test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

XP shouldn't become useless at 60

2»

Comments

• mohawkrmohawkr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    I must add my two cents to this topic.

Cent # 1) Someone did mention that experience is used to enchant items or create magical potions and trinkets of the sort... I'll get back to this in a moment...

Cent # 2) Someone said the story ends at lvl 60. This, however, is incorrect, my friend. The very design of this game is to extend with new user generated content ad infinitum. The problem now is that once you hit 60 with a character there is little in-game incentive to try out anyone's UGC, because your reward is essentially vendor trash items (not even supplies like altars, kits, or potions) and experience, which are both worth very little to most level 60 characters. This also transitions into another problem I've noticed having dedication to a level 60 character... there is very little to do but grind the same dungeons over and over again right now and hope that Gauntylgrym (however you spell it) will be enough content to keep me entertained.

Now let's combine these two cents.

Level 60's are some of the most dedicated players in the game yet once we reach 60 a major part of the game is gone so we may crave more of a variety of things to do to fill that emptiness. Experience and the entire Foundry is wasted on level 60's. If I were a game designer I would use these gaps to my advantage by expanding the crafting system in a way that will encourage foundry play to allow players to do something more than pvp or dungeon grind if they enjoy the pace of standard questing more. Take the experience one would get from the foundry, if even exclusively to encourage foundry play, and allow it to apply to your level 60's epic crafting.

Examples: Purple and Blue potion/consumable crafting
    weapon/item enchantment (swap one property with another, increase a property of an item by a %, or even just apply visual effects for flare & coolness)
    Guild specific crafting
    Anything that could encourage a player-made-market

It would obviously take serious consideration to add a module like any of the above, but I'm curious along this line of thinking what ideas can any of you come up with for applying "epic level experience" to a craft?
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really?
    I mean... seriously?
    The F happened to players over last few years.
  • mohawkrmohawkr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    ?

I get that it's an odd sounding post for any other game, but in a game with unlimited UGC it's a valid question; hence my above ideas.
  • psendaronpsendaron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Wow!!! Reading this statement >>Level 60's are the most dedicated players in the game, and the biggest fans, yet once we reach 60 and a major part of the game is gone, we need more of variety of things to do to fill that emptiness.<< from mohawkr made me drop me jaw for a second. Reaching lvl cap shows that you're the biggest fan as to somebody only being lvl 5/10/25 whatever? That's quite an interesting way to look at yourself and your dedication. I know this is totally OT and it might seem like trolling or something but climb down that high horse you're sitting on and acknowledge that you're not in any position to draw that assumption. Who says the kid who is only allowed two hours of gaming each day isn't a bigger fan than you? Maybe he dreams about it in his sleep, talks to his friends in school all day long about this great game and so forth....

You are dedicated I get it. Let's leave it at that and come back and tell me your the biggest and most dedicated fan of Neverwinter when I can see your body covered in tattoos with PW and Cryptics logo on each hand and a great picture of your lvl 60 character tattooed on your chest or back. Until then enjoy the game and stop claiming strange stuff like that. It's just way off. Happy gaming
    "Don't change colour to match the walls.
    Look like you belong and the walls will change colour to match you."

- Kender Proverb
    edited May 2013
    psendaron wrote: »
    Wow!!! Reading this statement >>Level 60's are the most dedicated players in the game, and the biggest fans, yet once we reach 60 and a major part of the game is gone, we need more of variety of things to do to fill that emptiness.<< from mohawkr made me drop me jaw for a second. Reaching lvl cap shows that you're the biggest fan as to somebody only being lvl 5/10/25 whatever? That's quite an interesting way to look at yourself and your dedication. I know this is totally OT and it might seem like trolling or something but climb down that high horse you're sitting on and acknowledge that you're not in any position to draw that assumption. Who says the kid who is only allowed two hours of gaming each day isn't a bigger fan than you? Maybe he dreams about it in his sleep, talks to his friends in school all day long about this great game and so forth....

