What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Avast put Neverwinter.exe in quarantine

Comments

• Options
    negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WoW... as a programist i just can say... wow... not certifying the software and enabling it to autoDL stuff and run datacheck routines is like a kindergarden mistake... shame on you cryptic
  • Options
    kelton59kelton59 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same issue here, I guess an Avast Update today was the issue.
    BTW, what is a programist??
  • Options
    naitotanreinaitotanrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I put the file path on the ignore list, but that didn't work. I had to suspend all shields to get the game to run...still on a timer, not sure what's gonna happen once they all come back again in a few minutes....will update if something goes awry.
  • Options
    acidmystacidmyst Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just got this now, however avast actually deleted the game by itself. Do you know how I can stop avast from deleting programs? Also I had to reinstall the entire game to get it to work again. Screw you avast.
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ronbo68 wrote: »
    I use the free version too malvou and got it to work. I downloaded the launcher file and tried but it would remove it. I noticed the file was in my documents folder. I turned off avast for 10 minutes then downloaded the launcher file again and moved it to my cryptic folder. I put the cryptic folder in my exclusion file and then turned it back on. Seems to work for me now.

Yeah even that process doesn't even work.

Avast doesn't do <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for me, so I can just perm disable it.
  • Options
    jbj69jbj69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malvou wrote: »
    Even if I put Exclusions it still removes it from the folder when I try to run it. Then again I'm using the free version of Avast. So I don't know.

I use the free one too, this is what I did. Open Avast, go to Security, click File System Shield, click Settings, click Exclusions. Then browse and add the Cryptic folder.
  • Options
    acidmystacidmyst Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now every time I try to run neverwinter, it turns neverwinter.exe into neverwinter.exe.deleteme
  • Options
    naitotanreinaitotanrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    proqludum wrote: »
    1. Open Avast, go to "Settings" -> "Global Exclusions" -> add the folder where you have your Neverwinter.exe default is ...\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ -> close "Settings"
    2. Go to "Maintenance" -> Virus Chest -> right click on "Neverwinter.exe" -> "Restore" -> close Avast

... thats it.

AHH...This didn't work for me, I had to go to the file shield settings and place an exclusion there as well.
  • Options
    noshiznoshiz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    This just happened to me aswell! What happened?
    fs_49316d8a5de21281b0f4fc8f0089006b.png
  • Options
    vaerdisvaerdis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    hobieonehobieone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is happening with other antivirus programs besides avast. a friend had kapersky's antivirus do it as well it seemed to happened right after the most recent update to the anti virus. i was playing this morning. and my anti virus updated between when i logged out and tried to log into the game this afternoon.
  • Options
    multifixmultifix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the same issue, and when I try to launch from the .exe file the game starts up, then instantly crashes...
  • Options
    kelton59kelton59 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess Cryptic better inform them of the false positive, I submitted one to Avast for the little it is worth.
  • Options
    tabbyfootabbyfoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also just tried to log in and Avast moved Neverwinter into the virus vault. It freaked me out! I am installing an Avast update now and will try again. I just hope I don't have to re-download all the game files, because I clicked yes to remove it when it asked, thinking it might have been replaced by malware.
  • Options
    multifixmultifix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've managed to launch the game now by setting the Crytic folder as an exclusion, but it gets stuck on "connecting to character server"...
  • Options
    lionllionl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have the same problem i played this morning normal and few hours later i try to play it again and my avast shut the game down and i have to to redownload it again.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I also had to re-download the game, because when I reinstated it from the virus vault, it said it was missing files, but neverwinter.exe was the only thing listed in the vault. It's downloading 2500MB of patches again now :(

This is purely speculation, but I wonder if some of the folks who were IP banned after the AH debacle are expressing their sour grapes by reporting the game executable as infected to the anti-virus programs, since other posters have said they had the problem with other programs besides avast.
  • Options
    carpachtiotcarpachtiot Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    go in quarantine zone of avast, restore, then stop agent in avast, recreate ure shortcut, finaldly load neverwinter and get an eye when u restart ure computer and repot to avast: u can play while waiting avast and never resolve that problem
  • Options
    chriskuvchriskuv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This happened to me as well.
    Included Cryptic folder in exceptions, restored .exe.

But now patcher downloads again, from the start, many GBs of game.
    1 hour ago i was playing fine...
    "You can not win, if someone lost."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chriskuv wrote: »
    Included Cryptic folder in exceptions

It may be worth noting that the first time, I added the c:/User/Public location of the Cryptic Studios folder and it quarantined the file again. Make sure you go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Cryptic Studios and add that to the exceptions, too, or it may not work.
  • Options
    chriskuvchriskuv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tabbyfoo wrote: »
    It may be worth noting that the first time, I added the c:/User/Public location of the Cryptic Studios folder and it quarantined the file again. Make sure you go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Cryptic Studios and add that to the exceptions, too, or it may not work.

Yes, included that too in the exclusions.
    Still have to redownload 2.6 GBs.
    This is really really frustrating.
    "You can not win, if someone lost."
  • Options
    leopardladyleopardlady Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This happened to me as well, I was able to log in this morning and get my coins but as of 15mins ago when I tried to log in Avast put Neverwinter in the chest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chriskuv wrote: »
    Still have to redownload 2.6 GBs.
    This is really really frustrating.

I know, I'm in the same boat. I guess I'll go do laundry or something....
  • Options
    lazodinlazodin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SOLVED

Step 1: Open avast. At the top there are several tabs labeled 'security', 'maintenance', and so on. Click maintenance. Now click on 'Virus Chest'. Right click Neverwinter.exe, and select 'Restore'.

Step 2: Click on the 'security' tab at the top of the avast UI. In the Antivirus section, click file system shield, then click on settings tab (you will see settings twice, once at the very top next to an account tab, and one below that next to start and stop. You want the settings tab next to start and stop). In the new window that comes up, click exclusions, then add, then browse. Go to Computer\C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ and click the box to the left of it to select it, and click ok. Now click Ok on the exclusions page.

Step 3: Play Neverwinter. If you neverwinter shortcut is missing, go to computer\C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ and then right click and remake your shortcut from the Neverwinter application, or pin to taskbar, whatever floats your boat.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey all! We're investigating these reports regarding Avast. Thanks a lot!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    damedulocdameduloc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sadly, I rebooted my system and Avast deleted it. No longer in the virus chest. So, back to fixing it with a download, as the Game Client just hangs on connecting to game server.

Good job, Cryptic ><
  • Options
    kuroisekikuroiseki Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having the same problem with Avast :( it was PERFECTLY fine last night, so I don't know why it's doing this ;_; and it keeps taking my NWN2 launcher shortcut out but that's not in the virus chest O.o'
  • Options
    ashinkusher1993ashinkusher1993 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thanks guys you helped me fix this pain in the *** problem
  • Options
    enorerthenorerth Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all! We're investigating these reports regarding Avast. Thanks a lot!

Yeah this threw me for a loop. I had a similar issue like this with avast a few years ago... Thanks for looking into this and getting it fixed.
  • Options
    dajessdajess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having the same issues and I've reported it to Avast as a false positive. I'm not up to jumping through hoops in order to access the game so I guess I'll wait until a permanent solution is announced.