test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tips/Advice for players starting in Neverwinter...

2»

Comments

• Options
    xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just going to bump this thread one last time for anyone who might have missed it & the game starting open beta for some players in 30 minutes!
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • Options
    willadarkeaglewilladarkeagle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Awesome thread--great info!!
  • Options
    tyreanthiltyreanthil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great guide
    Thank you

When do we get invocation, where is it, and how do we invoke it?

Thx!
    Gamer since 1976, SPI, AH Boardgames got me started
    Got Apple II in 1979 and onward to gaming...
    MMO's : UO, EQ, WOW since Classic, Rift, TOR, and now NWN and EVE since 2006
  • Options
    lufos12lufos12 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    is the foundry really so exp intensive, that you outlvl your area if you go there on a regular basis? i was planning on doing so, but i obviosly dont want to outlvl the area im questing in or rushing through lvls in general. do you at least get decent gear gold and such for foundry runs?
  • Options
    itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tyreanthil wrote: »
    Great guide
    Thank you

When do we get invocation, where is it, and how do we invoke it?

Thx!

You get invocation around level 10 in Protector's Enclave. There should be a quest (from Sgt Knox I think), that leads you to the campfire there for invocation. Then after that you can use a camp fire or portable altar to invoke every hour.
  • Options
    saml1saml1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If Lockjaw doesn't get you, the Specs will.
  • Options
    tanerastaneras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Which brings up another good point: beware when going AFK at a camp, even within the campfire ring. If someone trains Lockjaw to the Docks, you could be in trouble.

When PvPing: you can invoke your god in the campfire circle in any PvP match if you notice you need to do so.

Love the EQ reference ;)
    saml1 wrote: »
    If Lockjaw doesn't get you, the Specs will.

Or the sand giants...
  • Options
    xyntrynz1axyntrynz1a Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Anyone else having issue getting their Founders pack items?
    I can't get my companion
    Scoundrel Trickster Rogue
    Leaving dead question marks everywhere
  • Options
    kl0kekl0ke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    taneras wrote: »
    Love the EQ reference ;)

Or the sand giants...

Let's not forget Froglok trains in Lower Guk or doing your best to back out of Crushbone because Dvinn is camping the zone.

Good times...
  • Options
    itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xyntrynz1a wrote: »
    Anyone else having issue getting their Founders pack items?
    I can't get my companion

Is there a level requirement on it? Done the companion quest yet?
  • Options
    vikinggamervikinggamer Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Set yourself a timer and be sure to pray every hour. You will get a lot of AD and other goodies from praying. You can pray at campfires and altars. You can carry portable altars and you can pray at the portable altars that others set down. Praying also gives you coins daily and hourly. It is their loyalty mechanic for logging on every day and encouraging you to stay on longer each day. always spend your hourly coins before heading out. They will reset after something like 6 hours. I think you can get the quest and talk to the lady about invocation as early as lvl 7 but I might be remembering that wrong.

You can get a companion at lvl 16. Be sure to train them now and again.

All die, so die well.
  • Options
    frozentreatsfrozentreats Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great info, thanks folks.
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I thought the coins reset if you didn't log in over a 24 hour period?
    26.jpg
  • Options
    cfranciscfrancis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bismar7 wrote: »
    1. Save your gold until you hit level 20; you will need it to buy a mount (unless you are a founder and already have one). After this your gold will only be useful for buying *white* companions (white companions have a max level of 15), Profession materials, the three horse mounts (just different models), and gear. The gear is useful to round yourself out every 10 levels or so which brings me to

2. Check the Vendors for gear; gold (in the betas) lost its usefulness the higher I leveled, you can buy some very useful gear about once every 5-7 levels from the vendors, the level of the gear upgrades as you level higher, so check it every 5 levels or so.

3. Daily Quests; there is an Astral Diamond vendor outside the market that is right next to the Daily quest person, you can also hit L (I think thats the keybind) to open a UI to accept these without going to the quest guy. These quests give you a leveled amount of AD (Astral Diamonds; At level 50 you can gain 13000 across all four dailies (PVP, Foundry, Dungeons, and one other... can't remember what it was), which brings me to

4. Astral Diamonds, these are used for just about ANYTHING in the game, they are used for anything on the Auction house; they are used to buy Zen without putting in real money; they are used to upgrade mounts to a faster speed; they are used to buy certain pieces of gear from vendors, they are used to "socket" companions and gear for better stats, they are used to speed up profession missions. Basically it is the Primary currency of Neverwinter; They come in two different types, refined and unrefined. If you bought a founders pack then you will be recieving refined AD; all AD that I have seen in earned in game has been unrefined.