You are dedicated I get it. Let's leave it at that and come back and tell me your the biggest and most dedicated fan of Neverwinter when I can see your body covered in tattoos with PW and Cryptics logo on each hand and a great picture of your lvl 60 character tattooed on your chest or back. Until then enjoy the game and stop claiming strange stuff like that. It's just way off. Happy gaming

Excellent point. I need to remember that my words can be taken very literally on forums. All I meant by that was lvl 60's have (literally) spent the most time leveling. And are (probably) some of the most dedicated with their time. Can someone be level 1 and be a bigger fan than all lvl 60's, absolutely.

Now back to topic, please? :)
    edited May 2013
    Sure sorry for jumping up the chair...Guess I should go sleep 'fore the grumpy dwarf has taken over my mind...sorry for the fuzz... back on topic it is ;-)

- Kender Proverb
    edited May 2013
    No problamo, friend :) I certainly could have chosen my words more wisely!
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Glad to see mature people with some good sense on a game forum.

And as far as the actual topic goes. I like the idea of using experience when max level for crafting and even enchants
    edited May 2013
    What about a mercenary option ? The opt for renting out your time, muscle and wits to ppl for dungeons or such? It would be a nice way to add some RP to the game... having a sword for hire tag along (one that knows the tales of the dungeon...the safe way through the forest...anything basically). I don't know what the price for such a task should be but that would be a cool way to keep playing earning AD and connecting with other players. Maybe I should be sleeping and this is dumbest idea ever ...but now its out there...so pls comment.... ups...this exactly had nothing to do with OP...Crafting for leftover XP sounds nice... as long as it's not too overpowering stuff....and you're right about it would be in the true spirit of D&D to have it along here .... Actually like the idea more and more when I think about it

- Kender Proverb
  • uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It never ceases to amaze me that people just don't understand "endgame", as in "game is over and at an end". You can keep playing that character if you really want to, but don't expect to gain anything more.... the game is over. Roll a new character and start again, or go play something else.
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm...well exp earning is more like paused I would say...lvl cap will rise at some point

- Kender Proverb
  • gifmikegifmike Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    isn't the game more about the adventure? If you are playing only to level... you are missing the forest for the trees.

Ingame status is a part of the adventure to me. I'll call on a guy who's played 120 lvls worth over a 50.
    edited May 2013
    mohawkr wrote: »
    Excellent point. I need to remember that my words can be taken very literally on forums. All I meant by that was lvl 60's have (literally) spent the most time leveling. And are (probably) some of the most dedicated with their time. Can someone be level 1 and be a bigger fan than all lvl 60's, absolutely.

Now back to topic, please? :)

If the lvl bar keeps counting and the number shows during inspect then you'll know exactly who's more dedicated than whom or maybe who. Plus if you have a high number and can't play that will be embarrassing.
    edited May 2013
    It never ceases to amaze me that people just don't understand "endgame", as in "game is over and at an end". You can keep playing that character if you really want to, but don't expect to gain anything more.... the game is over. Roll a new character and start again, or go play something else.

Getting a character to 60 and getting decent armor was just the setup to me and my friends starting to build all our old modules into instances. Not to mention going through the old Neverwinter mish's from the single player game and trying to recreate them with new graphics on a free tool. Now that I have a 60 I probably won't even play the regular game. Who here used to painstakingly recreate their modules with the cardboard dungeon floors and walls; and spend weeks painting all the figures for an upcoming long D&D weekend. They are the only one's who are truly going to appreciate the Foundry. This game has no endgame to me till someone else builds a better free tool.
    edited May 2013

I hear your point, but it behooves the designers that implemented infinite UGC to have some incentive/benefit for end game characters in some minor way as well. It would be a shame to see all of that Foundry content go to waste when there are plenty of level 60's who love their characters and still feel that they have much more playtime and enjoyment remaining with that character.
    edited May 2013
    Another point worth being made here is that end game is entirely group based... With long queues that loaded me into an epic dungeon group the other day made entirely of Rogues (lol?) players are going to start leaving as soon as they hit 60 because there is zero worthy solo content. I understand PvP is an option, but you'll likely get trumped by a premade.

What I'm saying is the game can be played solo until 60, then you're forced to group when there is still plenty of solo content out there, just with no incentives for level 60 characters! I think the OP touched on a legitimate issue here.

2+2 = 4