Install Arc
Options

XP is too high, I am always overlevelled

2»

Comments

• Options
    xenophoonxenophoon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've actually had the exact opposite problem. I've been leveling with a friend (as a party), at the moment we're around level 30 and about 2 levels behind. We've had to run skirmishes/PvP arena just to try to catch up.

I'm rather disappointed that the party system is this disadvantageous.
  • Options
    mrtastixmrtastix Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    I, for one, am glad at the quick pace of leveling.

I think leveling is an outdated mechanic that needs to be seriously looked at in future games. Though I understand the necessity of leveling as a learning curve I think other ways work just as well without a tedious grind.

I also understand that many people don't agree with me and my somewhat unorthodox design philosophies, however.
  • Options
    adronsonadronson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    This is the problem with every MMO, the hard-cores cry and the developers institute a war on fun, it needs to stop they are the most vocal not the majority.

The "war on fun" will not be necessary when casual players hit max level after a couple of weeks. Folks will get their equipment within another few weeks, then look around for something to do. The foundry can't substitute for high end dungeons -- there will not be the widely shared goals of getting new equipment. I fear the devs will not be able to create new content at the fast pace they've set.
  • Options
    adronsonadronson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    or you could just ya know......stop leveling so fast and see what you want to see.

To see what you want to see you have to constantly kill stuff, that means you are constantly gaining xp. It seems everything you do gains xp.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the same thing happening still doing lvl 38,39 quest and I am lvl 44, I am not even doing foundry, skirmish and delve dailies anymore just the pvp ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    adronson wrote: »
    The "war on fun" will not be necessary when casual players hit max level after a couple of weeks. Folks will get their equipment within another few weeks, then look around for something to do. The foundry can't substitute for high end dungeons -- there will not be the widely shared goals of getting new equipment. I fear the devs will not be able to create new content at the fast pace they've set.

I agree with this. Although it is impossible to predict what NW plans to do in the future. They probably would have been better served making the xp a bit more of a grind then just do these sets of quests for 4 levels a pop. I've leveled a toon just doing the adventure area, one just doing pvp and another doing a bit of everything. I would say just pure pvp is a very quick way to level. I've heard of the foundry xp as some are created just for xp. I never decided to do that. Leveling was so fast already what was the rush.
  • Options
    raal1raal1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, people will complain about anything.
  • Options
    magilzealmagilzeal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Actually, I've never done PvP, rarely did dungeons and skirmishes (maybe one or two dungeons, two or three skirmishes total), and still outleveled entire zones before I even got to them, just doing enough foundries for daily quests and quest chains (this started happening mid-upper 40s). I don't know if it's bad per se but it does make me wonder what I'm missing by having tons of quest undone at 60.

Kinda wish that when you hit 60, experience points rewards from quests were converted to gold or astral diamonds, like in WoW. Gives some incentive to finish off the story when you hit 60.
    Rise of the Fell King - A Forgotten Realms campaign (work in progress) NWS-DS38FJ5R8
    Part One: The Fell Cavern (looking for feedback!) NW-DTWX9RBQH
    Hopefully more to come!

• Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm afraid the XP rate is going to be a bit of an issue. Because for those of us who don't like dungeons and skirmishes, and who just prefer to play through the main quests, the XP is just right.

It really makes me wonder if the game wasn't originally designed to be played as a singleplayer game, because many things seem to be more balanced for the singleplayer experience.

The multiplayer aspects just don't feel right to me, it's as though they decided half way through the game's development to suddenly change it into an MMO, without any real thought into how that content would impact the rest of the game.

Anyway, I for one hope they don't lower the XP rate. It would be much better if they could just find a way to let higher leveled characters go back to do the earlier content.
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hycinthus wrote: »
    Between story quests and foundry quests and skirmishes and dailies, I am always overlevelled in the next zone. This was not a problem until i start receiving dungeon, skirmish quests that I cannot queue anymore.

I hate missing content like this, but I also cannot stop doing my daily foundry and daily skirmish and daily PvP because I want the AD and glory. Also, added with XP from praying, it's becoming too much.

Perhaps allow dungeons to still be queued for higher levels, TERA allows this.