5. Earning AD: They can be hard to earn and you can only "refine" 24000 a day. Only refined AD is spendable. You can earn them by completing the Daily quests, Doing Skirmishs during the Skirmish event (1000 unrefined AD per skirmish), Some profession missions, and by Invoking the gods.

6. Invoking the gods is a spell you obtain around level 10, if you hit 10 I suggest you immediately go back to Protectors Enclave and talk to Sgt. Knox (the guy who has been giving you the main story quests); he will give you a quest to learn how to do this. Invoking the gods is something you want to get and use as much as possible, you can obtain Items, Astral Diamonds, 1-2 hour long buffs to your character, Experience, and Coins.

7. Coins, Bounty, Seals; There are two types of coins,

Ardent Coins: These are obtained from invoking and give you access to exclusive rewards from a shop called the Piety Vault. Some of the items can ONLY be obtained there, you cannot buy an Angel of Protection companion from the cash shop, but you can get one from the Piety Vault shop. Ardent coins are bound to character and cannot be bought or traded. To my knowledge (pleaase correct me if I am wrong) These coins can only be gained from invoking once per day.

Celestial Coins: these are also gained from invoking, however if you go 24 hours without invoking they disappear. The most costly thing I have seen that can be bought with these costed 7 coins; however in BW4 the most expensive item was 5 coins.

Bounty: In each area there are items that drop that may be traded in for a bounty item; this item is usually something that is useful to you character in that particular area. For example an Elixir that increases your damage against orcs in the area where there is mostly orc enemies. The bounty tokens are also used to buy different Seals from the vendor depending on the area. 10 tokens per elixir and 40 per seal.

Seals: Seals are badges you can trade in for dungeon quality gear, different Seals represent different level gear that can be traded for by a vendor. The vendor is located in the market, in Protectors Enclave. You can also obtain Seals from looting dungeon bosses, 1 drops per boss.

8. Mics and grouping; Many people do not know this, however when you group up with someone your group is automatically set to "open". This means ANYONE can right click you and join your group, even in an instance (if they use the group finder). There is an option to turn this off.

Also Voice chat is turned on by default, this is something I suggest leaving on because it can help coordinate your group (if its working, it had a habit of crashing alot in the Cbeta). There are also options for turning this on or off, and for calibrating your mic/voice chat in game.

9. Combat rooting and movement speed.

I played a control wizard and am almost always a caster. The mobs in the game move EXTREMELY fast and when you attack on anyone you are rooted in place while you do so. This means that kiting takes place as a move - cast - move leapfrog movement while using your "dodge" move. There are items and enchant stones with movement speed on them and this can GREATLY improve your ability to kite, even more so than any other game I have played. (probably because of the rooting mechanic). So if you want to be able to kite semi-effectively in this game, be prepared to sacrifice some stats for movement speed. This is Particularly useful (I found) against Melee classes in PVP.

Finally I want to link a Thread by Derresh; http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?119021-Advanced-Combat-Tips
    Check it out some really good general combat tips.

hope this helps :D

Thank you all your posts are great just wish I could find something on why my char keeps getting pushed around when there is no one there npc/another char
  • Options
    uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited May 2013
    Connect your creditcard to a carbattery, giving you a serious shock everytime you touch it.
    In all seriousness, the Zenstory is full over overpriced but to impulsebuyers highly attractive <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I for instance bought a friggin armored bear for friggin 50 bucks. Now I want to rip of my butt and wear it as a hat.
  • Options
    highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
    edited May 2013
    Don't read forums, especially that general forum threads. Just don't. If you like this game, do yourself a favor, go ahead and play it, but DON'T ready those forums. Hopefully this hasn't been mentioned. Apologize, if it was.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agree with the above poster...

Playing this game and reading the forums is like spending a nice day out with friends and having a good time only to come back home and watch the news and realise just how crappy the world can be...
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    simple advise ...
    be what ever you want to be ...
    experience the game yourself the way you want to ....
    some people might hate you, some might like you ...
    doesnt matter, only you who know you really are ...

GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN
  • Options
    llewelyn89llewelyn89 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DON'T unseat your low level enchantments - it's a judgment call at level 5 and smart from six up but before that drop a better/different one over the top & the original is destroyed.
    They cost WAY more to remove than they are worth.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Use your character slots efficiently. Raise at least 2 characters to level 10 and grind Leadership with them. You can set tasks through the Gateway. When praying to get AD, take a moment to log to the other character and pray with her as well. This will make you generate more revenue through invoking and crafting. And the alt will slowly level through those tasks, enough to gain a few levels for when you want to try that class!

The best task to grind is "Protect Caravan", level 3. After getting three slots, use the remaining ones to grind exp so you can access to the "Fight Undead Task", which is not so efficient but it sets for 6 hours so you can relax.

"Collect Taxes" is a higher level task that can be worthwhile if you take a little time to grind maps from a Rare task called "Collect Maps". Again, do not use your "Protect Caravan" slots to get those, but the free ones. The best time to set "Collect Taxes" and "Fight Undead" tasks are before heading to bed, they will assure you a better reward considering the time investment they require (and since everybody needs to sleep, hehe).

In due time this small time investment will prove to be extremely worthwhile. :)
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do not spam the zone chat with LFG or trade chat...If enough players ignore you or report you you will get a 24 hour chat ban.
  • Options
    defrag625defrag625 Member Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    Thanks a lot mate!
  • Options
    gophurgophur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Don't Identify everything you find. Start with items that are not tinted red. The red ones are not usable by your class. After around level 30 or so it will start to pay off to identify some red items and auction them. At higher levels it may even be worthwhile to ID them and then vendor for gold. But always start with the ones you can use so you don't get stuck with some shiny recommended gear that you can't ID because you used the last one on vendor trash. ID scrolls are an important resource. Only invest ID scrolls in non-class gear if you are reasonbly sure you can recoup that investment or preferrably make a profit.

ID everything. ID scrolls are plentiful, you'll have stacks of extras and ID'd items are worth more at the vendor so you'll have plenty of potion money too.
  • Options
    honeydewstuffhoneydewstuff Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hey people im new!

So i'm having trouble toggling between standard chat to zone/guild and everything else. Pressed 'enter', followed by clicking on the chat bubble to toggle but options such as 'chat' and 'emotes' won't open.

Need help to communicate with my guild :)
  • Options
    boeymoeyboeymoey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks fo this guide
  • Options
    l3l3l3l3l3l3l3l3 Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2013
    1/ only collect/pickup rank 4 enchants.

2/ dont pick up green gear, just blue and better(blue is usually worth the silver, green is insignificant)

Only because bagspace is at a premium.

3/ do level up professions, it is worth it in the long run as a source of AD.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1) Do not spend any real money on anything, anything you can buy through Packs will eventually become available through regular content in one form or another and sometime will be more powerful.

2) If you disregard number 1) and you find an exploit that requires you to spend real money to accomplish, do it as much as you want/can you, will only be branded as lucky with no repercussion whatsoever.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Search everywhere....walls, behind trees, and on top of big rocks for treasure chests. I'm still discovering hidden areas after 4 months.
    -and-
    Beware the naked goblins ;)
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    hey people im new!

So i'm having trouble toggling between standard chat to zone/guild and everything else. Pressed 'enter', followed by clicking on the chat bubble to toggle but options such as 'chat' and 'emotes' won't open.

Need help to communicate with my guild :)
    There is no seperate Guild chat tab unless you create one. For Guild chat just type "/guild" then press enter. Another way you can communicate is with the in-game mail. Go to a mailbox, self explanatory from there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ignore most of the "People" on the Forums. They are Employees/Interns/Fanboys/Lunatics attached to other Games who believe that getting this game closed will somehow improve their lives. It's a fun little ride if you don't take it too seriously and enjoy it as it is. If you're an obsessive/compulsive AD&Diehard, then this may not be your best choice in games. Don't spend real life cash until you've been around long enough to know what you're getting for your money. PUG's for Dungeons, especially at higher levels, are the most obnoxious that I've ever seen and PVP requires an Adamantium Hide+10 vs. A$$H#&s. I avoid both like the Spellplague, but if you have the aforementioned Hide, then you may very well enjoy PVP greatly. A LOT of people do. And Guild based Dungeon Runs can be an absolute, drama free, BLAST.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time