test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Yet Another Review Trading Thread (YARTT)

2»

Comments

• Options
    seanc84seanc84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    jkpark wrote: »
    Ah, certain skills, was it? It usually says the skill (ie; religion or thievery) if it's a skill that's missing instead of an item, and as there was no skill listed, I assumed the latter. :)

I think that it doesn't do that by default and that usually people will put the skill in the response option. I could be wrong... at work, so I can't check. :p
    Into the Mind's Eye
    Chapter 1 - The Ruins of Webcrag --- Chapter 2 - Don't get your hopes up. Bored of the game.
  • Options
    notauriousnotaurious Member Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Going to play yours now. Please check out mine.

Memnon: Invoking the old god
    Code: NW-DJC4R9H3R

I think it will take the average player about 15 mins due to the encounters. It takes me about 10, and I fully know what to expect and how to handle it. Thanks!! I will post my full review to your quest post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Short Code Copy/Paste: NW-DJC4R9H3R
  • Options
    notauriousnotaurious Member Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Okay, I will have to do this quest again. I got all the way to the end, when the ghost left me a key. I didn't have room in my bags, so I did not get the key and could not complete the quest. I assume you have a final boss in the last room. So, up to that point:

1) Dialogue is good
    2) Story is good
    3) Encounters are reasonable
    4) I agree with another reviewer about the issue with the bone giant/red mages. I had to pillar hump a lot to get through that. It was certainly a challenge, not sure if you intended it to be that hard. Otherwise, encounters were well balanced and fun.
    5) Unlike that same reviewer, I found the caverns to be largely uneventful. You have a LARGE opportunity here for a few more encounters where the player is ambushed. I'd make use of that for the surprise/challenge element.

EDIT: I like some of your door mechanics, like how they are one way entries, like with the chain. I need to pick your brain on how to do that, as I am not so good with door limitations. Your quest seemed open, in that you could start at any of the main objectives, something else I'd like to get better at. Kudos.

Overall, good job. **** is my official rating, which I will put on the quest when I can come back and redo it. Grrrr, inventory. Please check out my quest, should be in the post before this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Short Code Copy/Paste: NW-DJC4R9H3R
  • Options
    seanc84seanc84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the feedback!

I think that undead boss encounter gets a lot more difficult than I intended at higher levels due to both mages summoning. I want it to be at least a little more challenging than the other encounters in the area, but not too much. I'll look at toning it down (or maybe trying to split up the casters so you don't have to fight them both at the same time).

Good idea with adding stuff to the cave area. There are some long areas without anything interesting.
    Into the Mind's Eye
    Chapter 1 - The Ruins of Webcrag --- Chapter 2 - Don't get your hopes up. Bored of the game.
  • Options
    crimsonconceptscrimsonconcepts Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    I have my first quest posted and I would like to find someone to take a look at it. I have run through it a few times and I think I got all the bugs out. Please let me know-

Quest Name: Emberbaths Planning
    Foundry Code: NW-DGU6CYPV4
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Please test my quests if you could...
    Crimsonconcepts:
    Emberbaths Planning - NW-DGU6CYPV4
    Fires Within - Goblin Attack (Part 1 of 5) - NW-DUXPXBR29
  • Options
    savagehenrrysavagehenrry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Name: Land of the Sloths
    Author: @savagehenrry
    Short Code: NW-DSAT5DENS

This is the second part of my campaign but doing the first part isn't necessary to understanding what is going on or enjoying this one. The first part provides some context mainly.

Will try and run yours tonight after work or tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ok... I have time for one review tonight (sorry, but drinking > Neverwinter... I should make a quest about how good hard cider is or something... but I digress).

A Small Dwarvish Grudge by @Cphonx (NW-DUI8A8I7R)

Ok... right off the bat I'd suggest having an objective that's a little more clear on what to do... "A small problem" doesn't really tell me where to go, especially with maps that can bug out and not show objectives.

The street to head to the metalworks seems unnecessary... I like that it has some NPCs to give it some character, but it didn't really add anything to the quest except the time it took to get there.

I like the flavor in the metalworks... adding dialog to NPCs to provide some story.

I got bored with the street encounters about a third of the way through. Every single group has a hexer and/or an enforcer. This feeling surfaced throughout the quest... it felt like a lot of the combat encounters were there just for the sake of having combat encounters. Especially through the caves below the manor, both going down and coming back up. I was kind of relieved to see the reward chest in the graveyard.

It felt weird to beat the boss (who I don't remember seeing or hearing about) before his reinforcements.

