Install Arc
Options

Avast put Neverwinter.exe in quarantine

13»

Comments

• Options
    mrhatiskmrhatisk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Funny thing is my got instantly deleted... Its not in the chest. Is there somehow to restore it anyways or is it just to re-install the game?
  • Options
    shanawdithitshanawdithit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i had same probs with avast....some how this is someones very sick joke that has caused this
  • Options
    tabbyfootabbyfoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Downloading the patches over again: THis is how I feel about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MgxK5vm6lvk#t=50s
  • Options
    errolianerrolian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same happened to me, what a crock. Easily fixed but really, why has this happened?
  • Options
    stormpoet01stormpoet01 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have seen this problem before with other programs i have used for years... once its reported as a false positive it doesn't take long to be corrected. I expect it will be a matter of hours before they amend the definitions to fix the problem. Its not necessarily that it was reported to Avast as a virus it simply means that a new virus that they are looking for has parameters that resemble the program that is getting flagged. It happens.
  • Options
    merliph84merliph84 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same prob here
  • Options
    cornrollercornroller Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thats just ****ing great, re-patching the whole thing again, 4.5gb...im quiting this ****...
  • Options
    mirhandamirhanda Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dameduloc wrote: »
    Sadly, I rebooted my system and Avast deleted it. No longer in the virus chest. So, back to fixing it with a download, as the Game Client just hangs on connecting to game server.

Good job, Cryptic ><

You should be saying a sarcastic "thanks" to Avast. They are the ones who messed up and put an innocuous file in their anti-virus definitions. I imagine the company here is pretty annoyed.
  • Options
    mrvic3363mrvic3363 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mirhanda wrote: »
    You should be saying a sarcastic "thanks" to Avast. They are the ones who messed up and put an innocuous file in their anti-virus definitions. I imagine the company here is pretty annoyed.

Actually it looks like its more in cryptics realm, They might not have updated the CRC size. Multiple antivirus programs are catching it as well.
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    dajessdajess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So much technobabble! I miss the good old days. . . .if something stopped working you just beat it with a hammer and it usually did the trick! :P
  • Options
    dateuntintedateuntinte Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lazodin wrote: »
    SOLVED

Step 1: Open avast. At the top there are several tabs labeled 'security', 'maintenance', and so on. Click maintenance. Now click on 'Virus Chest'. Right click Neverwinter.exe, and select 'Restore'.

Step 2: Click on the 'security' tab at the top of the avast UI. In the Antivirus section, click file system shield, then click on settings tab (you will see settings twice, once at the very top next to an account tab, and one below that next to start and stop. You want the settings tab next to start and stop). In the new window that comes up, click exclusions, then add, then browse. Go to Computer\C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ and click the box to the left of it to select it, and click ok. Now click Ok on the exclusions page.

Step 3: Play Neverwinter. If you neverwinter shortcut is missing, go to computer\C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ and then right click and remake your shortcut from the Neverwinter application, or pin to taskbar, whatever floats your boat.

Enjoy!

Thx solved
  • Options
    albiondazalbiondaz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thx Lazodin,you saved me d/l all the files again.
  • Options
    damedulocdameduloc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Folks might not need to download everything again; I (being the packrat that I am) kept the setup.exe along with all of the install files. If you haven't deleted it, you can just run setup again and it will just update the launcher. It's about 410mb (for me at least), and takes a minute or so.

And agreed, it looks as if Cryptic didn't update the crc size, or whatever dev that caused Caturday bid -10000000 on it.
  • Options
    mrvic3363mrvic3363 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you remove the exceptions and launch it appears to work now without a hole in your security. looked like a mini burst patch to the launcher for it fully fired up. give it a shot and see if its working for you as well now without exceptions
  • Options
    lazodinlazodin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Happy to help! ^_^
  • Options
    lazodinlazodin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reposted with an additional note: Do not restart your computer if you get this error - doing so has in some cases deleted the files that were quarantined; in this instance, that is your Neverwinter data. Follow the steps below before shutting down or rebooting.

SOLVED

Step 1: Open avast. At the top there are several tabs labeled 'security', 'maintenance', and so on. Click maintenance. Now click on 'Virus Chest'. Right click Neverwinter.exe, and select 'Restore'.

Step 2: Click on the 'security' tab at the top of the avast UI. In the Antivirus section, click file system shield, then click on settings tab (you will likely notice two settings tabs, one at the very top next to an account tab, and one below that next to a start and stop button. You want the settings tab next to start and stop). In the new window that comes up, click exclusions, then add, then browse. Go to Computer\C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ and click the box to the left of it to select it, and click ok. Now click Ok on the exclusions page.

Step 3: Play Neverwinter. If you neverwinter shortcut is missing, go to computer\C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ and then right click and remake your shortcut from the Neverwinter application, or pin to taskbar, whatever floats your boat.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    zarpitazarpita Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lazodin wrote: »
    SOLVED

Step 2: Click on the 'security' tab at the top of the avast UI. In the Antivirus section, click file system shield, then click on settings tab (you will see settings twice, once at the very top next to an account tab, and one below that next to start and stop. You want the settings tab next to start and stop). In the new window that comes up, click exclusions, then add, then browse. Go to Computer\C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ and click the box to the left of it to select it, and click ok. Now click Ok on the exclusions page.

Enjoy!

This fixed the problem for me too.

Thanks for sharing!!