a pre-condition to interact with the book is not met. By the way, I did go an try and interact with the doors just outside the room with the book before finding the book itself, and a zombie (I think) popped out from behind the locked door and I fought it (also before discovering the book).

edited May 2013
    Aha, that explains the issue! When you said you were unable to interact with the book, I assumed you didn't have line of sight to it. My mistake. What really happened was that you got stuck in combat. Most likely the zombies behind that door aggroed through the door itself (which is a really, REALLY annoying bug in Neverwinter that is affecting more authors than just me). As long as you're in combat you can't interact with anything, not even doors. The solution would have been to wait or flee until the combat state ended, but it's far from ideal. The only way I could work around this issue would be by spawning enemies only when you actually enter the room they're in, but that would look horrible.
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    The only way I could work around this issue would be by spawning enemies only when you actually enter the room they're in, but that would look horrible.

As it is, the zombies attack through the door... their arms and legs are not properly clipped to the door, so I could see their appendages. I guess it's a matter of picking your poison between that and spawning after entering.

It's still in Beta, so hopefully some of these issues will be ironed out.

Fortunately I logged out last night in the room, hoping to get a resolution. I'll log back in and see if I can continue.

Really enjoying the campaign!

**UPDATE**

When I logged back in, I was no longer in the quest instance. Had to abort and restart, but it was worth it :-)

• duchessofkvetchduchessofkvetch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So far this is the only Foundry quest I've done that makes such use of skill checks and offers multiple solution paths throughout the "dungeon", in essence. I can see where it might be confusing SOME people, who aren't used to having to turn back around a few times and prefer hand-holding, but imho it makes the game fun - trust in the GM, you'll still get where you need to be going if you keep looking!
  • jakeboojakeboo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hi great quest but im having a problem at the end of act 2 the weary guard points to his right to a chet - and i cant find it at all
    edited May 2013
    It's a bug with Neverwinter itself. Try relogging or leaving the zone you're in (it might take a few tries). Sadly, there's nothing I can do about this as it's not caused by my quest.
  • jakeboojakeboo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jakeboo wrote: »
    hi great quest but im having a problem at the end of act 2 the weary guard points to his right to a chet - and i cant find it at all

yeah ive just tried reloading and its working! great thanks....
  • fivecmpersecondfivecmpersecond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hello,can someone help? so..i dont really know if this is a bug or not,the 1st time im taking this quest im having no problem,the 2nd time and so on,im always stuck at the first objective "Discuss the job with Havin Kirias" , i already use all the option till the "read the letter" option came and i click done,nothing happened and the objective is not going to lucky arrow inn and still stuck at the 1st one :eek:
    Huge fan of Aria,5 Centimeters Per Second,Bungaku Shoujo & Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    You can't click the Done button to complete a conversation. This goes for all content in the game. You must click the dialog options provided to you. "Done" aborts the dialogue and forces you to do it all over again.
  • fivecmpersecondfivecmpersecond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    but theres no other converstation after this one,only done,and theres no letter in my inventory,not even new objective to go to the inn ;_;
    stuck_zpsd48c84fc.jpg
    Huge fan of Aria,5 Centimeters Per Second,Bungaku Shoujo & Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Ah, thanks for posting that. This is something that is incredibly hard to test, and is also really an issue with the Foundry. Long texts may get cut off and not show the responses below if you're running the game at a low resolution. If you ever see this happen, just press 1 on your keyboard. That will select the uppermost response (that you can't see), which is typically the one that will progress the dialogue.

Keep in mind that you'll run into this issue at other points in my quests as well, and the 1 trick might not always work (if so, try other keys until you progress). You should try to run the game at a higher resolution if you can. There is no way for me to tell when this bug kicks in, so it's next to impossible for me to set up my dialogues so that the bug won't occur. Increasing the resolution is the only certain way to avoid the problem until Cryptic can fix this.

Sorry. :(
  • savagefistsavagefist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wondering if there was a recent change to Foundry quests. I've completed Hidden Blade twice today and each time, at the end, there is no loot reward when I open the chest. It is just blank. Or is this a bug?

Edit: Thought I would add I do get XP though, as usual.

Edit2: Huh, looks like it is no longer eligible for the daily. :( Act2 shows as a daily though so guess I will give it a try.
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    Intel 335 Series Jay Crest 240GB
    3 x TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB
    XFX Core Edition FX-785A-CNL4 Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    edited May 2013
    It jumps back and forth with the daily reward. When it's at 15 minutes, the farmers are attracted to it like flies to excrement, and when it's at 14 minutes they avoid it like the plague. There's roughly a 50% chance that the quest will be eligible at any given time.
  • pwnocchio298thpwnocchio298th Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Played through both of these over the weekend and found them to be the best foundry content I've played to date. They were emersive and actually did a very good job of capturing the essence of paper & dice D&D from the proverbial 'Back in my day'.

I've flagged them for half a dozen of my mates who've started playing recently.

Looking forward to the next chaptures when you have time to work on them.
    edited June 2013
    After the latest patch, both my quests now feature music and sound effects as intended. The biggest difference is in The Lanaar Legacy, which I originally didn't even want to release without music because it was so central to the experience. The next quest in the series (yeah yeah, I know it's been taking forever) will be even more reliant on sound and music. :)
    edited August 2013
    For anyone wondering what's happening with this campaign, it's still being worked on. Chapter 3 is very ambitious, and I'm about 3/4 done with it. While it won't be as large as chapter 2 (or so I think), it won't be anywhere near as short as chapter 1 either. It's also highly unusual in its structure, as far as Foundry quests go. Lots of talking, and very, very little of the standard "walk into a room and fight the monsters in it" scenario, though there's still plenty of combat. In this chapter you'll be directly following up on the people who tried to have Trenaevis killed in the first part. It's time to kick butt and chew bubblegum, and you know the rest. Victory is at hand, so what could possibly go wrong? ;)

I had planned to churn out chapter 3 these days and get started on chapter 4. The fickle gods of chance wanted it otherwise. It would seem my motherboard has had a partial breakdown, which means I'm probably going to have to send it away for repairs. I'll get back to work on this campaign once that is over with.

Thanks to everyone who's been playing these quests and reviewing them. I try to read most reviews, but the amount has grown truly overwhelming over time. :)
    edited October 2013
    I've made huge progress on chapter 3 today, yay! A little closer to release... :)

Here's a small teaser if only to prove that I'm actually working on it:

Dream1_small.jpg