test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GuardianFighter, Block button problems

amorix88amorix88 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Is anyone having problem on their guardianfighter where you press block and letting it go and pressing it a second time, you cannot hold it? I used to be able to hold and press block,let go,and hold it indefinitely,not it doesn't work, it lets the shield go down,like s stagger or parry like thing.It ends up with me getting hit when I shouldn't be hit. I switched the button to numpad 3 to make sure it wasn't my shift button being sticky,same problem.
Post edited by amorix88 on

Comments

• Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    amorix88 wrote: »
    Is anyone having problem on their guardianfighter where you press block and letting it go and pressing it a second time, you cannot hold it? I used to be able to hold and press block,let go,and hold it indefinitely,not it doesn't work, it lets the shield go down,like s stagger or parry like thing.It ends up with me getting hit when I shouldn't be hit. I switched the button to numpad 3 to make sure it wasn't my shift button being sticky,same problem.

They changed using block from client side to server side and its causing all sorts of problems.
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • Options
    amorix88amorix88 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WTH....Thanks for letting me know. I wonder if they'll change it back. I noticed its creating a weird rubberband effect on attacks, where they echo previous attack without it unleashing the attack.
  • Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    amorix88 wrote: »
    WTH....Thanks for letting me know. I wonder if they'll change it back. I noticed its creating a weird rubberband effect on attacks, where they echo previous attack without it unleashing the attack.

They won't change it back because there was a program going around that could alter client side values and make your characters hit for millions.
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • Options
    belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's affected GWF alot too since they "fixed" it. I can't tell you the number of times I've stood around trying to run the full dps aoe rotation only to see after unstoppable ends that I'm not actually swinging my sword. Gets worse in dungeons; and I'm getting into the habit of having to double click my abilities just to get them to proc.
  • Options
    datdanktankdatdanktank Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    :mad: I thought I was imagining this...
  • Options
    dilaniodilanio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    They won't change it back because there was a program going around that could alter client side values and make your characters hit for millions.

Not just that but it allowed unlimited stamina to all other classes.
  • Options
    mercenaryiiimercenaryiii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope they do something, it is ridiculously hard to Guard against stuff now. I used to take so little damage in fights, but now I'm soaking up completely unnecessary hits. It screws up really bad when I use an Encounter Power and try to Guard immediately after (which is pretty fundamental to tanking, I believe).
  • Options
    sokocansokocan Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what does it mean when it says + 51 power on my dagger?
  • Options
    llewelyn89llewelyn89 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought it was just me - I am having major issues with this too, they need to find some other way to fix the original problem.
  • Options
    ploidzploidz Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Went from successful open beta to a mess.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I bumped into the same problem with my GF (well, my guardian fighter -- I don't block my gf!), especially in PvP where the European lag makes well-timed blocking difficult. But, admittedly, I don't know how else they can handle this. (Possibly handle just the stamina loss server-side?) Trusting the client too much is a can of worms.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    kevinlivekevinlive Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having some issues with this aswell, mainly in the form of me "blocking" - it does the block animation, but it does not block. Forcing me to constantly toggling the block to get it to work.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ok... I've been testing this more extensively and can re-create at will.
    Holding shift to block > Let go for an instant and press shift again and hold (something you do often when tanking) > now you're in limbo :confused: Apparently the server thinks you're not blocking anymore, but since you're still holding shift your left and right click are still Aggravating Strike and Shield Slam. Your character will try to face away from the camera as if you're still blocking but moves at full speed and kind of twitches around because he's not doing the block animation. This has caused a couple deaths for me, and numerous flops... I thought my timing was just off, but after testing further I believe This is something that needs to be addressed
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Datdanktank what you are describing is exactly what is happening to me. I thought it was lag at first, then I thought there was something wrong with the collision detection. It never ever occurred to me that the latest patch might be the culprit.

I really can't play like this, so I think I'll have to stop playing for awhile till they do something about it. At least I now know I'm not imagining things.
  • Options
    muffleddmuffledd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah no wonder..I thought I was the only one too. Anyway the way to resolve this should not be having to make it server side or client side. Cryptic should totally get a game anti-hack client (Nprotect) or something. I believe those glitch abusers are using 3rd party programs to alter the client side values and applying some anti-hack would resolve that. It will also prevent any botters from happening. The way I see it, this game will be flooded with botters in time to come.
  • Options
    talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited May 2013
    Same here. I'm EU so I don't know if the added latency makes things worse, but I definately have a lot of problems with this bug. In about one out of three times I raise shield it bugs out on me.

I don't know, seems like my client thinks I'm blocking due to me holding shift, but server says I'm not. Guard flat out not working is one thing, but worse is you can't see if it's working or not. No discernable difference unless you start moving around or see the damage getting through, very annoying.

