test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Avast put Neverwinter.exe in quarantine

roxeiaxiiiroxeiaxiii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Today when i launch the game, avast tell me that c:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter.exe is infected by FileRepMalware. The file size is 4715520 and CRC 30990844

It's a false positive or the file is really corrupted and i have to reinstall the game?

Thanks
Post edited by roxeiaxiii on

Comments

• lintydruid1lintydruid1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've encountered this too.
  • alebeirdalebeird Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want to play Neverwinter..
  • dolbedolbe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here. I can't get avast to stop putting in the virus chest.
  • proqludumproqludum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited May 2013
    Yes have this problem also, easy to fix but still annoying.
  • ronbo68ronbo68 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    proqludum wrote: »
    Yes have this problem also, easy to fix but still annoying.

Sorry proqludum but how were you able to fix it? First time it happened and I admit I am not the most astute when it comes to these types of issues.
  • ironseer123ironseer123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same with me guys, bump.
  • onra2605onra2605 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here. You may use the gameclient.exe instead. But still: I'd like to start up the game as usual.
  • vaerdisvaerdis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup happened here too i was playing last night and suddenly went to bed and then BOOM this morning it said Virus.. there must be some REALLY Disgruntled idiot Ex-Players out there wanting to cause problems, or mad Bot / Gold / AD Farming companies!
  • frickincarl1frickincarl1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    onra2605 wrote: »
    Same here. You may use the gameclient.exe instead. But still: I'd like to start up the game as usual.
    I have launched the game with this "gameclient.exe" and it launches the game. The only problem is, once I've input my account information I get timed out at "connecting to the account servers"

It is a very strange issue that I think it related to not having launched the game in the launcher. The game isn't able to verify the version of my game and establish contact with the server home.
  • jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Phew! Glad I'm not the only one! Very annoying. I might have to skip Avast next time I re install W7.

My problem is that now I can't find ANY trace of Neverwinter on my PC.
  • ironseer123ironseer123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, managed to fix it, just go to your avast File Shield or however it's called and put the whole Cryptic Studios folder in Exeptions guys.
  • lazodinlazodin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having the same issue, I right clicked on the neverwinter icon, opened the file location, then launched it straight from the GameClient file. That got me in game, but when I log in and try to launch it, it won't connect to the character selection, just hangs while loading for a while, then backs up to the log in screen.
  • kalthraliskalthralis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just had the same problem, spent about 20 mins trying to figure out how the heck to fix it and where to get a clean Neverwinter.exe to replace the supposed 'infected' one.

Sigh. Still nothing.
  • mathatanmathatan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here. I just added exclusion for *.exe in Cryptic Studios directory. Somehow I doubt that there's really any malware, but that the problem something related to how neverwinter.exe is replaced on update. Anyhow, just add exclusion to your real-time scanner to get around this.

Steps:
    Double-click avast icon
    select security
    click file system shield
    click settings
    select exclusions
    click browse on the last line
    - or just copy and paste: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\*.exe if you installed on default location

Disclaimer: If there is really a virus I don't take any responsibility.

Other than a total time hog and personal life intruder I don't think that there's really any viruses involved, and those are positive traits for these kinds of games I suppose.. ;)
    edited May 2013
    What is the directory for this game in W7? I can't find any trace of the game now. I put "cryptic" in the search button and nothing!
  • aleranhdaleranhd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having the same issue as discussed in this alternate thread. Adding the Cryptic Studios folder to the Avast exclusion list worked for me.

EDIT: @jpnole, the default game directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios.
  • onra2605onra2605 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, I see. What you can do instead - is what I did - ist to disable Avast for 10 minutes via the menu, while restoring the .exe before from the avast container. It works, though it's your own risk, naturally.
  • lintydruid1lintydruid1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You could add an exception to the AV settings (at your own risk). I've scanned the file after restore and whilst in the virus chest and reports "no virus". It is only on execution its an issue. I've reported it as a false positive to Avast.

Cryptic: Could you add a digital certificate to you binaries (EXE and DLL). It would help to ensure that they have not been tampered with. Its hard to tell if something has changed it and therefore there is a remote chance of a virus (I believe its a false positive).
  • rhibeerhibee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This worked. Thanks!
    Ok, managed to fix it, just go to your avast File Shield or however it's called and put the whole Cryptic Studios folder in Exeptions guys.
  • atxrando1atxrando1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was playing untill the wee hours this morning....went to sleep, woke up and avast went all crazy on me! I can't get the game to play at all
    edited May 2013
    *double post*
    edited May 2013
    1. Open Avast, go to "Settings" -> "Global Exclusions" -> add the folder where you have your Neverwinter.exe default is ...\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ -> close "Settings"
    2. Go to "Maintenance" -> Virus Chest -> right click on "Neverwinter.exe" -> "Restore" -> close Avast

... thats it.
  • erasmocbterasmocbt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013

this!
    same problem, fixed with the ironseer123 tip.

strange issue btw...
  • big0100big0100 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Open Avast, go to "Settings" -> "Global Exclusions" -> add the folder where you have your Neverwinter.exe default is ...\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\ -> close "Settings"
    2. Go to "Maintenance" -> Virus Chest -> right click on "Neverwinter.exe" -> "Restore" -> close Avast

... thats it.

This Works was going to post it my self
    edited May 2013
    I figured it out! Thanks for the info all.
  • frickincarl1frickincarl1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I can confirm this is the fix. I added the whole folder location the excluded list in avast and I was able to successfully reinstall the game and launch the patcher. Big thanks, man!
  • jbenefieldjbenefield Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dolbe wrote: »
    Same here. I can't get avast to stop putting in the virus chest.

I had same problem, what you do is go to your virus chest, right click neverwinter and select restore, then go to avast setting and select global exclusions. Find and select cryptic studios in your programs files. This worked for me.
    edited May 2013
    Got it up and running here. Of course now it asked to run since it shows "unknown publisher" but I can turn asking every time off or leave it on. lol Just happy it works. =) Thank you all for the help.
  • malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013

... thats it.

Even if I put Exclusions it still removes it from the folder when I try to run it. Then again I'm using the free version of Avast. So I don't know.
    edited May 2013
    malvou wrote: »
    Even if I put Exclusions it still removes it from the folder when I try to run it. Then again I'm using the free version of Avast. So I don't know.

I use the free version too malvou and got it to work. I downloaded the launcher file and tried but it would remove it. I noticed the file was in my documents folder. I turned off avast for 10 minutes then downloaded the launcher file again and moved it to my cryptic folder. I put the cryptic folder in my exclusion file and then turned it back on. Seems to work for me now.