test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Got Avast Antivirus Free? Add Neverwinter Folder to Global Exclusions!

vaerdisvaerdis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Alright we got some Angry gold/AD farmers and players possibly sending in False positives
to Antivirus companies cause they cant exploit like they used to. Players caught
in this can have to add Global Exclusions. How? i got some Examples Below.

---Note-- Folks are having problems downloading, Make sure that the VERY first step
is to Disable the Avast Shields! or it will continue deleting ,once you
have placed the entire Directory * not just the file* in Global Exclude
and pressed OK to everything and Exiting the user interface, Then download the file
to the Correct Directory ( Do not save the file first and then move it do it
directly to the folder! ) Anywhere else on the computer Avast will continue to
Disable/Quarentine it. once that is downloaded in Turn your shields back on and
Doubleclick neverwinter to play, Optional you can make a Shortcut and drag the
shortcut to the desktop for later playing like it always had been. ( do not just
drag the EXE to the desktop, it may copy the EXE completely to the desktop
if it is not on a Seperate Drive ie: d: e: but not c: )

First:
Right click on the Avast Icon and Disable shields and then
Open it to the User interface.
bAK2crj.png

Second:
Select Settings

S3NE2Ov.png

Third:
Select on the left hand side Global Exclusion, Then click on Browse on the right side
and Select the Folder where Cryptic places Neverwinter.

18pD1PP.png

Fourth:
Click on OK to everything and Exit out of the User interface and Download the new Launcher at
http://download.perfectworld.com/nw/launcher/Neverwinter.exe

and Save it to the Neverwinter folder as seen in example below

cZATfG3.png

fifth:
Once saved, Re-Enable your Shields, Make a Shortcut to Neverwinter
to your desktop and play!

http://i.imgur.com/nfjZusI.png ( 5 image limit so a link instead. )

Other Antivirus users acn do similar with their Av's. This Will Fix the False positive
AV's are giving for now while the AV companies fix this little problem.
Post edited by vaerdis on

Comments

• malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just did this step by step with Avast.

It STILL deletes it.
  • slicerv3slicerv3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here deleted it even after doing it step by step.
  • vaerdisvaerdis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malvou wrote: »
    I just did this step by step with Avast.

It STILL deletes it.

Make sure the first step in all of this is to Completely Disable Avast, Right click on the icon on tray, go to shields and disable permanently this should keep it from doing anything like such...
    edited May 2013
    and make sure when adding in to Global Exclusion its the entire Directory, Not the file
  • mrmitzelplikmrmitzelplik Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Followed all steps, now comes up with not recognized .ink file. :(
  • powerhead25powerhead25 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Followed exactly as you said but avast blocks again the neverwinter.exe from link you gave :( I did add the neverwinter folder to excludes :(
  • powerhead25powerhead25 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok got it now ! i forgot to disable shields for file downlaoding ! Everything ok now thx again ;)
  • minler2040minler2040 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also tried your instructions but to no avail. The reason is that I have a different version of Avast where it does not have a tab called 'Global Exclusions' but instead just 'Exclusions'. I had to go into the 'Real-Time Shields', then 'File System Shield', click 'Expert Settings', then add it to the exclusions tab there and it worked fine. Thank you for posting this though as I had no clue why the hell the launcher exe disappeared and kept being deleted from a backup I had every time I ran it.
  • mrvic3363mrvic3363 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game is blocked for 7 of us on voice coms, not really sure I want to bypass my security software due to what appears to be a unsecured .exe With the game being new I'm sure there are all sorts of hacks trying to get into your client, this seems to be a open door to me.

Seems sloppy on the neverwinter.exe part
  • huskarrrhuskarrr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    works thanks
    edited May 2013
    mrvic3363 wrote: »
    The game is blocked for 7 of us on voice coms, not really sure I want to bypass my security software due to what appears to be a unsecured .exe With the game being new I'm sure there are all sorts of hacks trying to get into your client, this seems to be a open door to me.

im not sure because there was no patching last night or this morningfor me and anyone can Report software as Malware, get enough people to do it and its added to the list automaticly by some Antivirus programs
  • theliethesametheliethesame Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You dont need to re-download anything, even the launcher. Just disable shields, exclude the directory, restore your exe file from maintenance-> Virus Chest, scan it do be sure, enable back shields, go to your directory and click on restored exe to play the game. I would not trust downloading and installing something while shield is down .Better be careful than regretting it later
  • mrvic3363mrvic3363 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaerdis wrote: »
    im not sure because there was no patching last night or this morningfor me and anyone can Report software as Malware, get enough people to do it and its added to the list automaticly by some Antivirus programs

Looks like its a failed CRC check. which is very basic to setup. its checks the file size vs the CRC value. This is a preventive basic step to ensure that a virus does not sneak into a exe (hence different file size vs CRC) If this is the case and its simply the Devs failed to update the basic CRC or we have some "added" bits of data that were injected into the file. The Dev's borking up a basic file security code is most likely but either way its shoddy and worth concern on my part.
  • mrbloody369mrbloody369 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some one in Avast(even full version is blocking the game) don't like Neverwinter, because it removed it from my pc as well because detected it as spyware when I got home today.. Reported it as a false positive so hop fully they stop removing icon from desk\top and ran from folder doesn't let the server connect. Going to go though steps from above and pray..
  • bloodhammer81bloodhammer81 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any comments from cryptic ?
  • localcustomslocalcustoms Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mrvic3363 wrote: »

Yeah seems like a good way to get people to drop the security and then hit them with something else. If its hacker/gold farmers reporting it as malware you think they wont think twice about draining your account.
  • daiseikodaiseiko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually never had this problem, but two of my cousins did. I have the most recent AVAST program update and virus definition update.

The only difference that I can think of which I did, and they did not, was:
    - Right click on the Neverwinter shortcut on your desktop
    - Select PROPERTIES
    - Under the SHORTCUT tab, click on ADVANCED...
    - Check RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
    - Click OK.

I don't know if this was what saved me from this issue, but it's worth a try.

Good luck!