Right now I'm playing a new character and refusing to do any foundries, PVP, extra skirmishes, or anything except story quests and every skirmish/dungeon once. It's the only way to see everything. My old character reached 60 when there was still 5-6 story arcs left, and I just can't be bothered to go back now.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    pharoah4187pharoah4187 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm on the fence about the rate of leveling. On the one hand, I like that I don't spend forever killing mobs watching my XP bar not move. On the other, my gear is in a constant state of rotation so I haven't bothered with the enchanting mechanic yet and I constantly find myself "accidentally" leveling my character and locking the content behind me. With that in mind, I think one of the big fixes they could implement is eliminating the XP gain from praying and eliminating the XP gain from the crafting. That would slow the level gain a bit and encourage dabbling in the Foundry/PVP to make up for the missing prayer XP (and doing the dailies).

Not having level locked content would also help immensely, although accidentally skipping content and making the game so that you can't go back to it *does* give incentive to leveling multiple characters so that the player can "see everything". Which in turn eats character slots.
  • Options
    utzpretzelsutzpretzels Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    I agree this is a problem. Here is a summary of the reasons (some of which are from above).

1) I level so fast that no particular piece of gear means anything to me. That means I don't care about seals, or enchantments, or buying leveling gear on the AH, or using clothing dye. This is a major problem for the game; it means that they built all of this stuff in the game that I simply don't care about.

2) Since I am at least 5 levels above where I should be, the content is uber-easy, all the time.

3) I get locked out of queuing for content I haven't been in yet. I am missing entire dungeons and skirmishes.

What they need to do is:
    1) Make it more obvious what the expected level ranges are for the zones
    2) Give you major xp penalties for being outside the range so that you slow down and the content can catch up to you.
    3) Allow you to level up manually rather than automatically. XP gain either stops altogether or is simply banked.
    4) Have a better cosmetic system, more similar to Lord of the Rings Online. You can make ANY piece of gear cosmetic. Therefore you can use dyes and get everything to look right and it will stick around as long as you want it to.
  • Options
    n1451n1451 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not an issue in the last two regions I visited. Perhaps you pvp alot(also dungeons)?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    The multiplayer aspects just don't feel right to me, it's as though they decided half way through the game's development to suddenly change it into an MMO, without any real thought into how that content would impact the rest of the game.

Funny you should say that... Neverwinter, originally, wasn't going to be an MMO. Not this sort of MMO, anyway. Originally (those of us who've been with Cryptic since 2009 remember this, back when they first announced it), NW was going to be an online small-group coop game. Heavily foundry-based. They didn't release many details, but I got the impression it was going to be somewhat like the original Guild Wars, where the MMO part was in the cities, and you went out with your group to instanced areas to adventure in Cryptic and/or Foundry content.

That all changed when they were picked up by PWE, and they made a big announcement saying "No, we changed our mind, it's going to be a full MMO now."

Oh, and as an aside.. You actually can do dungeons that you've outleveled. You just can't queue for them using the group finder. But if you go up to the door, it'll let you (and your party, assuming you have one) in.

Related: Doing a dungeon this way does also count as completion both for the quest and for the daily (if applicable). You don't have to use the group finder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always do all the quests (but rarely the dungeons/skirmishes) and am frequently 1 or 2 levels below content. I usually do a couple of foundries in Foundry XP Hour to catch up. I would guess that if I did the Skirmishes and Dungeons my XP progression rate would be exactly right but it is just annoying to have to put certain (privately-instanced) quests on hold to do skirmishes or dungeons so I don't usually bother.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I prefer to keep the professions XP, though losing the praying XP would be good. I'd really rather just see them cut XP gain in around half across the board. I'm sick of getting a Daily that requires 3 skirmishes, only to outlevel after one or two. I'm at level 54 and am just leaving Icespire Peak. I will hit max level long before doing the story content:(. It's not like I am PVPing all day or anything either. I do a bit of everything. I try to get a few dailies and do some story content, and I seem to outlevel everything:(.
  • Options
    thetravelingboythetravelingboy Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I missed the second bag you get through normal quest missions because of this. I refuse to buy any now, I feel cheated.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I missed the second bag you get through normal quest missions because of this. I refuse to buy any now, I feel cheated.

Are you serious? You know that you can still go back, do those quests and get that bag......
  • Options
    lappdancerlappdancer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They can't please everyone. I have two characters that I play quite a bit differently.

One I do a lot of dungeons, foundry, skirmishes.
    One I've only been doing the quest line.

Both are around the same spot in the story line but the first one is about 5 levels above the second.

I prefer the way they have it. I don't think it would be as enjoyable if all of the sudden I had to grind out other things to get to an appropriate level for an area.