test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do they even read the Forum?

pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What we did not expect, and should have, is how amazingly supportive and helpful our community would be during the brief snags that we might hit along the way. We are sincerely overwhelmed by all of the positive comments and feedback that we’ve received from you over the past few weeks, and would like to express our deepest thanks for your ongoing support and willingness to help us make Neverwinter one of the best free-to-play MMORPGs around.
They haven't been reading the same Forum I have been over the past few weeks. Most people here should be ashamed of their behavior.
Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
Post edited by pzzdachu on

Comments

• raaizeraaize Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your quote seems like it's missing part of it.
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah... I know.

Fixed it.
  • qryticalqrytical Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would you?
  • xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's human nature to deny what they do not agree to especially during crisis. Human history reflects that part of us. I quote

“The human mind has a primitive ego defense mechanism that negates all realities that produce too much stress for the brain to handle. It’s called Denial.”
    ― Dan Brown, Inferno

Anyway, comments are not limited to just the forum, there are also Twitter and Facebook. It's unfair to judge he community response by merely using the forum as a focal point.

Besides just for laughs, for all you know that could actually be sarcasm... try reading it in a sarcastic tone... the meaning kinda changed lol..

(What we did not expect, and should have, is how amazingly "supportive" and "helpful" our community would be during the brief snags that we might hit along the way. We are sincerely overwhelmed by all of the "positive" comments and "feedback"....)
  • bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    I'd say about half the forums is actually supportive, helpful and positive. There are some really nice people on here, and I hope to get to play with a lot of you.

The other half is easy enough to hide behind "This message is hidden because <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is on your ignore list." :D
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

• kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    bori4 wrote: »
    I'd say about half the forums is actually supportive, helpful and positive. There are some really nice people on here, and I hope to get to play with a lot of you.

Hah, the thing is, a lot of the nice, supportive and sensible people have some very... cutting things to say about the devs and the publisher, too. I suspect that if they actually read this forum, there would be a spate of bannings that would shake the very teeth of the mighty elephant (yea verily with a cherry on top).

A lot of the best posts that I have read around here have been brainstorms on how to short-circuit some of the more egregious bugs or avoid the more grisly cash grabs, to better enjoy the game :)
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xumina wrote: »
    It's human nature to deny what they do not agree to especially during crisis. Human history reflects that part of us. I quote

“The human mind has a primitive ego defense mechanism that negates all realities that produce too much stress for the brain to handle. It’s called Denial.”
    ― Dan Brown, Inferno

Anyway, comments are not limited to just the forum, there are also Twitter and Facebook. It's unfair to judge he community response by merely using the forum as a focal point.

Besides just for laughs, for all you know that could actually be sarcasm... try reading it in a sarcastic tone... the meaning kinda changed lol..

(What we did not expect, and should have, is how amazingly "supportive" and "helpful" our community would be during the brief snags that we might hit along the way. We are sincerely overwhelmed by all of the "positive" comments and "feedback"....)

Kudos for quoting from DB's Inferno, that book so new the ink is still wet.
  • arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic doesn't have time to read these forums! They hire moderators and company reps to do it for them, these people pull out the good threads and not the stupid, negative and trolling threads, they show the intelligent and good threads to Cryptic, and this is why they don't respond or care about all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> we see on these forums!

All you trolls that write negative and insulting threads to Cryptic are a waste of your time! No Cryptic employee will EVER read your troll threads because the moderators and reps won't save your email and forward it to Cryptic devs and CEO's!

You want to be heard? Then write something that's intelligent, something that isn't filled with profanity and insults. Cause if you do, then you aren't communicating to Cryptic, you are just communicating to the forum community who wants to waste their time reading your waste of time.
    edited May 2013
    qrytical wrote: »
    Would you?
    If you mean not knowingly exploit something wrong I found. No I wouldn't. Do you mean Lie about my feelings towards a hateful community...
    Have I yet?
    edited May 2013
    xumina wrote: »

― Dan Brown, Inferno

I did... I liked it.
  • jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    They haven't been reading the same Forum I have been over the past few weeks. Most people here should be ashamed of their behavior.