So I kind of did a lot of complaining, but I think overall it's pretty solid. I definitely like the lore tie-ins (it feels like you did a lot of research as far as that goes) and I enjoyed the overall story. All the seemingly pointless fighting just got in the way of really enjoying it.
    Into the Mind's Eye
  • Options
    bmoseley83bmoseley83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi all!

I love the idea of getting our quests out there for review for using the forums! Sweet!

I took the time to read through your thread...I'm alt-tabbing between this and the game right now, so I'll switch back to play your quest right away!

Feel free to check out my (@voyager4383) first quest "Phantoms" SC: nw-dkkjkfaa8. Starting point is Protector's Enclave. Quest end is difficult with one person, and easier as you increase in party members. I wish you could make bosses and place your own loot! Maybe in the future, right? I spent a few days tweaking and playtesting to make sure it is clean as possible. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Thanks guys and gals!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Running a few days behind, but looks like the requests are slowing down.

Ignum - Chapter 1 Path to the Underworld by @krtr (maddriver) (NW-DA4N8EOZD)

It took me over an hour to get through this thing, and I have one complaint:
    - The beggar sent me to Gyi, but I had already talked to her. She didn't have anything else to say.

There aren't many quests where I hope that it keeps going - this was amazing! Great story, perfect encounter difficulty and choices... and they all felt naturally placed. I loved all the little optional side details... I probably spent several times longer in the refugee area than I needed to.

This thing deserves more than 5 stars! I'll be watching for the next one pretty much every time I log on. :p
    Into the Mind's Eye
  • Options
    boomba66boomba66 Member Posts: 221 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nw-dsnzvhdyl "Where has Justice gone?" A very lore based module will trade with anyone who private messages me with there mod. Have reviewed three so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranmaranmaranmaranma Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll check yours out, TC. Try mine please. I was having issues getting it to show up in search, but sometimes you can get it with the code. Let me know if it doesn't show at all for you.

It's a story based quest with little combat. It's meant to be funny, and the dialogue trees are the main attraction, with numerous replies and optional text. Please, if you review it, take time to read as much as you can tolerate.

The Thawking
    NW-DORADB5YR
    @RanmaRanma
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ok, sorry for the delay for those of you who have actually run through my quest. My plan to get through some more reviews yesterday failed spectacularly.

Resurrection of Xunvrae - The Bones of Xunvrae by @Elimgarak83 (NWS-DNNZST5FJ)

Just a suggestion... I like that you added flavor text for interacting with the mushroom at the start, but it doesn't really tell me what interacting with the mushroom will do... the phrasing kind of sounds like I'll eat it and that would be bad. (Once I talked to the person walking around by the portal I figured out that I could pick up a mushroom.)

There's a lot of little spelling/grammar/punctuation issues. Kind of a pet peeve of mine, but I'll try to look past them since it seems like you have a cool story going and the environment is really well-done. :p

Wow... fighting on these narrow walkways as a rogue really makes me nervous. I'm used to rolling and teleporting all over the place, and it's really making me think about what I do - I like that!

I'm a rogue but can select the (Religion) option on the crypt entrance.

Idrith's sarcophagus is still usable after you pull him out.

It looks like the Mind Controlled Guard is set to stop combat when you "kill" him. However, he doesn't despawn. So now he and the ogre exist at the same time leading to an existentialist paradox and booting me from the game. (Ok, not really... but I can't open the door behind him.)

After the torch puzzle (very nice, by the way), the spider web decals on the floor are kind of stretched out. Awesome little jumping puzzle with the rocks! (And Planescape references!) His remains weren't very talkative. :(

Another dialog-skill bug: the Crumbling Golem lets me pick Arcane/Religion as a rogue (and Intelligence... not sure if that was intended).

Lore quibble... do demons usually make contracts? That seems a devilish thing to do. (Or... if Zilv is a devil, what was he saying about the Abyss?) :p

Ok, overall I thought it was really good! Really detailed story and environments... a lot of characters (can't say I remembered them all)... interesting puzzles. The only down-side were the typos/spelling issues throughout the quest. Still, definitely worth playing! Looking forward to the next one.
    Into the Mind's Eye
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Invoking the Old God by @notaurious (NW-DJC4R9H3R)

So the former secretary of the interior is now being drained by an old god... :p

You have a portal that seems to be in the middle of a column. Can't interact with it due to being out of line of sight... I'm assuming this is an abort portal?

Right past the first gate it looks like there's a dark tunnel, but there's nothing beyond the archway.