I hope this gets resolved somehow, if anything make the guard stance and at wills trigger per server check once the server registers guard being up. Just out of curiosity, what was this change supposed to be fix anyway? I'm asuming it involves an exploit, what with client side information like this being easy to manipulate. Some sort of permablock hack?
  • Options
    muffleddmuffledd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not too sure myself, but I've heard of exploiters using GF to deal insane dmg. I presume it's manipulating the dmg numbers or something. So I reckoned they altered it to server side to conveniently deal with that. that seems like a bad solution to it imo, especially when its an action-mmo.
  • Options
    meitranmeitran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here. Im going trough tons of healing pots because i do damage like a little girl, using ages to kill anything. Combined with block not working, making agroproduction close to impossible.
  • Options
    eldurrp1eldurrp1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok... I've been testing this more extensively and can re-create at will.
    Holding shift to block > Let go for an instant and press shift again and hold (something you do often when tanking) > now you're in limbo :confused: Apparently the server thinks you're not blocking anymore, but since you're still holding shift your left and right click are still Aggravating Strike and Shield Slam. Your character will try to face away from the camera as if you're still blocking but moves at full speed and kind of twitches around because he's not doing the block animation. This has caused a couple deaths for me, and numerous flops... I thought my timing was just off, but after testing further I believe This is something that needs to be addressed

This is making blocking extremely difficult.

This has messed up the responsiveness that really makes combat feel so dynamic.

I hope they fix this soon because I prefer to feel that I'm in control while fighting, not just button mashing damage abilities.
  • Options
    eldurrp1eldurrp1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eldurrp1 wrote: »
    This is making blocking extremely difficult.

This has messed up the responsiveness that really makes combat feel so dynamic.

I hope they fix this soon because I prefer to feel that I'm in control while fighting, not just button mashing damage abilities.

I've noticed that this seems to happen if I use an encounter ability and immediately block.

If I use an ability and swing my sword, I seem to be able to block effectively.
  • Options
    turlamturlam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ploidz wrote: »
    Went from successful open beta to a mess.

Was never open beta. that is just a term being used as a crutch.....

Anyways,
    When a Company makes a change like this and it begins to effect the players ability to actually play, more exploits will be found as a remedy. So, lets hope there is not another game breaking exploit because I for one feel i have been severely shafted on my "Caturday" rewards for being "patient" while they un borked a system that has been borked since CB.

...ohhh, and fix block please. It really annoying to see my character start having seizures in the midst of a fight.
  • Options
    tehjrowtehjrow Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same thing happens to me, I can't tell if i'm blocking or not until I get hit because my character looks like she's blocking but isn't sometimes
  • Options
    only1klonly1kl Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2013
    I just rerolled my character (GWF) to GF yesterday. I've always enjoyed playing the utility class. (Tanks/healers/buffers etc) Going from GWF to GF was an eye opener. The combat was a blast. Having the ability to block at will and still deal some respectable damage was a godsend. (Compared to GWF). Now today I've been getting the stuffing kicked out of me because the ability to block properly has been clipped. Due to the change GF survivability lies solely in a little red bottle. It seems I just can't win. Guess I will just roll that TR or CW everyone has been raving about until this is resolved.
  • Options
    mslettlesmslettles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't seen an official PW response on this. Is anyone working on fixing it? Is this how they want us to play?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Here is another thread in the Bug Reports forum about the same issue: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?288402-Guardian-Fighter-s-Guard-ability-not-working-properly
  • Options
    snapybsnapyb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    sigh pwe laziest fix ever ... implement anti hack software.... like someone mentioned earlier... i danno its become unbearable in pvp lol can block one attack b4 taking so much unnecessary damage if u wana hit back. so as of now i guess if u block dont let go unless its safe rofl

i want to see a mod/gm/dev reply to the forums honestly
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    option 1: actually assign folks to ban detected exploiters, at least til they can work on shutting out the program that anyone can tell is responsible for this. And then implement anti-cheat detection software.

option 2: alter the client/server interaction which is now causing untold bugs which may never be remedied rendering one of the MOST UNDERPLAYED and complained about classes even LESS useful.

how was option 2 ever really an option? This is BEYOND the realm of STUPIDITY.
  • Options
    joukuoj32joukuoj32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Check last patch notes->better gateway so we can lvl up proffesions when not playing game.

PS I hope in 2-3 weeks i will see some feats fixes(only for 1 class is good)
    More gateway fixes and it will be time to move on.(but i love this game T_T)
  • Options
    snapybsnapyb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    yea honestly they spend to much dam time fixing stupid gateway issues and not the actual game for crying out loud, this is prob my last week if there isn't a fix by the end of the month :/ really enjoyed this game :/ sad to move on but dragon prophet here i come
  • Options
    sshatesshate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Yeah. It made the worst defensive ability for a defense-oriented class even more terrible. They should look at ANY other Action RPG MMO like Terra, Cot9, Vindictus, etc, for a better block mechanic.