Why should anyone be ashamed at anything except for the Devs
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
    edited May 2013
    jjb828 wrote: »
    Why should anyone be ashamed at anything except for the Devs
    If you don't know then you may not have paid attention to the lessons you needed to learn. There is a productive way to complain and then there is what I have been reading here. There is very little constructive criticism on this forum. Lots of bashing, and X sucks. But very little constructive conversation.

I am sure that the DEVs are embarrassed by some of the exploits they missed, but in the years I have beta tested PnP & video games I have yet to see a DEV team get the game right the first time, second time or 12th time. I have been on Beta forums where the test groups talked things over, suggested improvements, saw those improvements used. Only to see the game exploited in ways we hadn't though of. Hundreds of Testers missed something Joe Gamer saw and ran with.

So yes, If you are not part of the solution, you should be ashamed of your actions.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I go to a mechanic, I expect him or her to know something about cars. When I go to a doctor, I expect him or her to know something about medicine. It would astound me if a mechanic didn’t understand what all those wheel-things were on the car. It would frighten me if a doctor hadn’t bothered to learn what blood does.

But Mechanics and Doctors have standards, criteria by which their profession is measured. It has been shown on more than one occasion that coding and, by extension, development has no standards. There are many ways to get the same outcome, many ways to solve problems. Standards might arguably make coding less efficient.

But a lack of standards also results in goofy results like reusing the AH interface from STO with the unfixed bug that existed back in the launch of STO. That’s how people knew to exploit it. A ticket was input on that and moldered in a pit of inaction until the situation finally erupted. Tickets being unanswered, exploits being advertised, extremely simple game situations that should have been discussed before a single line of code was adopted, I don’t see how these problems have anything to do with any behavior in these forums? These problems have more to do with behavior in the boardroom, behavior in the staff forums.

At this very moment there is a YouTube video that chronicles the exact process for hacking the game. The amount of time that remains unpatched is the extent of the problem and that has nothing to do with anyone here. There is a clear lack of work ethic and leadership among the staff and anyone familiar with a corporate methodology will see it clearly.

But don’t take my word for it. Look at what has already transpired; look at the flow of events from closed beta to now, the tickets that have been put in, the situations that have been allowed to fester. You tell me how you think they are doing. You tell me if you think they are masters of their art?

But perhaps you feel that, in spite of the devs lack of foresight, planning and effort, we should be supporting them. And that is an admirable if a somewhat odd sentiment given the severe tone of your post, OP. You would like us all to be more helpful but you get to shake your finger? You want us all to be more constructive while you castigate the community?

Here is a suggestion you may find constructive. Be the change you want to see. Be a leader. Show us all how it is supposed to be done. Do not be deterred if most do not follow you. Keep leading by example. Be a rock of diligence, a paragon of your own vision. If you want people to act a certain way, you go first and pave the way.

And while you are at it, consider picking up some coding skills. Cryptic can use all the help it can get.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    I believe they read, and probably laugh at some post, especially at some ridiculous suggest for the game that make them feel they can develop better, also some funny post indeed which try to make the game more like their other favourite game
  • johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    When I go to a mechanic, I expect him or her to know something about cars. When I go to a doctor, I expect him or her to know something about medicine. It would astound me if a mechanic didn’t understand what all those wheel-things were on the car. It would frighten me if a doctor hadn’t bothered to learn what blood does.

But Mechanics and Doctors have standards, criteria by which their profession is measured. It has been shown on more than one occasion that coding and, by extension, development has no standards. There are many ways to get the same outcome, many ways to solve problems. Standards might arguably make coding less efficient.

But a lack of standards also results in goofy results like reusing the AH interface from STO with the unfixed bug that existed back in the launch of STO. That’s how people knew to exploit it. A ticket was input on that and moldered in a pit of inaction until the situation finally erupted. Tickets being unanswered, exploits being advertised, extremely simple game situations that should have been discussed before a single line of code was adopted, I don’t see how these problems have anything to do with any behavior in these forums? These problems have more to do with behavior in the boardroom, behavior in the staff forums.