You have to change the costumes of the fire mobs that spawn once you backtrack for the key. As a rogue, I was unable to hit them except with my encounter powers. I'll keep going and rate it under the assumption that they'll be changed to something that I can at least hit with my at-wills. :p

Ok, the maze is still too crazy. I don't know if it's my hireling or the way the walls work, but I seem to pull stuff that's on other sides of walls. Add in summoning mobs and I get overwhelmed extremely quickly. This is the first quest I actually died in. Also, the blade spider is a very bad choice due to its massive aoe damage attack. And another fire striker bird thing I couldn't hit!

Once again at the end of the maze I was unable to continue due to being in combat with the cultists on the other side of the gate which I couldn't open because I was in combat.

It seems like you have a solid idea of what you want to do and if I had been able to a) actually hit mobs, b) make it through the maze without people aggroing through walls, and c) actually finish the quest I would have liked it a lot. As it is now, though, it needs a lot of work.
    Into the Mind's Eye
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ok... couple more reviews to do for those who've run mine.

Land of the Sloths by @savagehenrry (NW-DSAT5DENS)

It tells me to talk to Gartan but sends me to Nobleman Burkhard.

It was weird to see a bunch of bodies suddenly appear after interacting with the fourth stone.

With the piles of rocks you use to block of stairs, there are a lot of floating rocks that just hang there. Also, is it possible to jump down to the lower level and not make it back up? I don't want to test it out and have to restart the quest. :-/

Also... I noticed the "slots" use gender-specific language. Female characters running the quest might get confused. :p

Ok... the NPC dialogs were nice, but in the end this quest was basically one giant hallway with a bunch of encounters in it. I wouldn't really recommend it to someone... all the story is in people talking to me and not so much how the quest is set up. Reminds me of "show, don't tell." It wasn't a bad quest... just didn't have anything that made it stick out. :-/
    Into the Mind's Eye
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Easy Coin... Right? by @todocaldo (NW-DFGF2UXQH)

I was a bit confused where to go at first (I tend to read descriptions rather than look at the map). :p

You have some floating sticks in the next map. I really like all the detail though... is this a premade one?

The first objective was a little confusing that you had to pick the right dialog option to complete it.

The mayor's house seemed unnecessary... just an extra load screen to sit through.

Overall I thought it was a very good quest! My only complaints were the things listed above... and that some of the encounters were not very companion-friendly at all. Mainly the ogres (which are easy enough as it is) and the last fight with all the AOE. They were both doable... just frustrating to see my cleric continuously stand in red circles... but I guess that's more of a complaint about NW's AI than the quest itself. :p

I enjoyed it!
    Into the Mind's Eye
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I will look through the quests in this thread this evening (I, too, work during the day) and play through/review those with under 5 reviews.

I would appreciate it if several readers of this thread would review my quest so that I can at least break the 5 review threshold to reach the general population. Details are in my signature block.

Thank you!
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    azurie1azurie1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    If people would i would appreciate some looks and reviews on these quest specially reviews on ways to improve the quest in any way ty much guys

NW-DCGD2ZXOC - group or very very hard solo NW-DD73HF8R7 - solo NW-DGHJ3R2CO - solo

i am slowly working on ways to toss in more story while progressing through the map none of it required mind ya but all of it somewhat usefull in some way.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    ranmaranma wrote: »
    I'll check yours out, TC. Try mine please. I was having issues getting it to show up in search, but sometimes you can get it with the code. Let me know if it doesn't show at all for you.

It's a story based quest with little combat. It's meant to be funny, and the dialogue trees are the main attraction, with numerous replies and optional text. Please, if you review it, take time to read as much as you can tolerate.

The Thawking
    NW-DORADB5YR
    @RanmaRanma

I was able to find the quest just fine (only tried with the code). Something strange happened when I completed the quest... the review dialog box popped up and went away immediately, so I could not leave a review. I'll try and replay this evening to give you an official review. Until then here are my notes:

- The humor focuses on poking fun at MMO's. It is mostly meta-game humor. Some people will love it, some will dislike that their suspension of disbelief keeps getting suspended.
    - The well leading right into the building was a bit strange for me, even in the context of a humorous quest.
    - Sunfog ran right past me after I started a dialog. Probably a Foundry issue.
    - Not sure this will average the 15 minutes needed to get "Foundry" credit. I guess that depends on how fast people read the dialog.

With the caveat "you have to like this kind of humor" I would give it 4/5 stars. Maybe it would be 5/5 if I personally love that kind of humor. Not sure what specifically to change to earn that last star, since the whole premise is the humor and that is only partially my thing.

For those that like meta-game humor very much worth playing!

PS - If you have a moment, I would appreciate if you could review my first quest A Strange Merchant (NW-DAK2BFO2X)
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    bmaster420bmaster420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Power of Mt. Masterdon
    NW-DPPQ5SW4H
    @BMaster420

I will start reviewing others on this thread!