At this very moment there is a YouTube video that chronicles the exact process for hacking the game. The amount of time that remains unpatched is the extent of the problem and that has nothing to do with anyone here. There is a clear lack of work ethic and leadership among the staff and anyone familiar with a corporate methodology will see it clearly.

But don’t take my word for it. Look at what has already transpired; look at the flow of events from closed beta to now, the tickets that have been put in, the situations that have been allowed to fester. You tell me how you think they are doing. You tell me if you think they are masters of their art?

But perhaps you feel that, in spite of the devs lack of foresight, planning and effort, we should be supporting them. And that is an admirable if a somewhat odd sentiment given the severe tone of your post, OP. You would like us all to be more helpful but you get to shake your finger? You want us all to be more constructive while you castigate the community?

Here is a suggestion you may find constructive. Be the change you want to see. Be a leader. Show us all how it is supposed to be done. Do not be deterred if most do not follow you. Keep leading by example. Be a rock of diligence, a paragon of your own vision. If you want people to act a certain way, you go first and pave the way.

And while you are at it, consider picking up some coding skills. Cryptic can use all the help it can get.

Hats off to you, sir. Very well put.
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »

This is a complete PR reply. No he has no idea what is going on on the forums. He is simply trying to pass the game off in the best light he can to those who have not played yet. At the same time he is attempting to look to US like he has a clue what we think also.

Very tricky line to walk, but I have enjoyed circus side shows since childhood...Amusing and irritating rolled into one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Kudos for quoting from DB's Inferno, that book so new the ink is still wet.

The book is rather interesting though not as good as his earlier works. Still interesting none-the-less.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought for a minute that this thread might be about whether players actually read the forums or get news from any other source then from in-game... I'm still amazed at how many people had to ask about the state of the auction house or the reason it was down over the past few days in zone chat of all places....
  • deurkier1deurkier1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    they read 1 topic respond with a copy paste reply and then go back to their money baths
    edited May 2013

I thought I was being the change! However I have also been being that Paragon for at least 12 years as the forum communities have devolved into a lot of gimme.

As to the Coding skills... I have 20+ years as a Toolmaker, I don't want or need to learn a new job. I leave coding to the Coders. But if Johnny Public came up to me and (with no training) tried to tell me my job... I'd show him the power button and tell him to show me how to do my job. If he came to me and asked, "Would this work?" I'd discuss it with him.
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Cryptic doesn't have time to read these forums! They hire moderators and company reps to do it for them, these people pull out the good threads and not the stupid, negative and trolling threads, they show the intelligent and good threads to Cryptic, and this is why they don't respond or care about all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> we see on these forums!

All you trolls that write negative and insulting threads to Cryptic are a waste of your time! No Cryptic employee will EVER read your troll threads because the moderators and reps won't save your email and forward it to Cryptic devs and CEO's!

You want to be heard? Then write something that's intelligent, something that isn't filled with profanity and insults. Cause if you do, then you aren't communicating to Cryptic, you are just communicating to the forum community who wants to waste their time reading your waste of time.

BINGO!

If all the whinebags knew how the feedback/community rep process actually works, I'm guessing three quarters of them would suddenly stop posting out of sheer apathy. Nothing they've said or done over the past couple of weeks has had the kind of impact their self-important little brains were aiming for.

Your productive feedback gets passed along to the devs by community reps. Your trolling, griefing, insulting, offensive posts don't do anything but scroll off the front page after a while. The devs never see it. The news blurb from the OP isn't at all an exaggeration as far as the average dev team member knows.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    BINGO!

If all the whinebags knew how the feedback/community rep process actually works, I'm guessing three quarters of them would suddenly stop posting out of sheer apathy. Nothing they've said or done over the past couple of weeks has had the kind of impact their self-important little brains were aiming for.

Your productive feedback gets passed along to the devs by community reps. Your trolling, griefing, insulting, offensive posts don't do anything but scroll off the front page after a while. The devs never see it.

However, our lack of spending lasts forever....So weather or not you are correct in how this works..(and you are not 100% correct)..PWE still comes out shooting themselves in the foot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    However, our lack of spending lasts forever....So weather or not you are correct in how this works..(and you are not 100% correct)..PWE still comes out shooting themselves in the foot.

I AM 100% correct. When activity levels out or when, ya'know, they're not working on a friggin launch plus the next update, maybe some devs will have a look at the forums. You may or may not ever know. Some devs don't believe in community interaction, some do. I've heard this straight outta some of their mouths over the years. The ones who don't do it aren't being dicks to you if they're spending that time working on the game.

You guys need to get it through your stubborn little heads that your dev-bashing tactics aren't new. This is a 15+ year-old industry, even older if you include games older than Ultima Online. There's a reason why CMs and CRs are here. It's to provide a layer of insulation between people who have made a career out of being productive, and people who have seemingly made a career out of the reverse. Most of them have nothing in common with most of you. They're not going to want to buddy up.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    There's a reason why CMs and CRs are here. It's to provide a layer of insulation between people who have made a career out of being productive, and people who have seemingly made a career out of the reverse. Most of them have nothing in common with most of you. They're not going to want to buddy up.

This thinking is mostly why I cite a lack of leadership and perhaps courage. I don’t think I am bashing when I point out things that were handled in a wildly unprofessional manner. I don’t think I am bashing when I spotlight a problem that could have been solved with five minutes of conversation. When ten games in the past twelve years have all run into the same problem is there really an excuse for your game running into it as well?

I occasionally have to remind people, who send me questions or ask me about things in email, that they are sitting in front of the world’s most powerful and lowest paid research assistant. It’s like having a dictionary in front of you and open and still asking about the spelling of a word.

And to some degree I can accept that the populace will just go that way. But if you are trying to frame the staff as professionals who know their business, what excuse can there be for the glaring errors and apparent lack of parental supervision in this project?

But you know what might make a difference? Communication.

I am tough on the staff, critical and somewhat hard hearted but that’s mostly because I am pretty certain that I am talking to myself. If I were talking to another human being however, well that is a different story altogether. I have been present on threads where Devs have responded personally (sans the form letter) with calm and reasoned questions and responses. And that shaped me up right away. I wanted to be more personable, more engaging. I was no longer shouting in a vacuum but speaking to a person. And my mother taught me manners for just such a situation.

This layer of insulation may be a self fulfilling prophecy, creating the very situation it purports to avoid. Perhaps a little access to devs would call a few bluffs and show a few hands.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am tough on the staff, critical and somewhat hard hearted but that’s mostly because I am pretty certain that I am talking to myself. If I were talking to another human being however, well that is a different story altogether. I have been present on threads where Devs have responded personally (sans the form letter) with calm and reasoned questions and responses. And that shaped me up right away. I wanted to be more personable, more engaging. I was no longer shouting in a vacuum but speaking to a person. And my mother taught me manners for just such a situation.

If people only shaped up, and stopped shouting, and started thinking that there was actually a human being on the other side of the monitor, after a dev posted, that sort of explains why you don't tend to get dev posts..
    Also that their mothers should have been a bit more complete in their teachings.
  • brothertanbrothertan Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2013
    Hey op why don't you take the wool over your eyes and read this post again.
    True some people should be ashamed but so should the developers.

• mmogfailsmmogfails Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    They probably don't give 2 **** s about any one of us. As long as some suckers(Beta Testers) exist to fund their incompetence, it's ok. Measures will be taken when the number of the said suckers declines for some reason.
    edited May 2013
    I am Beta Testing a F2P game. I have given the DEVs no money. Being a Beta Tester does not mean you are giving them money hand over fist.
    edited May 2013
    brothertan wrote: »
    Hey op why don't you take the wool over your eyes and read this post again.
    True some people should be ashamed but so should the developers.
    How long was the game in Close Beta? What were we promised once the game went Open Beta?

I could care less if they wipe the game back to square one. I have gone through wipes in a Closed Beta. I have only played this game for what 3-4 weeks. Getting wiped now would be no big loss. Specifically for a game that I could be playing for a year or more. The DEVs have not threatened us with killing the game, insulted us, or any of the other myriad of bad behaviors I have seen on this forum.